Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Clint

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Clint »

Most of my life I believed that if I just loved Jesus I didn't have to pay attention to stuff from the "Old Testament". Recently, these things are becoming obvious to me so I will point them out for others to consider.

Both Swine Flu and Avian Flu are the result of ignoring laws recorded in religious books. If, as Jewish and Islamic cultures do, the rest of the world refused to eat pork there wouldn’t be swine to pass along the disease. It is also likely our exposure to Avian Flu would be reduced to the point of insignificance if Mosaic Law (Leviticus 11) was given credence.

I am begining to learn that when we ignore these ancient warnings we do it at our own peril. They were written for our good.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Richard Bell

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Richard Bell »

Clint;1180237 wrote:

Both Swine Flu and Avian Flu are the result of ignoring laws recorded in religious books.

Nonsense.

Viruses were mutating long before humans or even hominids were walking on Earth, and they will continue to mutate long after our species is gone.
qsducks

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by qsducks »

Oh just great!!!!:thinking: Do I now have to give up bacon, hotdogs, scrapple, etc. to avoid this? Actually, I'm hoping we don't get it as we were really sick with some virus over the winter...just what I need, another effing virus!:-5 It has already hit New York and we are right below them....ok..that's it...I'm taking my Clorox spray cleaner out for the entire duration of the spring! Grocery cart handles are disgusting!:-5
Clint

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Clint »

Richard Bell;1180439 wrote: Nonsense.

Viruses were mutating long before humans or even hominids were walking on Earth, and they will continue to mutate long after our species is gone.

They don't get named "Swine Flu" and "Avian Flu" for no reason. They were saying today that Swine Flu can be transmitted by just handeling raw pork.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
FUBAR

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by FUBAR »

Clint;1180237 wrote: Most of my life I believed that if I just loved Jesus I didn't have to pay attention to stuff from the "Old Testament". Recently, these things are becoming obvious to me so I will point them out for others to consider.

Both Swine Flu and Avian Flu are the result of ignoring laws recorded in religious books. If, as Jewish and Islamic cultures do, the rest of the world refused to eat pork there wouldn’t be swine to pass along the disease. It is also likely our exposure to Avian Flu would be reduced to the point of insignificance if Mosaic Law (Leviticus 11) was given credence.

I am begining to learn that when we ignore these ancient warnings we do it at our own peril. They were written for our good.

So how does not eating pork stop Avian Flu? Ancient people thought diseases were caused by little demons or a gods wrath for some undetermined act the god didn't like (usually seeing some other god on the side). Flu is flu no matter what it is called, Spanish flu killed more people than WW1. Come into the modern era , the last time religious law was paramount it is called the Dark Ages. Even a little Google can be more help than the bible, sometimes facts are more help than fiction....

How swine flu spreads in humans - Los Angeles Times

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

:)
Snowfire

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Snowfire »

As I understand it , its not the eating of pork that passes on the virus, so I do not understand the rationale of Swine flu being a product of not following ancient biblical texts.

With respect, the laws of requirement and forbidment in the Old Testament are completely alien to a modern world. I'm not sure how you think it would all fit in, least of all the consumption of certain foods such as pigs and shellfish to name a few
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Clint

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Clint »

Snowfire;1180513 wrote: As I understand it , its not the eating of pork that passes on the virus, so I do not understand the rationale of Swine flu being a product of not following ancient biblical texts.

With respect, the laws of requirement and forbidment in the Old Testament are completely alien to a modern world. I'm not sure how you think it would all fit in, least of all the consumption of certain foods such as pigs and shellfish to name a few

If we didn't eat pork the pig population would probably be small in proportion to present populations. Fewer pigs...less exposure.
Snowfire

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Snowfire »

Clint . What other considerations do you think you should observe in regards to the Old Testament. If the consumption of pork is one, should you not consider all of them
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Clint

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Clint »

Snowfire;1180523 wrote: Clint . What other considerations do you think you should observe in regards to the Old Testament. If the consumption of pork is one, should you not consider all of them

Yes, we should consider all of them. Some are of no use today but some are and we shouldn't discard the ones that are of use just because they come from a religious document.

