Lost the Value of Music

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Pheasy

Lost the Value of Music

Post by Pheasy »

I took my kids to see a symphony orchestra today. It was unbelievable! I used to play the oboe, and found the world of music ... so exciting... relaxing ... and different to anything else we will experience in this world. Sorry I am finding it hard to explain my feelings about it.

It is so sad that music is being put so low on the school priorities list. Music can change a person, it can guide you, calm you, excite you.

My son did not like the music by Beethoven, but also he could not deny the talent, could not deny that it was awesome.
CARLA

Lost the Value of Music

Post by CARLA »

Music can take you so many places in your mind. Music has always moved people in many ways. I grew up on classical music, as my mother loved it. I grew up in the 50's and 60's we heard such a wide variety of music I have always appreciated that. Your showing your son the best that music has to offer now he can appreciate all music. :guitarist
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Lost the Value of Music

Post by chonsigirl »

Get out your oboe and start playing again, it is a beautiful instrument!

Music fills your heart, and takes you to other places within your mind. I must have music on a daily basis, or I really do pout if I work all day into the night without it. Even 10 minutes before school, my flute comes out for a few songs, and I can go on through the day much happier. (Dr. G might like my new book, all Celtic songs for flute, I must get an Irish flute now!) And now, the teachers around me know I will be playing and wait, I think they like it too. Or I sit in with the flute section or strings, just for 10 or 15 minutes, the strings love my purple violin and I do too.

But it is a different mindset. On Sundays, I play about 5-7 hours of music. Piano, another instrument, singing or directing the choir. It is very difficult for me to revert back to the real world afterwards, your mind is in a different place. Watch all my typos on Sunday, I really cannot convert back to words after notes very well, knowing I must switch on music mode again in a few hours.

I get to go to the Nutcracker for a field trip, I have never heard it played live or seen it. I am very excited. I will take the score with me, and enjoy the music and dance. I will vanish into the realm of sugar plum fairies and notes, and be happy. (poor students who get to sit next to me!) :)
Kindle

Lost the Value of Music

Post by Kindle »

Music definitely touches the soul.

It's probably why they now teach Music Theraphy.

Perhaps we could heal ourselves if we choose the right CD???? :D

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Pheasy

Lost the Value of Music

Post by Pheasy »

chonsigirl;1049978 wrote: Get out your oboe and start playing again, it is a beautiful instrument!

Music fills your heart, and takes you to other places within your mind. I must have music on a daily basis, or I really do pout if I work all day into the night without it. Even 10 minutes before school, my flute comes out for a few songs, and I can go on through the day much happier. (Dr. G might like my new book, all Celtic songs for flute, I must get an Irish flute now!) And now, the teachers around me know I will be playing and wait, I think they like it too. Or I sit in with the flute section or strings, just for 10 or 15 minutes, the strings love my purple violin and I do too.

But it is a different mindset. On Sundays, I play about 5-7 hours of music. Piano, another instrument, singing or directing the choir. It is very difficult for me to revert back to the real world afterwards, your mind is in a different place. Watch all my typos on Sunday, I really cannot convert back to words after notes very well, knowing I must switch on music mode again in a few hours.

I get to go to the Nutcracker for a field trip, I have never heard it played live or seen it. I am very excited. I will take the score with me, and enjoy the music and dance. I will vanish into the realm of sugar plum fairies and notes, and be happy. (poor students who get to sit next to me!) :)

I regret ever giving it up! Music is the best therapy ever!

Your words are awesome, you say it so much better than I ever could :-6
Accountable

Lost the Value of Music

Post by Accountable »

Music used to be a huge part of my life, but it has slowly dropped down the priorities list. I don't even listen to it on the radio now, only talk radio. Our school didn't have an orchestra. I played trombone for 7 years in marching band. One of my big regrets is that I didn't learn more instruments. Every time I pass a keyboard I ache to play it but know I can't.

I agree with Chonsi. Pick up your oboe again.
Nomad

Lost the Value of Music

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;1050425 wrote: Music used to be a huge part of my life, but it has slowly dropped down the priorities list. I don't even listen to it on the radio now, only talk radio. Our school didn't have an orchestra. I played trombone for 7 years in marching band. One of my big regrets is that I didn't learn more instruments. Every time I pass a keyboard I ache to play it but know I can't.

I agree with Chonsi. Pick up your oboe again.

Well mainstream radio has gone to hell.

Its formatted to hit specific demographics in order to increase ad revenue.

It used to be about the music, no more.

