The Swine Flu Concern

along-for-the-ride

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by along-for-the-ride »

The Swine Flu is in the Headlines this week. Could it be an upcoming pandemic?

Swine Flu: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Outbreak

Your responses...........
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
farmer giles

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by farmer giles »

thanks AFTR :thinking::thinking::thinking:

that spanish flu killed 40 million people in 1918 try not to panic though :-3:-3
Sunshine

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Sunshine »

along-for-the-ride;1180698 wrote: The Swine Flu is in the Headlines this week. Could it be an upcoming pandemic?

Wow, I didn't know about this. I just got my flu shot last week too. I wonder if it will protect me from this new strain?
along-for-the-ride

The Swine Flu Concern

I started this thread not to scare everyone, but for us to be aware of the situation. If we can prepare ourselves with information, we can confront the problem and deal with it effectively.

The last thing we would need is panic.

In the article it states there are many strains of the flu. And these strains are constantly mutating. So, if you have received a flu shot as I have, this may not protect you from this flu.
Bryn Mawr

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bryn Mawr »

along-for-the-ride;1180698 wrote: The Swine Flu is in the Headlines this week. Could it be an upcoming pandemic?

So far it is a single source with no evidence of a mutation that can pass from human to human = no pandemic
fuzzywuzzy

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Biggest load of political scare tactics I've seen since the SARS and avian.

different strains of flu kill millions every year .........So why isn't everyone afraid of the average flu that goes around and kills people all the time. Are we that full of it and so immuned from being sick that we panic because the news papers know how to write a good head line?

Think of the timing of this "alert" and compare it to the timing of the other "alerts" . Come on guys surely your not falling for this....

Have a look at the footage of doctors treating patients in mexico. Are they wearing gloves and masks?
minks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by minks »

A cull?

A coverup?

A money maker?

It has to make you wonder doesn't it.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
fuzzywuzzy

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I've decided it's time to buy shares in a drug compnay.......I'll be rich!!!!

Nobody makes money from a cure, it's all in the research and prevention. They don't want to find a cure for anything (although I believe it's sitting there in a lab somewhere ) There's no money in it.................and yes I believe they are that evil!!!!

Think about it who really dies when a pandemic breaks out? we may lose a few but it's those in third world countries eating the food that we should have when the depression of the world becomes really bad. <------tongue in cheek.
chonsigirl

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by chonsigirl »

I do not think it is a pandemic, it has a small number of isolated cases. But I had several students already tell me they might be staying home until it's over! Like what!
fuzzywuzzy

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Until what's all over? Nothing has happened.!!:-5 Eight cases were reported in Queensland and every one of them turned out to be another sickness.

Lets face it every single generation gets this stupid " YOU"RE ALL GONNA DIE" crap . I've actually had to stop the kids watching hte news because they are worried. when was the last time people died from flu? The spanish? And that's only becuase there were no drugs and starvation to boot . No body does well when they are half starved. that's why they died.
minks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by minks »

fuzzywuzzy;1180726 wrote: I've decided it's time to buy shares in a drug compnay.......I'll be rich!!!!

Nobody makes money from a cure, it's all in the research and prevention. They don't want to find a cure for anything (although I believe it's sitting there in a lab somewhere ) There's no money in it.................and yes I believe they are that evil!!!!

Think about it who really dies when a pandemic breaks out? we may lose a few but it's those in third world countries eating the food that we should have when the depression of the world becomes really bad.

Yep I have to agree with ya there Fuzz, lets look at..... ooo...... let's say PMS (Premenstral Sydrome) every woman has likely experienced some degree of PMS yet our mothers, their mothers, and their mothers mothers never gave it much thought until this new generation because WE HAVE A PILL FOR IT NOW and everybody has PMS Oh My Bloody Gawd!

― Mae West
fuzzywuzzy

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I remember a woman who was an absolute bitch one day at a friends house . We were all looking at each other and then her husband turned to us and said. "You know, she was never like this until she found out about PMS." ......I pissed myself laughing. You know? You may be a bit sore or bloated but does the whole world have to know about it?:-5:yh_rotfl
Victoria

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Victoria »

Im sure more people got killed yesterday in car accidents than this swine flu will claim but you dont see everyone leaving their cars at home!

Its just another media hype.

Everytime someone from our house goes out we all yell dont kiss any pigs!
Sunshine

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Sunshine »

copied from one of our local news sources. Illinois

“The problem is, nobody has ever seen this,” he said. “It’s a combination of genetic material from birds and from pigs and from humans that, then, all came together in pigs and now have been transferred to humans.”

