12 year old kids beat zoo kangaroo to death

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

We recently had a thread about the 7 year old child who fed animals to a zoo crocodile.

Here we are with another sick story that leaves me in despair.

What on earth are these parents bringing their children up like??

If they have so little regard for animal life, when are they going to start on people??

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 851186.ece

Prison...... Now
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

And given what happened in the last thread about the other situation, the official FG response is:

Poor child, god love him, we should hug him, hold him and let him know that we love him and that he is an important member of our society and teach him that is is not a nice thing to do to go around killing kangaroos.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I'm telling you, eliminate kids like that and we'll have better adults and a better world. Instead we mollycoddle them and blame their parents. They're just born evil and have no place in the world. Some of you wont like that and you don't have to. So their parents were fined, big deal. That does nothing. Unless the parents are so mad they beat the kids senseless in which case "maybe" they feel some of that kangaroo's pain but I doubt it.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

mikeinie;1033364 wrote: And given what happened in the last thread about the other situation, the official FG response is:

Poor child, god love him, we should hug him, hold him and let him know that we love him and that he is an important member of our society and teach him that is is not a nice thing to do to go around killing kangaroos.

Yep and you can bet some of us will be reported too, because some people couldn't handle it. Yet its okay to do this, unreal.
Oscar Namechange

RedGlitter;1033368 wrote: Yep and you can bet some of us will be reported too, because some people couldn't handle it. Yet its okay to do this, unreal.

I was wary of putting this thread on because the last one got so heated. These kids are not 7 years old like the last thread.

They are 12 years old and perfectedly capable of understanding what they did.

Thanks to "The Sun" newspaper here in Britain who is not afraid to sensationalise these storie's.

Come on Fg members, don't be afraid to say what you think.

Prison is too good for them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

mikeinie;1033364 wrote: And given what happened in the last thread about the other situation, the official FG response is:

Thats not what was said at all. We said he didnt deserve to be put to death at 7 years of age. We all said the lad needed help, we said he should be punished.

These kids in this story are 10 and 12 years old, and definitely understand right from wrong. They killed the Kangaroo and seagulls, they should be punished for it.

I have a 10 and a 9 year old, they know at this age that killing of any animals is cruel.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

RedGlitter;1033367 wrote: I'm telling you, eliminate kids like that and we'll have better adults and a better world. Instead we mollycoddle them and blame their parents. They're just born evil and have no place in the world. Some of you wont like that and you don't have to. So their parents were fined, big deal. That does nothing. Unless the parents are so mad they beat the kids senseless in which case "maybe" they feel some of that kangaroo's pain but I doubt it.

We think alike on this subject.
Oscar Namechange

I said on the last thread, that i have the mis-fortune of being spokesperson in local police/resident forums.

I said that many people don't know the true horror of what some kids do.

It's not until you attend meetings like this, you find out that child crime is horrific.

One of the things that regually goe's on, is the killing of pets, cats and dogs.

We had a case hit the local rag here earlier in the year, of kids puring petrol over a pet dog and setting it on fire. The dog pulled through but these cases are not as random as some believe.

They are all too very common but it is only the one's like this one that get reported in the national papers.

I don't know the answer. I know that as kids, we had a lesson in school called "Rural Science" where we kept all manor of animals in the school and were educated into respecting them.

I just feel that if kids who are of the age (12) to know what they are doing, they are of the age to be punished as seen fit by society. Why should anyone spare their feelings when they obviously have so little regard for anything.

I still maintain that if they are capable of doing this to an animal, it's not long before it's another child or adult.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

This makes me feel sick, literally, to the pit of my stomach. Those poor creatures.

I don't know what to say.

If kids resort to this sort of thing, they would probably wear any form of punishment as a badge of honour.

