Depersonalization

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
rainbowsmiles

Depersonalization

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Has anyone out there ever suffered an attack of depersonalization? It is rare and usually follows a major panic attack. I'm just curious cause it has happened to me and it would be nice to find someone to discuss it with!
Accountable

Depersonalization

Post by Accountable »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Has anyone out there ever suffered an attack of depersonalization? It is rare and usually follows a major panic attack. I'm just curious cause it has happened to me and it would be nice to find someone to discuss it with!
If it's not too touchy to talk about, what exactly is depersonalization? I haven't heard of it.
Peg

Depersonalization

Post by Peg »

Here's what I found:

According to DSM-IV, Depersonalization Disorder, in part, constitutes the following:

... a feeling of detachment or estrangement from one's self . The individual may feel like an automaton or as if he or she is living in a dream or a movie. There may be a sensation of being an outside observer of one's metal processes, one's body, or parts of one's body.

... Various types of sensory anesthesia, lack of affective response, and a sensation of lacking control of one's actions, including speech, are often present. The individual with Depersonalization Disorder maintains intact reality testing (e.g., awareness that it is only a feeling and that he or she is not really an automaton) . Depersonalization is a common experience, and this diagnosis should be made only if the symptoms are sufficiently severe to cause marked distress or impairment in functioning).

In addition to DSM-IV, another vital diagnostic tool, Merck's Manual, describes depersonalization clearly:

Persistent or recurrent feelings of being detached from one's body or mental processes and usually a feeling of being an outside observer of one's life.

Depersonalization is the third most common psychiatric symptom and frequently occurs in life-threatening danger, such as accidents, assaults, and serious illnesses and injuries; it can occur as a symptom in many other psychiatric disorders and in seizure disorders. As a separate disorder, depersonalization has not been studied widely, and its incidence and cause are unknown.2

There's a website with forums dealing with this. http://www.depersonalization.info/main.html

You may want to check it out rainbowsmiles and good luck to you.
rainbowsmiles

Depersonalization

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Mine was much more severe. There was no getting back to reality for me until they found the right medication. I found a group of people who suffer from it and all are looking for a way out! But most of them suffer from it after using LSD or marajuana... that wasn't the case for me! I wonder why it happens :confused:
rainbowsmiles

Depersonalization

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Are you all better now or does it still creep up on you?

Thanks Peg, I appreciate the link! I will check it out!
Nomad

Depersonalization

Post by Nomad »

I have experienced this but infrequently, I didnt realize it was a condition. I think its happened when I was upset and for me perhaps its a triggered defense mechanism....not sure, but the mind has many ways of distracting your person and this might be one of them ???
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Depersonalization

Post by Nomad »

Question for those who seem to know something about this.

My brother in law....I love him but can hardly be around him. If we golf he walks 5 steps ahead of me. If I ask him a question its 50/50 that Ill get an answer. Hes out there dreaming and isnt connected at all. Hes brilliant at work but in personal situations its like a black veil hanging over him.

Could this be his condition ?

Are there specific symtoms ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Depersonalization

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I suppose it is possible. I had bouts of "zoning" but I would hear if people were speaking to me and I would respond. What other things does he do. With Depersonalization there is so much involved. It feels like your unreal and standing outside of yourself. If that makes any sense. Somethings make it worse, like poor lighting, travel, etc... I know the feelings are different for everyone but there are a few common things like "reality testing" and "feeling emotionless" - I wish I could be of more help!
Nomad

Depersonalization

Post by Nomad »

Emotionless is not healthy but other than that is it detrimental to you ?

Does it deter you from your life ?

Im not sure I can portray correctly what Im thinking here but is it possible this is spiritually connected in some way ? That combined with your mind trying to reason and cope with the unusual experience ?

Kind of a halfway point between our present and another reality or perception of something you cant quite grasp ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Depersonalization

Post by rainbowsmiles »

That is exactly what it is like. As if somehow our minds (those who suffer from depersonalization) have somehow transcended or something. I liken it to the way some Buddhist describe enlightenment. It is very similar. Several people I've read about have a religious or God undertone to their depersonalization experience (including me). It made me think of things I had never imagined before.

It is detrimental because it causes people to commit suicide (those who have suffered long term), it destroys relationships, and it puts people into a perpetual state of anxiety. It is difficult to walk around feeling detached from the rest of the world :(
Nomad

Depersonalization

Post by Nomad »

Are you able to maintain personal relationships ?

