Home theatre

Home Theater, Car Audio, Audiophile Systems, Tube Systems, and more.
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

This is ridiculous. No one has posted in here for a long time.

Home theatre is becoming a staple. Regular tvs are getting phased out, signals are going all digital. The prices have come down on plasma and LCD sets. You can get a 52" for under a grand now.

The market has settled on Blu Ray. More movies are coming out all the time in high def. Prices are dropping on players.

Audio choices are as integral to viewing as ever.

Id like to see pics of peoples set ups.

What kind of system do you have ?

Anyone gone all the way with a 7.2 set up yet ?

Do you have a room dedicated to movie watching ?

Are you a serious audio buff ?

Its become an event to watch movies at home for many now.

Describe your experience.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Chezzie

Home theatre

Post by Chezzie »

No plasma here:-1

No Home entertainment theatre either:(

In the lounge

Sony Trinitron 100z TV

DVD player

Video Player

Sky+ machine

Wii

My bedroom

19" tv/dvd combi

sky multi room box

Kids

1 14" tv/video combi

1 dvd player

ps2
Betty Boop

Home theatre

Post by Betty Boop »

Turn the silver thing in the corner called a television on. No flat screen, wide screen all singing dancing model here.

Wait ten minutes for the television to warm up.

Spend five minutes pushing random buttons in vain hope that the television will flicker into life.

Sit for ten minutes whilst just listening and enjoy the 'radio' experience.

If you're patient and don't give into temptation to hit the television with a hammer first, you will be rewarded with a picture, eventually.

Next turn on DVD player, select your choice of film.

If, and thats a big IF, it's your lucky day, the DVD player will decide to work and you will get to see your film of choice.

You always need a back up plan in this house ;)
mikeinie

Home theatre

Post by mikeinie »

32 inch Flat Screed LCD

500 Gig media player (for movies, music and photos)

DVD player/recordable

That’s it
chonsigirl

Home theatre

Post by chonsigirl »

My movie experiences are a DVD in the computer with headphones on. The kids have their own setup, they can afford it. :wah:

I've given up my 1/2 a movie nights-I put my favorite L.A. radio station on the computer with my headphones on, and am crocheting baby layettes....................:-4
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

Betty Boop;1148953 wrote: Turn the silver thing in the corner called a television on. No flat screen, wide screen all singing dancing model here.

Wait ten minutes for the television to warm up.

Spend five minutes pushing random buttons in vain hope that the television will flicker into life.

Sit for ten minutes whilst just listening and enjoy the 'radio' experience.

If you're patient and don't give into temptation to hit the television with a hammer first, you will be rewarded with a picture, eventually.

Next turn on DVD player, select your choice of film.

If, and thats a big IF, it's your lucky day, the DVD player will decide to work and you will get to see your film of choice.

You always need a back up plan in this house ;)

Yea but your a foreigner. You guys still use those old crank phones on the wall where you have to call the operator to patch you through right ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Home theatre

Post by Odie »

Sony 46 flat screen LCD

Sony Blue-Ray Player

Sony surround Sound/amp

Rega 1 turntable

Cerwin Vega Speakers

life is good in our living room!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
Betty Boop

Home theatre

Post by Betty Boop »

Nomad;1148968 wrote: Yea but your a foreigner. You guys still use those old crank phones on the wall where you have to call the operator to patch you through right ?

I can't afford a telephone! I use Cornish carrier pigeons, you did get your birthday greeting didn't you? :D
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

Betty Boop;1148975 wrote: I can't afford a telephone! I use Cornish carrier pigeons, you did get your birthday greeting didn't you? :D

Yes.

Thank you.

I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

Odie;1148974 wrote: Sony 46 flat screen LCD

Sony Blue-Ray Player

Sony surround Sound/amp

Rega 1 turntable

Cerwin Vega Speakers

life is good in our living room!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

46" is just right.

Mine is 37" because we bought when prices were still really high. I could have a 60" for what I paid for the 37".

Luckily another tv is going on the fritz now so my options will be more plentiful next go around.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Home theatre

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1148985 wrote: 46" is just right.

Mine is 37" because we bought when prices were still really high. I could have a 60" for what I paid for the 37".