Perhaps they should be made to slop out the zoo's cages for a year before school (if they bother to attend) under strict supervision, on top of the fine.
abbey

Post by abbey »

RedGlitter;1033367 wrote: I'm telling you, eliminate kids like that and we'll have better adults and a better world. Instead we mollycoddle them and blame their parents. They're just born evil and have no place in the world. Some of you wont like that and you don't have to. So their parents were fined, big deal. That does nothing. Unless the parents are so mad they beat the kids senseless in which case "maybe" they feel some of that kangaroo's pain but I doubt it.Oh ffs! :-5
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

No one condons 10-12 yr old kids bashing any animal. That doesn't mean they can't be punished and still become decent adults in society. It doesn't say in the article if, when or how the kids were punished by their parents, for all we know they have taken steps to teach these kids that this is not acceptable in society.
Oscar Namechange

OpenMind;1033383 wrote: This makes me feel sick, literally, to the pit of my stomach. Those poor creatures.

I don't know what to say.

If kids resort to this sort of thing, they would probably wear any form of punishment as a badge of honour.

Perhaps they should be made to slop out the zoo's cages for a year before school (if they bother to attend) under strict supervision, on top of the fine.

Great Idea but i think at 12 years old, they are old enough for some-thing far worse. They should never be allowed near an animal again in their live's.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

RedGlitter;1033367 wrote: I'm telling you, eliminate kids like that and we'll have better adults and a better world. Instead we mollycoddle them and blame their parents. They're just born evil and have no place in the world. Some of you wont like that and you don't have to. So their parents were fined, big deal. That does nothing. Unless the parents are so mad they beat the kids senseless in which case "maybe" they feel some of that kangaroo's pain but I doubt it.
Wow. Eliminate? Beat the kids sensless? Would you condone eliminating or beating a 6 month old dog for eating a baby bunny it found in the yard, or if it bit a person? Unbelievable Red.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

oscar;1033390 wrote: Great Idea but i think at 12 years old, they are old enough for some-thing far worse. They should never be allowed near an animal again in their live's.

Put them in the tiger's cage to slop out then and give the tiger a looooong leash. And they can't come out until they've slopped out completely.

If they're intelligent enough, they can do it.
Oscar Namechange

YZGI;1033393 wrote: Wow. Eliminate? Beat the kids sensless? Would you condone eliminating or beating a 6 month old dog for eating a baby bunny it found in the yard, or if it bit a person? Unbelievable Red.

Animal's who eat bunnie's do it by instinct simply beacuse they are animals.

Humans are supposed to be the superior of all life-form and this example is the lowest of life-form.

20 years in a goolag would do me.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

abbey;1033387 wrote: Oh ffs! :-5

Oh get over it.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

oscar;1033407 wrote: Animal's who eat bunnie's do it by instinct simply beacuse they are animals.

Humans are supposed to be the superior of all life-form and this example is the lowest of life-form.

Yes, I wouldn't want those punks around any animals. Ever. Even as "community service." That's like hiring pedophiles to tutor kids. Wolf guarding the henhouse.
spot

Post by spot »

We had a very perfunctory and token "What on earth are these parents bringing their children up like" in the opening post and since then it's all been let's punish the children. perhaps you'd like to expand on "What on earth are these parents bringing their children up like" slightly.

The idea that a 12 year old - or, indeed, anyone else - is irredeemable doesn't sit well with practical experience, in which many people have led perfectly well-behaved lives once they've had an environment in which to be sorted out by experts. The environment in which these 12 year olds exist is obviously inadequate, look what it's brought them to.

We've said it before, in a different environment these children would be fine children anyone could be proud of. They're not responsible for their environment. In my opinion, based on these facts, they're entirely guilt-free until they've been treated remedially to an adequate extent. If they then lapse back into criminality then the crime system can deal with them. Meanwhile something should be immediately done to protect the children from their parents.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1033407 wrote: Animal's who eat bunnie's do it by instinct simply beacuse they are animals.

Thats why they are worth trying to save instead of eliminating.

I'll give you the instinct part but humans are also born with a hunting instinct, thats how we survived to this time. That does not mean I condone sensless bashing. Some teaching of society standards would go far though.
abbey

Post by abbey »

RedGlitter;1033416 wrote: Oh get over it.What should I get over,yet another child killing thread ?

