Extreme conditions of Australia

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

At the moment Queensland now has more land under water than above, and now the crocs have moved in. Victoria is about to face it's most nightmarish day since Ash Wednesday tommorow, and everyone is on alert. The South Australian government has opened emergency morgues to handle the death rates due to the extreme heatwave they are having.

At the moment Australia is facing a really crap time. To all the other Australians on the board: Keep a check on your elderly neighbours and if possible organise some kind of fan or airconditioning . If the power goes out, have some ice prepared for some kind of sustenance.

Put wet towels over the doors or windows where the breeze is likely to come through. Drink lots of water, and for gods sake don't go to the beach if your state is having extreme UV conditions. Now the hosing down of children and sprinklers is illegal, fill a bath up and put some toys in it for the little ones.

If you are able to get a little wading pool don't forget to sit in it yourself.:)
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

not looking forward to today and the weekend:( lets hope we dont lose power, besides the heat the humidity is awful:-1
FOC THREAD PART 1
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Mildura will be 46c tomorrow, we got to 48 last week for a short period .

Anyway here are the official warnings

Victoria

Heatwave return puts Victoria in its worst danger ever | Herald Sun

South Australia

Heatwave set to return | The Australian

New south Wales

Hot, windy weekend has NSW crews on edge

Queensland

Australian sugar farmers wait for floods to recede | Reuters
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

kayleneaussie;1128275 wrote: not looking forward to today and the weekend:( lets hope we dont lose power, besides the heat the humidity is awful:-1

We're only getting 30 something today, I don't envy your humidty though. tomorrow is the bad one one for us. last week arsenists were targetting power lines ...barstards.:-5:mad::lips:
Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

fuzzywuzzy;1128283 wrote: Mildura will be 46c tomorrow, we got to 48 last week for a short period .

Anyway here are the official warnings

Victoria

Heatwave return puts Victoria in its worst danger ever | Herald Sun

South Australia

Heatwave set to return | The Australian

New south Wales

Hot, windy weekend has NSW crews on edge

Queensland

Australian sugar farmers wait for floods to recede | Reuters

OMG................how are you people surviving there in the heat? Here in Winnipeg if it reaches 30 C we are sick.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Scientists predicted several years ago, that the Australian continent would be the first country to be severely and obviously effected by climate change, due to its already fragile and unique ecosystem and the nature of it already harsh and extreme climate.

In the same way that a miner's canary was an indicator that something is wrong, its predicted that one of the earliest signs that climate change is entering a new and deadlier phase would be the destabililzation of the Australian continent's climate and its ecosystem. The basic assessment being that if current trends continue, then some parts of Australia that are currently habitable may not be habitable in 50 years time.

Saying that, what has happened to Australia in recent years may be simply the result of normal fluctuations in climate and the always unpredictable weather; I sincerely hope this is the case. However, I think that the world should be looking carefully at what is happening in Australia and whether a pattern is developing there, as it may be an indicator of things to come for the rest of us.

In any case, you guys look after yourself, I'm sorry to hear that things are so bad over there at present.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Nah 30 something is normal ...it's the 40 plus that get ya. Power goes, so therefore public transport, airconditioning, traffic lights etc.

Australia is running out of water as well after an 8 year long drought. It's a tinder box out there at the moment.

Up at Boolarra they ran out of water to fight the fires .........when I say we're in the s'hit? I mean it. We dont' have enough water available to fight any fires in my area. God help anyone in the more remote areas.

The specific problem for my State is the drought we've had. Usually there is moisture in the larger trees but the drought has even dried them out.

There was a B.O.M spokesman on the radio yesterday and she said she was shaking during their briefing because this is going to be bad. If the meteorologists are shaking we're in deep. Maybe we'll get over tomorrow but we've got all of Feburary and March to get through yet.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Our news here in the States showed film of your flooding. They said you needed to watch out for snakes as well as gators. That's a triple whammy you have to contend with. My heart goes out to all of you.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Odie

Post by Odie »

We constantly hear on the news just how bad it is there and I keep thinking of all my Aussie friends here and the ones that have lost their lives in this severe heat-wave.

