Drug Addiction

maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

Heroin addiction is a huge problem in this country. More and more people are falling under the spell of this evil drug. Once addicted. Users find themselves and their lives controlled by it. The grip it has on them is so strong that they are even willing to risk their freedom by stealing to fund their expensive habit.

While the drug-dealers are getting richer plying their trade, many lives are being torn apart all because of their addiction to heroin.

At the moment the government are placing all emphasis on catching the drug smugglers and dealers. Well sure enough they have to be stopped, however we only have a drugs trade because we have addicts who are willing to spend large amounts of money for their daily fix.

A whole new approach is needed in tackling this problem. Much more help needs to be available to drug users, giving them the chance of repairing their damaged lives. After all there are underlying causes as to why a person falls into drug addiction. Nobody chooses to destroy his or her life for the fun of it. And a lot of them have never had proper medical assistance in an effort to live a normal life. Getting to the root cause of the problem is the only way forward. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Where will the money come from? Well that is simple. Cut the amount of money that’s being pumped into chasing the dealers, and redirect it towards treatment for the addicts. The overall knock-on affect will gradually help to dismantle the drugs trade. The fewer drug users there are, the smaller the drugs empire.

Basically, using this approach will be much more constructive than the way things are dealt with at the moment on this subject.

Leave a comment on this topic at: http://www.healthmad.com/Addiction/Drug-Addiction.30719
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Drug Addiction

Post by RedGlitter »

While I agree that the "drug war" is a pathetic joke, there will always be a drug "problem" as long as there are human beings to have it. You say the root cause is their need for a fix, well why don't you pare that down to the lowest denominator and find out the reason(s) for the need? People don't fall into it because of untended medical problems, they do it because A) it's fun and B) it kills the pain of living. The biggest and most basic drug we have is booze and we can't regulate or monitor that or the jerks who use it to ill effects so what makes us think we have a solution for hard drugs?? It's there and people are going to use it. If it's not there, they'll find a way to get it.
maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

You use the word jerks in reference to the people who take drugs. Yes sure enough their are those who experiment with drugs for the fun of it, yet their are some who turn to drugs through psycholological reasons i.e past problems that weaken them and force them in a way to find releif from their torment. You should not tar everyone with the same brush. If we are to move forward in the fight against drug abuse then we must take a more simpathetic and understanding approach to this problem. We would be making a cruel mistake to just turn our backs on those people who's lives are damaged by this evil thing in our society.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Drug Addiction

Post by RedGlitter »

maccat;649525 wrote: You use the word jerks in reference to the people who take drugs. Yes sure enough their are those who experiment with drugs for the fun of it, yet their are some who turn to drugs through psycholological reasons i.e past problems that weaken them and force them in a way to find releif from their torment. You should not tar everyone with the same brush. If we are to move forward in the fight against drug abuse then we must take a more simpathetic and understanding approach to this problem. We would be making a cruel mistake to just turn our backs on those people who's lives are damaged by this evil thing in our society.


No.

I used the word jerks in reference to people who harm others through their usage. Such as drunk drivers, or crackheads taking out a family off the sidewalk. I feel no pity or mercy to people like that nor should I.I believe in my first reply I already acknowledged that drugs kill or dull life's pain.

Again I say we never will advance in "the war on drugs" because it isn't a drug problem, it's a human problem and people will do as they will.

Also, you must be assuming all drugs and all drug use is "Bad" or "evil" and I most certainly do not agree.
maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

I understand your views on drugs with Americas huge problems.However i am refering to the social aspects of things. I totally agree that the drug fuelled maniacs on our streets need to be severely dealt with. Drug taking however covers a larger spectrum with a huge amount of complicated sinareos. Try to understand where im coming from rather than having a blinkered atitude.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Drug Addiction

Post by RedGlitter »

maccat;649531 wrote: I understand your views on drugs with Americas huge problems.However i am refering to the social aspects of things. I totally agree that the drug fuelled maniacs on our streets need to be severely dealt with. Drug taking however covers a larger spectrum with a huge amount of complicated sinareos. Try to understand where im coming from rather than having a blinkered atitude.


