Keeping warm this winter

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Bez

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Bez »

I wonder if anyone can answer this dilema for me.

where I live is as folows :-

1 bedroom

1 living room

Small bathroom

Small Kitchen

Very small entrance hall

Each room barring the kitchen has a radiator (sizes to suit room)

Combination Boiler (newish) with timer and temperature control.

Now.....does anyone know what the most economic way of running the heating is ?

1. Timed for Morning, Day, evening and night (various temps)

2, Constant...24hrs at one temp

Opinions on the web vary a lot so help appreciated.

Thanks
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
mikeinie

Keeping warm this winter

Post by mikeinie »

Bez;1102326 wrote: I wonder if anyone can answer this dilema for me.

1 bedroom

1 living room

Small bathroom

Small Kitchen

Very small entrance hall

Thanks

The most economic? turn it off and where a nice warm jumper...
*Mo*

Keeping warm this winter

Post by *Mo* »

Is there one?

Depends on funds i guess,we try to keep ours at

On 4am

off at 8am

then

4pm

till 9pm

But we have been over riding that last couple of days.
Kindle

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Kindle »

What kind of windows do you have?

We have a wall of windows in the livingroom and, therefore, with the leaves off the trees in winter, the sun streams in. This room is always warm and the heat, which is on an automatic timer, does not go on except on the coldest and darkest of days. Now the rest of the house, where the bedrooms, computer room and bathroom are is alot cooler. Since I am usually in the kitchen or livingroom during the day, this is no problem. When I clean this isn't a problem either as I'm moving. If I feel cold when I'm online, I use a shawl or a fleece jacket.

See if you can let Mother Nature help you warm your place.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Bez

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Bez »

mikeinie;1102350 wrote: The most economic? turn it off and where a nice warm jumper...

I'm currently wearing a fleece and a poncho over the top....bodies warm but hands and nose are cold ! :D
Bez

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Bez »

*Mo*;1102359 wrote: Is there one?

Depends on funds i guess,we try to keep ours at

On 4am

off at 8am

then

4pm

till 9pm

But we have been over riding that last couple of days.

As I'm retired I'm in most of the time. I wrap up warm and I'm not looking to live in a 'hot house' just wondered if leaving the heating on 'constant' at lower temp would be more economical
Bez

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Bez »

Kindle;1102373 wrote: What kind of windows do you have?

We have a wall of windows in the livingroom and, therefore, with the leaves off the trees in winter, the sun streams in. This room is always warm and the heat, which is on an automatic timer, does not go on except on the coldest and darkest of days. Now the rest of the house, where the bedrooms, computer room and bathroom are is alot cooler. Since I am usually in the kitchen or livingroom during the day, this is no problem. When I clean this isn't a problem either as I'm moving. If I feel cold when I'm online, I use a shawl or a fleece jacket.

See if you can let Mother Nature help you warm your place.

I have double glazed windows . Living room faces south but the windows take up the whole 'wall' so to speak. Bedroom faces North and has the same 'wall of windows'. I've started to close the doors between the rooms more. This does seem to keep the living room warmer but the bedroom is cold.....oh well....bedsocks and hot water bottle again tonight I guess :o
Kindle

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Kindle »

Bez;1102381 wrote: As I'm retired I'm in most of the time. I wrap up warm and I'm not looking to live in a 'hot house' just wondered if leaving the heating on 'constant' at lower temp would be more economical

My guess is a constant temperature would cost less cause you wouldn't have to crank it up to overcome the cold, and a slight nudge on a constant temp would get you warmer quickly.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Bez

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Bez »

Kindle;1102387 wrote: My guess is a constant temperature would cost less cause you wouldn't have to crank it up to overcome the cold, and a slight nudge on a constant temp would get you warmer quickly.

Sounds logical. I might give it a try and compare bills when I get them....thanks
OpenMind

Keeping warm this winter

Post by OpenMind »

In my flat in Bedford, I used to have the heating on all the time. However, I would alter the temperature when I got up in the morning and again when I went to bed at night. We need a lower temperature to sleep properly. The difference is only a few degrees and helps to reduce the bill slightly as it doesn't take much energy to raise the temperature when you turn it back up. This means it's still warm enough if you need to nip to the loo in the middle of the night. Apart from that, my houseplants needed to be kept at a certain temperature at night also.

If you have the right temperature for the day, experiment till you get the right temperature at night. Somewhere between 3 and 5 degrees lower should be sufficient.
along-for-the-ride

Keeping warm this winter

Post by along-for-the-ride »

To save energy costs. I've heard that setting the thermostat to 68 degrees and leaving it there is supposed to be effecient and comfortable.

I personally like a cool bedroom and a warm bathroom. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Odie

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Odie »

Bez;1102326 wrote: I wonder if anyone can answer this dilema for me.

1 bedroom

1 living room

Small bathroom

Small Kitchen

Very small entrance hall

Thanks

a rad system is the most economical way to heat, leave all rooms on 24 hrs at same temp, this way you will have an even flow of heat through your home. They supply a much more even amount of heat than gas or electric.

Rad`s have nice cozy feel to them, to me, running it at the same temp is a better way.....often people turn off one or two, leaving cold air to come out to the rest of the house, forcing the boiler to come on more often, hence, costing you more money to heat.......now, if your thinking of turning off the rads and closing the doors some of the rooms, then you probably can turn the heat down.

