Need some new authors!

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Sheryl

Need some new authors!

Post by Sheryl »

Who are your favorite authors? Have any great books to recommend? Any good historical fiction or nonfiction books you can recommend?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
spot

Need some new authors!

Post by spot »

Amazon.com: The Scramble for Africa: White Man's Conquest of the Dark Continent from 1876-1912: Thomas Pakenham: Books

Completely readable and followable even if you know little or nothing about the story to start with. How Africa was first explored by Europeans, then suddenly colonized, exploited and abandoned all within a single lifetime (the last two bits are skated through in an epilogue). It's a mesmerising book.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Sheryl

Need some new authors!

Post by Sheryl »

Will have to find it at Hastings or the library. My husband has banned me from Amazon for the time being. :o

my son
spot

Need some new authors!

Post by spot »

Sheryl;1081833 wrote: Will have to find it at Hastings or the library. My husband has banned me from Amazon for the time being. :o

The Scramble for Africa: White Man's Conquest of the Dark Continent from 1876 to 1912: Thomas Pakenham: 0394515765

$7.69 delivered.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
qsducks

Need some new authors!

Post by qsducks »

I have one just written by me. The Life of Ducky...Come and Join the Nest. True story. Haven't gotten a price on it yet. Quack
along-for-the-ride

Need some new authors!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Stephen King

Dean Koontz

Ken Follet

Just a few I can think of right now. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Fibonacci

Need some new authors!

Post by Fibonacci »

Check out Brad Thor....
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Carolly

Need some new authors!

Post by Carolly »

Martina Cole.....shes an Essex girl and one of the top sellers here at the mo....look her up Sheryl;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
spot

Need some new authors!

Post by spot »

I bet your library can lend you a copy of The Golden Bough by Sir James George Frazer and what's more, I bet you'd absolutely love reading it. It's the founding book on Anthropology and the man writes with such wit it's a delight to spend time with him.
Oscar Namechange

Need some new authors!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Not the Classic you would expect but i can thoroughly reccomend this book as an entertaining eye opener of Britain's most successfull rock band 'The Strangler's.

Written by 'Hugh Cornwell' the lead singer of the band from their arrival in the 70's to his quitting the band in the 90's, this self auto-biography tells all of Britain's most notorious and feared band ever.

'A Multitude of Sins' by Hugh Cornwell.

YouTube - The Stranglers - No More Heroes
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
swinglizrd

Need some new authors!

Post by swinglizrd »

Hi!

My favs are...

jaqueline Carey

Marion Zimmer Bradley

Anne Rice

Anne Bishop

all of them write some sort of fantasy type of novel.... if you want really great fun reads, check them out! :)
[FONT=Book Antiqua]Love as thou Wilt.

All knowledge is worth having.

Liz[/FONT]
sunny104

Need some new authors!

Post by sunny104 »

I LOVE the following authors:

Dean Koontz

Nora Roberts

Sandra Brown

Nelson DeMille

Vince Flynn

I can't think of anyone else right now, I'll come back if I do...:o
Sheryl

Need some new authors!

Post by Sheryl »

Thanks everyone! I have a nice little list of authors to look for if I ever make it back to the library. :D

my son
Bryn Mawr

Need some new authors!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Some of my recent fiction :-

David Brin

Edgar Pangbourn

Lloyd Biggles Jr

Raymond Feist

Fact :-

J E Lovelock

Eric Newby

Jarred Diamond (thanks Acc)

John Henry Newman

Peter Warlow
Chookie

Need some new authors!

Post by Chookie »

Historical fiction:

Alexandre Dumas

Nigel Tranter

Speculative fiction:

S M Stirling

Eric Flint

Fact:

Dee Brown (American / Indian History)

John Prebble (Scottish History)

Lord MacAulay (Roman History)
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Vaishali

Need some new authors!

Post by Vaishali »

Hey dear..

Do you know we have same hobbies. Just like you I am also fond of reading books. I have keen interest in knowing history. Because History teaches us many things. It lets us connect through the past. Anyways coming to your problem, I am suggesting you some interesting books which will be of great use for you. Some of these are "Second World War" by Antony Beevor, "Dividing Lines: Contours of India-China Conflict" by K.N. Raghavan, "Hello Bastar: The Untold Story Of Indias Maoist Movement" by Rahul Pandita, "Chinas Nightmare Americas Dream" by William H. Avery, etc. These are some very interesting which can be very beneficial for you. For more suggestions, you should consult with online book stores. It will save your time too. Let me know your reviews about these books!! :)

Return to “The Library”