Miles on Cars

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Miles on Cars

Post by cars »

The most "miles" driven on a new car I bought (Chrysler-Plymouth Horizon made in USA) was 137,400. With still all the original engine, standard transmission, & clutch. (clutch still did not slip at all after all those miles) Only things replaced were tires, breaks, & wiper blades. It still had the original "10" year old battery in it when I sold it for a new car. I knew the buyer, so I know the car was used trouble free (except for new battery) for 6 more years adding another 64,600 miles on it. Then car was sold for new car to an unknown person. So lost touch with it. How many miles on cars (and what kind) have others gotten? :driving:
Cars :)
gmc

Miles on Cars

Post by gmc »

Citroen BX diesel 140,000, brake discs and shoes every 30,000, suspension bushes every year as well, new radiator. Two clutches. Wouldn't buy another citroen if you paid me to (well I would if you gave me one)

Renault clio diesel 97,000 traded it in before the big bills started, suspension radiator etc.

second clio, drive shaft, suspension bushes, radiator drowned in flood at 87,000 just after I paid for all of that with the intention of keeping it another three years and 200,000 plus :-5

Believe it or not they don't upgrade the suspension to cope with the heavier engine, never occurred to me they wouldn't. Know several owners with the same issue, Have owned eight renaults all up to 100,000 would never buy another.

Wifes car nissan almera 70,000 no problems, current car another almera 55,000 so far no problems, will probably see how it lasts.

you do a low mileage I average 35,000 a year between business and leisure.

I find it's not the engine components but suspension faults that cost the money-meybe a cooment on the state of our roads.
lady cop

Miles on Cars

Post by lady cop »

i had a 20 year old jaguar XJ6 with over 200,000 miles on it...i loved that gorgeous car, :driving: (except for the Lucas electrics)....but i destroyed it in a three-time rollover in the rain. :-1
cars

Miles on Cars

Post by cars »

gmc wrote: Citroen BX diesel 140,000, brake discs and shoes every 30,000, suspension bushes every year as well, new radiator. Two clutches. Wouldn't buy another citroen if you paid me to (well I would if you gave me one)

Renault clio diesel 97,000 traded it in before the big bills started, suspension radiator etc.

second clio, drive shaft, suspension bushes, radiator drowned in flood at 87,000 just after I paid for all of that with the intention of keeping it another three years and 200,000 plus :-5

Believe it or not they don't upgrade the suspension to cope with the heavier engine, never occurred to me they wouldn't. Know several owners with the same issue, Have owned eight renaults all up to 100,000 would never buy another.

Wifes car nissan almera 70,000 no problems, current car another almera 55,000 so far no problems, will probably see how it lasts.

you do a low mileage I average 35,000 a year between business and leisure.

I find it's not the engine components but suspension faults that cost the money-meybe a cooment on the state of our roads.

Hi gmc, yes the roads are very good here in Connecticut- USA. In New York City, that's another story, they cause many suspension faults there. I had 2 Renaults, one was a Carivile, the other was a 4CV. The Carivile was new but I only had for 10 months, but the "4CV" was used (I should say "abused") that's the one with the sucide doors in front, they open and swing back. It also had a hand crank hole through the bumper to put hand crank to start engine if battery died. It did and I hand cranked engine over and it started. Anyway, my young son at that time was almost killed sitting in the front seat. We were driving on the highway at 54Mph (about as fast as car could go, it only had a I think a 18hp engine) and suddenly he just put his hand on the door lever and the door swung back almost dragging him out. But instinctivly I grabbed his other hand and pulled him back inside the car. Needless to say we both were shaken up, I had to pull the car over onto the grass shoulder for about 10 minutes and regain my composure.

As for mechnacally, the car was a total distaster with way to many problems to list here. At the end when going into the gas station, it was check the "Gas" & fill up the "Oil"! It got about 100 miles to a quart of oil!!!

Cars
gmc

Miles on Cars

Post by gmc »

posted by lady cop

i had a 20 year old jaguar XJ6 with over 200,000 miles on it...i loved that gorgeous car, (except for the Lucas electrics)....but i destroyed it in a three-time rollover in the rain.