Viruses mutate all the time, “that’s why every year we come out with a new flu vaccination, because we try to predict which ones we’re going to see and, then occasionally, we get this where we get a recombination and we have something that nobody has ever seen and it spreads fast.”

Bacon expects the virus to eventually reach most communities across the country.

“We truly hope we can contain it at this outbreak level,” he said. “That being said, as early as this is and as rapidly as the numbers are increasing, I think we’re all in the public health community and the health-care community concerned that it could pretty quickly expand beyond that.

“It’s going to really be a challenge for all us, at the international level all the way to each one of us individually, to defeat this thing. It’s going to be a race.”

Stephanie Seaworth, assistant administrator of the Boone County Health Department, said the department is on heightened surveillance and urging clinics to test people with flulike symptoms for the disease.

Ellen Genrich, the department’s health education and community outreach coordinator, said officials are reminding callers that the virus cannot be spread by eating or preparing pork, which is one of the most frequently asked questions.
mikeinie

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by mikeinie »

The World Health Organization has increased it level to 4 which is at its highest since the 1968 outbreak of the Hong Kong virus that killed 1,000,000 people.

There are 4 cases of swine Flu reported in Ireland this morning.

See the attached link, it is good information

Swine Flu: Where to find virus, track outbreak, learn symptoms, more | The Toybox | ZDNet.com

Map of global outbreaks:

H1N1 Swine Flu - Google Maps

(no, the flu shot will not help against this one)
mikeinie

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by mikeinie »

fuzzywuzzy;1180709 wrote: Biggest load of political scare tactics I've seen since the SARS and avian.

different strains of flu kill millions every year .........So why isn't everyone afraid of the average flu that goes around and kills people all the time. Are we that full of it and so immuned from being sick that we panic because the news papers know how to write a good head line?

Think of the timing of this "alert" and compare it to the timing of the other "alerts" . Come on guys surely your not falling for this....

Have a look at the footage of doctors treating patients in mexico. Are they wearing gloves and masks?

Don’t be so fast to dismiss this, SARS was very serious, but because thankfully the WHO acted quickly and got it under control stopping it from being a major incident does not mean that it was not a real threat at the time.

True however that once again the media loves this stuff and do not get sucked into the fear factor. Last night on the BBC you would think the world was coming to an end and millions and millions were going to die. They are so irresponsible.

Remember the simple things your mom taught you:

1. Wash your hands

2. Keep your hands away from your mouth and eyes.

3. Cover your mouth when you cough.

4. Sneeze into a tissue, then get rid of it.
fuzzywuzzy

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Okay :D

Has anyone, in any country of the world closed it's borders to the AIDS epidemic?

You think a flu is going to stop business?

dont you do this during any flu epidemic?

. 1. Wash your hands

don't you do this normally?

40 kids in the US have come down with this flu ........not one seriously,,,,,,,,,,hello? It's just a flu. look after your older folk and youngings they should be protected during any flu outbreak
mikeinie

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by mikeinie »

fuzzywuzzy;1180882 wrote: Okay :D

Has anyone, in any country of the world closed it's borders to the AIDS epidemic?

You think a flu is going to stop business?

dont you do this during any flu epidemic?

don't you do this normally?

40 kids in the US have come down with this flu ........not one seriously,,,,,,,,,,hello? It's just a flu. look after your older folk and youngings they should be protected during any flu outbreak

I do, but you know what?? Don’t think for one second that everyone else does.

I was out last Friday night in a local bar, and as one does, went to the toilets. I noticed during my time in the washroom that only about half of the other men that came in and out while I was in there bothered to wash their hands on the way out.
Bryn Mawr

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bryn Mawr »

mikeinie;1180884 wrote: I do, but you know what?? Don’t think for one second that everyone else does.

I was out last Friday night in a local bar, and as one does, went to the toilets. I noticed during my time in the washroom that only about half of the other men that came in and out while I was in there bothered to wash their hands on the way out.

Damn'd good argument against shaking hands with people :-(
Bill Sikes

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bill Sikes »

Stupidity. From today's "Daily Telegraph":

"Thousands of British holidaymakers are to be repatriated from Mexico after leading travel operators announced they were cancelling all flights to the country because of the swine flu outbreak.

Travel giant TUI, which owns Thomson and First Choice holidays, said it was suspending its services to the resort of Cancun and would begin flying back Britons currently in the country later today. "

This applies to people who *want* to return early.

So, when they're back, do they straight away mingle with the general popupation of the UK, or spend 10 days or so in quarantine?? Now, let me guess.....

