Puzzled elephant

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Puzzled elephant

Post by spot »

Noorjahan in undoubtedly scouring her memory for amorous engagements in the recent past and deciding she must have been too drunk one Friday night to notice.

One wonders in passing, too, exactly what she thought the training was in aid of.

Noorjahan, whose nickname come from her distinctive hair, has become the first Asian elephant in the UK to become pregnant by artificial insemination. Keepers at Twycross Zoo said the procedure had been "incredibly successful" and that the baby elephant was expected to be born in August 2009.

The Leicestershire zoo decided to use artificial insemination because it had no male elephants in its collection. Moving elephants between zoos for mating is avoided because it is bad for herd dynamics. Zoo manager John Ray said: "The (implanting) was done on the first time. That was down to the keeper's really good training regime with the elephant, so she was able to stand steady enough."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7675961.stm

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Puzzled elephant

Post by Odie »

cool what they do nowadays, 22 months an elephant is pregnant for.......long, long time!

thanks for sharing!
Life is just to short for drama.
RedGlitter

Puzzled elephant

Post by RedGlitter »

Um, not a job I would want!:lips:
spot

Puzzled elephant

Post by spot »

Not a job you're equipped to perform. They had to interview a lot of keepers before they found that one.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
qsducks

Puzzled elephant

Post by qsducks »

RedGlitter;1026986 wrote: Um, not a job I would want!:lips:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Violetmay

Puzzled elephant

Post by Violetmay »

Now that is an interesting job. But not one I could do either.
Wibble
Kathy Ellen

Puzzled elephant

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thanks Spot...that's lovely..:-6

But, oy vey...imagine being pregnant for 22 months:lips::thinking::wah:
qsducks

Puzzled elephant

Post by qsducks »

The pay had better be worth it.
chonsigirl

Puzzled elephant

Post by chonsigirl »

Ghads, too long to be expecting, poor elephant. Now that made me think, to have 4 kids, I was pregnant for 3 years of my life! :-3
qsducks

Puzzled elephant

Post by qsducks »

chonsigirl;1027117 wrote: Ghads, too long to be expecting, poor elephant. Now that made me think, to have 4 kids, I was pregnant for 3 years of my life! :-3

I was pg for only 4 yrs and have 4 too.

Return to “General Chit Chat”