Maccat, I know you're brand new here but already you're coming up on my bad side with some of the things you say. Perhaps it is only how the words appear and not your intention.

I take it you are not from America then? May I ask where you are from? You didn't take time to make an introduction post or fill out your profile so we don't know anything of you.

And maybe you could elaborate on this larger spectrum of scenarios you speak of; what you hope to accomplish and how you think it would work.
maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

Yes i am new to Forum Garden.com and i am sorry if i offend you as this is far from my intention. I just have strong views on the subject and feel that societys present attitude towards drug addicts is not doing anything in reaching a solution to our problems. My reference to the different senarios regarding drug abuse is quite simply that people fall under the spell of drug addiction for many different reasons. Believe it or not they are not all maniacs. Also no i am not an American .I am from Liverpool England.
User avatar
SuzyB
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Drug Addiction

Post by SuzyB »

I think that drugs will always be around while the need for them is there, I think that the police should be targeting the drug dealers, in my eyes they are one of the worst low life you can get. Everyone has choices in life, all the time people are choosing drugs, they can not be helped, they have to want to change. I would imagine that it is awful coming clean but even harder living each day trying to stay clean. I don't know how much help you think they need, but sometimes it comes down to willpower, communication and support. I know that help is there if you want it, but you can't expect everyone else to take responsibility for your choices.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!





RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Drug Addiction

Post by RedGlitter »

maccat;649535 wrote: Yes i am new to Forum Garden.com and i am sorry if i offend you as this is far from my intention. I just have strong views on the subject and feel that societys present attitude towards drug addicts is not doing anything in reaching a solution to our problems. My reference to the different senarios regarding drug abuse is quite simply that people fall under the spell of drug addiction for many different reasons. Believe it or not they are not all maniacs. Also no i am not an American .I am from Liverpool England.


Welcome to Forum Garden then. :)

We agree that there are many reasons for drug use. And, no I didn't think all users were maniacs. I know quite a few "normal" ones. Out of curiousity, would you also consider alcohol to be a drug? Is it any less worse than the drugs we're talking about? In your opinion?
maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

I agree the drug dealers are the lowest of the low. But do you not have any sympathy for those poor people caught up in drug addiction. Lives shattered, lives lost all because nobody wants to understand and help these victims. Yes victims is what a lot of them are.
User avatar
SuzyB
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Drug Addiction

Post by SuzyB »

maccat;649541 wrote: I agree the drug dealers are the lowest of the low. But do you not have any sympathy for those poor people caught up in drug addiction. Lives shattered, lives lost all because nobody wants to understand and help these victims. Yes victims is what a lot of them are.


I do have sympathy, but only if they are trying to help themselves, if people want to continue killing themselves and hurting people around them then my sympathy is better placed for a cancer patient, or a child suffering, the list goes on.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!





maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

To be honest Alcohol can be a whole lot worse than some illegal drugs. And yes i do see it as a drug. If a person has psychological problems then the bottle can be just as comforting as any drug to them. Yet it doesn't carry quite the same stigma. You must agree with me on that.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Drug Addiction

Post by RedGlitter »

Well I can't say I have sympathy for them any more than I have sympathy for a drunk. People make their choices in life, even when they're "self medicating" and they know it's potentially addictive, knew it when they were going in. To me they're not poor victims. They're just people with a drug habit. They've existed forever. I feel sorry for people who truly are victims and had no idea of what they were getting into, brought nothing onto themselves. Those people get my sympathy.
mikeinie
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:43 am

Drug Addiction

Post by mikeinie »

Maccat!

Abusive Relationships!

Drug Addiction!

What’s up??
maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

SuzyB you have a legitimate arguement and i agree totally. If a person is willing to accept help it should be their for them , however if their not interested then my sympathy does have its limits.
maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

Red Glitter i can see your point of view however i feel you are quite hard hearted and i would struggle to get you seeing my way of looking at the situation. I do however respect your opinion.
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

Drug Addiction

Post by Mia »

This is a difficult one.OK drugs have been around since the sixties as far as I know. I was doing the sixties thing and in spite of being a mod and part time hippy I was never offered drugs,I think it was more a Carnaby Street thing.To all of you who don't know England it is a famous London Street.

