Octuplet's mother begs for donations

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I heard a British news item on the radio yesterday that the mother of the octuplets has appealed for cash donations.

The mother who has been described as 'a sandwich short of a picnic' seems to now be concerned as to how she will pay to raise the babies.

It's Ok..... just come to Britain and that nice Gordon Brown will give you a free ten bedroomed house, pay all your taxes and utility bills along with a very generous fortnightly benifit check for you to buy booze and ciggs should you want them. On top of that, you will get a free National health Service, free community nurses to help you feed and care for them, free childcare should you want to go back to work when they are 5 years old, a £2,000 starter cheque for each baby to open a savings account and we'll pay for special needs nurses to help you with your other children, two who have special needs.

Incredible pictures of octuplets mum's pregnant bump days before birth - mirror.co.uk
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

Mum and babies are doing fine, but controversy rages about how Nadya - who already had six children, three of them partially disabled - will cope with caring for her family. She has no job and exists on student loans and benefits.

This week, she launched a website begging for cash - prompting Tonight host Jay Leno to tell viewers: "Send her birth control pills."

Meanwhile, the California hospital where the babies are being cared for wants state help with the £2million bill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good god, what was she thinking?
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1134308 wrote: Mum and babies are doing fine, but controversy rages about how Nadya - who already had six children, three of them partially disabled - will cope with caring for her family. She has no job and exists on student loans and benefits.

This week, she launched a website begging for cash - prompting Tonight host Jay Leno to tell viewers: "Send her birth control pills."

Meanwhile, the California hospital where the babies are being cared for wants state help with the £2million bill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good god, what was she thinking?

Yes, we also had a report that the hospital wanted 2 million. Why don't they ask the idiot who gave her the IVF treatment?

Still, all the reports have said she is a little troubled. Something to do with her feeling unloved as a child i think i read some-where.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1134314 wrote: Yes, we also had a report that the hospital wanted 2 million. Why don't they ask the idiot who gave her the IVF treatment?

Still, all the reports have said she is a little troubled. Something to do with her feeling unloved as a child i think i read some-where.

oh great, another woe is me story!:mad:
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1134316 wrote: oh great, another woe is me story!:mad: It seems to look that way. It'll be interesting to see what the Doctor has to say for himself.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Is she daft or something? And those poor children. What kind of life will they ever have? I think she needs to be evaluated before she tries that again. Not fair for the new babies or the ones she already has.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Sunshine;1134324 wrote: Is she daft or something? And those poor children. What kind of life will they ever have? I think she needs to be evaluated before she tries that again. Not fair for the new babies or the ones she already has.

no its not fair, 6 kids, 3 which are partially disabled, hello?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Sunshine;1134324 wrote: Is she daft or something? And those poor children. What kind of life will they ever have? I think she needs to be evaluated before she tries that again. Not fair for the new babies or the ones she already has.

Did you see her interview the other night? I have 4 kids and I'm thinking to myself "you are crazy chick"! Her reply to the person who was giving the questions was "I will use up all my eggs that are frozen because they are life". Granted, yes they are life but can't you give them to someone else? I'm just stunned that she is that selfish...
Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1134336 wrote: Did you see her interview the other night? I have 4 kids and I'm thinking to myself "you are crazy chick"! Her reply to the person who was giving the questions was "I will use up all my eggs that are frozen because they are life". Granted, yes they are life but can't you give them to someone else? I'm just stunned that she is that selfish...

oh god, give me a break!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1134393 wrote: oh god, give me a break!

You agree?
Odie

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1134402 wrote: You agree?

again, honestly, what was she thinking?

she is now living in a hotel begging for money!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1134405 wrote: again, honestly, what was she thinking?

she is now living in a hotel begging for money!

We are hearing all sorts of things here that she got plastic surgery to look like Angelina Joley to that she didn't want to let her "eggs' go to waste. IMO, she is not altogether. In the end, I feel sorry for her as she is just "what were you thinking"? attiude. And wtf was her docter thinking? she's 33 yrs old for crying out loud. I had Quin at 38 (granted one kid), but still I'm glad I had him as he is a joy to have even though he is silly & he's mummy's baby:-4
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

qsducks;1134422 wrote: she didn't want to let her "eggs' go to waste.

Theres a very special and sacred bond between a woman and her eggs.

I think we can all appreciate that cant we ?

Why bring the eggs into it ? :(
I AM AWESOME MAN
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Nomad;1134427 wrote: Theres a very special and sacred bond between a woman and her eggs.

