Dream guy or Tyrant

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Betty Boop

Dream guy or Tyrant

Post by Betty Boop »

For those that have read Jane Eyre, tell me, what do you really think about Mr Rochester?

Has anyone read it as a child, then returned to it later in life only to discover they have a completely different take on the guy....
along-for-the-ride

Dream guy or Tyrant

Post by along-for-the-ride »

If I remember correctly, he only turns "warm and tender" after he loses his eyesight and has to depend on Jane.

Young Orson Welles in the movie was a hunk. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Chezzie

Dream guy or Tyrant

Post by Chezzie »

From memory I think he did prove to be a true romantic hero who deserved Jane. In the long run both characters showed their desired love for each other, even though they suffered a great deal. I have never read it again in adulthood.
chonsigirl

Dream guy or Tyrant

Post by chonsigirl »

I always thought of him as a tyrant, even as a child. That Jane would love him perplexed me. He was not my image of a dream guy.
venus

Dream guy or Tyrant

Post by venus »

with Chonsi on this one. remember him being an up himslef type, who low and behold found a nicer ot so git like side when needs must !!

:-2
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
Betty Boop

Dream guy or Tyrant

Post by Betty Boop »

lol thanks guys.....

The youngsters at uni today pretty much decided he was a romantic figure, and that's certainly the figure I remember from the numerous adaptations I watched as a child.

If you ever get the chance Chezzie, read it again, I'm pretty sure your opinion will have changed.

I finished it late last night and was pondering over it all, then someone helped me look at Rochester in a completely different light, dashed all my Cinderella type dreams :wah:
Chezzie

Dream guy or Tyrant

Post by Chezzie »

Betty Boop;1140315 wrote: lol thanks guys.....

The youngsters at uni today pretty much decided he was a romantic figure, and that's certainly the figure I remember from the numerous adaptations I watched as a child.

If you ever get the chance Chezzie, read it again, I'm pretty sure your opinion will have changed.

I finished it late last night and was pondering over it all, then someone helped me look at Rochester in a completely different light, dashed all my Cinderella type dreams :wah:

Your On. I shall rent it out from the Library next week:D

Reading Julie Walters Autobiography "That's another story" right now.:-6

Return to “General Chit Chat”