Everyone Certainly is Appreciative

Pearl Harbor

Post by Pearl Harbor »

That's a quote from the Fox News reporter on scene at the Superdome in New Orleans, thanking two National Guard privates for confiscating, among other things, a fork, plastic disposable razors, allen and ratchet wrenches, pocket knives, scissors, combs, and nail clippers, from refugees seeking shelter from Hurricane Katrina.

People must unergo bag and body checks for "contraband." If you have prescriptions, you must have ID to match. And of course, no weapons are allowed.

When asked why a fingernail file was confiscated, one of the privates replied "Fingernail files have a point on them. We just think it will be safer."

Ah yes. The militia is now the National Guard, right?

Back to Geraldo Rivera, who is relieved.

"I'm glad for all the people seeking shelter, that's all they've got."

Make no mistake--this is the way things will go down in every future major emergency. And no doubt everyone will certainly be appreciative.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i am not quite sure if this was tongue-in-cheek...but i will say this, it was anticipated that tempers may fray in that environment, and anything that could be used as a weapon needed to be confiscated. it's like jail...people would be amazed at what is converted to weapons.
Pearl Harbor

Post by Pearl Harbor »

lady cop wrote: i am not quite sure if this was tongue-in-cheek...but i will say this, it was anticipated that tempers may fray in that environment, and anything that could be used as a weapon needed to be confiscated. it's like jail...people would be amazed at what is converted to weapons.

It is tongue in cheek. It highlights how crazy our society has become. Since these are not jail inmates but regular folk, I think it is crazy to take away forks, scissors, combs, etc. I bet if you and I were reading this during the 1970's or 1980's we would think it was a joke.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

my point was only that many diverse people were going to be placed in extremely close physical proximity in stressful circumstances...worrying about their homes and lives. friction and tempers had to be considered. heat and uncertainty.discomfort. the unknown. fear. a ripe atmosphere for conflict. the authorities were correct to remove potential weapons in my opinion.
Pearl Harbor

Post by Pearl Harbor »

lady cop wrote: my point was only that many diverse people were going to be placed in extremely close physical proximity in stressful circumstances...worrying about their homes and lives. friction and tempers had to be considered. heat and uncertainty.discomfort. the unknown. fear. a ripe atmosphere for conflict. the authorities were correct to remove potential weapons in my opinion.

I disagree with this. We don't live in Communist Russia. Shelters are not Gulags. Combs, forks, and sundry bathroom supplies are not weapons. Only in a police state would anyone suggest this. Since when does FEMA treat citizens as criminals?

Why didn't the the National Guard confiscate car keys? Key rings? Shoes? Belts? Laces? The metal hooks on bras? Why did they not cut off all straps on backpacks? All of these can be used as weapons. There is no logic behind it. Just reactionary foolishness.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Pearl Harbor wrote: I disagree with this. We don't live in Communist Russia. Shelters are not Gulags. Combs, forks, and sundry bathroom supplies are not weapons. Only in a police state would anyone suggest this. Since when does FEMA treat citizens as criminals?

Why didn't the the National Guard confiscate car keys? Key rings? Shoes? Belts? Laces? The metal hooks on bras? Why did they not cut off all straps on backpacks? All of these can be used as weapons. There is no logic behind it. Just reactionary foolishness.

This does give me pause. It says a lot about how the authorities feel they have to operate in our current social environment.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

it's my understanding tonight there is widespread looting, gunfire and carjackings. martial law has been declared. i started a thread about it because it may get worse due to the dire circumstances under which people are existing. .. no details yet, but i am hearing there are also problems in the local jail/prison. i still think the authorities were justified and thinking ahead, but that's only my opinion. and the violence is not in the superdome, but the streets.
ubetta

Post by ubetta »

I think it's only going to get worse before it gets better...unfortunately at times like this you see the best in people but also the worst. I read a report that more than 60K are now in the dome for safety reasons...whether that is true or exaggerated, I don't know. The jails, from what I understand, they are trying to figure out how to transport all the prisoners to another high security facility. They want everyone out of the city...the entire thing evacuated so they can repair and restore. They can't all stay there and be helped. It's going to be a loooong haul.

But. They'll make it. We always do. :)
ubetta

Post by ubetta »

Looks like LC has it correct:

Inmates at a prison in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans have rioted, attempted to escape and are now holding hostages, a prison commissioner told ABC News affiliate WBRZ in Baton Rouge, La.

Orleans Parish Prison Commissioner Oliver Thomas reported the incident to WBRZ.

A deputy at Orleans Parish Prison, his wife and their four children have been taken hostage by rioting prisoners after riding out Hurricane Katrina inside the jail building, according to WBRZ.

Officials are expected to hold a press conference regarding the riots at 9 p.m. ET.

A woman interviewed by WBRZ said her son, a deputy at the prison whose family is among the hostages, told her that many of the prisoners have fashioned homemade weapons. Her son had brought his family there hoping they would be safe during the storm.

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

....the tension is rising with the temperature. Refugees from the storm and people who had been plucked from rooftops of inundated homes kept arriving at the Louisiana Superdome, where the population had swelled to nearly 30,000, according to Ray Bias, a nurse with the American Ambulance Association.

The situation inside the building was described as tense, with no air conditioning in the building and toilets overflowing. Some people inside the dome expressed frustration at what they see as a lack of organization.

Xxena

Post by Xxena »

Scrat wrote: Game, set, match.

