Stray kitten

Discussion and advice relating to your pet's nutritional needs.
actionfigurestepho

Stray kitten

Post by actionfigurestepho »

My boyfriend recently brought home a stray kitten. She can't be more than 4-6 weeks old. She's still in the habit of sucking on things, especially my nightshirt when I'm trying to sleep, which is annoying.

I'm afraid that maybe she was separated from her mom too early and that cat food won't give her the right nutrients. Is it OK to give kittens milk? Do we have to heat it up first? I know milk can give older cats worms and I don't want that to happen to this little one.
robinseggs

Stray kitten

Post by robinseggs »

Definately call a vet and get her checked out. She could already have any number of parasites/diseases that could doom her if not treated. At the very least if you don't take to vet, bathe her check her for fleas/ear mites....

You can go to a pet store and buy kitten replacement milk in cans. They even have the tiniest nipples/bottles too. Don't feed her cows milk. Could give her diarhea and dehydrate her. If she hasn't good teeth in, you could soften her kitten food with the replacement milk. My vet told me that the sucking behavior is a sign she was weaned too early.
Nature laughs Last
actionfigurestepho

Stray kitten

Replacement milk is a great idea. I'll try mixing her food into that. She was examined by a vet before the Boy brought her home (his grandparents found her and took care of her) but we forgot to mention the food! Thanks for the heads up on the cow's milk. I'd hate to give her tummy problems or worse.
valerie

Stray kitten

Post by valerie »

Just wanted to clear up something... milk doesn't cause worms in cats.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

actionfigurestepho

Stray kitten

valerie wrote: Just wanted to clear up something... milk doesn't cause worms in cats.

:-6
Our vet told us there was a connection between giving one of our adult kitties milk and his getting worms. He didn't really say it causes it, but I just kind of assumed that was the connection since I'm hopelessly ignorant about this sort of thing. Does it make worms somehow more attracted to the cat? Or does it lower their immune system or get rid of an antibody or something in their bowel?
mominiowa

Stray kitten

Post by mominiowa »

We had a kitten that did that sucking thing and it NEVER ended-- she was almost a year old when we lost her to the POOL :-1 but up till that time she still sucked on my daughters hair at night -and we have those tie blankets made out of felt...she would suck on the end of it--that was her Pacifier..LOL I don't know if she would have ever quit...but the vet just told us that it was because she was a young kitten and had not adjusted with out her mom...guess what.....It never stopped..LOL

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
valerie

Stray kitten

Post by valerie »

actionfigurestepho wrote: Our vet told us there was a connection between giving one of our adult kitties milk and his getting worms. He didn't really say it causes it, but I just kind of assumed that was the connection since I'm hopelessly ignorant about this sort of thing. Does it make worms somehow more attracted to the cat? Or does it lower their immune system or get rid of an antibody or something in their bowel?

Well now I hafta say you've got me stumped. Let me do a little googling

and see what I can come up with!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

valerie

Stray kitten

Post by valerie »

Boy, I tell ya, I can't find it, maybe if BR sees this she will be able to

enlighten us all!!

I do know that larva can sometimes be passed on through the mother's

milk to kittens. And adult kitties (adult just about any animal, really)

can get diarrhea from drinking milk. After weaning they lose the ability

to digest lactose. The usual for a vet when presented with an

animal with diarrhea is to suspect worms. Sometimes they will treat

for that even if it doesn't show up on a fecal test.