Try listening to internet radio when youre on the pc. Guaranteed you will hear music you have never heard before. That motivates me to go buy cd's and it expands my musical tastes and keeps me interested and excited about music.
I AM AWESOME MAN
kazalala

Lost the Value of Music

Post by kazalala »

when my son was in school and about to pick his subjects for the last two years,, Music was high on his list,, his teacher loved him and said he was very good, he even used a piece of music my son wrote, and a jingle he recorded for a project(age14) as an example of his teaching for his own assesment. Sadly not enough pupils wanted to take music for their last two years so it was deemed a class couldnt be justified for the small amount that wanted to do it:( they were denied the chance to carry on with music as a subject:(

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
pinkchick

Lost the Value of Music

Post by pinkchick »

Pheasy;1049942 wrote: I took my kids to see a symphony orchestra today. It was unbelievable! I used to play the oboe, and found the world of music ... so exciting... relaxing ... and different to anything else we will experience in this world. Sorry I am finding it hard to explain my feelings about it.

It is so sad that music is being put so low on the school priorities list. Music can change a person, it can guide you, calm you, excite you.

My son did not like the music by Beethoven, but also he could not deny the talent, could not deny that it was awesome.
Pheasy what a beautiful thing to do with your kids :-6

Music is a huge part of my life. I grew up in a house full of it. None of us play any instruments but I used to get up in the morning and all you would hear was Joni Mitchell or Van Morrison (he was a favourite in our house) or John Lee Hooker to name a few. I remember saying to my dad one day - "Daddy don't you think the music that you listen too is very sad and depressing?" (I hated it at the time)

And he said that I would understand it one day when I learned to listen to the words and understand that they have meaning.

Now when I listen to the stuff that he likes ... I like it to (most of the time)

For me, it's not just about the words, it's about the music behind it. Music changes you I think. It's escapism. If you find a song or a piece of music thaat you like - it can lift you.

It really is soul food :-4
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Accountable

Lost the Value of Music

Post by Accountable »

kazalala;1050429 wrote: when my son was in school and about to pick his subjects for the last two years,, Music was high on his list,, his teacher loved him and said he was very good, he even used a piece of music my son wrote, and a jingle he recorded for a project(age14) as an example of his teaching for his own assesment. Sadly not enough pupils wanted to take music for their last two years so it was deemed a class couldnt be justified for the small amount that wanted to do it:( they were denied the chance to carry on with music as a subject:(
The school I teach at is begging for people to join the band. It is one of the morning announcements over the PA. They need more large brass. They do have a pretty good mariachi band, though.
kazalala

Lost the Value of Music

Post by kazalala »

Accountable;1050441 wrote: The school I teach at is begging for people to join the band. It is one of the morning announcements over the PA. They need more large brass. They do have a pretty good mariachi band, though.

such a shame:(

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Betty Boop

Lost the Value of Music

Post by Betty Boop »

Not all schools are anti-music. Our primary school has a great music teacher and he has a large band of followers. They start all the little ones off with recorders throughout the school and then they can choose to progress to any wind intsrument. We have drum lessons and guitar lessons available. There is an infant choir and a junior choir, with the juniors regularly taking part in competitions. Music is played at certain points of the day to refocus and calm children too.
chonsigirl

Lost the Value of Music

Post by chonsigirl »

Accountable;1050441 wrote: The school I teach at is begging for people to join the band. It is one of the morning announcements over the PA. They need more large brass. They do have a pretty good mariachi band, though.

That is true at my school too. Since I learned the flute, the band teacher keeps telling me to play the saxophone! He doesn't have enough, and the fingering is pretty similar. I think I am happy in the flute or string section. (and one other teacher sits in, with his clarinet-oh, he is good!)
Accountable

Lost the Value of Music

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl;1050447 wrote: That is true at my school too. Since I learned the flute, the band teacher keeps telling me to play the saxophone! He doesn't have enough, and the fingering is pretty similar. I think I am happy in the flute or string section. (and one other teacher sits in, with his clarinet-oh, he is good!)
But the embouchure is completely different. Switching from one to the other and back would be difficult.
along-for-the-ride

Lost the Value of Music

Post by along-for-the-ride »

For three years, I worked in poultry production.............meaning I had to hang whole birds (like you see in the grocery store)all day long on shackles. We were not allowed radios inside the plant. So, to help me get through the day, I "thought" music. I would think my favorite tunes and use the beat to do my job.

Music helped me survive my job in the plant.

I am thankful that music exists. It is one of the joys of life. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
chonsigirl

Lost the Value of Music

Post by chonsigirl »

Accountable;1050533 wrote: But the embouchure is completely different. Switching from one to the other and back would be difficult.

Yes, I don't think I will try it. I switch instruments enough, and I can only play so much a day, so some instruments do not get played. But I was happy to learn the flute, it is alot of fun.

Return to “General Chit Chat”