You are so bloody predictable.
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Makes me sick to my stomach.

Reading things like this ,animals beat to death by kids.:-5:-5

What kind of example are the parents setting for their children?

Have the kids seen cruelty to animals in RL & following by example thinking it is the norm?

Are the kids being miss treated?

I don't know the answers,who does?

I just find it very sad.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Oscar Namechange

A question for Spot..... Do you lay the blame entirely at the feet of the parents??

Do you remember the dog who was set on fire by the kids in Bristol this year??

Do you know what became of them?

The local rag did several progress reports on the dog but nothing as to the punishment of the kids who apparently admited it with ease.

(Congratulations to Brislington, The Bristol 'PDSA (People's Dispensary for Sick Animals) who pulled him through with no charges to the owner)
Oscar Namechange

mrsK;1033436 wrote: Makes me sick to my stomach.

Reading things like this ,animals beat to death by kids.:-5:-5

What kind of example are the parents setting for their children?

Have the kids seen cruelty to animals in RL & following by example thinking it is the norm?

Are the kids being miss treated?

I don't know the answers,who does?

I just find it very sad.

The sad part is it appears they do it for fun.

What are the chances of remorse??:(:(
Oscar Namechange

Unfortunately, as i have said before, kids doing this to animals is not un-common and it's only the big cases that make the papers.

I have a side yard that does nothing and Mr Oscar and i have been pondering weather to start taking injured wild-life in again. I'm not sure if we can meet the cost of shelter and runs but the very first thing we have done in our plans is to re-new all the fencing around the yard to stop kids getting in. We would be stupid not to as there has been problems like this in this area in the past. It sounds like we are anti-kid, far from it, but it is fact of life that there are kids who would quite happily set fire to your bird avairy or worse if given the chance.

Animals are easy targets.....they are defenceless... that's why they do it.... they are cowards whatever their ages.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1033452 wrote: A question for Spot..... Do you lay the blame entirely at the feet of the parents??Yes, totally, utterly, completely, for as long as they're the adults legally appointed to be responsible for the child's upbringing. The moment that a court removes their parental rights and gives a care order then it's out of the parents' hands. The care order ought to have built-in remedial instructions.oscar wrote: Do you remember the dog who was set on fire by the kids in Bristol this year??

Do you know what became of them?No, just the front-page spread. What you need is the phone number of a Post reporter prepared to tell you these things if you ring in. If they don't print what they h=know then we're rather stuck.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1033470 wrote: Animals are easy targets.....they are defenceless... that's why they do it.... they are cowards whatever their ages.No, they're inadequately brought up. Any of my children would have behaved that way if they'd lived with those parents and grown up in that environment. As far as I'm concerned there's no difference at all between those children and my own.

I've spent the best part of a year teaching a small girl to stroke instead of grasp. I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1033480 wrote: Yes, totally, utterly, completely, for as long as they're the responsible adults legally appointed to be responsible for the child's upbringing. The moment that a court removes their parental rights and gives a care order then it's out of the parents' hands. The care order ought to have built-in remedial instructions.No, just the front-page spread. What you need is the phone number of a Post reporter prepared to tell you these things if you ring in. If they don't print what they h=know then we're rather stuck.

Yes, your right but i will have to get some-one else to ring the post... as you know why!

As for the parents, i can't help but agree. It's an odd thing i find as in my own example, my parents were not animal lovers. They abhored animal cruelty but dad used to say to me as a kid, "When you get your own mortgage, you can stuff your house to the rafters with animals"... and i did.

My brothers are not animal lovers either, again, they'd never hurt them and bring their children up to respect all animals.

Yet, i went on to champion animal rights etc. I was very nearly arrested outside a monkey laboratory in Henfield, West Sussex in the 70's infact.

I find my love of animals and desire to protect them, a thing i was born with. I was not raised that way. I can remember heaving at my mother gutting a freshly caught rabbit and refusing to speak to her for a week.

