Shingles

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

My 9 year old daughter got diagnosed with Shingles today.

Started with the rash Saturday so now she has a band of blisters on the right hand side of her chest trailing round to her back. Shes already had lots of aches and pains. We have some painkillers and a tub of calamine and aqueous cream to ease the blisters.

Anyone else suffered with Shingles?

Any tips on easing the pain, Dr said it could last up to 6 weeks:-3
Betty Boop

Shingles

Post by Betty Boop »

Ouch, poor soul, shingles is horrible. Nothing to suggest I'm afraid, just lots of TLC. :-4
CARLA

Shingles

Post by CARLA »

Poor baby they are extremely painful so be aware of her tolerance for them. I have many friend who have them and its a life long problem unfortunately. I hope she just has a mild outbreak. Stress, heat, cold, you name can bring them on. :(

Now when your turn 60 (Me 61) they give you a vaccination for Shingles
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Betty Boop;1038786 wrote: Ouch, poor soul, shingles is horrible. Nothing to suggest I'm afraid, just lots of TLC. :-4

thanks Betty, shes actually leaning up my shoulder as I type lol, were lying on the bed watching tv:-4:-4
spot

Shingles

Post by spot »

She has my sympathy, it's an awful itch and the more it irritates the worse it gets. It fades eventually but it'll bounce back for briefer periods over the next year, you'll need to keep whatever works best for her after it's gone.

The measles virus hides away in the nerve fibres, from what I understand of shingles. A shake-up to the body - maybe a chill or a cold - lets it inflame these channels and they're just pure irritation and pain, directly stimulated rather than reacting to anything external. If the irritation is right at the nerve endings then maybe calamine might have an effect but it seems a bit unlikely that it should. Normal pain relief in the brain would make more sense. Being only nine I bet you're limited in what she's allowed - heavy duty stuff like co-codamol might be forbidden.

I'll look it up.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

spot;1038792 wrote: She has my sympathy, it's an awful itch and the more it irritates the worse it gets. It fades eventually but it'll bounce back for briefer periods over the next year, you'll need to keep whatever works best for her after it's gone.

The measles virus hides away in the nerve fibres, from what I understand of shingles. A shake-up to the body - maybe a chill or a cold - lets it inflame these channels and they're just pure irritation and pain, directly stimulated rather than reacting to anything external. If the irritation is right at the nerve endings then maybe calamine might have an effect but it seems a bit unlikely that it should. Normal pain relief in the brain would make more sense. Being only nine I bet you're limited in what she's allowed - heavy duty stuff like co-codamol might be forbidden.

I'll look it up.

Trouble is she is chronic asthmatic too spot so cant take some meds, calpol type painkiller is whats been prescribed. She had the flu jab the other monday but apparently that wouldn't bring it on.
Kathy Ellen

Shingles

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ahhhhh Chez....I'm so sorry for your daughter. My Mom had shingles....She was in pain quite often.

Good luck with finding remedies:-6
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

CARLA;1038787 wrote: Poor baby they are extremely painful so be aware of her tolerance for them. I have many friend who have them and its a life long problem unfortunately. I hope she just has a mild outbreak. Stress, heat, cold, you name can bring them on. :(

Now when your turn 60 (Me 61) they give you a vaccination for Shingles

thanks Carla, she doesnt whinge as much as me when im ill:wah::wah::wah::wah:
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Kathy Ellen;1038801 wrote: Ahhhhh Chez....I'm so sorry for your daughter. My Mom had shingles....She was in pain quite often.

Good luck with finding remedies:-6

thanks Kathy babe xxxx:-4
Bryn Mawr

Shingles

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1038792 wrote: She has my sympathy, it's an awful itch and the more it irritates the worse it gets. It fades eventually but it'll bounce back for briefer periods over the next year, you'll need to keep whatever works best for her after it's gone.

I'll look it up.

Thought it was Chickenpox?
spot

Shingles

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1038810 wrote: Thought it was Chickenpox?