I pray for everyone that this will end soon, I know its easier said than done to say try and keep cool, for some do not have air conditioning or even fans, not that fans would help, as they now only blow hot air around.

-and for all the animals that are losing their lives do to lack of water.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

take care of yourselves the best way you know how!:-4
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Galbally;1128297 wrote:

Saying that, what has happened to Australia in recent years may be simply the result of normal fluctuations in climate and the always unpredictable weather; I sincerely hope this is the case. However, I think that the world should be looking carefully at what is happening in Australia and whether a pattern is developing there, as it may be an indicator of things to come for the rest of us.

In any case, you guys look after yourself, I'm sorry to hear that things are so bad over there at present.

I think your last paragraph is more the truth . Australia's climate is severe but it is cyclic. Every twenty or so years we have this Bush fire situation and the drought as it stands happened at the turn of the last century also. .......problem is we forget. Then someone gets out their grandfathers weather records from a century and half ago and it all makes sense.

We're ready and every one knows (and hopefully) has their fire plan ready . My children have their "fire" bag packed and if i'm called away they are to go to the boat ramp and stay there until someone comes to collect them. They're pretty switched on but both their parents are going to be busy.......good time to understand self resilience. My children didn't experience Ash wednesday so they are going in green ...they wont' be afterwards if the **** hits the fan . But I suppose it's like those who live in tornadoe areas, your children have to learn sometime.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Cripes. I hadn't realised it had got so bad.

Best of luck to all of you. Hope you don't need it.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Ally

Post by Ally »

fuzzywuzzy;1128309 wrote: I think your last paragraph is more the truth . Australia's climate is severe but it is cyclic. Every twenty or so years we have this Bush fire situation and the drought as it stands happened at the turn of the last century also. .......problem is we forget. Then someone gets out their grandfathers weather records from a century and half ago and it all makes sense.

We're ready and every one knows (and hopefully) has their fire plan ready . My children have their "fire" bag packed and if i'm called away they are to go to the boat ramp and stay there until someone comes to collect them. They're pretty switched on but both their parents are going to be busy.......good time to understand self resilience. My children didn't experience Ash wednesday so they are going in green ...they wont' be afterwards if the **** hits the fan . But I suppose it's like those who live in tornadoe areas, your children have to learn sometime.
Your right there fuzzy we do forget, justsaw the other day some program about weather in Oz quite some time ago that it was hotter then than it is now so it dose fluctuate quite a bit.Bit of old Bango Paterson i love a sunburnt country of drouts and flooding plains................sums it up nicely.Still the best country in the world.:-6:-6:-6:-6
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Nah it wasn't Banjo, I think this was written to the realisation that we weren't living in England anymore. but it is a most beautiful poem and sums our land up very nicely.

Dorothea MacKellar (1908: written 1906)

The love of field and coppice,

Of green and shaded Lanes,

Of ordered woods and gardens,

Is running in your veins;

Strong love of grey-blue distance,

Brown streams and soft, dim skies -

I know but cannot share it,

My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of drought and flooding rains,

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel sea,

Her beauty and her terror -

The wide brown land for me.

The tragic ring-barked forests

Stark white beneath the moon,

The sapphire-misted mountains,

The hot gold hush of noon.

Green tangle of the brushes

Where lithe lianas coil,

An orchids deck the tree-tops

And ferns the crimson soil.

Core of my heart, my country!

Her pitiless blue sky,

When sick at heart around us

We see the cattle die -

But then the grey clouds gather

And we can bless again

The drumming of an army,

The steady, soaking rain.

