International English

Share your best finds on the Internet.
spot

International English

Post by spot »

I know just how the anonymous Englishman feels.Monsieur Nerriere is a retired French businessman who one day in the course of his work made a fascinating observation.

In a meeting with colleagues from around the world, including an Englishman, a Korean and a Brazilian, he noticed that he and the other non-native English speakers were communicating in a form of English that was completely comprehensible to them, but which left the Englishman nonplussed.

He, Jean-Paul Nerriere, could talk to the Korean and the Brazilian in this neo-language, and they could understand each other perfectly.

But the Englishman was left out because his language was too subtle, too full of meaning that could not be grasped by the others.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | New lingua franca upsets French

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

International English

Post by K.Snyder »

Personally, I sympathise greatly with defenders of the French language. I think it is true that culturally the world will be diminished if one monolithic form of discourse squashes the rest. But then I am also a realist. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/f ... 844192.stm

How soon could anyone suggest English will be the lone language of the World?

Obviously, the course of technology and resources would play the most crucial role. For instance, if the World runs out of oil sooner rather than later then the English language wouldn't progress as rapidly.:thinking:

Return to “Links to the Fascinating”