favourite comedians

Talk about your favorite comedians, their skits, and all things comedy.
neil

favourite comedians

Post by neil »

Some of my favourite comedians are or were, the Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Lewis and Martin, Benny Hill, Billy Connerley, Billy Crystal, Robin Williams, Spike Milligan (who can forget his tombstone, I told you I was sick) The Goodies, The Young Ones, and Monty Python. Who are your favourite comedians? :p:D:wah::-6:cool:
kazalala

favourite comedians

Post by kazalala »

I like all those!:D also i like Peter Kay, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Victoria Wood, and bad boy Russell Brand:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
CARLA

favourite comedians

Post by CARLA »

GEORGE CARLIN who just passed away one of the best ever. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Carolly

favourite comedians

Post by Carolly »

The sad thing is having known a few comedians in my life through working with them or whatever I have to say that most of the well known names I have met were in actual fact very serious not funny people away from the limelight.Hard to believe that when they were so very funny when they walked on that stage.Still it is a form of acting.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Carolly

favourite comedians

Post by Carolly »

kazalala;1043696 wrote: I like all those!:D also i like Peter Kay, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Victoria Wood, and bad boy Russell Brand:D
Hell Kaz I have to say that Russell Brand I find one of the most unfunny people on tele infact I cringe at his so called act.Na give me daft humour any day.....oh come back Fools and Horses:-4:-4;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
kazalala

favourite comedians

Post by kazalala »

Carolly;1043882 wrote: Hell Kaz I have to say that Russell Brand I find one of the most unfunny people on tele infact I cringe at his so called act.Na give me daft humour any day.....oh come back Fools and Horses:-4:-4;)

yea i know hes not to everyones taste,,, i dont know why i find him funny:-2:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
neil

favourite comedians

Post by neil »

Only Fools And Horses, havnt seen that in ages, but the older bloke is doing Frost now, isnt he? And yes to Dawn French, love her in the Vicar of Dibley, that show is a scream :wah: And I reckon her husband is funny to, Lenny Henry, he always gives me a laugh, especially when he impersonates Tommy Cooper :wah:

Didnt mind Norman Wisdoms movies either :)
Bruv

favourite comedians

Post by Bruv »

Al Murray ?

Anyone ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

favourite comedians

Post by spot »

I always found that humour has to be terrifying for it to work. Max Wall and Bill Oddie had that in spades, the notion that behind their seemingly helpful persona there was an axe murderer straining every sinew to get out and destroy the planet.

Marty Feldman had it too. Americans will know him as Igor in Young Frankenstein.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
neil

favourite comedians

Post by neil »

fuzzy butt;1044436 wrote: Peter Cook = genius......................"football is about nothing unless it's about something"

Norman gunstan

And who could forget Norman on the steps of the old parliment house when Gough was sacked, what a place for a comedian to be and at such a time, Bob Hawke wasnt impressed though, his classic words to Norman, "go away this is serious", Normans response "oh yes it is", I think my response would have been No **** Sherlock :wah:
Carolly

favourite comedians

Post by Carolly »

neil;1044402 wrote: Only Fools And Horses, havnt seen that in ages, but the older bloke is doing Frost now, isnt he? And yes to Dawn French, love her in the Vicar of Dibley, that show is a scream :wah: And I reckon her husband is funny to, Lenny Henry, he always gives me a laugh, especially when he impersonates Tommy Cooper :wah:

Didnt mind Norman Wisdoms movies either :)As a child I just LOVED Norman so so much...saw all his films.Poor buggers in a home now and not well at all bless his heart.
neil

favourite comedians

Post by neil »

Carolly;1044526 wrote: As a child I just LOVED Norman so so much...saw all his films.Poor buggers in a home now and not well at all bless his heart.

thats sad, I loved his bumbling ways and his facial expressions, I think the poms are the best at doing those facial expressions, they say so much but are so understated :)

Forgot Rowan Atkinson, loved him in Johnny English, and I dont know why, not to everyones taste, but I just love Blackadder :)
neil

favourite comedians

Post by neil »

the best comedic situation is the most unlikely place for a comedian to be, in the most serious situation :wah::cool:
kazalala

favourite comedians

Post by kazalala »

neil;1044402 wrote: Only Fools And Horses, havnt seen that in ages, but the older bloke is doing Frost now, isnt he? And yes to Dawn French, love her in the Vicar of Dibley, that show is a scream :wah: And I reckon her husband is funny to, Lenny Henry, he always gives me a laugh, especially when he impersonates Tommy Cooper :wah:

Didnt mind Norman Wisdoms movies either :)
I have seen Lenny Henry Live when he was pretty new on the scene, fantastic night:Dand Tommy Cooper! i forgot about him so funny, also Morecombe and wise:D

Have you ever watched Absolutely Fabulous with Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley,,, Joanna started off her acting career as a serious actor and still does serious parts, but she was born to be a comedienne:wah: another fave of mine is Bobby Thompson, only really known in the north east of England,, he was caled the Little waster and his humour was really only understood by "us Northerners" as it was really a p take of us all:wah:

Bruv;1044463 wrote: Al Murray ?