It could well be chickenpox, I don't know yet, I've not been and looked!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Yeah its chicken pox, if anyone hasnt had it my daughter is highly contagious and can give them it, its highly dangerous for pregnant ladies to come in contact with chicken pox or shingles. You cant catch shingles:D
Lon

Shingles

Post by Lon »

Chezzie;1038767 wrote: My 9 year old daughter got diagnosed with Shingles today.

Started with the rash Saturday so now she has a band of blisters on the right hand side of her chest trailing round to her back. Shes already had lots of aches and pains. We have some painkillers and a tub of calamine and aqueous cream to ease the blisters.

The drug Valtrex (Acyclovir) is used at early onset of Shingles to shorten the time period. Ask your doc about it.
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Lon;1038817 wrote: The drug Valtrex (Acyclovir) is used at early onset of Shingles to shorten the time period. Ask your doc about it.

Thanks Lon, will do:-6
Betty Boop

Shingles

Post by Betty Boop »

Chezzie;1038818 wrote: Thanks Lon, will do:-6

I would have thought he would have offered it if its suitable for your daughter, my doctor gave it to me as soon as he diagnosed shingles in me a few years ago.
mrsK

Shingles

Post by mrsK »

Chezzie;1038767 wrote: My 9 year old daughter got diagnosed with Shingles today.

Keep her out of the sun.

Shingles are so very painfull,poor little woman.

Hope she is feeling better with the painkillers:-4:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Betty Boop;1038822 wrote: I would have thought he would have offered it if its suitable for your daughter, my doctor gave it to me as soon as he diagnosed shingles in me a few years ago.

He mentioned nothing except the painkiller (calpol substitute) he prescribed, like I said shes chronic asthmatic and also only 9 years, maybe they dont give it out to juniors.
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

mrsK;1038823 wrote: Keep her out of the sun.

Shingles are so very painfull,poor little woman.

Hope she is feeling better with the painkillers:-4:-6

Thanks H

Hope your feeling better hun xxxx:-4
chonsigirl

Shingles

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I hope she feels better soon! :-4
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

chonsigirl;1038834 wrote: Oh, I hope she feels better soon! :-4

thanks chonsi hun x:-4:-4
Lon

Shingles

Post by Lon »

Betty Boop;1038822 wrote: I would have thought he would have offered it if its suitable for your daughter, my doctor gave it to me as soon as he diagnosed shingles in me a few years ago.

Irrespective of the country, doctors will oft not prescribe a med in order to keep medical costs down. When you ask, it's a different matter. No matter what country, it seems you have to be proactive.
qsducks

Shingles

Post by qsducks »

Hi babe. Oh I just told little Q about it and he was actually upset (I had to explain it to him). Well, I bought some stamps yesterday and will get those Phillies posties out tomorrow for Molls. Have you tried a calamine bath yet or Aveeno has an oatmeal bath powder. Takes the sting out. Give her our luv and we will keep her in our prayers.:-4
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

thanks ducks and barman, much appreciated.

Didnt realise how common it was in youngsters tbh. I was alarmed as the net said it hit over 50's as a rule:-3:-3:-3:-3
kayleneaussie

Shingles

Post by kayleneaussie »

I really feel for her chezzie my daughter Renee had shingles when she was 10.She went water skiing and fell off and they took their time coming back to get her and she was really scared anyhow thats when she developed shingles. She is 37 now and still gets slight jabs of pain where she had the shingles cause it affects the the nerve endings. Its a relative of the chicken pox. In those days there wasnt much you could give her.Big hugs to her and lots of love from her Auntie Oz Bird :-4:-4:-4:-4:-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

kayleneaussie;1038907 wrote: I really feel for her chezzie my daughter Renee had shingles when she was 10.She went water skiing and fell off and they took their time coming back to get her and she was really scared anyhow thats when she developed shingles. She is 37 now and still gets slight jabs of pain where she had the shingles cause it affects the the nerve endings. Its a relative of the chicken pox. In those days there wasnt much you could give her.Big hugs to her and lots of love from her Auntie Oz Bird :-4:-4:-4:-4:-4

Awww thanks Kay babe, appreciated:-4
spot

Shingles

Post by spot »