If this really *was* very deadly, then this would be most unhelpful.
minks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by minks »

mikeinie;1180862 wrote: Don’t be so fast to dismiss this, SARS was very serious, but because thankfully the WHO acted quickly and got it under control stopping it from being a major incident does not mean that it was not a real threat at the time.

True however that once again the media loves this stuff and do not get sucked into the fear factor. Last night on the BBC you would think the world was coming to an end and millions and millions were going to die. They are so irresponsible.

Remember the simple things your mom taught you:

1. Wash your hands

gosh weren't we all taught this as children????? Sadly and please I mean no offense but sadly these pandemic scares come from countries that often don't even use toilet paper, don't have the hygeine standards we do etc and they come to cultures that do and these bugs spread and we think we are all going to die. It's a shame it gets pushed to panic levels.

― Mae West
mikeinie

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by mikeinie »

outbreaks are being investigated in other places including Ireland, Germany, Italy, Sweden and Denmark.

Swine flu unstoppable, WHO warns

Swine flu unstoppable, WHO warns | World news | guardian.co.uk
Bill Sikes

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bill Sikes »

Well, "every household in the UK is going to receive a leaflet", apparently. Nice that someone's showing concern, but not nice that this *level* of concern is being shown.
fuzzywuzzy

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'm more concerned that everyone is being told to leave Mexico. What is about to go down in Mexico ? What are they going to do to the people of Mexico? will they begin shooting Mexicans crossing the border for health reasons? Scare people enough and nobody will mind.:-5:-5
Bill Sikes

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bill Sikes »

People are being told to - or, as far as I know, being advised to - leave Mexico, or only go there if really necessary. This is shortly going to be rather shallow advice, since global travel has spread this virus far more quickly than it would have spread without.

What's going to happen in Mexico, & what are they going to do to the people? Not much, I suspect. It's not just Mexico, now - it's spread about a bit! Too late to limit the spread of this to one place.

On the news just now - "the virus hasn't killed anyone else because it's weakened as it's spread over a larger area" - claptrap.

No idea what the final effects will be, though.
Bryn Mawr

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bill Sikes;1181237 wrote: People are being told to - or, as far as I know, being advised to - leave Mexico, or only go there if really necessary. This is shortly going to be rather shallow advice, since global travel has spread this virus far more quickly than it would have spread without.

What's going to happen in Mexico, & what are they going to do to the people? Not much, I suspect. It's not just Mexico, now - it's spread about a bit! Too late to limit the spread of this to one place.

On the news just now - "the virus hasn't killed anyone else because it's weakened as it's spread over a larger area" - claptrap.

No idea what the final effects will be, though.

Totally agree that the virus has not had time to reduce its virulence and distance is not important when we fly it round the world for free.

It does appear that, whilst contagious, it is not deadly when treated in a modern hospital.
along-for-the-ride

The Swine Flu Concern

And now, we're supposed to start calling this flu something other than "swine flu".

Newsvine - US rooting around for a new name for swine flu

Let's not "diss" the pig.
G-man

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by G-man »

along-for-the-ride;1181245 wrote: And now, we're supposed to start calling this flu something other than "swine flu".

I prefer to refer to it as the pig flu. It may not be as cool on a t-shirt or bumper sticker as some of the other names, but... it's simple and unpretentious.

For those unfamiliar with swine flu check out the wikipedia page: Swine Flu.

So far there have been cases reported in California, Kansas, New York, Ohio, Texas, Indiana, British Columbia Canada and Mexico.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Bill Sikes

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bill Sikes »

along-for-the-ride;1181245 wrote: And now, we're supposed to start calling this flu something other than "swine flu".

On the news, I saw someone from some US gov't department saying how much they were doing to reassure people that pork is safe to eat, and furtthermore how much they were doing to ensure that "trading partners" (export markets?) were aware that US exports were quite alright, and it would not be justifiable to restrict them, so they'd better bloody well not - all that sort of thing.

Not 1/4 so much on the human situation!
Sunshine

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Sunshine »

I discovered that there is a case reported in Chicago. Now that is far to close to home for me. I work with the publc everyday. Some come off the Greyhound bus and are coming out of Mexico. I am starting to get paranoid and am using alot of hand sanitizer as I have to be face to face with them and handle their money.
qsducks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by qsducks »

Sunshine;1181492 wrote: I discovered that there is a case reported in Chicago. Now that is far to close to home for me. I work with the publc everyday. Some come off the Greyhound bus and are coming out of Mexico. I am starting to get paranoid and am using alot of hand sanitizer as I have to be face to face with them and handle their money.

Yuck! Yes, good to get the hand sanitier though. My daughter also works with the public & so does hubs....wash your hands constantly you two....don't need this again. We already had a bout with the flu back in February and it took a toll on us.

