Euro Disney Losses Soars As Sales Stagnate

Where our decade hasn't ended! Celebrate the Music, Culture, and Memories of our current times.
CVX

Post by CVX »

PARIS (AFP) - Troubled theme park operator Euro Disney posted Tuesday an operating loss of EUR 23.9 million (USD 30.9 million) in its financial year ending September 30 as sales grew only slightly to 1.048 billion.

Euro Disney's net loss widened to EUR 145.2 million from 58.3 million, aggravated by exceptional charges and by accrued royalty and management fees owed to its parent company Walt Disney Co.

Andre Lacroix, Euro Disney chairman, said the company generated "revenue and attendance growth in the highly important fourth quarter, thanks to the launch of The Legend of the Lion King Show."

Revenues at the company's Disneyland Resort east of Paris surged 15.9 percent to EUR 306.9 million in the fourth quarter to September from a pro form a 291.0 million a year earlier.

Total sales improved by 9.4 percent to EUR 311.9 million in the quarter from a pro forma 302.5 million a year earlier, taking account of real estate revenues, which fell to EUR 5.0 million from 11.5 million.

For the full-year, Euro Disney had positive cash flow of EUR 124.6 million because debt repayments to major creditors remain suspended and royalty and management fees will not be paid until the current financial year.

The company had a balance of EUR 125 million in its credit line at the end of September.

Increased spending by theme park visitors and hotel guests was mostly offset by lower hotel occupancy rates, as well as an anticipated decline in real estate development revenues, the company said.

Year-on-year attendance remained flat at 12.4 million visitors, though Lacroix said the figures mean Disneyland Resort Paris remains "the number one tourist destination in Europe."

Theme park spending per visitor rose five percent to EUR 42.7 from 40.7.

The hotel occupancy rate dropped to 80.5 percent from 85.1 percent, though hotel spending per room grew two percent to EUR 186.6 from 183.5.

Total revenues from the group's two theme parks increased five percent to EUR 531.3 million from 508.5 million but revenues from the hotels and Disney Village eased three percent to EUR 405.2 million from 416.7 million.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

CVX wrote: PARIS (AFP) - Troubled theme park operator Euro Disney posted Tuesday an operating loss of EUR 23.9 million (USD 30.9 million) in its financial year ending September 30 as sales grew only slightly to 1.048 billion.

Doesn't surprise me, really.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

What WERE the execs at Disney doing.

Hey guys let's build a new disney in Europe, Where shall we pu it, Spain (weather is lovely), Italy, Weather lovely, people friendly, Portugal, Lovely weather, nice people, huge EU grants. No lets put it in France, not just France but Northern France where the weather is crap and to make it even better the locale we choose has the rudest people on the planet the Parisiens!!!

Great idea guys.

I am afraid I would never visit disney anywhere but I have loads of friends who go to Florida rather than Paris
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i lost a whole lot due to Euro Disney...on the advice of a disney exec one year before they broke ground. just seeing it mentioned kills me. they had no clue... underestimated the weather, the European mindset, everything. my only consolation is the exec lost his shirt also. :(
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

I cannot emphasise how much I agree with these posts. I've been to Disneyland in California, Disneyworld in Florida, and Eurodisney in Paris.

Let's be honest and face it. Could the Parisiens and the Americans be any more different? The Parisiens are "cultured", arrogant, rude, and all about the subtlties in life. And the Americans are less cultured, overly friendly, and are the least subtle people in the world.

What are you looking for in a Disney holiday? Fun, friendliness, laughs, adventure. Americans are the perfect hosts for these holidays because they are so cheerful and loud and over-the top, and the weather is lovely, too.

Disneyland and Disneyworld are AMAZING... As an adult even, I loved EVERY second...