Luckily another tv is going on the fritz now so my options will be more plentiful next go around.

I would have rather had a 37, I find our is to big for the size of our room, but you know men, well, at least I know mine!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

The Sony Blue-Ray player.......on sale before Christmas 299.00....middle priced one....two years ago, this was over 1,000!

what an amazing difference, plus because Blue-Ray won in a competition with HD, HD will be phasing out soon....movies are 1.00 more to rent than HD, but well worth it....and to buy blue ray movies, much the same as HD, some are more expensive, some are not......picked up KILL BILL 1 & 2 for 9.99 each!

Options are plentiful now, like you said you can buy a much bigger one for the same....and with the recession on......prices have dropped even lower.

You should go into one of your Sony stores and check them out.;)
chonsigirl

Home theatre

Post by chonsigirl »

You should have seen the crowds at Circuit City going for the TV's when they started selling everything. I got out of there quick, it was a stampede!
Kathy Ellen

Home theatre

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Boy, wish I had room for a home theater:mad:

I have a wee, handy man's special home:wah: Don't even have room for a dish washer:confused:
chonsigirl

Home theatre

Post by chonsigirl »

Kathy Ellen;1149001 wrote: Don't even have room for a dish washer:confused:

Yeah, that's me in this household................:wah:
Odie

Home theatre

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1149001 wrote: Boy, wish I had room for a home theater:mad:

I have a wee, handy man's special home:wah: Don't even have room for a dish washer:confused:

ours isn't a home theatre, just the t.v. and components.

no dishwasher here either.....but it just us two, I would never be bothered to use it.
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

Odie;1148996 wrote: I would have rather had a 37, I find our is to big for the size of our room, but you know men, well, at least I know mine!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

The Sony Blue-Ray player.......on sale before Christmas 299.00....middle priced one....two years ago, this was over 1,000!

what an amazing difference, plus because Blue-Ray won in a competition with HD, HD will be phasing out soon....movies are 1.00 more to rent than HD, but well worth it....and to buy blue ray movies, much the same as HD, some are more expensive, some are not......picked up KILL BILL 1 & 2 for 9.99 each!

Options are plentiful now, like you said you can buy a much bigger one for the same....and with the recession on......prices have dropped even lower.

You should go into one of your Sony stores and check them out.;)

I have a Panasonic and Im happy with it. I know Sony makes a nice set but Samsung Aquos just stands out above the rest when I compare all the pictures.

My bottom floor is where Im set up for movies and music. Its 14' x 10' so I probably cant go more than 42".

I was watching a Blu Ray dvd in the store and its almost scary. Almost too real.

My receiver upconverts to 1080i but its nothing like true Blu.

You didnt mention a sub. Critical component if you've already come this far.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

Kathy Ellen;1149001 wrote: Boy, wish I had room for a home theater:mad:

Yea but look where you are !

Fair trade.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Home theatre

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1149018 wrote: I have a Panasonic and Im happy with it. I know Sony makes a nice set but Samsung Aquos just stands out above the rest when I compare all the pictures.

My bottom floor is where Im set up for movies and music. Its 14' x 10' so I probably cant go more than 42".

I was watching a Blu Ray dvd in the store and its almost scary. Almost too real.

My receiver upconverts to 1080i but its nothing like true Blu.

You didnt mention a sub. Critical component if yuve already come this far.

Panasonic is awesome!

Samsung, even better!

wish I could come, love looking around!:guitarist:guitarist

Cerwin-Vega sub.
mikeinie

Home theatre

Post by mikeinie »

Odie;1149016 wrote: ours isn't a home theatre, just the t.v. and components.

no dishwasher here either.....but it just us two, I would never be bothered to use it.

Likewise, you don’t need the full media centre anymore, the quality of TV, sound and equipment is great without the whole ‘movie theatre’ approach.

I love my media player, all movies are downloaded and stored, they are digital so the quality is excellent. All my music is on it so my TV is also my stereo. My photos are on it so when not watching tv, the tv can also be a large picture frame displaying photos. They also take no space at all.

I have attached a link to so an example of a media player.