Land of the Rainbow Gold,

For flood and fire and famine,

She pays us back threefold;

Over the thirsty paddocks,

Watch, after many days,

The filmy veil of greenness

That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,

A wilful, lavish land -

All you who have not loved her,

You will not understand -

Though Earth holds many splendours,

Wherever I may die,

I know to what brown Country

My homing thoughts will fly.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Extreme heat conditions are expected to worsen in the southeast

Article from: The Australian

VICTORIA could be facing its worst-ever weekend of fire danger, with the heatwave over Australia's southeast expected to deliver conditions more extreme than those that led to the deadly Ash Wednesday fires of 1983.

A total fire ban will be in force over the state today, with firefighters fearing a repeat of the historic blaze that killed 75 people.

Firefighters in South Australia and NSW will also be poised to act, with extreme fire danger predicted in both states.

The chief officer of Victoria's Country Fire Authority gave an ominous warning yesterday, saying predicted temperatures in the mid-40s and high winds could produce the worst conditions in the state's history.

"I think we're in a period of unprecedented weather -- weather that perhaps we have never had in the state of Victoria in respect of fire danger," chief officer Russell Rees said. "I make this plea to everybody in our community. We need to plan, to be ready, and to put every ounce of our effort into staying safe."

Melbourne's forecast of 43C tomorrow could see another weather record fall, with 43.2C the previous highest February temperature recorded in 1983.

Adelaide is set for another round of punishment, with 43C forecast for today and 41C tomorrow. Adelaide's State Emergency Service chief officer, Stuart Macleod, warned that the next two days would be critical as temperatures rose again after a short period of relief from a run of days above 40C in which a record 600 people were admitted to hospital with heat-related illnesses.

During the peak of Adelaide's nine-day hot spell, the city recorded six days over 40C, including a maximum of 45.7C on January 28.

Sydney is bracing for its turn to be roasted. Airconditioning businesses in the city are struggling to keep up with demand as customers order last-minute installations in the face of a weekend of temperatures in the 40s.

now this is to hot!
Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

fuzzywuzzy;1128437 wrote: Nah it wasn't Banjo, I think this was written to the realisation that we weren't living in England anymore. but it is a most beautiful poem and sums our land up very nicely.

Dorothea MacKellar (1908: written 1906)

The love of field and coppice,

Of green and shaded Lanes,

Of ordered woods and gardens,

Is running in your veins;

Strong love of grey-blue distance,

Brown streams and soft, dim skies -

I know but cannot share it,

My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of drought and flooding rains,

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel sea,

Her beauty and her terror -

The wide brown land for me.

The tragic ring-barked forests

Stark white beneath the moon,

The sapphire-misted mountains,

The hot gold hush of noon.

Green tangle of the brushes

Where lithe lianas coil,

An orchids deck the tree-tops

And ferns the crimson soil.

Her pitiless blue sky,

When sick at heart around us

We see the cattle die -

But then the grey clouds gather

And we can bless again

The drumming of an army,

The steady, soaking rain.

Land of the Rainbow Gold,

For flood and fire and famine,

She pays us back threefold;

Over the thirsty paddocks,

Watch, after many days,

The filmy veil of greenness

That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,

A wilful, lavish land -

All you who have not loved her,

You will not understand -

Though Earth holds many splendours,

Wherever I may die,

I know to what brown Country

My homing thoughts will fly.

Thanks for typing this out fuzzy, it certainly is a beautiful poem
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Odie;1128442 wrote: Extreme heat conditions are expected to worsen in the southeast

During the peak of Adelaide's nine-day hot spell, the city recorded six days over 40C, including a maximum of 45.7C on January 28.

Sydney is bracing for its turn to be roasted. Airconditioning businesses in the city are struggling to keep up with demand as customers order last-minute installations in the face of a weekend of temperatures in the 40s.

now this is to hot!

114 F. is unbearable anywhere. I've been to Sydney but the weather was perfect..spring there then. Hope you all can stay cool and don't forget your pets, they suffer as well.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Yeah I was talking to one of the mums at the school this morning and she said she had to bring her dog inside and throw buckets of water over her goats, I'm worried about our rabbit. I've been told to put a frozen bottle of water in the hutch so he can lay over it.