To the contrary, Eurodisney was a disaster. I hate to admit but I've been twice. The first time there was no one there except for some disgruntled staff. The second time it was a bit more crowded but it was snowing and there was nowhere to sit down as all the eating places were packed with snooty Parisiens. So we ended up getting drenched wet from the snow, hypothermia, and half the rides weren't working.

Disneyland in Paris?

Haha - it's an oxymoron.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I went to disney in florida last year. I think we may have had more fun at busch gardens, however..:thinking:

Welcome to the garden btw.:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

abbey

Post by abbey »

I guess it would be hard to emulate Disneyland USA.

From a British point of view the weather more than anything would be the main attraction for me. :-6
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

missi1982;1137949 wrote: I cannot emphasise how much I agree with these posts. I've been to Disneyland in California, Disneyworld in Florida, and Eurodisney in Paris.

Let's be honest and face it. Could the Parisiens and the Americans be any more different? The Parisiens are "cultured", arrogant, rude, and all about the subtlties in life. And the Americans are less cultured, overly friendly, and are the least subtle people in the world.

What are you looking for in a Disney holiday? Fun, friendliness, laughs, adventure. Americans are the perfect hosts for these holidays because they are so cheerful and loud and over-the top, and the weather is lovely, too.

Disneyland and Disneyworld are AMAZING... As an adult even, I loved EVERY second...

To the contrary, Eurodisney was a disaster. I hate to admit but I've been twice. The first time there was no one there except for some disgruntled staff. The second time it was a bit more crowded but it was snowing and there was nowhere to sit down as all the eating places were packed with snooty Parisiens. So we ended up getting drenched wet from the snow, hypothermia, and half the rides weren't working.

Disneyland in Paris?

Haha - it's an oxymoron.

Perhaps you could explain why this opinion is formed based on what appears to be two brief visits to a theme park?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

I'm British :)

Anyway let's leave this behind and celebrate the fun of Disney!!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

missi1982;1138167 wrote: I'm British :)

Anyway let's leave this behind and celebrate the fun of Disney!!

Welcome to the garden missi, have fun and join in some other threads :-6
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi missi !! Welcome to Forum Garden by the way. Thank you for your opinion and sorry you had a bad experience in Disneyland Paris. I'm afraid I have not been there, so I would have no idea about the place. Neither have I been to the American ones, but I have been to Goose Fair in Nottingham a time or two, many years ago, and I loved the waltzers but hated the big wheel - kept leaving me stomach at the top and got fed up with having to keep going back to collect it :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

My favourite in the UK is Brighton. It just feels so 'old school' and the rides are so fun. I guess the fact that it's by the ocean is lovely too.

The Goose Fair sounds unreal!! Is that open all the time?
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Welcome to FG Missi and good to have you here.We all have bad experiences of places and makes us enjoy the better places we go:DHope you enjoy your time here;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

missi1982;1138192 wrote: My favourite in the UK is Brighton. It just feels so 'old school' and the rides are so fun. I guess the fact that it's by the ocean is lovely too.

It is only on once a year, the first 4 or 5 days in October starting on a Wednesday, official opening on the Thursday. It is the largest travelling fair in Europe, and maybe the world (not sure about that though). Thousands of people come from miles around to enjoy the fun !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

missi1982;1138192 wrote: My favourite in the UK is Brighton. It just feels so 'old school' and the rides are so fun. I guess the fact that it's by the ocean is lovely too.

What rides are you refering to in Brighton? How many times have you been there?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Euro Disney weather you dismiss it or not has provided a less costly alternative for many hard up families who want to give their children some pleasure. It has also provided many childrens charities with a venue for disabled children. They don't care what the weather is like or weather the Parisian's are 'snooty'.

I'm sure the park is suffering from the credit crunch just as all venue's are. The one that will suffer in the near future will be the USA's Disney land. When hard up families can not afford the flights.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Bloodyhell Oscar, she only expressed an opinion! :rolleyes:
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

Oh Brighton is lovely! My favourite is the dodgem cars and I love (but also am freaked out) by the massive one that goes around over the sea at a million miles an hour..

