Amber Alert--Texas

The AMBER Alert System began in 1996 when Dallas-Fort Worth broadcasters teamed with local police to develop an early warning system to help find abducted children. AMBER stands for America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnaped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered. Other states and communities soon set up their own AMBER plans as the idea was adopted across the nation.
BTS

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by BTS »

thats all kool spot..........

Butttt----ttt

Where is the high cost of this that you are supposing?

All the bells and whistles are in place already.

Furthermore there are requirements to issue a alert. Not all qualify just by a phone call.

Most are leased when the abductors see their face plasred all over the place. Why are you being so pig-headed :yh_pig on this?

It is a good thing that does not cost an arm and a legg......

Also tell these mothers that you want the thing that saved their children to be removed from her options: (who knows what would have happened if there was not quick responses)

August 23, 2008

Riverside, CA

The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department requested an AMBER Alert due to the abduction of a 5-year-old girl by her biological father. The father shot the victim’s mother, abducted his child, and fled the scene. Due to the extreme violent behavior, the California Highway Patrol activated an AMBER Alert in the Los Angeles area. Within hours, the suspect heard of the EAS message and observed the changeable message signs on the roadway. He drove to a family member’s residence in Kern County and dropped the victim off with a relative. The Kern County Sheriff’s Department responded to the residence and safely recovered the victim. A short time later, a Kern County Sheriff’s Deputy observed the suspect at a local fast food restaurant and the suspect was taken into custody.

June 27, 2008

Birmingham, AL

A 1-year-old boy went missing along with his 16-year-old babysitter, who took the child’s mother’s vehicle without permission. An AMBER Alertwas issued. The child was with a family of the suspect who heard the AMBER Alerton a local radio. The family convinced the suspect to leave the child with them for a short period. When the suspect left, they called the Bessemer Police Department who responded to the scene. The child was safely rescued.

June 23, 2008

Mountain Home, AR

An AMBER Alert was for a 16-month old boy who was discovered missing from his daycare when his mother arrived to pick him up. A female had called the daycare earlier in the day identifying herself as the mother, stating she had a family emergency and would be sending her sister to pick the child up. After hearing the AMBER Alertan individual called the Mountain Home Police Department and said that he believed he had information that would lead to the recovery of the boy. He gave law enforcement a description of the suspect and where he might be located. Officers went to the location where the child was safely rescued and the suspect was arrested.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
spot

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by spot »

BTS;1141062 wrote: Most are leased when the abductors see their face plasred all over the place.Have you any good reason to think that's true?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Kathy Ellen

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by Kathy Ellen »

spot;1140626 wrote: Firstly, there will enver be an effective system until people protest in large enough numbers about this sensationalist media-friendly Amber Alert scheme.

Secondly, name me a single child the Amber Alert system has saved the life of, I'd quite like to see what basis of fact underlies the claim.

Spot,

I have no need or desire to show you any link, to prove anything to you or to explain my reasoning.

I'm with Peg on this one and honestly don't give a rat's ass that you don't like our Amber Alert.
BTS

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by BTS »

Re: Amber Alert--Texas

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTS

Most are leased when the abductors see their face plasred all over the place.

spot;1141068 wrote: Have you any good reason to think that's true?
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

should be:

Most are released when the abductors see their face plastered all over the place.

Is that what you were looking for?

Or do you doubt that most are released?

spot

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by spot »

BTS;1141115 wrote: Re: Amber Alert--Texas

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTS

Most are leased when the abductors see their face plasred all over the place.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

should be:

Most are released when the abductors see their face plastered all over the place.

Is that what you were looking for?

Or do you doubt that most are released?

I doubt that most are released as a consequence of the abductor becoming aware there's an Amber Alert on the child.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1141113 wrote: Spot,

I have no need or desire to show you any link, to prove anything to you or to explain my reasoning.

I'm with Peg on this one and honestly don't give a rat's ass that you don't like our Amber Alert.