See the problem is we prepare for these 43's and 45's but that's only Melbourne once you get out a bit further it's hotter. like I said before it was 46 to 48 out on our back verandar the other week. We have a weather station so I know it was accurate. and the next town on got even higher. shockin stuff, so it doesn't surprise me of the deaths in SA.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

OK, you are fine then. If you know others that don't have air-conditioning give them a tip for me please.

As you know Kayle the glands in the body can't become too overheated. Children and the elderly are particularly vulnerable to heat stroke which can prove deadly. The glands cannot become too overheated.

Tell whoever when they get up in the morning to fill the bath tub with lukewarm water, not cold water and no oil or whatever, just plain lukewarm water. Then just leave the water to come to room temp. When the person gets too hot they can get into the tub until their body cools down. The water will feel like ice at first but it is an indication of how hot the body has become. When he/she starts to feel cold then they can get out and dry off. But they aren't to use soap etc because it isn't to be used as bath water, just cooling down water. Tell him/her to leave the water in the tub at room temp and use it throughout the day. Before bedtime they can use it once more then drain the water and immediately refill it again with luke warm water. Should they need it throughout the night the water will once again be room temp. Tell whoever also that when getting into the tub that they must submerge as much of their body and head in the water (leaving the face out of course). This is very important that they get the cool water on their head and the back of their neck, the arm pits and the groin.

For those that are out working they can fill the tub in the morning and use it when they get home. Not everyone works in air-conditioned offices.

I really wish that I could help you all in some way Kayle, but this is the most I can do. For those that listen to you it will save them from heat stroke and in some cases death. Perhaps you can phone your friends and pass the message to them because they may have elderly friends or relatives that will listen.

Thanks Kayle.

Local Time: 11:52 PM

Local Date: 02-05-2009

Amber put this in the focer thread and thought it might be a good idea to put it on here:D Thanks to Amber for the information:D:-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

hhhmmm just got the call I'm on first strike team tomorrow if things go pearshaped. Bugger. Wouldn't have minded the nightshift but beggers cant be chooses. Better get ready . Kayle,keep that little girl cool, pammy stay cool . Ally I want your weather minus the cyclones.:wah: I'll catch up with ya's when I get back.

cheers guys
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

fuzzywuzzy;1128506 wrote: hhhmmm just got the call I'm on first strike team tomorrow if things go pearshaped. Bugger. Wouldn't have minded the nightshift but beggers cant be chooses. Better get ready . Kayle,keep that little girl cool, pammy stay cool . Ally I want your weather minus the cyclones.:wah: I'll catch up with ya's when I get back.

cheers guys

you look after yourself Fuzz :-4:-4 and thanks for the hard work you do your one in a million:-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
Ally

Post by Ally »

fuzzywuzzy;1128506 wrote: hhhmmm just got the call I'm on first strike team tomorrow if things go pearshaped. Bugger. Wouldn't have minded the nightshift but beggers cant be chooses. Better get ready . Kayle,keep that little girl cool, pammy stay cool . Ally I want your weather minus the cyclones.:wah: I'll catch up with ya's when I get back.

cheers guys

Take care Fuzzy will be thinking of u and wishing u well out there we couldnt do without u guys from the heart.:-4:-4 We dont got floods here Fuzzy thats in Queensland.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Keep up the good work, Fuzzy. And take care.. You too, Kaylene, MrsK, Ally. It's not so bad here on the coast in Sydney. Hot but there is usually a bit of breeze. In the Western suburbs and the mountains it's scary. Tomorrow we're heading inland to Goulburn. Will need to be very careful there. Hugs to you all.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Ally

Post by Ally »

AussiePam;1128517 wrote: Keep up the good work, Fuzzy. And take care.. You too, Kaylene, MrsK, Ally. It's not so bad here on the coast in Sydney. Hot but there is usually a bit of breeze. In the Western suburbs and the mountains it's scary. Tomorrow we're heading inland to Goulburn. Will need to be very careful there. Hugs to you all.