Been there at least once per year for the last 8 years :)

Also love yummy Belgian cafe on the seaside - yum :)
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

missi1982;1138263 wrote: Oh Brighton is lovely! My favourite is the dodgem cars and I love (but also am freaked out) by the massive one that goes around over the sea at a million miles an hour..

My Brother lives in Brighton Missi.

He did live right on the front but just recently moved to Saltdean. He can often been seen fishing on the beach:D

He sent me this link to the pier and its rides, happy memories:-6

Brighton Pier - arcades, weddings and corporate functions on the sea
Oscar Namechange

missi1982;1138263 wrote: Oh Brighton is lovely! My favourite is the dodgem cars and I love (but also am freaked out) by the massive one that goes around over the sea at a million miles an hour..

Are you refering to the rides on The Palace Pier?

Attached files
spot

Post by spot »

Speaking solely for myself, I'd rather have salmonella poisoning than go anywhere with Disney in the title.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

spot;1138311 wrote: Speaking solely for myself, I'd rather have salmonella poisoning than go anywhere with Disney in the title.

That can be arranged, Rhyl do ya Spot?:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Chezzie;1138313 wrote: That can be arranged, Rhyl do ya Spot?:yh_rotfl

I like Rhyl :D:D
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

Oh Chezzie, I'm jealous of your brother! I live in South London so at least it's not too hard to get to Brighton from here, but to live on the seafront... wow. And to be able to fish when you want..! WOW! Did you visit him there much before he moved? Do you live close to there?
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

missi1982;1138321 wrote: Oh Chezzie, I'm jealous of your brother! I live in South London so at least it's not too hard to get to Brighton from here, but to live on the seafront... wow. And to be able to fish when you want..! WOW! Did you visit him there much before he moved? Do you live close to there?

He is lucky, he loves his new place but misses being right on the beach but the flats do take a battering and the one he left was in pretty bad shape.

No I dont get to visit much Missi, im in North Wales and when my brother and his wife get holidays they like to visit us.

Last time I saw him was last April when I was in London for a long weekend.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1138258 wrote: Euro Disney weather you dismiss it or not has provided a less costly alternative for many hard up families who want to give their children some pleasure. It has also provided many childrens charities with a venue for disabled children. They don't care what the weather is like or weather the Parisian's are 'snooty'.

I'm sure the park is suffering from the credit crunch just as all venue's are. The one that will suffer in the near future will be the USA's Disney land. When hard up families can not afford the flights.

The American ones won't suffer to the extent that EuroDisney has because there are enough Americans who are more than happy to go there - they are not reliant on European tourists for their survival.

I've not tried the one in Florida but the one in LA is amazing (although I preferred Knots Berry Farm) and continually packed in a way EuroDisney has never managed.

Like the Chunnel, EuroDisney were bankrupt before they opened and they've never recovered.
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

Oh North Wales is lovely too. I spent a couple of weeks camping in Snowdonia. I don't suppose you're anywhere around there? If you are, then I hate to admit but that definitely competes against Brighton! And there are the cool beaches there too!

So how long have people been using this forum? What is the aim of the forum? Is there any main aim for it?
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscar

Euro Disney weather you dismiss it or not has provided a less costly alternative for many hard up families who want to give their children some pleasure.

Hmm.. we must have different perceptions of "hard up". The current cost of an adult's entry into Eurodisney is 50 Euro. This, based on the current exchange rate, isn't far off 50 quid. Given that the average family is still nuclear, that denotes 2 parents are present. Add, say, 2 children, and you're looking at 150 Euro for a day. Not a cheap day for an average Joe, let alone someone who is "hard up".

Brighton Pier, to the contrary, charges just over £20 for a whole day's worth of rides! Now that's better value :)
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

missi1982;1138329 wrote: Oh North Wales is lovely too. I spent a couple of weeks camping in Snowdonia. I don't suppose you're anywhere around there? If you are, then I hate to admit but that definitely competes against Brighton! And there are the cool beaches there too!