Anyone ?

Love him:-6

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Carolly

favourite comedians

Post by Carolly »

neil;1044609 wrote: thats sad, I loved his bumbling ways and his facial expressions, I think the poms are the best at doing those facial expressions, they say so much but are so understated :)

Forgot Rowan Atkinson, loved him in Johnny English, and I dont know why, not to everyones taste, but I just love Blackadder :)Na not a lover of them have to say as Im afraid I do love "daft" humour like little Norman had.....poor soul dont know what day it is now.....oh life and old age can be so cruel sometimes.
Carolly

favourite comedians

Post by Carolly »

A friend of mine at the time used to be in On The Buses if any of you guys overseas know of it.I used to go and watch it being made and loved every minute of it;)
neil

favourite comedians

Post by neil »

Carolly;1044911 wrote: A friend of mine at the time used to be in On The Buses if any of you guys overseas know of it.I used to go and watch it being made and loved every minute of it;)

I remember On The Buses, Reg Varney was the driver, and Doris Hare was his mum, cant remember the proper names of the cast, just there cast names. Bob the conductor, Arthur the brother in law, Blakie the supervisor, and Anna Karen I think played Stans sister :)

I grew up watching shows like that, Please Sir, Some Fathers Do Have Em, the Doctor series shows :)
Milly

favourite comedians

Post by Milly »

Tommy Cooper - Obvious silly humour that cracks me up! :wah:
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

Carolly

favourite comedians

Post by Carolly »

neil;1044999 wrote: I remember On The Buses, Reg Varney was the driver, and Doris Hare was his mum, cant remember the proper names of the cast, just there cast names. Bob the conductor, Arthur the brother in law, Blakie the supervisor, and Anna Karen I think played Stans sister :)

I grew up watching shows like that, Please Sir, Some Fathers Do Have Em, the Doctor series shows :)
Yep Anna was a friend of mine....her best friend is Babs Windsor....they met when they were making Carry on Camping.Babs actually got her a part in Eastenders as her sister......Aunt Sally.....yep thats me...full of useless info:wah::wah:;)BTW....theres a picture of me on here with Bob and Blakie;)
neil

favourite comedians

Post by neil »

Carolly;1045426 wrote: Yep Anna was a friend of mine....her best friend is Babs Windsor....they met when they were making Carry on Camping.Babs actually got her a part in Eastenders as her sister......Aunt Sally.....yep thats me...full of useless info:wah::wah:;)BTW....theres a picture of me on here with Bob and Blakie;)

I think we all have a little useless information Carolly. I just had a look at that picture you mentioned, love the hairdo, takes me back, not just with telly, but the styles of the times.

They must have been fun times for you :)
usernew

favourite comedians

Post by usernew »

Charlie chaplain. The king of all comedians because he was the one who make comedy while he is sleeping that is the sign of a good comedians .
hoppy

favourite comedians

Post by hoppy »

Older Americans might remember Herb Shriner. He had a TV show in the '50's I believe. Nothing remarkable about him. Just a once was.:D
qsducks

favourite comedians

Post by qsducks »

CARLA;1043836 wrote: GEORGE CARLIN who just passed away one of the best ever. ;)

Carlin was very funny. Also Robin Williams & Chris Rock are pretty funny:wah:
Odie

favourite comedians

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1194943 wrote: Older Americans might remember Herb Shriner. He had a TV show in the '50's I believe. Nothing remarkable about him. Just a once was.:D

don't remember that one, and I'm not american!:-5:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

some of us are Canadian here!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

......loved The Lone Ranger.:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
cooldude94

favourite comedians

Post by cooldude94 »

I like Peter Kay, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders.

They're funny.
Barman

favourite comedians

Post by Barman »

Jackie Mason, no one else comes close, unless they are funnier that is.:)
farmer giles

favourite comedians

Post by farmer giles »

Bruv;1044463 wrote: Al Murray ?

Anyone ?

saw him live he was brill :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
fuzzywuzzy

favourite comedians

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Catherine Tate..."am I bovered? do I look bovered"?
Betty Boop

favourite comedians

Post by Betty Boop »

Jimmy Carr
mikeinie

favourite comedians

Post by mikeinie »

There are and were so many:

Rodney Dangerfield

Chris Rock

George Carlin

Red Skelton

Des Bishop

Steve Martin

Gilda Radner

John Candy

Robin Williams

Joan Rivers (Until I saw her on the celebrity apprentice, I would never watch her again).

