For Pinkchick, Galbally and Mike.....

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

For Pinkchick, Galbally and Mike and anyone else who loves Ireland and Dublin:-4........

My friends were shopping around for mermaid books for my recent birthday. They came upon a new author named Brendan O'Carroll from Dublin. He reminds me of one of my favorite Irish authors, Frank O'Connor.

Brendan O'Carroll is a brilliant, humerous and witty writer. I was given a set of 4 books by him called The Mammy, The Chisellers, The Granny and The Young Wan. This is a series of stories about Agnes Browne and her brood of 7 children who live in 1970s Dublin.

You have no idea how thrilled I am that my friends found these books for me:-4 I'm over the moon.

The whole 1st book, the Chisellers, live in the area of Dublin that my Uncle Jim and his family, my darling 1st cousins lived. Jim lived on Seville Place just passed Amien Street Station along the North Circular Road.

I know every street, the 5 lampposts, the restaurants and pubs....I know EVERYTHING.....as I've walked down those streets a million times.

What beautiful memories they bring back to me of my Irish family and all the good times we had.

You may like to try reading these books as the stories are fabulous. Just looking at the illustrations of the wee boys with their jumpers and sandles smiling all lovely will do your heart good.

Ta me Eire,

Catriona
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

We are booked for a flight to Ireland the day after the kids get outta school KE and are looking forward to a great time in Ireland. Two birthdays in another country will be something Cecelia & Quin will never forget:wah: Oh my, gotta find a bakery for an awesome cake will be something to look for. We have decided to do both birthdays on those days - 22nd & 26th. It's rough but we've done it before although they don't mind sharing.:-4
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Kathy Ellen;1134353 wrote: For Pinkchick, Galbally and Mike and anyone else who loves Ireland and Dublin:-4........

My friends were shopping around for mermaid books for my recent birthday. They came upon a new author named Brendan O'Carroll from Dublin. He reminds me of one of my favorite Irish authors, Frank O'Connor.

Brendan O'Carroll is a brilliant, humerous and witty writer. I was given a set of 4 books by him called The Mammy, The Chisellers, The Granny and The Young Wan. This is a series of stories about Agnes Browne and her brood of 7 children who live in 1970s Dublin.

You have no idea how thrilled I am that my friends found these books for me:-4 I'm over the moon.

The whole 1st book, the Chisellers, live in the area of Dublin that my Uncle Jim and his family, my darling 1st cousins lived. Jim lived on Seville Place just passed Amien Street Station along the North Circular Road.

I know every street, the 5 lampposts, the restaurants and pubs....I know EVERYTHING.....as I've walked down those streets a million times.

What beautiful memories they bring back to me of my Irish family and all the good times we had.

You may like to try reading these books as the stories are fabulous. Just looking at the illustrations of the wee boys with their jumpers and sandles smiling all lovely will do your heart good.

Ta me Eire,

Catriona

Thank you sweetheart ... I'll look out for those books :-4
Very nearly perfect ... :D
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

those books sound good Kathy:D they remind me of Catherine Cookson books, she wrote books about the north east families and i could also recall exact places she wrote about:-6

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “The Library”