Anyway, your kitty should do great with the formula and the meat baby

food, and it wouldn't hurt any to try those things. Poor little waif!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

robinseggs

Stray kitten

Post by robinseggs »

We have had dogs that have done this behavior and never quit either. My sister's Boston Terrier sucks on the corners of their pillows!!! She is 6 yrs old. YUCKO!!
Nature laughs Last
BabyRider

Stray kitten

Post by BabyRider »

Cow's milk in small quantities is ok, but not as a main part of her diet. They sell formula in most pet stores and actually, at 6 weeks, she's not in terrible danger of having been separated too early. It's not ideal, but not life-threatening either. Soak a good kitten food in water and make it a mush for her to lap up, but definitely get the baby checked out very soon for other conditions. If she was a stray, her chances of having worms, fleas and feline leukemia are very high. Make sure she gets checked for ear mites, URI, and get her spayed when the time is right!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

actionfigurestepho

Stray kitten

Good news---not only is the kitten healthy but she's getting HUGE! She's also getting along so well with our older cat. They groom each other. The sucking has also started to subside a little. Perhaps having a surrogate mother cat is helping?
BabyRider

Stray kitten

Post by BabyRider »

actionfigurestepho wrote: Good news---not only is the kitten healthy but she's getting HUGE! She's also getting along so well with our older cat. They groom each other. The sucking has also started to subside a little. Perhaps having a surrogate mother cat is helping?
Hi Steph!

That sucking thing you see going on is a comfort behavior and some cats do it their whole lives. It's nothing to be concerned about, really, unless she's sucking on, say, electrical cords. :yh_rotfl

Is there some other reason it bothers you? Is it destructive in some way?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

The Red One

Stray kitten

Post by The Red One »

My mother in law was getting ready to leave work about 9 years ago and watched a guy lean out of a truck window and throw a black garbage bag into her driveway, she cautiously walked towards it and saw the bag move and heard meowing. When she opened the bag she found 7 kittens in it. She called work and told them she was going to be late, called a vet and me. The vet told her warm milk through something that was strong enough for clawing but also easy for the kittens to get milk out of, I don't remember what we used, but they got my fingers a few times. There was a no pet policy where I lived at and I let the landlord know I would have the kittens from around 9 am to 6 pm. Since I let him know about it he had no problems with the kittens and would even stop by to see how they were doing. In the end all but one died :( and boy is she honory! She won't hardly let me pet her. LOL!!!
Catlady

Stray kitten

Post by Catlady »

I have been taking care of strays and ferrels for almost 30 years.

The first thing you want to do is go to the pet store and buy the KMR formula because you want to get it the right nutrients as soon as possible they sell it in the kit which comes with the tiny bottle.make sure you try the canned already mixed first the kit should come with it and a can of the powdered but the powdered is a bit gritty and might be hard on the babies tummy.

Warm it just as you would a human babies bottle same temperature. The kit will come with some instructions on feeding. Next make an appointment for the Vets that is very important they will need to take a blood sample to test for Lukemia, feline aids, upper respiratory problems etc. and if all checks out ok then when you get the baby home do bathe it for fleas and here is what you do: Make sure you have 2 soft towels Q-Tips and Dawn dish detergent (Don't worry Dawn is what most vets will tell you to use and it won't hurt the kitten) and then fill up a dish pan or sink with lukewarm water not hot make sure it is the same temp as a babies bathwater. Put some Dawn soap into a little tray.Then immerse the kitten up to it's neck in the water and take some water in your hand and wet it's head take the kitten out and start at the head dip the Q-Tip into the Dawn and start applying at the head first and then put some in your hands and soap up the kitten on the rest of it's body with the Dawn. you always want to start at the head so the fleas will have to run down to the body and then they are easier to soap up. wait a good 3 minutes and then rinse the kitten off really good and try to keep it out of it's eyes and ears and nose but make sure it is rinsed really good and you will see the fleas will be dead. then take the kitten and put it in the first towel to get most of the initial water and rub with the towel not to hard but until it is not soaked then take the kitten and put it in the second towel and continue to rub the rubbing also helps keep the kitten stimulated so it's body heat will stay up. This is all a bit scary for the kitten to have gone through so just keep it wrapped up in the towel and if you feel the towel is to wet then get a dry towel you want the kitten to be completely dry before you let it down to play. and just hold the baby and talk softly to it and it should curl up in your arms and be very comfy. make sure you do this right before feeding time so that way you can give the baby a warm bottle afterwards and that will warm it up nicely. If it is that young you might want to take a couple of the big soda bottles and fill them with really warm water and place them on opposite sides of the inside of a box and then put a couple of towels over them and put the baby right in the middle so it will stay warm when it sleeps.Always be very careful about using heating pads because they can draw the babies natural body heat away from it and it will get sick. once it gets old enough to start eating solid foods buy some of the cans of AD Diet to mix a little in with the regular wet food this food is high in fat and lots of nutrients and good things to help the baby grow. as far as dry food buy the Wellness dry food it has lots of nutrients in it. The AD Diet should not be given daily or the baby will get Diarrhea but 2 or 3 time a week is good. Always contact your vet before you give the kitten anything so talk to your Vets about what i have said when you take the kitten in for it's appointment. Don't ever take advice about a kitten or any animal from someone without checking it out with a professional veteranarian first.