Ta Pam hope all goes well,we are a bit milder here today but heating up again next week my thoughts are with everyone in the awful heat take care all.:-6
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

AussiePam;1128517 wrote: Keep up the good work, Fuzzy. And take care.. You too, Kaylene, MrsK, Ally. It's not so bad here on the coast in Sydney. Hot but there is usually a bit of breeze. In the Western suburbs and the mountains it's scary. Tomorrow we're heading inland to Goulburn. Will need to be very careful there. Hugs to you all.

hi Pam take care over the weekend :-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Hello All:-6:-6:-6:-6

Notice the suns;)

It is still 36.c here & it is 9pm.

Stay safe & try to stay cool,Ally,AP,mrsk2 & Fuzzy.

45.c predicted for us tomorrow:-5.

I have just finished all my house work so I can do very little tomorrow.

It is going to be bad.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Keep safe Fuzzy:-4

Fires to follow floods as wild weather hits Australia

3 hours ago

SYDNEY (AFP) — Eastern Australia braced for more fires and floods Friday as the south faced extreme heat and heavy rain threatened to swell floodwaters ravaging the north.

A once-in-a-century heatwave was forecast to intensify over the weekend with high temperatures and dry winds producing the worst wildfire conditions in 25 years, authorities said.

"We're talking about fire danger that hasn't been seen since Ash Wednesday coming up on Saturday," said Ron Patterson, an environment department spokesman from Victoria state.

The mercury is expected to top 44 degrees in Sydney, Australia's largest city, on Sunday, with temperatures in excess of 46 degrees forecast for inland areas.

Much of the southeast has sweltered under record temperatures this summer, with wildfires destroying at least 29 homes last week and dozens of mainly elderly people dying of heat-related stress.

The temperature in the South Australian capital Adelaide soared to above 42 degrees on Friday and authorities warned of worse to come.

"The fire danger forecast for Saturday may be as extreme as we've seen in South Australia for a number of years," said fire service spokesman Euan Ferguson.

A 120-hectare blaze was Friday threatening to break containment lines and threaten property in Victoria's Gippsland region, with the state's premier John Brumby describing conditions as "tinder-dry".

Almost 40 separate fires raged in the neighbouring state of New South Wales, where 70,000 volunteer firefighters will be on standby throughout the weekend.

Adding to the fear is the knowledge that many of Australia's wildfires are lit by arsonists.

Police are hunting fire starters believed to have sparked last week's fire that destroyed nearly 30 homes in Victoria state.

The government's Australian Institute of Criminology released a report on Sunday which said half of the nation's 20,000 to 30,000 bushfires each year are deliberately lit.

But in the northeast, floodwaters have devastated more than one million square kilometres (385,000 square miles), inundating homes, destroying at least a fifth of the region's sugar cane fields and stranding tens of thousands of cattle.

"There are cattle suffering pretty seriously," said Cattle Council of Australia president Greg Brown.

"There is some mortality rate, just how great that is at this stage is pretty hard to tell, but it's going to be, I think, substantial."

Farmers unable to move produce due to the floods were facing millions of dollars in losses, while the army was preparing to drop food into some towns that have been cut off for up to a week.

The deluge, which followed two recent cyclones, hit almost 3,000 homes, forcing dozens of evacuations and leaving scores of people stranded.

Some towns in the Gulf of Carpentaria region could remain inaccessible by road for another six weeks, authorities have warned.

Further heavy rains are expected, as a tropical low hovers off the coast, the weather bureau said.

Meteorologists have warned the extreme temperatures and downpours -- a common feature of Australian summers -- would only increase as a result of climate change.