So, if it's in-built in me to protect our animal life form, i can't help but wonder if these kids are born with an in-built hatred or lack of caring for them???

Or do they have an in-built hatred of any life form as it is well documented that some animal abusers go on to become serial killers?
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1033488 wrote: So, if it's in-built in me to protect our animal life form, i can't help but wonder if these kids are born with an in-built hatred or lack of caring for them???

I don't think it is inbuilt in you. I think there's some set of events in your growing years which built that into you. It's why I've been talking about environment, of which the parents form a major part. The new-born child, to the best of my experience, is a blank slate.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1033491 wrote: I don't think it is inbuilt in you. I think there's some set of events in your growing years which built that into you. It's why I've been talking avout environment, of which the parents form a major part. The new-born child, to the best of my experience, is a blank slate.

I have a slight dis-agreement with this. We have adopted children in our family and while as very young children, you could clone them with the other kids in our family but later in their childhood, we see 'traits' come out in them.

They are treated exactly the same as the natural born, infact two of them are not old enough to know they are adopted yet. For an example, we find we have a budding artist, some-thing never seen in our family and although they are raised to be creative, this has not been taught to him either.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1033500 wrote: I have a slight dis-agreement with this. We have adopted children in our family and while as very young children, you could clone them with the other kids in our family but later in their childhood, we see 'traits' come out in them.

They are treated exactly the same as the natural born, infact two of them are not old enough to know they are adopted yet. For an example, we find we have a budding artist, some-thing never seen in our family and although they are raised to be creative, this has not been taught to him either.

Complicated, isn't it. You're a very long way there from someone being born innately and irredeemably evil and for whom no alternative exists in society than to kill them. Yes I can well imagine that there are aspects of genetics which can push one or other trait to the fore but, firstly, I think environmental pressures are stronger and secondly, I don't think "evil" is one of those traits.
Oscar Namechange

I'd be very interested as in any case like this, where they did some background imformation on the parents. How they live, what their response is etc.

I can understand to a degree the debate over the 7 yr old but surely, by 12 years old, their own feelings kick in as mine did??
Odie

Post by Odie »

This is sick, same as before, again, these kids knew what they were doing and it was done deliberate.

What really pisses me off, the parents have to pay the fine, you know darn well what I would do to those kids, and don't go saying again, oh but there just kids!

I don't give a dam what age you are, you do it, you pay for it!

perhaps jail time would be good for all of them!

:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1033488 wrote: Or do they have an in-built hatred of any life form as it is well documented that some animal abusers go on to become serial killers?
I'm sure that association exists. I'd not call it cause and effect. I'd write it as "some serial killers engaged earlier in animal abuse". It seems a huge and impossible step to me to say of a serial killer that he was destined from birth by his innate nature to become a serial killer. I'm quite sure that an investigation into the upbringing of a serial killer would flag up significant episodes which eventually left the person in that condition.
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1033511 wrote: This is sick, same as before, again, these kids knew what they were doing and it was done deliberate.Yes and yes and yes. They'd still not have done it if they'd been properly brought up though, would they. You're laying the blame in the wrong place.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Researchers say that a child's violence against animals often represents displaced hostility and aggression stemming from neglect or abuse of the child or of another family member. Animal cruelty committed by any member of a family, whether parent or child, often means child abuse occurs in that family.

Serious or repeated animal cruelty is seen more often in boys than in girls. Children as young as four may harm animals, but such behavior is most common during adolescence. Cruelty is often associated with children who do poorly in school and have low self-esteem and few friends. Children who are cruel to animals are often characterized as bullies and may have a history of truancy, vandalism, and other antisocial behaviours.

All points to the children have a poor upbringing and needing nurture and not elimination!