I love it also, you just never know who is out there and spot a child.;)
Life is just to short for drama.
BTS

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by BTS »

spot;1141122 wrote: I doubt that most are released as a consequence of the abductor becoming aware there's an Amber Alert on the child.

Seeing as there has ONLY been 400+ saves with the amber alert it would seem hard to find any that back up my claim. I might be exagerating when I said most

OK........

I'll re-phrase it

A LOTS are released once the abductor hears or sees their face or the story:

June 12, 2008

Pickerington, OH

An AMBER Alertwas issued for a 5-year-old boy who was abducted by his non-custodial father, after a domestic altercation with the child’s mother. The suspect saw the AMBER Alerton the highway signs, called police to negotiate a surrender, which allowed the police to locate the suspect through investigative means. The suspect was arrested and the child was safely rescued.

May 23, 2008

Hallandale Beach, FL

A mother and her 3 children aged 11 years, 2 years, and 5 months were in her vehicle and was stopped at a traffic light. The father had followed them and he and the children’s mother had a verbal argument. The mother got out of the car and the father took off with the children. An AMBER Alert was issued. The father heard the AMBER Alert and turned himself in to police. The children were safely rescued.

I don't have the tyme to diddle with you I quit........

Bi-Buy-By
spot

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by spot »

BTS, do you not see that all but one of your examples have been non-custodial parents? Is that seriously what people had in mind when they funded this system? Enforcing domestic court orders?
Peg

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by Peg »

Just because they are a parent, it doesn't mean they won't harm the child. :-5
Peg

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by Peg »

What are the criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts?

Each state AMBER Alert plan has its own criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts. The PROTECT Act, passed in 2003, which established the role of AMBER Alert Coordinator within the Department of Justice (DOJ), calls for DOJ to issue minimum standards or guidelines for AMBER Alerts that states can adopt voluntarily. DOJ's guidance on criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts is:

Law enforcement must confirm that an abduction has taken place

The child is at risk of serious injury or death

There is sufficient descriptive information of child, captor, or captor's vehicle to issue an alert

The child must be 17 years old or younger

It is recommended that immediate entry of AMBER Alert data be entered in FBI's National Crime Information Center. Text information describing the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the child should be entered, and the case flagged as Child Abduction.

Most state's guidelines adhere closely to DOJ's recommended guidelines.

This tells me that even though they are with a parent, there is reason to believe they are in danger.
BTS

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by BTS »

spot;1141170 wrote: BTS, do you not see that all but one of your examples have been non-custodial parents? Is that seriously what people had in mind when they funded this system? Enforcing domestic court orders?

spot did you not see my last sentence?

"I don't have the tyme to diddle with you I quit........

Bi-Buy-By"
flopstock

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by flopstock »

The TV broadcasts of Amber Alerts in our area are loud, intrusive and the grating buzzer thing that comes across first to get your attention can cause you to just about wet yourself if you fell asleep with the TV on...:p

I don't think I've ever considered complaining about it... my daughter is safe in her bed at the time, after-all.:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by spot »

Peg;1141173 wrote: Just because they are a parent, it doesn't mean they won't harm the child. :-5

Just because some ambitious fool of a law enforcement officer issued an Amber Alert, it doesn't mean the child's at risk of serious injury or death.
Peg

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by Peg »

Yes, you, the person who isn't there, would know better than the law enforcement officer who is there, because after all, you are the great and powerful all knowing Spot. :thinking:
spot

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by spot »

Peg;1141233 wrote: Yes, you, the person who isn't there, would know better than the law enforcement officer who is there, because after all, you are the great and powerful all knowing Spot. :thinking:

Peg, I go entirely on the eventual outcome of the Amber Alert. I keep trying to discuss the outcome of past alerts with you and you keep burying your head in the sand.
Kathy Ellen

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by Kathy Ellen »

spot;1141237 wrote: Peg, I go entirely on the eventual outcome of the Amber Alert. I keep trying to discuss the outcome of past alerts with you and you keep burying your head in the sand.