So how long have people been using this forum? What is the aim of the forum? Is there any main aim for it?

About an hour or so away from Snowdonia, im ashamed to say I have never been all the way up to the top:o

North Wales is stunning when it isnt raining:yh_rotfl

We have some beautiful beaches, mid wales, Pembrokshire...gorgeous.

The forum has been going since 2004. The aim of it is to converse with all nationalities and make new friends and most importantly to have fun...

Id suggest you made an intro thread to let people know your here and jump right in and join in with the topics were discussing, if you hit todays post up on the top, it will show the forums most recent posts..:-6

Welcome Missi:-6
Oscar Namechange

missi1982;1138336 wrote: Quote:

Euro Disney weather you dismiss it or not has provided a less costly alternative for many hard up families who want to give their children some pleasure.

Hmm.. we must have different perceptions of "hard up". The current cost of an adult's entry into Eurodisney is 50 Euro. This, based on the current exchange rate, isn't far off 50 quid. Given that the average family is still nuclear, that denotes 2 parents are present. Add, say, 2 children, and you're looking at 150 Euro for a day. Not a cheap day for an average Joe, let alone someone who is "hard up".

Brighton Pier, to the contrary, charges just over £20 for a whole day's worth of rides! Now that's better value :)

Brighton Palace Pier rides is a little like comparing Inter Milan with Southend Football Club.

I suggest you try Blackpool, it puts Brighton's effort into the shade.

Infusion at Pleasure Beach Theme Park / Amusement Park Blackpool, UK

Now, there's a roller coaster that really takes you over the sea.
Oscar Namechange

missi1982;1138336 wrote: Quote:

Next time your in Brighton, try Preston street for cafes and resturants. If you want a kebab, then St Jame's street. Tell them i sent you and ask for discount :D
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

Thank you for your suggestions, Chezzie - and I insist you go to the top of Mt Snowdon, it's glorious!!

And thank you dear Oscar for your suggestions of where to go for a funpark in the UK.

Did you know that Oscar is my favourite name if I had a boy? My papa was Oskar (but K not C), and I decided that I wanted to call my first son Oskar, if I have one. But then the whole world joined in and now Oscar is one of the most popular baby names!!
Oscar Namechange

missi1982;1138366 wrote: Thank you for your suggestions, Chezzie - and I insist you go to the top of Mt Snowdon, it's glorious!!

And thank you dear Oscar for your suggestions of where to go for a funpark in the UK.

Did you know that Oscar is my favourite name if I had a boy? My papa was Oskar (but K not C), and I decided that I wanted to call my first son Oskar, if I have one. But then the whole world joined in and now Oscar is one of the most popular baby names!!

Priceless :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Yeah, it's a great boy's name..... very regal.

Are you a police officer? what with the papa and oscar in your volcabluary?
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

Hmmm... I'm a bit confused. How do the words papa and Oskar relate to being a police officer?!
Oscar Namechange

missi1982;1138396 wrote: Hmmm... I'm a bit confused. How do the words papa and Oskar relate to being a police officer?!

Papa and Oscar are part of the 'phonetic' alphabet used by police.
Oscar Namechange

missi1982;1138396 wrote: Hmmm... I'm a bit confused. How do the words papa and Oskar relate to being a police officer?!

Papa and Oscar are part of the 'phonetic' alphabet used by police.

My name would be:

Oscar

Sierra

Charlie

Alpha

Romeo
missi1982

Post by missi1982 »

ahh... i see. And how did YOU know that? Are you involved with the police force? And if so - which side? THe right or the wrong side? ;)

no i am far from a police lady!
Oscar Namechange

missi1982;1138426 wrote: ahh... i see. And how did YOU know that? Are you involved with the police force? And if so - which side? THe right or the wrong side? ;)

no i am far from a police lady!