The flooded Ingham area between Cairns and townsville in north Queensland

Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

Chezzie;1128604 wrote: Keep safe Fuzzy:-4

Fires to follow floods as wild weather hits Australia

3 hours ago

SYDNEY (AFP) — Eastern Australia braced for more fires and floods Friday as the south faced extreme heat and heavy rain threatened to swell floodwaters ravaging the north.

A once-in-a-century heatwave was forecast to intensify over the weekend with high temperatures and dry winds producing the worst wildfire conditions in 25 years, authorities said.

"We're talking about fire danger that hasn't been seen since Ash Wednesday coming up on Saturday," said Ron Patterson, an environment department spokesman from Victoria state.

The mercury is expected to top 44 degrees in Sydney, Australia's largest city, on Sunday, with temperatures in excess of 46 degrees forecast for inland areas.

Much of the southeast has sweltered under record temperatures this summer, with wildfires destroying at least 29 homes last week and dozens of mainly elderly people dying of heat-related stress.

The temperature in the South Australian capital Adelaide soared to above 42 degrees on Friday and authorities warned of worse to come.

"The fire danger forecast for Saturday may be as extreme as we've seen in South Australia for a number of years," said fire service spokesman Euan Ferguson.

A 120-hectare blaze was Friday threatening to break containment lines and threaten property in Victoria's Gippsland region, with the state's premier John Brumby describing conditions as "tinder-dry".

Almost 40 separate fires raged in the neighbouring state of New South Wales, where 70,000 volunteer firefighters will be on standby throughout the weekend.

Adding to the fear is the knowledge that many of Australia's wildfires are lit by arsonists.

Police are hunting fire starters believed to have sparked last week's fire that destroyed nearly 30 homes in Victoria state.

The government's Australian Institute of Criminology released a report on Sunday which said half of the nation's 20,000 to 30,000 bushfires each year are deliberately lit.

But in the northeast, floodwaters have devastated more than one million square kilometres (385,000 square miles), inundating homes, destroying at least a fifth of the region's sugar cane fields and stranding tens of thousands of cattle.

"There are cattle suffering pretty seriously," said Cattle Council of Australia president Greg Brown.

"There is some mortality rate, just how great that is at this stage is pretty hard to tell, but it's going to be, I think, substantial."

Farmers unable to move produce due to the floods were facing millions of dollars in losses, while the army was preparing to drop food into some towns that have been cut off for up to a week.

The deluge, which followed two recent cyclones, hit almost 3,000 homes, forcing dozens of evacuations and leaving scores of people stranded.

Some towns in the Gulf of Carpentaria region could remain inaccessible by road for another six weeks, authorities have warned.

Further heavy rains are expected, as a tropical low hovers off the coast, the weather bureau said.

Meteorologists have warned the extreme temperatures and downpours -- a common feature of Australian summers -- would only increase as a result of climate change.

OMG Chezzi........I can't even imagine this kind of heat. I told my niece and daughter about what's happening there and they just went silent for a moment, it's beyond our comprehension. I think I'd rather have our few months of -20 to -40.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Saturday dawn over Sydney harbour - and there is a peculiar pale pinkish yellow glow, a bit smoky. My daughter (just returned from icy France) is intending to go jogging this morning - maybe she should do it early. Her European whiteness has already vanished. I'm going to get work done early too, then maybe we can get a dip in the sea before driving to Canberra this afternoon. Man it's going to be hot and dry there.

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

7 am here pammy and the sky is orange. It's in the 20's at the moment in ACT.

If anyone would like to keep up to date with the weather here's a link that updates every hour, just pic the state you want to know about.

Victorian current weather, temperature, wind and rainfall

Good god Mildura is already 29 . Take care pammy you may want to head off early I think :-3
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

TODAY'S horror fire weather has the potential to kill and Victorians should be on alert for arsonists, Premier John Brumby has warned.

Searing temperatures and strong wind are expected to present some of the worst bushfire conditions in state history, like those seen in 1983 when 75 people died in the Ash Wednesday fires.

