Poll - BTS v Bryn Mawr regarding health care - US posters only

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Bryn Mawr;703836 wrote: I'm sorry but that is the most damning indictment of a health system that I have ever seen.

Totally indefensible - it amount to manslaughter

I don't think many are going to disagree there.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Bryn Mawr;703836 wrote: I'm sorry but that is the most damning indictment of a health system that I have ever seen.

Totally indefensible - it amount to manslaughter
Damning indeed, but of a hospital, not the entire system. I followed links to an MSNBC story that said it was under federal investigation and given 3 weeks, but I couldn't find any followup. I can't believe the entire ER staff weren't fired on the spot.
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1026451 wrote: I can't believe the entire ER staff weren't fired on the spot.According to today's Los Angeles Times, that's exactly what happened.the biggest challenge confronting the next supervisor is the failure of Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital, which the county closed under pressure from state and federal regulators after years of failed reform attempts.

They both advocate reopening the hospital. Parks wants it to be run by the county; Ridley-Thomas advocates a public-private partnership.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/polit ... .storyThat leaves thousands of uninsured patients diverted to other fully-laden local hospitals already overwhelmed with the need for treatment by those with no resources.Schwarzenegger also signed legislation to give Community and Mission Hospital of Huntington Park $500,000 in tobacco tax money to help cover the costs of treating uninsured patients.

The hospital has experienced a surge in uninsured emergency room patients since the closure of Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital last year.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/polit ... 4798.story

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

If my kids break/sprain an arm or foot, etc. I avoid the ER and go right to an orthopedic surgeon. Faster treatment.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1026466 wrote: According to today's Los Angeles Times, that's exactly what happened.

the biggest challenge confronting the next supervisor is the failure of Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital, which the county closed under pressure from state and federal regulators after years of failed reform attempts.

They both advocate reopening the hospital. Parks wants it to be run by the county; Ridley-Thomas advocates a public-private partnership.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/polit ... 6393.story

Fortunately or unfortunately, closing a hospital isn't firing the employees who worked there. Side note: I never understood closing a hospital, school, etc when it's the people inside who are underperforming. Why punish the building?? :-2
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1026484 wrote: Fortunately or unfortunately, closing a hospital isn't firing the employees who worked there. Side note: I never understood closing a hospital, school, etc when it's the people inside who are underperforming. Why punish the building?? :-2

Who employs the workers at a hospital? Is it the hospital or is it a larger organization? I suppose if it's a larger organization they might be redeployed instead of laid off.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

qsducks;1026471 wrote: If my kids break/sprain an arm or foot, etc. I avoid the ER and go right to an orthopedic surgeon. Faster treatment.I had all four of mine in ER before they were at school, for one reason or another. None of them broke any bones. I dislocated one of their shoulders, that was one trip.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1026512 wrote: Who employs the workers at a hospital? Is it the hospital or is it a larger organization? I suppose if it's a larger organization they might be redeployed instead of laid off.
It was a county hospital; they were county employees.
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1026610 wrote: It was a county hospital; they were county employees.

So you think they were redeployed instead of laid off? Sent to work in other local hospitals on the same contract? No loss of seniority or holiday entitlements, that sort of deal?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1026635 wrote: So you think they were redeployed instead of laid off? Sent to work in other local hospitals on the same contract? No loss of seniority or holiday entitlements, that sort of deal?
Dunno but it's possible. It depends on what that video showed. I'm cynical though without specific information. Somebody would've crowed victory if anybody had been sacked.
spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;1027449 wrote: Dunno but it's possible. It depends on what that video showed. I'm cynical though without specific information. Somebody would've crowed victory if anybody had been sacked.

It's seven thousand miles from here mate, for all I know they crowed.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

spot;1027478 wrote: It's seven thousand miles from here mate, for all I know they crowed.
I didn't find anything in the newsfeeds. Anybody else know?? Carla?

Return to “Healthcare”