I don't know about the US but here cars get to the point they cost more to keep on the road for a year than it is to finance a new one and at least know what you are likely to spend. I have an odd way of looking at it perhaps, because of the high annual mileage. Average here is 10,000 to 12,000.

cars, re cv4, my first two cars were a citroen dayne and a canary yellow cv6-as used in one of the james bond films, forget which one, but had the cv6 at tye same time, used to tell girls i drove the same kind of car as james bond. If they burst out laughing when they saw it I knew I ok. :D

The Dayne engine's big end went while going 80 going downhill on a motorway-think it was eighty the speedo was at the stop, The cv6 was slow enough cv4 must have taken forever to get anywhere. Used to like citroens and the oleomatic suspension hence the BX. Would still like one but my head stops me from buying one. boring but reliable is what i want.

The cv4 must have turned heads in the US, cv6 was eccentric enough here. Best to have a car that says I don't care what people think!
cars

Miles on Cars

Post by cars »

lady cop wrote: i had a 20 year old jaguar XJ6 with over 200,000 miles on it...i loved that gorgeous car, :driving: (except for the Lucas electrics)....but i destroyed it in a three-time rollover in the rain. :-1

Hi Lady Cop, I love the XJ6, it was a gorgeous car. I had a 1971 XKE rag top with 78,200 miles on it, that I loved. It was a great handling car, low and "fast"! But you are also right about the Lucas electrical system, it gave me continual trouble for as long as I owned it. Jaguar's used to be called the "Rack-Queen" here, the best looking cars on the repair rack. (and exceptionally expensive to repair) Anyway, at least only the car was destroyed in the rollover and not you. "3" times, wow you are lucky!!!

Bill Sikes

Miles on Cars

Post by Bill Sikes »

cars wrote: But you are also right about the Lucas electrical system, it gave me continual trouble for as long as I owned it.

Lucas *had* a fearsome reputation. It was not for nothing that parts were referred to as (e.g.) "a Lucifer dynamo". For those who aren't in the know, Joeseph Lucas => Joe Lucifer => The Prince of Darkness.
lady cop

Miles on Cars

Post by lady cop »

cars wrote: Hi Lady Cop, I love the XJ6, it was a gorgeous car. I had a 1971 XKE rag top with 78,200 miles on it, that I loved. It was a great handling car, low and "fast"! But you are also right about the Lucas electrical system, it gave me continual trouble for as long as I owned it. Jaguar's used to be called the "Rack-Queen" here, the best looking cars on the repair rack. (and exceptionally expensive to repair) Anyway, at least only the car was destroyed in the rollover and not you. "3" times, wow you are lucky!!!

hello all and happy turkey day! i was very fortunate, even with steel frame, there was nothing left but the hood ornament which i kept. and the jaguar floor mats which are in my ratty old nissan! (with 120,000 miles on). at least i get to run a police package crown vic. full out. and don't have to worry about maintenance...but we are supposed to kick the tires every day! LOL :rolleyes:
CARLA

Miles on Cars

Post by CARLA »

HI GUYS, and LADYCOP..!!

I'm new here, but I'm a gal that loves old cars.

I have been the original owner of a 1973 Camaro..!! Lucy will be turning over 200,000 miles any day now. I have driven her almost every day since 1973. Original everything. Had the engine overhauled once.. I LOVE THIS CAR.. IT WILL STILL BE RUNNING WHEN I'M LONG GONE.. :driving:

I have owned, and sold many old cars.

1. 1950 CHEVY.

2. 1954 CHEVY (red and white).

3. CORVAIR.. can't rememer the year 1965 or 66. Use to spin out on a regular basis..

4. 1971 CADILLAC SEVILLE.. THE USS SEVILLE I CALLED HER..!! The ride in this car was like floating on a cloud.

5. 1965 Pontiac Tempest.. !! A GTO wanna be.. Trunk on this car was huge.. ;)

I just pick one up every now and then, just because..!! I like chrome..!! :wah:

THEY JUST DON'T MAKE CARS WITH ANY FLARE THESE DAYS.. !!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

LottomagicZ4941

Miles on Cars

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

Don't remember how many miles my Grand AM made it.

However it did last me from 1987 to 2000. 13 years not to shabbie.

My Alero is already on 87K miles and she will be 4 years old in July? No that is just when I bought her so she is actually a tad older.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

Magic
cars

Miles on Cars

Post by cars »

CARLA wrote: HI GUYS, and LADYCOP..!!

I'm new here, but I'm a gal that loves old cars.

I have been the original owner of a 1973 Camaro..!! Lucy will be turning over 200,000 miles any day now. I have driven her almost every day since 1973. Original everything. Had the engine overhauled once.. I LOVE THIS CAR.. IT WILL STILL BE RUNNING WHEN I'M LONG GONE.. :driving:

I have owned, and sold many old cars.

1. 1950 CHEVY.