Spot, Would you please leave Peg alone and start your own thread about our Amber Alert. It certainly doesn't seem like she's interested in your badgering.
spot

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1141249 wrote: Spot, Would you please leave Peg alone and start your own thread about our Amber Alert. It certainly doesn't seem like she's interested in your badgering.

If you look carefully at the start, I did start my own thread and it was merged in with Peg's. Quite probably by Peg.
Kathy Ellen

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by Kathy Ellen »

spot;1141320 wrote: If you look carefully at the start, I did start my own thread and it was merged in with Peg's. Quite probably by Peg.

I will ask Peg this Spot. If I'm wrong, I will apologize and mind my own beeswax.

But Spot, lately you are coming across too aggressively with your wanting all to prove their opinions to you. This is a forum not a debating club.

Often people just want to pop in and have a laugh, chat or serious discussion and then you turn it into a debate. Why does everything have to be a debate with you? I just don't understand. I really wish you'd lighten up a bit.
mrsK

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by mrsK »

spot;1141229 wrote: Just because some ambitious fool of a law enforcement officer issued an Amber Alert, it doesn't mean the child's at risk of serious injury or death.

Better to be safe than sorry though.

If it was my child I would want everyone looking for them.

I think this system is a good one.

As I have said before if it saves one child it is a success ,in my eyes.

I don't think Peg needs to justify anything.

Peg is concerned about the safety of children & I for one commend her for posting these alerts .

I for one hope she keeps posting them:-6:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
kazalala

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by kazalala »

mrsK;1141356 wrote: Better to be safe than sorry though.

If it was my child I would want everyone looking for them.

I think this system is a good one.

As I have said before if it saves one child it is a success ,in my eyes.

I don't think Peg needs to justify anything.

Peg is concerned about the safety of children & I for one commend her for posting these alerts .

I for one hope she keeps posting them:-6:-6

I agree, of course Peg does not need to justify anything and shouldnt have to feel so. She is doing what she feels is right and with a good heart:-4

some peoples own opinions are more important to them than someone elses feelings,, thats just the way it is:rolleyes: and im not just talking about this thread in particular, or even one person in paticular as i have seen it from different people in different threads. I have had quite strong feelings on certain things in the garden in the time i have been here, but have decided that it would serve no purpose to voice them other than hurt a persons feelings. It does not matter to me that person or anyone else that sees it should know i disagree,, or think they are being foolish, doing the wrong thing etc etc.. It does'nt make me feel good to have my say and be damned what upset it causes.

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Kathy Ellen

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by Kathy Ellen »

spot;1141320 wrote: If you look carefully at the start, I did start my own thread and it was merged in with Peg's. Quite probably by Peg.

I have asked Peg if she merged your threads, and she said "no." So, please let her post the Amber Alerts in peace.
spot

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1141694 wrote: I have asked Peg if she merged your threads, and she said "no." So, please let her post the Amber Alerts in peace.

You're quite right, it wasn't Peg who merged them. I've had a PM from the mod who did, letting me know. The trigger for merging my thread with Peg's was me noticing there were two threads for the same alert.

I'll restrict myself from now on in the Amber Alert area to commenting on the eventual outcome of an Alert rather than on its progress. That way Peg can have her media-frenzy hunt-the-missing-child phase and I can point out afterwards why it should never have been raised in the first place.
Bryn Mawr

Amber Alert--Texas

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1141698 wrote: You're quite right, it wasn't Peg who merged them. I've had a PM from the mod who did, letting me know. The trigger for merging my thread with Peg's was me noticing there were two threads for the same alert.

I'll restrict myself from now on in the Amber Alert area to commenting on the eventual outcome of an Alert rather than on its progress. That way Peg can have her media-frenzy hunt-the-missing-child phase and I can point out afterwards why it should never have been raised in the first place.

Having now made your point, why make it again with every new post?

It is quite obvious that there will never be a meeting of minds over this and hammering away at a brick wall is un-necessary and end up hurting you head.

Return to “Amber Alert Forum”