Baby Loggerhead Sea Turtles!!!

robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

While vacationing in Alabama recently I got to see one the neatest things I have ever seen in my life and will probably never see again!! One night while walking on the beach w/ my kids we discovered some conservation people monitoring a sea turtle nest. They were really nice and encouraged us to stick around as the baby Loggerhead sea turtles were due to be coming up through the sand and making their way to the ocean! Out of 117 eggs, 57 had already left the night before and more were due to make their way to the ocean in the next few nights. We sat in the dark very quiet for a long time and nothing happened. The people said to check back the next night and so we did but again, nothing. They told us to watch for them the following day in the afternoon as they would be digging up the nest to "help" along any remaining turtles. WOW! It was fascinating! 13 more little babies were helped to the surface and watched as they slowly made their way down a long narrow manmade trench that led them to the water. They were some of the cutest little things I have ever seen! Pictures do not do them justice. What is amazing is how very few of these little guys survive. I almost had tears in my eyes as I watched them hit the first waves and touch water for the first time, their little flippers helpless against the power of the ocean. My children ages 3, 5 and 8 had quite an experience that day!
Nature laughs Last
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I saw them too!!!! Isn't that the coolest thing? My kids were 5 when we were there on vacation (luck of the draw we were there) and the kids got the full lecture an appreciation for not interfering with animals at that time.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Almost forgot......here is a website about the Sea Turtles and the "Share the Beach" program that helps these turtles we saw....

http://www.alabamaseaturtles.com/nestin ... tatistics/
Nature laughs Last
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that's so cool Robin, and thanks for the link. That will be fun to pull up at school for the kids.
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

nvalleyvee wrote: I saw them too!!!! Isn't that the coolest thing? My kids were 5 when we were there on vacation (luck of the draw we were there) and the kids got the full lecture an appreciation for not interfering with animals at that time.

Yes it really was "luck of the draw"!! We were so lucky...just happened to be in right place at right time! My 8 yr old son had just finished a summer school class he had picked on Endangered animals, so what a way to end a lesson!!!!!
Nature laughs Last
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

That's so cool. No matter how much you experience in life, there's always more. Thanks Robin!

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I'll bet your son will never forget that sight - my kids still talk about it and they are married with children. It is so cool when our kids actually get to see what they have studied - it really drives it home.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Okie

Post by Okie »

nvalleyvee wrote: I'll bet your son will never forget that sight - my kids still talk about it and they are married with children. It is so cool when our kids actually get to see what they have studied - it really drives it home.

I once saw a tv program of some sort and there was a lady who devoted much of her life to helping sea turtles. but she got in bad trouble for it. The rangers or someone said she was interfering in nature and she had to leave them alone. I think she was making sure they got to the sea. Seemed right to me. They all called her "the turtle lady"
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Thats funny. Well I am sure she saved dozens of turtles. Unfortunately there are some who think you are unqualified if you don't have the "official" conservation department name tag/I.D!!!!! So ridiculous!

Reminds me of some sea lions we found on a beach in Malibu CA last spring.....seems they had been washed ashore and their lives were at stake. We promptly called the "officials" who came and took the lion out of there. But as they did so, they were some of the most unfriendly people I had ever encountered. Seems they forgot we were the ones that made the call to save the animals life!!!!!
Nature laughs Last

Return to “Conservation The Environment”