Post Polio Syndrome Late Effects of Polio

tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

PolioNetworkVictoria

Interesting series of videos of some of the notables in the PPS world discussing this condition.

Some of the people interviewed are

Dr Richard Bruno; Dr Sophia Chun; Mr Richard Daggett; Dr Marcia Falconer; Ms Melinda Guttry; Dr Lauro Halstead; Ms Joan Headley; Dr William DeMayo; Dr Susan Perlman; Dr Jacquelin Perry; Dr Darren Rosenberg; Ms Anna Rubin; and Dr Daria Trojan.

It was Dr Marcia Falconer that I owe my recovery to Heres the paper

Inflammation and PPS

that set me on the track to getting my PPS under control.

Control inflammation and you control pain.

Chronic Pain Vitamin D

It took me far too long to understand how fat cells exacerbate inflammatory status.

When I lost weight on low carb diet that made a huge difference not only to my mobility but also my pain levels.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Interesting with the correlation between Low Back Pain & Vitamin D..

I've been in severe pain since 1995 and will step up my dose of Vtamin D, since the Sun distributes Vitamin D and it's in the 80's here

I'll go Tan now

Patsy
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Patsy Warnick;1167955 wrote: Interesting with the correlation between Low Back Pain & Vitamin D..

I've been in severe pain since 1995 and will step up my dose of Vtamin D, since the Sun distributes Vitamin D and it's in the 80's here

I'll go Tan now

Patsy more pain/vitamin d related information.

Regarding sun exposure and vitamin d. There are a few points you may not be aware of.

I'm sure you are aware of the dangers of TOO much sun exposure that leads to sunburn but this video explains the problems caused by excessive sunscreen/sunblock use.

Skin Cancer/Sunscreen - the Dilemma

So in order to maximise the UVB exposure while minimizing the amount of UVA exposure you are best advised to expose as MUCH skin as possible for around 20~30 minutes depending on skin type. Laying day, at midday naked is ideal.

When the measured the Vitamin D from outdoor workers in Omaha they found they only average 2800iu/daily throughout the year. So if people who work outdoors all day every day can't make sufficient while wearing clothes we need to expose more skin but for a shorter time.

The problem is that vitamin D synthesis is a self limiting process.

Once the UVB hits the cholesterol near the skin surface D3 is made. But further UVB on that D3 turns it to supra sterols.

These aren't used by your body.

So longer stays in the sun may increase your tan but will not improve your D3

In fact long exposures are counterproductive.

By the time you burn there is no D3 left to repair the damage or deal with the inflammation.

I mentioned that Vitamin D is made by UVB acting on Cholesterol in your skin. As you age your skin gets thinner because there is less cholesterol in it. So as you age your skin had less cholesterol and a lower ability to generate D3. Same happens to those on Statins. Less cholesterol less Vitamin D so lower life expectancy.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”