"It's the sort of day when a fire that gets away won't just damage property, it may well cost lives, as Black Friday and Ash Wednesday have done before," Mr Brumby said.

"So I don't exaggerate when I say we need to be on alert."

The warning comes as it has been revealed the state is struggling to cope with the deaths linked to last week's heatwave.

Funerals and coronial investigations have been thrown into turmoil because forensic investigators cannot keep up with the number of bodies sent to the state's mortuary.

Sources within Victoria's Coronial Services Centre have told the Herald Sun families face waits of more than 10 days for bodies to be returned after autopsies, delaying funerals and adding to their grief.

They said the state's mortuary can cope with about 100 bodies, but there are closer to 130 waiting for autopsies by just 10 pathologists.

State Coroner judge Jennifer Coate yesterday refused to disclose the extent of the backlog, or the number of deaths. But she admitted the service was forced to send bodies to funeral parlours and hospitals for storage.

Deaths reported for investigation rose with each day of last week's heatwave, hitting a high of 50 on Saturday after Melbourne's maximum 45.1C on Friday.

"We have had an unprecedented demand on our services, all of our facilities, including the mortuary, in the wake of the extreme heat," Judge Coate said.

After deliberately lit bushfires destroyed 30 homes last week, authorities have urged all Victorians to be on alert.

Temperatures are expected to top 44C in Melbourne and 46 in Mildura with a total fire ban across the state. Galeforce northwesterly winds up to 100km/h are also forecast.

Emergency services urged people to avoid travelling to fire-prone areas.

These include coastal strips such as the Mornington Peninsula, Great Ocean Rd and the Otways; mountain areas such as the High Country, Dandenongs and Yarra Ranges; and forested areas such as Macedon Ranges.

"Fires start every day and they will start tomorrow so we will need resources that are good enough in the right places," Country Fire Authority deputy chief officer Greg Esnouf said yesterday.

All bushfires burning around Victoria were contained late yesterday but it would take a "lot of effort" to stop a 123ha blaze in Bunyip State Park, southeast of Melbourne, from breaking control lines and threatening nearby small towns.

The Delburn fire, which burnt 6400ha and destroyed 30 houses last week, was contained "at the moment" but a lot of crews were there to stop it burning out of control again, Mr Esnouf said.

Take cover as heat returns | Herald Sun

Excuse the french but 100km winds? OH SH'IT !!!!!!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I was a the Boolarra fires (delburn complex fires) last Saturday. Crews have spent all week mopping it up. They left our crews till the last minute because had the fire taken a turn it would have headed straight for us so we needed people on the ground down here. I don't know whether I'll be protecting my own town or whether I'll be across the state. But any matter it's not going to be a good day.

These are Victoria's and NSW's up to date incident reports

Statewide Current Incident Summary - Country Fire Authority

Current Incidents in NSW - NSW Rural Fire Service
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

The haze over Sydney IS bushfire smoke. GEESCH. My daughter has decided not to go jogging. Wish we could drive to Canberra now, but him indoors has meetings here till mid afternoon. The car has air conditioning, thank goodness.

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Ha it's funny I went for a late night walk with the boys last night and told them to breathe in deep the clean air because they will be breathing in smoke for a few days after today :wah:

We had the hot day last friday I think (it's all a blur now) and people were jogging in the heat of the day around the Melbourne gardens , ............WHY?:-2
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

It is already 30.7c. here.Time is 8.06am

Hope every one stays as cool as possible:-6

Drink lots of water & stay safe:-6
Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1128903 wrote: The haze over Sydney IS bushfire smoke. GEESCH. My daughter has decided not to go jogging. Wish we could drive to Canberra now, but him indoors has meetings here till mid afternoon. The car has air conditioning, thank goodness.

no jogging in that weather babe, we don't run nor job here in our summers, and we only reach high 30's.....bad for the heart, lungs and entire body.