MediaGate Media Player MG-45
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

This is the way Im set up. The rear speakers fire downward and outward.

The center channel (Infinity) is a mismatch from the front speakers (B&W) so thats the next change but everything is so expensive.

I wanted to bury the rear speaker wire in the wall but its packed with insulation. Ive used these wire channels that you can see follow the ceiling then down the corner then behind the baseboards to the receiever. Its a clean installation and it was my only alternative. The tv used to be mounted on the wall but again I couldnt hide all the cables in the wall so I took it down and went with a stand.

I AM AWESOME MAN
mikeinie

Home theatre

Post by mikeinie »

Nomad;1149054 wrote: This is the way Im set up. The rear speakers fire downward and outward.

The center channel (Infinity) is a mismatch from the front speakers (B&W) so thats the next change but everything is so expensive.

I wanted to bury the rear speaker wire in the wall but its packed with insulation. Ive used these wire channels that you can see follow the ceiling then down the corner then behind the baseboards to the receiever. Its a clean installation and it was my only alternative. The tv used to be mounted on the wall but again I couldnt hide all the cables in the wall so I took it down and went with a stand.

niiiiicceeee:guitarist
Odie

Home theatre

Post by Odie »

mikeinie;1149047 wrote: Likewise, you don’t need the full media centre anymore, the quality of TV, sound and equipment is great without the whole ‘movie theatre’ approach.

I love my media player, all movies are downloaded and stored, they are digital so the quality is excellent. All my music is on it so my TV is also my stereo. My photos are on it so when not watching tv, the tv can also be a large picture frame displaying photos. They also take no space at all.

I have attached a link to so an example of a media player.

MediaGate Media Player MG-45

awesome that is........:guitarist:guitarist
Odie

Home theatre

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1149054 wrote: This is the way Im set up. The rear speakers fire downward and outward.

oh wowser!

that looks wicked Nomad!

I just love those speakers on the ceiling.....never seen that kind before!

and the cabinets on each side look specular!

well done!
Richard Bell

Home theatre

Post by Richard Bell »

Nomad;1149018 wrote: Samsung Aquos just stands out above the rest when I compare all the pictures.

ermmm...the Aquos line is made by Sharp.

Samsung make a nice TV, but their customer service here in Canada is complete crap. I hope it's different in other places. I wouldn't buy Samsung for that reason. Getting them to honour their warranty is like pulling teeth.

I've been selling HDTVs for two years. I was always impressed with Sharp, but the new Sony "W" and "Z" lines are amazing. Better than the Sharp Aquos with moving images.
Kathy Ellen

Home theatre

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Woooohooooo Nomad,

Beautiful...we're coming to your home to watch movies.

I'll bring the blueberry muffins ok:-6
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

Richard Bell;1149215 wrote: ermmm...the Aquos line is made by Sharp.

Samsung make a nice TV, but their customer service here in Canada is complete crap. I hope it's different in other places. I wouldn't buy Samsung for that reason. Getting them to honour their warranty is like pulling teeth.

I've been selling HDTVs for two years. I was always impressed with Sharp, but the new Sony "W" and "Z" lines are amazing. Better than the Sharp Aquos with moving images.

Sharp Aquos. Thank you, my mistake.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Home theatre

Post by Bez »

Phillips 29" flat screen TV

Rotel combination Tuner / Amp / Cd / Dvd player

3 x B&W M1s as Center & Rear speakers

2 x B&W CM1s as Fronts

1 x B&W AS1 Sub woofer (turned off most of the time so as not to annoy the neighbours ! )

1 x Top up TV STB for recording TV programmes

1 x PS2 for use when the grandchildren come :yh_rotfl well that's my story anyway !!!

1 x Wii ....... (Wii fit & Wii sports) (use this daily) it's great fun.

My living room is more of a 'Home entertainment center'.

Your 'combo' looks great Nomad :) how do you hide all the cables ???
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

Bez;1149955 wrote: Phillips 29" flat screen TV

2 x B&W CM1s as Fronts

1 x B&W AS1 Sub woofer (turned off most of the time so as not to annoy the neighbours ! )

1 x Top up TV STB for recording TV programmes

1 x PS2 for use when the grandchildren come :yh_rotfl well that's my story anyway !!!