Hmmm. I think not so much.

As a woman, I can tell you that there really isn't much of a bond between me and my eggs! And I can't think of a single woman I have ever met who felt much of a bond with her eggs, either. Now. Fertilize one of those puppies and you are talking about an entirely different feeling.;)

With everything that is coming out about this woman - I seriously doubt that she will either be in a position to use another one of her eggs or be able to find a doctor willing to perform the procedure.
Sandi

spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1134049 wrote: It's Ok..... just come to Britain and that nice Gordon Brown will give you a free ten bedroomed house, pay all your taxes and utility bills along with a very generous fortnightly benifit check for you to buy booze and ciggs should you want them. On top of that, you will get a free National health Service, free community nurses to help you feed and care for them, free childcare should you want to go back to work when they are 5 years old, a £2,000 starter cheque for each baby to open a savings account and we'll pay for special needs nurses to help you with your other children, two who have special needs.You know, it becomes completely impossible to discuss reality in the face of stuff like this.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Nomad;1134427 wrote: Theres a very special and sacred bond between a woman and her eggs.

I had some lovely eggs from The Turkish Deli the other day.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1134469 wrote: You know, it becomes completely impossible to discuss reality in the face of stuff like this.

The point i was making Spot, is that in America, the woman has to beg for money. Although i admit, i was being sarcastic toward our too generous benifit system, she would not have had to beg for anything had she of been British.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1134490 wrote: The point i was making Spot, is that in America, the woman has to beg for money. Although i admit, i was being sarcastic toward our too generous benifit system, she would not have had to beg for anything had she of been British.

And how do we discuss the generosity or otherwise of either system when there's no place for accuracy? It just becomes a joke site at that stage.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1134491 wrote: And how do we discuss the generosity or otherwise of either system when there's no place for accuracy? It just becomes a joke site at that stage.

Ok..... but do you agree that had she of been in britain, she would not be struggling now?
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1134494 wrote: Ok..... but do you agree that had she of been in britain, she would not be struggling now?

There are so many issues in that sentence.

Any doctor in England putting her in that position by implanting that many at one go would be struck off, it just never ever happens.

If she had non-assisted octuplets in the UK then the magazines would be paying four or five million pounds for a 20-year exclusive contract. I'm surprised she's not got one in the US, she's obviously badly represented. She's more sponsorable than an Olympic gold medal winner, assisted or otherwise.

The US media are even closer to being killer carnivores than their UK tabloid equivalents, they lie and guess and exaggerate just to add sales. Why should I trust any report about her begging or her culpability or her wishes? Are you telling me a tabloid reporter can't get someone like that to say anything at all? Uncaring vultures, every last one of them.

Examining the comparative difference in social welfare provision, means-tested and universal, for different categories of people in the US and UK is interesting. What has that to do with this joke thread?
Oscar Namechange

spot;1134497 wrote: There are so many issues in that sentence.

Any doctor in England putting her in that position by implanting that many at one go would be struck off, it just never ever happens.

If she had non-assisted octuplets in the UK then the magazines would be paying four or five million pounds for a 20-year exclusive contract. I'm surprised she's not got one in the US, she's obviously badly represented. She's more sponsorable than an Olympic gold medal winner, assisted or otherwise.

The US media are even closer to being killer carnivores than their UK tabloid equivalents, they lie and guess and exaggerate just to add sales. Why should I trust any report about her begging or her culpability or her wishes? Are you telling me a tabloid reporter can't get someone like that to say anything at all? Uncaring vultures, every last one of them.

Examining the comparative difference in social welfare provision, means-tested and universal, for different categories of people in the US and UK is interesting. What has that to do with this joke thread?

I will try to get a link for you but the source i heard it on was the BBC.

It's also been well reported that the hospital is also looking for two million but they don't give a reason why.

It is odd i must admit that the likes of 'Hello' magazine are not queuing up for a deal but then the babies have already been shown in most tabloid papers. As you say, she may have been badly represented and she should have kept the babies under wraps until she got an exclusive.

I still say that IF the stories of her asking for donations are true, she would be far better off in this country.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1134497 wrote: There are so many issues in that sentence.