I would say that the drug thing took off in the eighties here,this is when the rave parties started. The youngsters took E and lsd as we had taken booze to have a good time. Since those days the drugs have got stronger and more addictive Ie crack cocaine etc.The kids that have gone on to this turn to crime to fund their habit.Hence none of us are safe on the streets or even in your own home anymore.The only answer is to legalise drugs,stop the gang war shootings and help the addicts wean off.I dread to think just what our country will be like in another decade if something is not done to stop this.
User avatar
SuzyB
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Drug Addiction

Post by SuzyB »

Drugs have been around for years, look at opium that was around in the 18th century.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!





saffy
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:05 am

Drug Addiction

Post by saffy »

Drugs are everywhere!

Only a few weeks ago an old lady I know was arrested for selling her script drugs (jellies), she was 72 years old!
User avatar
SuzyB
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Drug Addiction

Post by SuzyB »

maccat;649553 wrote: Red Glitter i can see your point of view however i feel you are quite hard hearted and i would struggle to get you seeing my way of looking at the situation. I do however respect your opinion.


Maccat, I am sure that Red can answer herself but I would like you to know that Red is far from hard hearted, she is a realist, she has been there for my family with kind words and heartfelt emotion. I am sure that you will get to know what a fantastic person she is :-6
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!





mikeinie
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:43 am

Drug Addiction

Post by mikeinie »

When I start thinking of all the world’s problems such as drug addiction, abuse, and the things that make you ask why? Why? Why?

I just remember the following:



Then I just think:

maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

Well here i go i will tell you why i have the opinion that i have. My brother who i might add wasn't a maniac low life, just a person with problems he found hard to relay. He was in a happy relationship with two lovely children. However circumstance led him into a life of drugs. Heroin was the culprit. Needless to say it took his life, so i if any has a reason to hate drugs and yes i do. But knowing my brother taught me that drugs can enter a life not just because your a worthless no mark as my brother certainly wasn't. It can appear disquised as a friend when you really need one and turn around and stab you in the back. Just as it did with my brother.
mikeinie
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:43 am

Drug Addiction

Post by mikeinie »

sorry the second link did not connect correctly, let me try again:

User avatar
SuzyB
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Drug Addiction

Post by SuzyB »

maccat;649582 wrote: Well here i go i will tell you why i have the opinion that i have. My brother who i might add wasn't a maniac low life, just a person with problems he found hard to relay. He was in a happy relationship with two lovely children. However circumstance led him into a life of drugs. Heroin was the culprit. Needless to say it took his life, so i if any has a reason to hate drugs and yes i do. But knowing my brother taught me that drugs can enter a life not just because your a worthless no mark as my brother certainly wasn't. It can appear disquised as a friend when you really need one and turn around and stab you in the back. Just as it did with my brother.




It is really sad the effect drugs have, not only to the person taking them but their friends and families. I have been in desperate places within myself, but I have and never would touch drugs, drugs= death, death of friendship and death of living.

I don't understand how people would even chance taking it believing that they won't become addicted. One of my friends got addicted to a drug, she lost her job and in many ways her life, she became so paranoid she couldn't walk out her front door, she became a shadow of her former self. She was in a bad way for 3 years, in that time we had lost contact, i'm sorry but I couldn't be around her in that way, it was a bullshit way of life and a croc of lies that spilled from her mouth. As soon as she decided that she was getting clean, I was there for her 100%, I am pleased to say that she is happily settled down with a little girl.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!





User avatar
SuzyB
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Drug Addiction

Post by SuzyB »

Pinky;649567 wrote: I had a cousin in Holland that was a heroin addict. She was really clever, went to Uni, had a wonderful future ahead of her, then she met Johan - another addict and she got hooked. We only found out that she'd died when he knocked on my aunties door to beg for money to bury her daughter. She'd died a fortnight before.