Sorry, I have to go to work now. Have a great day!
Oscar Namechange

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Oscar Namechange »

My brother-in laws sister was one of the very few pwople in this country who died from Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. Nothing to do with pigs.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Sunshine

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Sunshine »

#11...thou shalt not take BBQ pork ribs from anyone or KFC for that matter.
qsducks

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by qsducks »

Sunshine;1180633 wrote: #11...thou shalt not take BBQ pork ribs from anyone or KFC for that matter.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl does this mean I have to wear rubber gloves tonight while making a pork roast?:thinking:
Bryn Mawr

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Bryn Mawr »

qsducks;1180667 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl does this mean I have to wear rubber gloves tonight while making a pork roast?:thinking:

As long as the pork (or chicken) is fully cooked (meat thermometer show 70+ in the centre of the meat) and you observe basic hygiene precautions then you cannot catch flu from it.
qsducks

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by qsducks »

Bryn Mawr;1180675 wrote: As long as the pork (or chicken) is fully cooked (meat thermometer show 70+ in the centre of the meat) and you observe basic hygiene precautions then you cannot catch flu from it.

It's a teriyaki pork loin that I bought the other day before the outbreak, etc. Oh, I've cooked loads of them before...just need to wash your hands. Good thing I've got loads of bleach around.
farmer giles

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by farmer giles »

pigs might fly ......... swine flew i mean swine flu is there a connection :thinking::thinking:
Sunshine

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Sunshine »

qsducks;1180681 wrote: It's a teriyaki pork loin that I bought the other day before the outbreak, etc. Oh, I've cooked loads of them before...just need to wash your hands. Good thing I've got loads of bleach around.

Out break, what outbreak? Have I missed something about a flu outbreak?
Clint

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Clint »

Here's some useful information.

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say swine flu viruses cannot be spread by food, so people cannot be infected by ingesting pork or pork products. The U.S. government noted that cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160 F destroys all viruses, and it also advised people to wash their hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after touching raw pork and to avoid any risk of contaminating other foods by contact with raw pork."

U.S. braces for swine flu pandemic - UPI.com
Ted

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Ted »

My understanding from the news reports is that the flu can only be distributed in the water droplets of a cough or sneeze.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Clint

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Clint »

Ted;1181301 wrote: My understanding from the news reports is that the flu can only be distributed in the water droplets of a cough or sneeze.

Shalom

Ted:-6

It can also be spread by shaking hands or touching something that has been contaminated. It's going to be hard to avoid as any flu is.

It's odd that it's killing people in Mexico but doesn't seem to be deadly in other places.:confused:
Bryn Mawr

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clint;1181316 wrote: It can also be spread by shaking hands or touching something that has been contaminated. It's going to be hard to avoid as any flu is.

It's odd that it's killing people in Mexico but doesn't seem to be deadly in other places.:confused:

Neither have I seen any reports of it killing any pigs - even in Mexico :confused:
Clint

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Clint »

Bryn Mawr;1181352 wrote: Neither have I seen any reports of it killing any pigs - even in Mexico :confused:

Good Morning! It hasn't killed any door knobs either.
Bryn Mawr

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clint;1181417 wrote: Good Morning! It hasn't killed any door knobs either.

Que?

Being swine flu with a main mode of transmission through pigs I found it surprising, thats all.
chonsigirl

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, they just announced 6 "possible" cases in Maryland, that will be enough to keep alot of kids out of school tomorrow.....................
Bez

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Bez »

Alert has been raised to LEVEL 5

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | WHO raises pandemic alert level
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bryn Mawr

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bez;1181659 wrote: Alert has been raised to LEVEL 5

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | WHO raises pandemic alert level

That's the major jump - human to human transmission. Now we see how bad it gets.

I still think the danger is being overstated given the current mild symptoms being exhibited outside of Mexico. It is quite possible that the original strain is nasty but severely weakened when passed from one human to another.
Carolly

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Carolly »

Bryn Mawr;1181668 wrote: That's the major jump - human to human transmission. Now we see how bad it gets.

I still think the danger is being overstated given the current mild symptoms being exhibited outside of Mexico. It is quite possible that the original strain is nasty but severely weakened when passed from one human to another.I watched News At 10 before Bryn and its not looking good I have to say and have many people very worried here already.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Bryn Mawr

Swine Flu and Avian Flu

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Carolly;1181674 wrote: I watched News At 10 before Bryn and its not looking good I have to say and have many people very worried here already.

Different vectors of transmission product different results - we can only hope that it is only through direct transmission that there is a danger of death and indeed, that where the transmission is from human to human it could act as a vaccine and protect you against the full blown infection.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”