Here's a link for you Spot:

The mother of all baby bumps: Octuplets' mum bares her ENORMOUS stomach eight days before giving birth | Mail Online

As you will see in the article, it states that the mother has launched a website asking for donations by credit card payment.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1134511 wrote: As you will see in the article, it states that the mother has launched a website asking for donations by credit card payment."The Killeen Furtney Group, a Los Angeles marketing and public relations firm, announced today that their client, Ms. Nadya Suleman, mother of octuplets born last week, has selected Ann Curry, NBC anchor, to tell her story. For further information: Michael J. Furtney, Partner of Killeen Furtney Group, +1-310-476-6941"

They did the website, regardless of what the Mail thinks. They're selling her to the media. I for one don't believe she'll draw a cent in means-tested benefits for the rest of her life.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1134520 wrote: "The Killeen Furtney Group, a Los Angeles marketing and public relations firm, announced today that their client, Ms. Nadya Suleman, mother of octuplets born last week, has selected Ann Curry, NBC anchor, to tell her story. For further information: Michael J. Furtney, Partner of Killeen Furtney Group, +1-310-476-6941"

They did the website, regardless of what the Mail thinks. They're selling her to the media. I for one don't believe she'll draw a cent in means-tested benefits for the rest of her life.

I agree there. The advertising possibilities will be worth a life time of those children.

We had another thread on the lady a couple of weeks back and i wish to repeat something i said there. Having gone through IVF myself and knowing the proceedure, it is huge odds that all eggs will survive once implanted into the womb. Doctors usually implant 6 to 8 eggs as from this there is a good chance of getting maybe just one or two babies.

I do not believe for a minute that she knew she would have all eggs survive and give birth to 8 fairly healthy babies. The odds of that happening are astonishing.

The hospital also would not have an idea that all eggs would have carried full term and the doctor would probably have assumed she would end up with one or two babies. There is a very high risk of miscarraige once the eggs are implanted into the womb.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1134546 wrote: Doctors usually implant 6 to 8 eggs as from this there is a good chance of getting maybe just one or two babies."In 2006, the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) published revised guidelines regarding the appropriate maximum number of embryos to transfer. The guidelines are dependent on female age. They suggest a maximum of one or 2 embryos for transfer in women under 35 years old, 2-3 at 35-37, 2-4 at 38-40, and 3-5 embryos maximum at age over 40."

Day 5 Blastocyst Transfer for IVF & Multiple Pregnancy Risks

It seems a well-informed article.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1134553 wrote: "In 2006, the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) published revised guidelines regarding the appropriate maximum number of embryos to transfer. The guidelines are dependent on female age. They suggest a maximum of one or 2 embryos for transfer in women under 35 years old, 2-3 at 35-37, 2-4 at 38-40, and 3-5 embryos maximum at age over 40."

Day 5 Blastocyst Transfer for IVF & Multiple Pregnancy Risks

It seems a well-informed article.

I had my IVF over 20 years ago now so i was not aware of new guidlines. So in hindsight, it was fool-hardy to implant 8 or even more.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Well, all of the children are here in this world regardless of the events leading up to their births. My main concern is them. Will they be receiving the care and the nurturing they deserve, especially in this first year as infants? Will the other children be nurtured as well? They did not choose to be in this situation.

"It takes a village to raise a child" means more in that household especially. The family is going to need all the support they can get.

We can talk all day about who is "at fault" and who acted "stupidly", but there are still bottles to warm, diapers to change, and babies to be bathed and cuddled and rocked to sleep. And the older children to know that they are loved and taken care of.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

Today's newspaper report

Revealed: Three of octuplet mother's older children are disabled... and she claims benefits for them | Mail Online
Oscar Namechange

Octuplet mum's first exclusive interview

Octuplets mum Nadya Suleman: My amazing story - Exclusive - mirror.co.uk
Odie

Post by Odie »

Scrat;1135025 wrote: I found a pic of her, should I put it up?

Oscar, sure!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
BTS

Post by BTS »

spot;1134469 wrote: You know, it becomes completely impossible to discuss reality in the face of stuff like this.

Originally Posted by oscar

It's Ok..... just come to Britain and that nice Gordon Brown will give you a free ten bedroomed house, pay all your taxes and utility bills along with a very generous fortnightly benifit check for you to buy booze and ciggs should you want them. On top of that, you will get a free National health Service, free community nurses to help you feed and care for them, free childcare should you want to go back to work when they are 5 years old, a £2,000 starter cheque for each baby to open a savings account and we'll pay for special needs nurses to help you with your other children, two who have special needs.

Do tell spot...........

Why is it so hard to argue with facts about England?