The superdome is the safest place in the city. No weapons.

Well this many days later it seems that was not true at all, maybe not

weapons in the sense of guns or knives but their male sexual anatomy

was used to terrorize and violate many of the female people there looking

for safety and shelter and in my book that is not safe and those are weapons..

BTW.. like that last comment in your signature line ;) seems there's lots of them

butt high in doodoo right now and rightfully so.

The difference between Congress as envisoned by the Founding Fathers and the Congress we have today is one of them inspires patriots to support it, and the other inspires patriots to buy extra ammo (Angel Shamaya):lips:
Xxena

Post by Xxena »

Why does the media keep refering to these people as refugees ? They are displaced, they have been made homeless in many cases but they are NOT refugees, they are still citizens of the USA and living here although not in the same place they were 10 days ago !! That makes me nuts every time I hear them say that and I guess it really bothers some of the "refugees" as well since I hear many of them on various stations over the past 2 days complain about being called that, some even considering it an outright insult. BUT, this is the media.. the same dorks that say things like " he was shot with a fully automatic pistol"..

uh huh... :-5

The difference between Congress as envisoned by the Founding Fathers and the Congress we have today is one of them inspires patriots to support it, and the other inspires patriots to buy extra ammo (Angel Shamaya):lips:
Xxena

Post by Xxena »

It seems that most people, including those for the 3 states affected by this tend to think of the term refugee as pertaining to war...

In a sense its a war of mother nature against us/them.. but I think the displaced citizens or the storm victims would be more to their liking after hearing so many of their comments and I'm not about to argue with them after what most have been through in the past 10 days. If they don't like to be called refugee's.. then so be it.

Xxena

Post by Xxena »

flopstock wrote: And if this were the 70's or 80's we would not be having rescuers fired upon by rescuees. It's not the 70's and 80's...and times have changed.

That's what we get for giving some of the political ideologs the freedom to allow the inmates to run the asylum ! Personally I liked the shot of the little house with the lake for his front yard in Biloxi that had used spray paint to write on this windows covered with the plywood ... " You LOOT !... I WILL SHOOT"... man that knows what it takes to stop the mad and the bad in their tracks and protect himself and his home when the police's hands are tied with all the other crap that's been thrown at them due to the ineptness of their bosses. I worked EMS long enough to know who gets crapped on and who runs for cover in times like this.. and I'm with the police, the fire and medics and anyone else out there in the trenches doing what needs to be done while the politico's sit in their ivory towers vomiting out orders to them and letting them take the heat.. and bullets on occassions while they play the political blame game to cover their sleazy butts.

Who said Gator snacks earlier ? maybe it was another board of email.. yup.. Politicans = gator snacks along with used car salesmen, lawyers and insurance salesmen.

Speaking of which.. just wait till we all get our new insurance statements for everything under the sun from cars to homes and business... the only one's taking it on the chin in all of this will be us the taxpayers and those that have insurance or are mandated by law as business owners ... I'm so looking forward to my 2006 premiums for our business I can hardly wait to get screwed and not even kissed once again by the insurance corporations of this company for having the audacity to own and operate a small business that hires American citizens vs. sending it all to China.

Ok.. I feel better now. I have a girlfriend that house is in Biloxi that is still standing she is told but has been cleaned out/cleared of anything of value in it and full of a lot of water. they Have NO idea what they are going to do but with

kids they have to decide soon ! I'm wiring her money tomorrow since they left

with 2 changes of clothes for all, the kids and the dog and got the hell out early

Sunday Morning while they still could.

Xxena

Post by Xxena »

flopstock wrote: And if this were the 70's or 80's we would not be having rescuers fired upon by rescuees. It's not the 70's and 80's...and times have changed.

That's what we get for giving some of the political ideologs the freedom to allow the inmates to run the asylum ! Personally I liked the shot of the little house with the lake for his front yard in Biloxi that had used spray paint to write on this windows covered with the plywood ... " You LOOT !... I WILL SHOOT"... man that knows what it takes to stop the mad and the bad in their tracks and protect himself and his home when the police's hands are tied with all the other crap that's been thrown at them due to the ineptness of their bosses. I worked EMS long enough to know who gets crapped on and who runs for cover in times like this.. and I'm with the police, the fire and medics and anyone else out there in the trenches doing what needs to be done while the politico's sit in their ivory towers vomiting out orders to them and letting them take the heat.. and bullets on occassions while they play the political blame game to cover their sleazy butts.

Who said Gator snacks earlier ? maybe it was another board of email.. yup.. Politicans = gator snacks along with used car salesmen, lawyers and insurance salesmen.

Speaking of which.. just wait till we all get our new insurance statements for everything under the sun from cars to homes and business... the only one's taking it on the chin in all of this will be us the taxpayers and those that have insurance or are mandated by law as business owners ... I'm so looking forward to my 2006 premiums for our business I can hardly wait to get screwed and not even kissed once again by the insurance corporations of this company for having the audacity to own and operate a small business that hires American citizens vs. sending it all to China.

Ok.. I feel better now. I have a girlfriend whose house is in Biloxi that is still standing she is told but has been cleaned out/cleared of anything of value in it and full of a lot of water. they Have NO idea what they are going to do but with

kids they have to decide soon ! I'm wiring her money tomorrow since they left

with 2 changes of clothes for all, the kids and the dog and got the hell out early

Sunday Morning while they still could.

Return to “Gun Control”