we have air in our home and cars here to, you need it.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

40 in parts of Melbourne at 11 am

just came back from my sons cricket game, anyone who plays this afternoon though has rocks in their heads
Ally

Post by Ally »

tHINKING OF U ALL IN THE EAST,WE ARE QUITE MILD AT THE MO HOPE IT KEEPS UP.wINDY BUT PLEASENT.tAKE CARE EVERYONE.:-4:-4
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Ally;1129261 wrote: tHINKING OF U ALL IN THE EAST,WE ARE QUITE MILD AT THE MO HOPE IT KEEPS UP.wINDY BUT PLEASENT.tAKE CARE EVERYONE.:-4:-4

41 here:sneaky:
FOC THREAD PART 1
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

kayleneaussie;1129297 wrote: 41 here:sneaky:

Cool change eh?;):yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

mrsK;1129298 wrote: Cool change eh?;):yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
FOC THREAD PART 1
Odie

Post by Odie »

kayleneaussie;1129297 wrote: 41 here:sneaky:

that is just way to hot!:-5
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Odie;1129319 wrote: that is just way to hot!:-5

42 now
FOC THREAD PART 1
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Reports of a fire up around Peats Ridge area to the North of Sydney.

Just heard that the Singleton fire is out of control again. They have had to pull the guys out and use aircraft for firefighting. This is not good news for the locals. From the news the smoke is very thick too.
Ally

Post by Ally »

mrsk;1129326 wrote: reports of a fire up around peats ridge area to the north of sydney.

Just heard that the singleton fire is out of control again. They have had to pull the guys out and use aircraft for firefighting. This is not good news for the locals. From the news the smoke is very thick too.

omg thats not good news at all those poor men must be exhausted.oh kay 42 hope ur air con is at full blast.:-6
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Ally;1129332 wrote: omg thats not good news at all those poor men must be exhausted.oh kay 42 hope ur air con is at full blast.:-6

sure is :sneaky:
FOC THREAD PART 1
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

kayleneaussie;1129334 wrote: sure is :sneaky:

Same here:-5

It is 41.c under my verandah:-6:-6:-6

You are my sunshine my only sunshine

mmmmm mmmm
Ally

Post by Ally »

mrsK;1129339 wrote: Same here:-5

It is 41.c under my verandah:-6:-6:-6

You are my sunshine my only sunshine

mmmmm mmmm

ALLY HAS FAN BLOWING ON KAY AND MRSK,WHY ARE U UNDER UR VERANDAH MRSK:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:thinking::confused:
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Ally;1129355 wrote: ALLY HAS FAN BLOWING ON KAY AND MRSK,WHY ARE U UNDER UR VERANDAH MRSK:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:thinking::confused:
Cause it is to hot on top of it;):yh_rotfl

I went for a swim at our daughters house & the water was hot as well.

I now have our granddaught & grandson here.

The wiggles are on & I will probably have to dance soon
Odie

Post by Odie »

Ally;1129332 wrote: omg thats not good news at all those poor men must be exhausted.oh kay 42 hope ur air con is at full blast.:-6

can you imagine this?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

umm guys i'm okay I just got in snf brgin sgsin tommorow morning.

i had no idea that people were dead. Apparently it's worse then ash wednesday and what your seeing on your tv's is exactly what I've just come back from .

And i'm not ashamed to say today has been the scariest day of my life. One of the senior crew members came up to me and said that most people have not seen this many fires in there whole career, i got to see it in one shift.

the fires are 1 km from my woodside house on two fronts. thank god we were relieved. the dogs are fine and the kids are spending the night at the police station cause there dad was called back on duty . just watching the news now to catch up.

Its horrible it's just simply horrible. I've watched houses burn and could do nothing ....but we did save one i hope it holds.

the wind has blown up again no sleep tonight . It's hard to tell someone who only wants info that they should just leave.

Return to “Australia”