Well, put it this way.......... I'd rather eat horse vomit with knitting needles stuck in my eyes stark naked than be anywhere remotely near the British Police force. :sneaky:
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

missi1982;1138321 wrote: Oh Chezzie, I'm jealous of your brother! I live in South London so at least it's not too hard to get to Brighton from here, but to live on the seafront... wow. And to be able to fish when you want..! WOW! Did you visit him there much before he moved? Do you live close to there?

I'm a Londoner , so what part are you from? You say the South. How South? Croyden? :)
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

AussiePam;1138838 wrote: My friends and family have visited Disneyland, Paris many times and love it. It always seems crowded??? My daughter's best friend and husband even stayed there in one of the hotels, for a romantic St Valentine's Day last weekend. And they are with it, Parisians.

How nice to hear something good said about it. Personally, it's lost on me as i'd never get on the rides. Well, maybe the childrens one's. :)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Euro Disney.....no wonder they hate us. Did they put it next to the Louvre ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Nomad;1139779 wrote: Euro Disney.....no wonder they hate us. Did they put it next to the Louvre ?
They were originally going to put it next to the Coliseum but so many cats live in the Coliseum they were afraid the big eared rodent wouldn't survive.:D
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I'm sorry guys, I love America, you guys are great and all.

But being a somewhat culturally snooty, morally ambiguous European I do have to say I wouldn't mind if Eurodisney Paris was turned into a labour camp for our bankers, financiers, and corporate evildoers.

There (as they walk around in Mickey Mouse suits and Goofy hats selling hot dogs in the country that produced Voltaire, Bizet, Balzac, Monet, Descartes, and Stendhal and the concept of haute cuisine) , they can contemplate their belief that you can put a dollar value on every bloody thing on this planet, and reduce human beings to being valued as nothing more than little units of economic consumption sponsored by drinks conglomerates and sports wear companies, while their children are taught to worship Gucci, Versace, and BMW.

Though it has to be said a lot of people do go there, Eurodisney is such an oxymoron. We don't need plastic castles and faux culture, and made up history, as we already have the real thing. About 2,500 years of it, sorry, thats just the way it is.

Still, it seems to keep our track suit-wearing riff raff and our SUV driving, Yank wannabe, suburban clones happy (most of them coming from good old Britain of course, they being the 51st State of the Union and all). :)
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
spot

Post by spot »

Galbally;1141572 wrote: Still, it seems to keep our track suit-wearing riff raff and our SUV driving, Yank wannabe, suburban clones happy (most of them coming from good old Britain of course, they being the 51st State of the Union and all). :)
How dare you, that's shockingly untrue. Most foreign visitors are Dutch and half the rest are German. The Brits prefer Legoland.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Alton Towers is brilliant :)
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1141820 wrote: Alton Towers is brilliant :)

I went somewhere once that had these thrill-rides. I'm trying to recall where.

Barmouth. They had a helter skelter too, it was far higher than I was prepared to climb.

Wales' answer to Eurodisney, that, ever since Barry Island closed.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

spot;1141658 wrote: How dare you, that's shockingly untrue. Most foreign visitors are Dutch and half the rest are German. The Brits prefer Legoland.

Your right, I take it back, anyway, damn Germans, as for the Brits, most of them can't get out of the Airport Booozer in Charles De Gaulle anyway. :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

JAB;1141889 wrote: No apology needed, Gal. I thought it an odd idea when I first heard they were building EuroDisney.

I've been to both FL and CA numerous times and have never wanted to visit either Disney park. If I had kids, maybe I'd feel different. I did however visit Epcot Center in FL but we were there for less then a day and that was fine with me.

Oh well, I would like to go to the Smithsonian some day when I go over to the Western side of the Atlantic. Now that would be something. :)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.

Return to “Our Current Decade”