Yes, drugs are stupid and the people who get hooked do it by their own choosing, but it doesn't just affect the addict, does it?


Your poor Auntie, what a terrible thing to happen.

Do you ever overhear the kids talking about drugs Pinks?
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!





RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Drug Addiction

Post by RedGlitter »

maccat;649545 wrote: To be honest Alcohol can be a whole lot worse than some illegal drugs. And yes i do see it as a drug. If a person has psychological problems then the bottle can be just as comforting as any drug to them. Yet it doesn't carry quite the same stigma. You must agree with me on that.


I agree that booze is considered socially acceptable when it's just as much a drug as the rest.

maccat;649553 wrote: Red Glitter i can see your point of view however i feel you are quite hard hearted and i would struggle to get you seeing my way of looking at the situation. I do however respect your opinion.


Maccat, I think what you're saying to me is that because I don't share your view and because I don't wish to put my pity where it doesn't belong, that you think I am wrong. That is fine. But personally, I think for you to make such a judgement call about me on your first day here is pretty off the mark, as I am one of the softest hearts around. I just don't cotton to stupidity. There isn't anyone past the age of childhood who hasn't heard that drugs are bad and to stay away from them, so if they don't listen, why is that anyone else's fault? People must take responsibility for their own doings.

I'm not trying to be a hardcase about this issue and I respect that it matters greatly to you. I am just presenting my -and what appears to be the opposing- point of view.
maccat
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 am

Drug Addiction

Post by maccat »

Well at least we can agree on one thing and thats to disagree. It wouldn't be a very interesting life if we all thought the same way. Also thanks for your comments on my Massacre poem.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Drug Addiction

Post by RedGlitter »

maccat;650080 wrote: Well at least we can agree on one thing and thats to disagree. It wouldn't be a very interesting life if we all thought the same way. Also thanks for your comments on my Massacre poem.


Agreed and you are welcome! I thought your poem was very powerful in getting its message across. :)
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38755
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Drug Addiction

Post by spot »

Those needing a more detailed exposition of the above post may read it at Alcohol, Tobacco, & Drugs - For Teens - For Parents & Kids - American Diabetes Association

Welcome to ForumGarden.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
Daniyal
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:56 pm

Drug Addiction

Post by Daniyal »

maccat;649518 wrote: Heroin addiction is a huge problem in this country. More and more people are falling under the spell of this evil drug. Once addicted. Users find themselves and their lives controlled by it. The grip it has on them is so strong that they are even willing to risk their freedom by stealing to fund their expensive habit.

While the drug-dealers are getting richer plying their trade, many lives are being torn apart all because of their addiction to heroin.

At the moment the government are placing all emphasis on catching the drug smugglers and dealers. Well sure enough they have to be stopped, however we only have a drugs trade because we have addicts who are willing to spend large amounts of money for their daily fix.

A whole new approach is needed in tackling this problem. Much more help needs to be available to drug users, giving them the chance of repairing their damaged lives. After all there are underlying causes as to why a person falls into drug addiction. Nobody chooses to destroy his or her life for the fun of it. And a lot of them have never had proper medical assistance in an effort to live a normal life. Getting to the root cause of the problem is the only way forward. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Where will the money come from? Well that is simple. Cut the amount of money that’s being pumped into chasing the dealers, and redirect it towards treatment for the addicts. The overall knock-on affect will gradually help to dismantle the drugs trade. The fewer drug users there are, the smaller the drugs empire.

Basically, using this approach will be much more constructive than the way things are dealt with at the moment on this subject.

Leave a comment on this topic at: Drug Addiction




Drug's Is Big Businesss = Big Buck's For The U.S.
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.



When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down





To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .



It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble



When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Gavyn
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:54 am

Drug Addiction

Post by Gavyn »

Drug addiction is something very bad.Nobody forces you to start use them.It is your choice.

Return to “Drugs, Alcohol Tobacco”