Our first home had radiators, it was only a 900sq ft home, all radiators remained on at all times at same temp.

also, your rads need to be bled to get the heat thru, we used to do ours once a week, or when you start to hear a knocking, time to bleed them.........very important thing to do to get the heat flow through them, otherwise you will noticed you will have to start turning up the thermostat as not much heat is coming out.

69 is a a good setting for them, but you can also try lower or higher, pending on your own likeness.

-at night, you can always turn it down on degree as you are sleeping in bed, and you don`t need that heat, just play around with it until content.
Life is just to short for drama.
mikeinie

Keeping warm this winter

Post by mikeinie »

Bez;1102376 wrote: I'm currently wearing a fleece and a poncho over the top....bodies warm but hands and nose are cold ! :D

Sure then, find yourself some young hunk and put your hands where you know they will keep warm....:sneaky:
Bez

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Bez »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

My systems default settings which are timed had a big variation between temperature. I've altered the temperatures to be more consistent specially at night which was set very low. I'm also keeping the doors closed between the rooms. It's helped a lot and it's much cosier here today. Apparently it's going to be -5 / -6 tonight Brrrrrr
Bez

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Bez »

mikeinie;1102700 wrote: Sure then, find yourself some young hunk and put your hands where you know they will keep warm....:sneaky:

I wish.....:yh_rotfl
Bryn Mawr

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Bryn Mawr »

along-for-the-ride;1102664 wrote: To save energy costs. I've heard that setting the thermostat to 68 degrees and leaving it there is supposed to be effecient and comfortable.

I personally like a cool bedroom and a warm bathroom. ;)

My preference is 70 when I'm likely to be in and awake and 65 when I'm likely to be out or asleep.

And yes, the bedroom is never directly heated - an open door is enough.
Nomad

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Nomad »

Im not actually recommending this to anyone but recently while lighting a cigarette I started my glove on fire.

That will warm you right up.
I AM AWESOME MAN
sunny104

Keeping warm this winter

Post by sunny104 »

Nomad;1115045 wrote: Im not actually recommending this to anyone but recently while lighting a cigarette I started my glove on fire.

That will warm you right up.

:yh_rotfl

we must be related, I swear...:D
Nomad

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Nomad »

Im discovering little drafts of cold air shooting in here and there.

Im working on finding them and sealing them with weatherstripping.

Odd thing, this winter the seam where the driveway meets the garage floor has risen about 2"

Its really substantial. Either the driveway is growing or the house is settling.

Im assuming if the house is settling it directly coincides with windows and doors becoming out of alignment thus causing drafts.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Odie »

ahhhhhhhhh!

went looking for waterproof winter boots, 4 stores, all sold out!:-5:-5
Nomad

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Nomad »

Odie;1128732 wrote: ahhhhhhhhh!

went looking for waterproof winter boots, 4 stores, all sold out!:-5:-5

If theyre for around the house you have bigger problems than finding boots. :D
I AM AWESOME MAN
Sunshine

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Sunshine »

:yh_rotfl Warm? Not in my kitchen or family room. There is one heat register for my combination kitchen and dining area which has one window, a patio door and a dog door (which I think is where most of the cold air is coming from) The contractors that built this place built the family room so that it has three outside walls. One wall has the fireplace, which needs cleaning so I don't use it, the other two walls have the heat registers. Now just where do you place furniture when you can't block the registers of cover up the fireplace. Duhhhhhhhh. They sure didn't think that one out very well. So saying, the rest of the house is warm but the family room and kitchen are freezing. :(
Betty Boop

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Betty Boop »

I have quite a large living room/dining room. A big bay window at one end with a smaller one opposite. It's not normally too bad here, but today its blowing a hooley, the heating is on high, and it's still a bit chilly. Will be pulling the duvet off the bed later :wah:

I have no double glazing at all, just windows that provide a good source of ventilation :rolleyes::D
Odie

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1128763 wrote: I have quite a large living room/dining room. A big bay window at one end with a smaller one opposite. It's not normally too bad here, but today its blowing a hooley, the heating is on high, and it's still a bit chilly. Will be pulling the duvet off the bed later :wah:

I have no double glazing at all, just windows that provide a good source of ventilation :rolleyes::D

sounds like our living room, but our bay window brings in a huge draft!:-5:-5
Betty Boop

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1128769 wrote: sounds like our living room, but our bay window brings in a huge draft!:-5:-5

All my windows bring in a huge draft :wah::wah: (and doors!)
Bryn Mawr

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Nomad;1128720 wrote: Im discovering little drafts of cold air shooting in here and there.

Im working on finding them and sealing them with weatherstripping.

Odd thing, this winter the seam where the driveway meets the garage floor has risen about 2"

Its really substantial. Either the driveway is growing or the house is settling.

Im assuming if the house is settling it directly coincides with windows and doors becoming out of alignment thus causing drafts.

Two inches is one hell of a lot of settling in a few months - I'd start looking where the footings were going, it could be a big hole.

More likely there's water under the drive pushing it up.
Oscar Namechange

Keeping warm this winter

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Don't have builders in through winter..... they leave doors open :-5
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Home Management”