Good luck with your new little one.
Boogalette

Stray kitten

Post by Boogalette »

I hope your little one is doing well.

We have a stray staying with us as well. Initially, I thought it was a he, but the way it wants the attention of my male cats (who are fixed and have never had relations), I have to wonder. It also is very mew-y, you know, that low half meow, more than a purr.

Anyway, I just got a worm pill into it. It does have that problem. I gave my cats a pill of their own.

This cat is just a foster, it will not stay with us. I just did not want it to freeze to death this winter. It is starting to warm up to everyone, and it's been 2 months.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss
Nomad

Stray kitten

Post by Nomad »

That could be a song from The Brian Setzer Orchestra or Cherry Poppin Daddies.

Stray Kitten Bougalette
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Stray kitten

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1161353 wrote: That could be a song from The Brian Setzer Orchestra or Cherry Poppin Daddies.

Stray Kitten Bougalette

or Stray Cats.
Life is just to short for drama.
Mutley

Stray kitten

Post by Mutley »

actionfigurestepho;193714 wrote: Good news---not only is the kitten healthy but she's getting HUGE! She's also getting along so well with our older cat. They groom each other. The sucking has also started to subside a little. Perhaps having a surrogate mother cat is helping?

Glad to hear the little one is doing well. My cat half pint was saved by my bf from being drowned. She and her brother were only 5 weeks old. We lost her brother in an RTA but half pint is still going strong. Persevere with the little kitty and you will not regret it. xox

Nomad;1161353 wrote: That could be a song from The Brian Setzer Orchestra or Cherry Poppin Daddies.

Stray Kitten Bougalette

Sad, very sad..........

Odie;1161432 wrote: or Stray Cats.

Mad, completely and utterly insane..........

:rolleyes:
Odie

Stray kitten

Post by Odie »

Mutley;1161443 wrote: Glad to hear the little one is doing well. My cat half pint was saved by my bf from being drowned. She and her brother were only 5 weeks old. We lost her brother in an RTA but half pint is still going strong. Persevere with the little kitty and you will not regret it. xox

Sad, very sad..........

Mad, completely and utterly insane..........

:rolleyes:

geez, someone can't take a joke.

just so you know, we have four cats, 2 which are strays, we have had many cats for years........I also feed 2 strays outside.......and have found homes for other strays that people just push out their door.
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

Stray kitten

Post by Nomad »

actionfigurestepho;188739 wrote: My boyfriend recently brought home a stray kitten. She can't be more than 4-6 weeks old. She's still in the habit of sucking on things, especially my nightshirt when I'm trying to sleep, which is annoying.

I'm afraid that maybe she was separated from her mom too early and that cat food won't give her the right nutrients. Is it OK to give kittens milk? Do we have to heat it up first? I know milk can give older cats worms and I don't want that to happen to this little one.

Its perfectly ok to let the kitty suckle your own nipples.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Your Pet's Diet”