There is a story coming out of Texas where a toddler has died from it, but the great authorities can't figure out if the baby was of US or Mexican descent. How brill!:rolleyes:
Bill Sikes

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bill Sikes »

qsducks;1181510 wrote: There is a story coming out of Texas where a toddler has died from it, but the great authorities can't figure out if the baby was of US or Mexican descent. rolleyes:

I don't think "descent" makes much difference. However, it seems that this baby lived in Mexico, and was visiting.
qsducks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by qsducks »

Bill Sikes;1181513 wrote: I don't think "descent" makes much difference. However, it seems that this baby lived in Mexico, and was visiting.

Well, the government couldn't figure it out but said the baby probs came over the border via Brownsville which is on the border.
mikeinie

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by mikeinie »

Given the current economic situation, let’s call it Banker’s Flu,...it is about as close to swine as you will get…
qsducks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by qsducks »

mikeinie;1181524 wrote: Given the current economic situation, let’s call it Banker’s Flu,...it is about as close to swine as you will get…

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
mikeinie

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by mikeinie »

The WHO has increased the alert to level 5

WHO warns swine flu threatening to become pandemic
Bill Sikes

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bill Sikes »

mikeinie;1181766 wrote: The WHO has increased the alert to level 5

In that article, "Egypt is slaughtering 100,000 pigs" - that's bloody silly.
mikeinie

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by mikeinie »

Bill Sikes;1181767 wrote: In that article, "Egypt is slaughtering 100,000 pigs" - that's bloody silly.

I know, how stupid is that….?
Bryn Mawr

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Two cases now confirmed in London
qsducks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by qsducks »

I'm wondering about this trip we have planned to Ireland.....:thinking:. Of course, it's not till June...but still.:thinking:
Bryn Mawr

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by Bryn Mawr »

qsducks;1181900 wrote: I'm wondering about this trip we have planned to Ireland.....:thinking:. Of course, it's not till June...but still.:thinking:

By then it will all be over - or the choice will be out of your hands.
qsducks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by qsducks »

Bryn Mawr;1181914 wrote: By then it will all be over - or the choice will be out of your hands.

I know it will be over but I'm just hoping we don't get it. It's already in our state:-5. We also surrounded by New York, Ohio, New Jersey, Delaware & West Virginia..so just a matter of time I suppose. Don't want to even think about it.
YZGI

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by YZGI »

qsducks;1181900 wrote: I'm wondering about this trip we have planned to Ireland.....:thinking:. Of course, it's not till June...but still.:thinking:
I'm supposed to go on a cruise next month with a stop in Mexico..:-5:-5
qsducks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by qsducks »

YZGI;1181922 wrote: I'm supposed to go on a cruise next month with a stop in Mexico..:-5:-5

Don't get off the boat!!!!!
mikeinie

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by mikeinie »

Oh come on over, we love swines here and do not discriminate flu or no flu.

Sure, it is nothing that a good shot or two of Jameson Whiskey can’t take care of.
qsducks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by qsducks »

mikeinie;1181943 wrote: Oh come on over, we love swines here and do not discriminate flu or no flu.

Sure, it is nothing that a good shot or two of Jameson Whiskey can’t take care of.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl...I'll bring the scrapple!
mikeinie

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by mikeinie »

qsducks;1181945 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl...I'll bring the scrapple!

The worst that can happen is that we have an out-break and we are all quarantined together… wait a minute… that would be a party.. :guitarist:yh_dance
qsducks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by qsducks »

mikeinie;1181946 wrote: The worst that can happen is that we have an out-break and we are all quarantined together… wait a minute… that would be a party.. :guitarist:yh_dance

:wah::wah:. And we could drive each other nuts!:wah:
minks

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by minks »

2 confirmed cases here in Calgary. Might I offer up a small reality check here.....

these are confirmed cases... not deaths, it means these people have gone to the Dr. and have been likely treated and should survive.

I really hope everybody understands when they say "cases" they don't mean "deaths".

so currently here in my fair city is the persentage of our population with confirmed swine flu.....000002%

I think the real worry should come when we see these as confirmed deaths.

I am not playing this down to be a jerk, but if there is an influenza outbreak we generally take the usual precautions, wash your hands, be cognisent of your surroundings when in the public, cover your mouth when you cough and if you start to feel poorly call your doctor. If you feel poorly for a long time call your doctor.

Common sense.

― Mae West
YZGI

The Swine Flu Concern

Post by YZGI »

There are actually only 7 CONFIRMED deaths in Mexico so far. The rest are just suspected. According to CNN and BBC.

Return to “Health Care”