In 1997 survey of 50 of the largest shelters for battered women in the United States found that 85% of women and 63% of children entering shelters discussed incidents of pet abuse in the family. Children who have witnessed domestic violence or who have been the victims of physical or sexual abuse may also become animal abusers themselves, imitating the violence they have seen or experienced. A study conducted in 1995 noted that 32% of the pet-owning victims of domestic abuse reported that one or more of their children had hurt or killed a pet. Similarly, a 1983 study noted that children were reported to be abusive to animals in more than a third of a sample of pet-owning families referred to New Jersey's Division of Youth and Family Services for suspected child abuse.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1033505 wrote: I'd be very interested as in any case like this, where they did some background imformation on the parents. How they live, what their response is etc.

I can understand to a degree the debate over the 7 yr old but surely, by 12 years old, their own feelings kick in as mine did??

Consider Mary Bell then as a sample, her background's been very well investigated. Her age is closer, her acts rather more extreme but the same underlying principle applies. Or, if you prefer, find a similar study on a child who killed animals. Or follow up Chezzie's leads.
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1033514 wrote: Yes and yes and yes. They'd still not have done it if they'd been properly brought up though, would they. You're laying the blame in the wrong place.

to many people blame parents in all kinds of situations.

My son had OD'd on cocaine one year.....it had nothing whatsoever to do with me, or his upbringing, he knew all about drugs, he chose his own path.

spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1033522 wrote: to many people blame parents in all kinds of situations.

My son had OD'd on cocaine one year.....it had nothing whatsoever to do with me, or his upbringing, he knew all about drugs, he chose his own path.

I agree with you, by the time they become independent and leave home you have no further influence over them. They're grown. That's nothing to do with being a parent responsible for a child's upbringing. You can have a sliding scale if you like, from 100% parental responsibility from birth to adolescence sliding to zero at adulthood.
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1033525 wrote: I agree with you, by the time they become independent and leave home you have no further influence over them. They're grown. That's nothing to do with being a parent responsible for a child's upbringing. You can have a sliding scale if you like, from 100% parental responsibility from birth to adolescence sliding to zero at adulthood.

my son still lived at home with us, he was 14!
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

The kids were wrong in beating the kangaroo to death. They should be punished, not euthanize for being evil. In my opinion, calling for the death of a child, makes a person just bad as the kid who beats an animal.

Parents are to blame, but maybe society is to blame to. Lots of parents are afraid to punish their kids due to folks being so nosy and calling child welfare on them. So maybe it's everyone's fault that kids are this way.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Oscar Namechange

I will google some more of Chezzie's leads as it is interesting.

I remember last year, we confronted some kids aged around 8 who were trying to chase the foxes with sticks. We didn't rant and rave at them but repeatedly asked WHY they were doing it. One lad eventually said "Because they're there".

We knew this lad and knew he had pet rabbits and guinea pigs in his garden, so i just don't get it at times.

I do remember Mary Bell who killed a little boy aged 10 yrs old. If i remember what i read on her, she had tried strangling other children prior to the murder of the little boy. The authoritie's and parents should have picked up on this and appropriate action taken before she went on to kill.

I also don't remember reading anything about her being abused. Infact, i seem to remember that she was brought up in a poor area, but decently by a good mother. Having said that, the mother was investigated and found to have a string of 'male visitor's' so maybe Mary Bell saw things she shouldn't have.
Oscar Namechange

When my cat was found with a hole in his head, tossed half way in a field (cars don't toss cat's into near-by fields), the Police seargent admited to me that the killing of cats was far more common than any body reads in the papers. Alot of people don't report it as a crime because they assume their cat has wandered off. It is far more common than any of us would like to imagine and this officer told me it is children.
Oscar Namechange

I do also think that society as a whole has become so 'nasty'.

When was the last time you could smile at a stranger in the street without them running for the police or stabbing you in the eye?:thinking::thinking:
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1033544 wrote: When my cat was found with a hole in his head, tossed half way in a field (cars don't toss cat's into near-by fields), the Police seargent admited to me that the killing of cats was far more common than any body reads in the papers. Alot of people don't report it as a crime because they assume their cat has wandered off. It is far more common than any of us would like to imagine and this officer told me it is children.

so sorry this happened, how awful!

but your right, its kids, and until something is legally done to them....it will carry on as it has for decades!

Return to “General Chit Chat”