I have heard HERE on this forumgarden how great England's health care is and Oscar has a point.

I think we should see if we might ship her over your way...for the childrens sake as here in America she could neverrack up a 2 million dollar bill without funds..........

OOPSIE she did
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
spot

Post by spot »

BTS;1135078 wrote: Do tell spot...........

I have heard HERE on this forumgarden how great England's health care is and Oscar has a point.

I thinkwe should see if we might ship her over your way...

Go for it. You want to play make-believe fantasy? Don't let me stop you, go right ahead.
BTS

Post by BTS »

oscar;1134494 wrote: Ok..... but do you agree that had she of been in britain, she would not be struggling now?

Hmmm the only one strugglin over this is Kaiser (her hospital) from the enormous bill.

Only in AMERICA and we wonder why our premiums are SOOOO HIGH!!

We have to cover this...........
BTS

Post by BTS »

Octuplet Grandma Angela Suleman Speaks Out, Tells a Different Story from Nadya's

Angela Suleman, mother of octuplet mom Nadya Suleman, is disputing several statements made by Nadya Suleman in her NBC interview with Ann Curry. Grandma Angela says that Nadya's boyfriend and the biological father of her 14 children wanted to marry her, but Nadya insisted on having children on her own.

In an article posted early this morning, the Associated Press reports:

Nadya Suleman...told NBC's "Today" show that the same fertility specialist provided in-vitro fertilization for all 14 of her children.

Angela Suleman seemed to contradict that account, saying the fertility specialist who helped her daughter give birth to the octuplets was a different doctor from the one who aided in the birth of her first six children.

Angela Suleman said she and her husband pleaded with Nadya's first fertility doctor not to treat their daughter again, so Nadya found another doctor to work with. "I'm really angry about that," Angela Suleman said of the doctor's decision to perform the procedure.

The AP article cites a video interview Angela Suleman gave to RadarOnline.com. At the celebrity news website, a very tired-looking Grandma Angela is seen on-camera. (No wonder, as she's been raising the children without Nadya's help for the past 2 months). Still photos inside the house show a cluttered, crowded home.

My heart goes out to this woman, who's stepped into the role of primary caregiver because she has no other choice. And to add insult to injury, she's being publicly slammed by her own daughter. In the NBC interview, Nadya told Ann Curry that she wanted a large family because she grew up in a dysfunctional family and never felt loved. As RadarOnline.com tells it:

Angela also voiced her anger over Nadya's claim she was raised in a dysfunctional family and was lonely as a child. "We raised her in a loving family and her father always spoiled her," Angela said.

"The truth is that Nadya hasn't worked since she started having her children," Angela charged, "while Ed and I battled to pay her bills. "Nadya promised to help me with the bills, but she never has. I lost a house because of it and now I'm struggling to look after her six. We had to put in bunk beds, feed them in shifts and there's children's clothing piled all over the house."

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

This is so sad. I feel very much for the grandparents, who so often end up providing primary care for their selfish offspring's innocent children. I've known it in cases where the mother is a druggie, or mentally ill (I wonder if the latter is the case here) or just irresponsible and dysfunctional. The mother will, I'm sure, be absolutely fine - while chaos rules around her and everyone else does all the work for her, foots her bills etc. Because of the innocent children. No matter how irritated society / other people get with the mother, how can any of us wish harm to the children, who maybe should never have been born, but have been born?
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Oscar Namechange

BTS;1135078 wrote: Originally Posted by oscar

Do tell spot...........

I think we should see if we might ship her over your way...for the childrens sake as here in America she could neverrack up a 2 million dollar bill without funds..........

OOPSIE she did

Spot expressed his umbrage over the way i worded my opening post but what i wrote, is fact. If she were British or indeed a British immigrant, she would be entitled to all of those benifits and probably more.

Although i do highly rate our Prime Minister, i have to say that our benifit system is way out of control. Gordon Brown has promised that there will be a massive crack down on benifit spending as it takes away all desire to work.

I agree with Spot that she will probably not have to beg for donations if she is represented well for advertising deals but the article i posted was that she was appealing for donations by credit card. I was trying to point out that in this country, the tax payer would have kept her in benifit pay out for the rest of her life.