French and Saunders

All of the Monte Python crew

The list could go on and on.
southern yankee

favourite comedians

Post by southern yankee »

The Marx brothers, Martin and Lewis, George Carlin, Abbot and Castello, Jack Benny, Red Skelton, The first cast of saturday nite live. Robin williams, Steve Martin and the three stooges. yes i am a gal, who is Stooge CRAZY!!
beowulf

favourite comedians

Post by beowulf »

billy connolly at #1.................but there are so many others too
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

theia

favourite comedians

Post by theia »

Ricky Gervaise
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AussiePam

favourite comedians

Post by AussiePam »

theia;1303399 wrote: Ricky Gervaise

I've been kind of struggling with "The Office" - brilliant, maybe, but too close to the bone, somehow. I've known people like that. My younger daughter has the right word - "cringe-worthy" !!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

AussiePam

favourite comedians

Post by AussiePam »

beowulf;1303397 wrote: billy connolly at #1.................but there are so many others too

Did you ever see the film "The Man Who Sued God" - it's awesome, and set in the part of the Aussie south east coast with which I am mega familiar.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/

theia

favourite comedians

Post by theia »

AussiePam;1303401 wrote: I've been kind of struggling with "The Office" - brilliant, maybe, but too close to the bone, somehow. I've known people like that. My younger daughter has the right word - "cringe-worthy" !!!

Have you watched Extras, Pammie? It would be interesting to know what you think about it. I think Arnold was right when he said that RG is a little like Marmite...you either like him or hate him :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
hoppy

favourite comedians

Post by hoppy »

Most of the good comedians are gone. We're left with foul mouthed gutter trash who cause the title "comedian" to be associated with filth these days.
beowulf

favourite comedians

Post by beowulf »

AussiePam;1303401 wrote: I've been kind of struggling with "The Office" -

i struggle with it cos i dont find it funny .....:-3
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

spot

favourite comedians

Post by spot »

Not that I've tested the idea, but I suspect I'd be physically incapable of staying in the same room as any TV showing Ricky Gervaise. The fault is undoubtedly mine, I can theoretically accept that he's talented in some way that fails to register in my mind. He joins a long line of honourable exceptions who've been incapable of raising anything but annoyance. Jerry Lewis, except the one time he played a straight part which at least showed he could act. And, sadly, Norman Wisdom.

I think there's a common feature to those three writer/actors. I just don't like people laughing at people. With, yes, but not at. I think all three are laughing at the monster they created and it's not attractive.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AussiePam

favourite comedians

Post by AussiePam »

theia;1303404 wrote: Have you watched Extras, Pammie? It would be interesting to know what you think about it. I think Arnold was right when he said that RG is a little like Marmite...you either like him or hate him :-6

I've been told I need to see Extras! I was given the DVD of The Office, and have dutifully watched the first four episodes, with gritted teeth. I find it painful.

theia

favourite comedians

Post by theia »

spot;1303427 wrote: Not that I've tested the idea, but I suspect I'd be physically incapable of staying in the same room as any TV showing Ricky Gervaise. The fault is undoubtedly mine, I can theoretically accept that he's talented in some way that fails to register in my mind. He joins a long line of honourable exceptions who've been incapable of raising anything but annoyance. Jerry Lewis, except the one time he played a straight part which at least showed he could act. And, sadly, Norman Wisdom.

I think there's a common feature to all three - I just don't like people laughing at people. With, yes, but not at.

I find nothing funny at all in either Jerry Lewis and Norman Wisdom's type of humour.

But with Ricky Gervaise I find myself relating to certain aspects of his characters that I know I display, or could easily display, myself. For example I could have quite easily dug myself into the same hole that the female character in the Samuel L. Jackson episode of Extras made for herself in her attempt not to appear racist. For me, it isn't all about laughing at other people but laughing at aspects of myself, well hidden maybe but still there.
Betty Boop

favourite comedians

Post by Betty Boop »

beowulf;1303414 wrote: i struggle with it cos i dont find it funny .....:-3

The odd one or two I've watched I couldn't work out what all the fuss was about either.

I like Jimmy Carr.
LarsMac

favourite comedians

Post by LarsMac »

How can we have got this far in a discussion of Comedy without a mention of Carol Burnett?

Or Steve Allen?

Two of the funniest people on the planet, EVER.

Well, in my opinion, anyway.

Not to mention Tim Conway, and Harvey Corman, Walter Mathau, Jacky Gleason, Art Carney.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

favourite comedians

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1303455 wrote: How can we have got this far in a discussion of Comedy without a mention of Carol Burnett?

Or Steve Allen?

Two of the funniest people on the planet, EVER.

Well, in my opinion, anyway.

Not to mention Tim Conway, and Harvey Corman, Walter Mathau, Jacky Gleason, Art Carney.

Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, and Harvey Corman made a great trio!
LarsMac

favourite comedians

Post by LarsMac »

Odie;1303596 wrote: Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, and Harvey Corman made a great trio!

They did.

And then add Vickie Lawrence!!

They were such a great team.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
southern yankee

favourite comedians

Post by southern yankee »

Odie;1303596 wrote: Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, and Harvey Corman made a great trio! i loved the Carol Burnett show. i would laugh until i cry.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl.
spot

favourite comedians

Post by spot »

I mentioned The King Of Comedy earlier but I failed to bring Sandra Bernhard's name into the thread. She belongs here too.
Odie

favourite comedians

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1303610 wrote: i loved the Carol Burnett show. i would laugh until i cry.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl.

she was the best!:yh_rotfl

Return to “Talk About Comedy”