In the conditions research has the spiritual aspect of depersonalization been studied to any extent ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Depersonalization

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I am not suffering with depersonalization at this point. I had an experience with it a while back. It lasted maybe 6 months (severe) and then about another 6 months (mild). But now I'm fine :)

In the conditions research has the spiritual aspect of depersonalization been studied to any extent ?

What I found here in the U.S. is that Depersonalization is sort of like Post Partum Depression or PMS... it isn't taken that seriously. Its one of those things that most psychiatrists don't even consider a problem in and of itself. Personally, I think it is because they don't KNOW anything about it so they tend to leave it off of any diagnosis. I found most research on it has been done in the UK. When I searched for others who had experienced it the only place I could find information or research was on UK websites. I self-diagnosed using the DSM. Then I mentioned it to my psychiatrist and he just said "depersonalization" is secondary to ANXIETY disorders, which I apprently have so... But he couldn't give me more details on it.

I don't think the spiritual aspect has been studied because they don't take it seriously enough. Probably because it is so rare. It isn't like depression, bipolar disorders, panic disorders, etc...

I hope that made sense.
glpride

Depersonalization

Post by glpride »

I am not sure, but was wondering if depersonalization is the same thing as disassociation. I use to have that pretty severe. I am a lot better, but it was scary. I'd be driving and arrive somewhere --making turns, etc. -- and don't remember any of it. I would be in a group of people and they would be talking and I could hear them, but it was like I was a total zombie. I would just stare into the thin air and could not talk, move....nothing.

I know this was how I dealt with being sexually abused as a kid. It took a lot of hard work, hospitals and drugs; but I am much better. For anyone suffering, I hope they will come to terms with the thought of hope in overcoming "habits of cause".

I am new here, so I hope i have not overstepped any boundaries, just wanted to share.

glpride
theia

Depersonalization

Post by theia »

glpride wrote: I am not sure, but was wondering if depersonalization is the same thing as disassociation. I use to have that pretty severe. I am a lot better, but it was scary. I'd be driving and arrive somewhere --making turns, etc. -- and don't remember any of it. I would be in a group of people and they would be talking and I could hear them, but it was like I was a total zombie. I would just stare into the thin air and could not talk, move....nothing.

I know this was how I dealt with being sexually abused as a kid. It took a lot of hard work, hospitals and drugs; but I am much better. For anyone suffering, I hope they will come to terms with the thought of hope in overcoming "habits of cause".

I am new here, so I hope i have not overstepped any boundaries, just wanted to share.

glpride

Hello glpride. You must have had/have a lot of courage.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Nomad

Depersonalization

Post by Nomad »

Like they say....what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

You have overstepped nothing, personally I like it when people get right to the point.

Weve ALL had our struggles, its how you cope that determines your character.

WELL DONE ! :-6
I AM AWESOME MAN
Hang Man

Depersonalization

Post by Hang Man »

Dammit that was my life 14-17 I knew I was screwed in the mind! Ha!

Seriosly I dont think I have ever heard a more accurate description of my High School years. I should have knew something was wrong when dropping out was a proud day for me.
rainbowsmiles

Depersonalization

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Dissociation and Depersonalization do seem a bit similar and are listed in conjuction with one another in the DSM III but they are different. I was always aware of my surroundings.

Thanks for sharing glpride. I'm happy to hear you are much better! :)
glpride

Depersonalization

Post by glpride »

I am glad to hear you are also doing better Rainbow. I have found it is a daily effort to stay well or not go back over the edge.

I am fortunate to have a wonderful doctor as well and hoping that being able to identify with others in a similar position, will be encouraging on those bad days.

I am looking forward to having a place to come and listen, talk, give or get help. I do not leave the house any more than I absolutely have to, and live in the middle of lots of farm animals!! (They can really be good conversationalists at times. lol)

Anyway, Peace To All
rainbowsmiles

Depersonalization

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I am fortunate to have a wonderful doctor as well and hoping that being able to identify with others in a similar position, will be encouraging on those bad days.

I find this to be the absolute truth as well! Nothing is more debilitating and scarey than feeling like we are alone in our struggles. When I find people who can identify with what I've gone through it is definitely life-saving and uplifting in many ways!
charlene33

Depersonalization

Post by charlene33 »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Has anyone out there ever suffered an attack of depersonalization? It is rare and usually follows a major panic attack. I'm just curious cause it has happened to me and it would be nice to find someone to discuss it with!
i understand how u feel, it's like i'm not really here and i get lightheaded maybe even faint.

Return to “Mental Health”