Chezzie;1038880 wrote: Didnt realise how common it was in youngsters tbh. I was alarmed as the net said it hit over 50's as a rule:-3:-3:-3:-3Here, I've found a wonderful statistic to amuse her with - by the age of 85, half of all people will have had an attack. She's got in early, that's all. If the pain does get too much you could ask her doctor about a cream made from chilli peppers which can be used after her scabs have crusted over called Zostrix (= OTC capsaicin), I don't think it needs a prescription. If you ask about that you could ask about Lidocaine at the same time.
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

spot;1038924 wrote: Here, I've found a wonderful statistic to amuse her with - by the age of 85, half of all people will have had an attack. She's got in early, that's all. If the pain does get too much you could ask her doctor about a cream made from chilli peppers which can be used after her scabs have crusted over called Zostrix (= OTC capsaicin), I don't think it needs a prescription. If you ask about that you could ask about Lidocaine at the same time.

your a star Spot. Thanks so much :-4
abbey

Shingles

Post by abbey »

Poor thing!

I had shingles on the right side of my face it was awful, I looked like a leper.

I did use calomine but the oily variety, it does'nt dry on your skin like windolene.
flopstock

Shingles

Post by flopstock »

My nine year old had them this summer... gown or robe without elastic - on my littleone it created a ring around her along undie and pj lines...sweat areas...

oatmeal baths- she loved...:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

thanks for your replies Abbey, Jab and Flops..:-4

She is feeling ok, were having a lazy day under the duvet today:-4

the aqueous cream mixed with calamine is great too Abbs, doesn't go like windolene either lol..
Kathy Ellen

Shingles

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Chezzie;1039268 wrote: thanks for your replies Abbey, Jab and Flops..:-4

She is feeling ok, were having a lazy day under the duvet today:-4

the aqueous cream mixed with calamine is great too Abbs, doesn't go like windolene either lol..

Oh, I'm glad she's feeling better Chez...the poor wee one.:-6

That sounds good...think I'll get under the duvet early too...it's cold here:thinking:
Imladris

Shingles

Post by Imladris »

Tell her to dab loads of calomine on, let it dry in patches, then she can go out tomorrow with a really cheap and original costume! :yh_pumpkn:yh_ghost

Hope she's feeling better soon, poor little poppet. :-4
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Imladris;1039932 wrote: Tell her to dab loads of calomine on, let it dry in patches, then she can go out tomorrow with a really cheap and original costume! :yh_pumpkn:yh_ghost

Hope she's feeling better soon, poor little poppet. :-4

Thanks Immy

Good thing is some are starting to scab, she has a halloween party tomorrow, I have rung round and all have had chicken pox so she is ok to go..Tantrums and Tiaras it would of been if id had to say big sis can go but you cant:wah::wah::wah:
neil

Shingles

Post by neil »

Hey Chezzie, I sympathise with your daughter, I had shingles a couple of years back and the itch drove me mad. I cant remember what my doctor prescribe, but I think it was only a mild case as it cleared up in a week or two.

Shingles is related to chicken pox, but you can only get shingles after you have had chicken pox apprantly.

Get better soon young one :):-6
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

neil;1040427 wrote: Hey Chezzie, I sympathise with your daughter, I had shingles a couple of years back and the itch drove me mad. I cant remember what my doctor prescribe, but I think it was only a mild case as it cleared up in a week or two.

Shingles is related to chicken pox, but you can only get shingles after you have had chicken pox apprantly.

Get better soon young one :):-6

Thanks Neil, shes already scabbing over...whooohooooo

Shouldnt be wishing for your kids to get scabby I know:wah::wah::wah::wah:
Carolly

Shingles

Post by Carolly »

How is little Molls today Chez:thinking:;):-4
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Carolly;1040888 wrote: How is little Molls today Chez:thinking:;):-4

Shes alot better thanks Carol, blisters are itchy and sore but she is in fine spirits:D
Carolly

Shingles

Post by Carolly »

Chezzie;1040910 wrote: Shes alot better thanks Carol, blisters are itchy and sore but she is in fine spirits:D
Hugs from Aunty Carol:-4:-4;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Carolly;1040911 wrote: Hugs from Aunty Carol:-4:-4;)

thanks sweetie but i'm sure she would prefer a £20 :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Kathy Ellen

Shingles

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hey Chez:-4

My mates told me about 2 products that helps with the dreaded "itch" that might help your kidlet after she feels better. The products are made for adults and also for youngins:-4

My psoriasis is acting up lately and the dreaded "winter itch" has shown its ugly face.....my hands and elbows are so itchy, and I have terrible and painful rashes already. I put some these products on my face for moisturizing and on my hands and elbows last night. Well the itch has been gone since last night until today at 6 pm.....I'm delighted with these one day results.