1 x Wii ....... (Wii fit & Wii sports) (use this daily) it's great fun.

My living room is more of a 'Home entertainment center'.

Your 'combo' looks great Nomad :) how do you hide all the cables ???

2 x B&W CM1s as Fronts

1 x B&W AS1 Sub woofer

Wow ! Really nice. I guess you got a pretty good education at B&W as well as a decent discount I hope.

I recently upgraded my amp and I think now my B&W's are really delivering what theyre capable of.
I AM AWESOME MAN
YZGI

Home theatre

Post by YZGI »

50" Plasma w/ Kenwood Prologic tuner 5.1 surround w/ 12" sub 5 advent speakers.
sunny104

Home theatre

Post by sunny104 »

why did you spell theater the foreign way?? Are you feeling ok?? :-3
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

YZGI;1150060 wrote: 50" Plasma w/ Kenwood Prologic tuner 5.1 surround w/ 12" sub 5 advent speakers.

You the man. Id love to see pics.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

sunny104;1150063 wrote: why did you spell theater the foreign way?? Are you feeling ok?? :-3

theatre

theater

I dunno...

Something to think about :-3
I AM AWESOME MAN
YZGI

Home theatre

Post by YZGI »

Nomad;1150064 wrote: You the man. Id love to see pics.
Actually it looks a bit like your setup, with the speakers mounted on the walls at cieling height. The center speaker sits on the stand below the TV. The thing I like most about my tuner is it has a center speaker control that I can turn up or down by itself to balance the surround effect.
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

YZGI;1150076 wrote: Actually it looks a bit like your setup, with the speakers mounted on the walls at cieling height. The center speaker sits on the stand below the TV. The thing I like most about my tuner is it has a center speaker control that I can turn up or down by itself to balance the surround effect.

I have that too but mine only goes up I think. Its meant for if the speaker is below the set.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Home theatre

Post by Bez »

Nomad;1150055 wrote: Rotel combination Tuner / Amp / Cd / Dvd player

2 x B&W CM1s as Fronts

1 x B&W AS1 Sub woofer

Wow ! Really nice. I guess you got a pretty good education at B&W as well as a decent discount I hope.

I recently upgraded my amp and I think now my B&W's are really delivering what theyre capable of.

It's all 'compact' stuff Nomad as my living room is really small. I was really lucky t0 have a lot of the equipment as a retiring present .....'Jammy' or what !

I'll take a picy when I get a minute but I'm contemplating having a move round at the moment.
Nomad

Home theatre

Post by Nomad »

Bez;1150841 wrote: It's all 'compact' stuff Nomad as my living room is really small. I was really lucky t0 have a lot of the equipment as a retiring present .....'Jammy' or what !

I'll take a picy when I get a minute but I'm contemplating having a move round at the moment.

Extremely Jammy !

Id love to take a tour of that factory.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Home theatre

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1150060 wrote: 50" Plasma w/ Kenwood Prologic tuner 5.1 surround w/ 12" sub 5 advent speakers.

your da man!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Kenwood is one of the best!
Bez

Home theatre

Post by Bez »

Nomad;1151173 wrote: Extremely Jammy !

Id love to take a tour of that factory.

HA HA...you'll have to go to China then !. They've moved most of the production to Zhuhai. 70 /80 people have been made redundant over the last year which is one of the reasons I retired before I planned to. ....really sad
sunny104

Home theatre

Post by sunny104 »

Nomad;1150064 wrote: You the man. Id love to see pics.

50 inches YZGI?? I want pics too! :D
dick123

Home theatre

Post by dick123 »

Hello

After deciding and choosing the place / space, you have to decide what items you want to have for your home theater items and where you want them to be placed in that room. There are components of Home Theater such as Television stand or wall mount, DVD player, DVD s, the art television, speakers and proper seating.

If you still want more, you can consider to complete your home theater with surround sound system, lighting and still you can find more till you feel comfortable. You have to make a sketch of the room once you have determined and decided what kind of Home theater items that you want to buy to fit in your room.
Replacement Kitchen Doors

Return to “Home and Car Audio”