What's Permalink

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Accountable

What's Permalink

Post by Accountable »

I see "permalink" at the top right corner of each post. Whazzat?
spot

What's Permalink

Post by spot »

The permalink contains more of the thread title and forum name information, it bubbles posts higher in the Google listings. It's a selectable option in vBulletin's administrative panel, along with structuring its content. It's a recognized Search Engine Optimisation technique.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

What's Permalink

Post by Accountable »

Okay, out of all that I recognized the word "bubbles" but I think even that has a different definition than I know. I'll just leave permalink alone just in case it starts thermonuclear war. :-3
Chezzie

What's Permalink

Post by Chezzie »

A permalink, or permanent link, is a URL that points to a specific blog or forum entry after it has passed from the front page to the archives. Because a permalink remains unchanged indefinitely, it is less susceptible to link rot. Most modern weblogging and content-syndication software systems support such links. Other types of websites use permanent links, but the term permalink is most common within the blogosphere. Permalink is a portmanteau word made from permanent link. Permalinks are often simply stated so as to be human-readable.
spot

What's Permalink

Post by spot »

Well I reckon I'm right and you've just found a subsidiary specialized aspect of a minority of permalinks, that's what I reckon, and you're both mocking at me. Again.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

What's Permalink

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl ACC simply its a permanent link back to FG and that particular post. ;)

[QUOTE]Okay, out of all that I recognized the word "bubbles" but I think even that has a different definition than I know. I'll just leave permalink alone just in case it starts thermonuclear war. [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

What's Permalink

Post by chonsigirl »

AC, it isn't permament markers-I know you take those out of your students hands like I do! You wouldn't believe the king-sized one I snagged on Friday! :-3
AussiePam

What's Permalink

Post by AussiePam »

Blimey!!! I just love it when you guys talk durrrrty.

:sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Chezzie

What's Permalink

Post by Chezzie »

AussiePam;1067390 wrote: Blimey!!! I just love it when you guys talk durrrrty.

wait till we start on Linkbacks Pammie:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
AussiePam

What's Permalink

Post by AussiePam »

Do they get link rot too, Chez? I've suddenly come over all faint, and sort of panting....

Accountable

What's Permalink

Post by Accountable »

Chezzie;1067400 wrote: wait till we start on Linkbacks Pammie:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Is there a Cyber Sutra I should be reading? :D
Chezzie

What's Permalink

Post by Chezzie »

AussiePam;1067425 wrote: Do they get link rot too, Chez? I've suddenly come over all faint, and sort of panting....

cant say they do but you carry on fantasising Pammie, does no harm babe:D

LinkBacks (Trackbacks, Pingbacks and Refbacks) allow you to notify another site that you wrote something related to what is written on a specific page. This improves the chances of contributors to this page noticing that you gave them credit for something, or that you improved upon something they wrote. With LinkBacks, websites are interconnected. Think of them as the equivalents of acknowledgments and references at the end of an academic paper, or a chapter in a textbook.:D
along-for-the-ride

What's Permalink

Post by along-for-the-ride »

AFTR came to this thread to find out what the "permalinks" are.

:confused:

AFTR quietly leaves the thread.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
AussiePam

What's Permalink

Post by AussiePam »

Chezzie - For a motherFOC'er you are a fount of information!!!!!! LinkBacks, Trackbacks, Pingbacks and Refbacks shall henceforth add spice to my more intimate cyber moments. :sneaky:

Chezzie

What's Permalink

Post by Chezzie »

AussiePam;1067630 wrote: Chezzie - For a motherFOC'er you are a fount of information!!!!!! LinkBacks, Trackbacks, Pingbacks and Refbacks shall henceforth add spice to my more intimate cyber moments. :sneaky:

most just call me a geek Pammie so thanks...I think:yh_rotfl
AussiePam

What's Permalink

Post by AussiePam »

As a recovering geek, Chezzie, I can tell you that there is life after geekery. There is a great airy outdoors far from the sunless gothic cells brimming with humming technology, overloaded powerboards and empty coke cans. A land where people actually walk around (using their legs) and talk to each other face to face (using their mouth not their fingers), in a language which no longer includes even a race memory of LinkBacks, Trackbacks, Pingbacks and Refbacks. It's never too late!! You too could come out... into the daylight.. into normality!!!

:D

Chezzie

What's Permalink

Post by Chezzie »

AussiePam;1068130 wrote: As a recovering geek, Chezzie, I can tell you that there is life after geekery. There is a great airy outdoors far from the sunless gothic cells brimming with humming technology, overloaded powerboards and empty coke cans. A land where people actually walk around (using their legs) and talk to each other face to face (using their mouth not their fingers), in a language which no longer includes even a race memory of LinkBacks, Trackbacks, Pingbacks and Refbacks. It's never too late!! You too could come out... into the daylight.. into normality!!!

:D

No Pammie, that doesnt sound right, im sure you have that all wrong, I mean come on who talks to people face to face these days:thinking::D
AussiePam

What's Permalink

Post by AussiePam »

The first step is always the hardest, Chezzie. Stand up and move away from the machine. Yes, yes, of course the keyboard is permalinked to your fingers... unstick it. Don't trip over all the empty pizza boxes... okay crawl if you must (your legs will work again eventually), but put a bit of distance between you and the Boss. You feel dizzy, disoriented. This will pass, like the pasty cathode ray tan of your subterranean complexion. Sobbing at this point is natural. That too will go. Put down the IPhone, the Blackberry... they will just prolong the transition. See if you can make it to the door.. don't try and take in too much air at first, just a quick sniff of the breeze. Yes, the light is blinding. And yes, the green stuff is plants. They grow and sometimes you get flowers. No, no you don't need to google that concept.. it will come to you....

Chezzie

What's Permalink

Post by Chezzie »

AussiePam;1068142 wrote: The first step is always the hardest, Chezzie. Stand up and move away from the machine. Yes, yes, of course the keyboard is permalinked to your fingers... unstick it. Don't trip over all the empty pizza boxes... okay crawl if you must (your legs will work again eventually), but put a bit of distance between you and the Boss. You feel dizzy, disoriented. This will pass, like the pasty cathode ray tan of your subterranean complexion. Sobbing at this point is natural. That too will go. Put down the IPhone, the Blackberry... they will just prolong the transition. See if you can make it to the door.. don't try and take in too much air at first, just a quick sniff of the breeze. Yes, the light is blinding. And yes, the green stuff is plants. They grow and sometimes you get flowers. No, no you don't need to google that concept.. it will come to you....

Im not ready Pammie...I am afraid:-3
along-for-the-ride

What's Permalink

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Poor Chezzie. :wah:

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
AussiePam

What's Permalink

Post by AussiePam »

Yes, it's very sad, AFTR! Ah well, we tried!!!

CARLA

What's Permalink

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl Love the keyboard.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”