The company is named Beiersdorf (They also make Nivia products) and the products are called Aquaphor healing lotion and Eucerin...lotion for skin and moisturizing the facial area.

If you're interested in these products and you can't find them in your neck of the woods I will mail them onto you.....just let me know.
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Kathy Ellen;1045698 wrote: Hey Chez:-4

My mates told me about 2 products that helps with the dreaded "itch" that might help your kidlet after she feels better. The products are made for adults and also for youngins:-4

My psoriasis is acting up lately and the dreaded "winter itch" has shown its ugly face.....my hands and elbows are so itchy, and I have terrible and painful rashes already. I put some these products on my face for moisturizing and on my hands and elbows last night. Well the itch has been gone since last night until today at 6 pm.....I'm delighted with these one day results.

The company is named Beiersdorf (They also make Nivia products) and the products are called Aquaphor healing lotion and Eucerin...lotion for skin and moisturizing the facial area.

If you're interested in these products and you can't find them in your neck of the woods I will mail them onto you.....just let me know.

Awww thanks Kathy.

However my eldest is an excema sufferer and I have that many emolients and moisture creams here I could open my own shop, she has already been using the dermasoap in the shower to stop the itch. Its not got the dreaded awful itchy stage yet however, we still have some blisters.

Thanks Kathy:)
Kathy Ellen

Shingles

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Chezzie;1045701 wrote: Awww thanks Kathy.

However my eldest is an excema sufferer and I have that many emolients and moisture creams here I could open my own shop, she has already been using the dermasoap in the shower to stop the itch. Its not got the dreaded awful itchy stage yet however, we still have some blisters.

Thanks Kathy:)

Hi Chez...should have clarified....

These products are used for any rash...great for psoriasis/excema...et all..

All the moms in my school plus myself have tons of products that don't work.:-5

All of these moms use this particular product and have seen tremendous results on their babies...no matter what age. It's just another thought to ponder.

It's working for my friend's baby and for ME...Yeehaa:wah:
Kindle

Shingles

Post by Kindle »

Chezzie:

I've never heard of children getting Shingles. I thought it was an 'older person's disease'.

Did your doctor suggest she get the Shingles shot to prevent this from happening again?

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

Kindle;1046156 wrote: Chezzie:

I've never heard of children getting Shingles. I thought it was an 'older person's disease'.

Did your doctor suggest she get the Shingles shot to prevent this from happening again?

No, didnt even mention their was a Shingles Injection? I will look into it.:D

I was alarmed at first but I have spoken to lots of people now who's children got shingles and some say their child was as young as 6 years.
Bez

Shingles

Post by Bez »

EURAX cream is good for reducing the 'itch' and of course keeping the area moiturised with non-scented cream of some sort. Drying of the skin with any skin complaint seems to make the problem worse.

Big hugs to the 'patient'............and Mum :)
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Chezzie

Shingles

Post by Chezzie »

I just found this Kindle.

Prevention of shingles

A vaccine is available for chickenpox, but it isn't routinely used in the UK. However, it is offered to health workers who aren't immune to chickenpox.

A vaccine that reduces the risk of shingles for people over the age of 60 has also been developed and is used in USA, but it hasn't yet been approved in the UK.

shingles
Kindle

Shingles

Post by Kindle »

Chezzie;1046326 wrote: I just found this Kindle.

shingles

In northeastern Ohio, if you wish to obtain a Shingles shot, you are currently on a list at your doctor's office. The waiting time for me is currently about a year.

This is the first time I've experience a wait like this.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1

Return to “Healthcare”