Having said that, she would have been equally as scorned upon in our country as she is in the States. To even conemplate IVF and bring a child into the world already having 6 children, two of which are handicapped, is mental.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1135396 wrote: To even conemplate IVF and bring a child into the world already having 6 children, two of which are handicapped, is mental.I absolutely guarantee there's no IVF clinic in the UK which would have touched her with a bargepole.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1135421 wrote: I absolutely guarantee there's no IVF clinic in the UK which would have touched her with a bargepole.
Having read the guide-lines you posted and doing a little more gooogling i must agree. Although my IVF was a very long time ago, i had 3 eggs implanted and i had no other children at the time. That was 20 odd years ago now.

I still say that the odds of all the eggs coming to fruition are astronomical and i'm now beggining to wonder, if 8 babies survived, how many eggs did the doctor actually implant?
spot

Post by spot »

Death threats, anyone? King: Why are we mad at her?

Killeen: That's a good question to ask America. If you look at the e-mails that are coming into my office, they're saying they think that she's worked the system. They think that she's been able to stay home and live off of the taxpayers and have these multiple children. She's not organized. She doesn't have any kind of structure, you know; isn't six children enough? She intentionally went out to get eight children.

And, you know, remember, Larry, she worked with the same doctor for every in vitro fertilization attempt. Based on her history of six embryos implanted, she got one child. The doctor told her the most this last attempt would be would be either one baby or twins, at the most.

So she was shocked, he was shocked. Nobody expected eight children. That's the big -- big misnomer here. Everybody thinks she went and ordered eight and she got eight. She didn't.

PR exec: Death threats forced firm to drop octuplet mom - CNN.com

Oscar Namechange

spot;1138693 wrote: Death threats, anyone? King: Why are we mad at her?

Killeen: That's a good question to ask America. If you look at the e-mails that are coming into my office, they're saying they think that she's worked the system. They think that she's been able to stay home and live off of the taxpayers and have these multiple children. She's not organized. She doesn't have any kind of structure, you know; isn't six children enough? She intentionally went out to get eight children.

And, you know, remember, Larry, she worked with the same doctor for every in vitro fertilization attempt. Based on her history of six embryos implanted, she got one child. The doctor told her the most this last attempt would be would be either one baby or twins, at the most.

So she was shocked, he was shocked. Nobody expected eight children. That's the big -- big misnomer here. Everybody thinks she went and ordered eight and she got eight. She didn't.

PR exec: Death threats forced firm to drop octuplet mom - CNN.com

I am very pleased to see that what i said all along appears to be correct. She would not have 'ordered' eight babies. They were implanted to give her a better chance of one or maybe two babies. However, the amount of eggs implanted is outside guidelines and for that the doctor needs to be held to account.

The death threats are nauseating. Whatever she has done or even however troubled she may be....... she needs help. The babies did not ask to be born. They were born and that's all that matters now. Bumping off their mother and leaving them orphaned possibly to be split up and dis-placed among foster parents is ridiculous.
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Whether she wanted one or eight - the fact of the matter is she already had 6 that she couldn't afford to take care of on her own.

Generally speaking - the American public is pretty understanding when couples who really want children but can not have them without the help of invitro have 2,4,6, or even 8 children. But it really galls us to see a single woman, who has no visible means of support (besides SSI, food stamps and government grants for college) has 8 more children that she can't take care of and will pawn off on her parents while living on the taxpayers dime.
Sandi

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

LilacDragon;1138752 wrote: Whether she wanted one or eight - the fact of the matter is she already had 6 that she couldn't afford to take care of on her own.

Generally speaking - the American public is pretty understanding when couples who really want children but can not have them without the help of invitro have 2,4,6, or even 8 children. But it really galls us to see a single woman, who has no visible means of support (besides SSI, food stamps and government grants for college) has 8 more children that she can't take care of and will pawn off on her parents while living on the taxpayers dime.

According to the mommy of 8, she didn't want to see her extra eggs destroyed so she had them implanted in her. What she was thinking is beyond me. Donate them dum dum. I agree with you LD, it is galling that she is now seeking help for her kidlets. Her own publicty co. dumped her for reasons we will never know. And I'm not saying she was out for the money but who knows.
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1138755 wrote: According to the mommy of 8, she didn't want to see her extra eggs destroyed so she had them implanted in her. What she was thinking is beyond me. Donate them dum dum. I agree with you LD, it is galling that she is now seeking help for her kidlets. Her own publicty co. dumped her for reasons we will never know. And I'm not saying she was out for the money but who knows.

What an incredibly sad start in life for the babies though. I agree with you in that having 6 kids already with no father or means of support is just mental.

Return to “General Chit Chat”