2. 1954 CHEVY (red and white).

3. CORVAIR.. can't rememer the year 1965 or 66. Use to spin out on a regular basis..

4. 1971 CADILLAC SEVILLE.. THE USS SEVILLE I CALLED HER..!! The ride in this car was like floating on a cloud.

5. 1965 Pontiac Tempest.. !! A GTO wanna be.. Trunk on this car was huge.. ;)

I just pick one up every now and then, just because..!! I like chrome..!! :wah:

THEY JUST DON'T MAKE CARS WITH ANY FLARE THESE DAYS.. !!

Hi Carla, welcome it's good to see Gals like cars also. I owned "thirty seven" cars so far, of various makes & models:

Cadilacs, Mercurys, Fords, Chevys -one was Corvett, Volvos, VWs, Renaults, Jaguar XKE, Chryslers, Plymouths, Buciks, Oldsmoble, Lincon, Pontiacs, Comaro.

I sometimes only kept a car for only threes months, then traded it in for someting else. Once I had a Royal Blue Buick Convertible with Cadilac Wire Wheels, for only two weeks, I bought it from a neighbor who owned a "Car Junk yard". It looked great, but was a total bomb of a car mechanically, Young and foolish back then. (That's why it was in the Junk yard!) So I brought it back to the Junk yard. Now that I'm way older, I slowed down trading in cars. So I now have two older cars that I bought brand new, 92 Bucik lesaber-limited- with 96,300 miles, & 97 Pontiac Grand Prix with 87,400 miles.

Both cars still look like almost new, as I keep fussing with them. Mechanically, they both are about average in normal repairs expected. :driving:

Cars
cars

Miles on Cars

Post by cars »

LottomagicZ4941 wrote: Don't remember how many miles my Grand AM made it.

However it did last me from 1987 to 2000. 13 years not to shabbie.

My Alero is already on 87K miles and she will be 4 years old in July? No that is just when I bought her so she is actually a tad older.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

Magic

Hi lottomagic, 13 years is great- the longest I had a car was 11 years, a mint 1982 Buick Riveria (bought brand new) with 81,000 miles that was stolen at the end of 1992 in New York City. I then replaced it with a brand new Buick Lesaber- Limited that now has over 95,000 miles. :driving:

Cars
valerie

Miles on Cars

Post by valerie »

My little Toyota 4X4 will be 19 years old in January, still runs like a top with

211,000 on her. Of course, being a four cylinder with that mileage I find

myself having to shift to fourth gear on upgrades sometimes, but she is so

fun to jump in and go. Recently I have been taking her for trips to a place

2 hours away, and she does great. I bragged on her when I got off the

freeway one of those times... I had stopped at a light and a newish Toyota

pickup pulled up and stopped in the lane next to me, and I could hear his

engine better than I could hear mine! Her body is in very good condition, too,

I keep her garaged and polished and the rain still beads up on her hood!

Had just the basics done to her, timing belt replaced once, but that is

pretty much it.

:driving:
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

valerie

Miles on Cars

Post by valerie »

Just realized a lot of this is a repeat from an earlier post... my apologies

gang!!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

cars

Miles on Cars

Post by cars »

valerie wrote: My little Toyota 4X4 will be 19 years old in January, still runs like a top with

211,000 on her. Of course, being a four cylinder with that mileage I find

myself having to shift to fourth gear on upgrades sometimes, but she is so

fun to jump in and go. Recently I have been taking her for trips to a place

2 hours away, and she does great. I bragged on her when I got off the

freeway one of those times... I had stopped at a light and a newish Toyota

pickup pulled up and stopped in the lane next to me, and I could hear his

engine better than I could hear mine! Her body is in very good condition, too,

I keep her garaged and polished and the rain still beads up on her hood!

Had just the basics done to her, timing belt replaced once, but that is

pretty much it.

:driving:

Hi valerie, wow 211,000 on a four cylinder you did and are still doing good!

I drove My four cylinder Plymouth Horizon to Florida 5 times, (1360 miles one way) it was great on gas, was getting around 40mpg average. The worst part was that the car did not have "cruise control", so my leg would start to cramp up or even fall asleep, after driving for 13 to 14 hours at a time. Before getting motel room (I was the only driver) At one point I held the gas peddal down with my Ice -Scrapper pole. I kept the body in mint condition for 10 years, when I sold it the finish shined so much you could still see your face in it. My friend who bought it loved it! (We're still friends, so it was a good deal all around)

Cars :driving:

Return to “General Chit Chat”