We now have a Dog Club!

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
shelbell

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by shelbell »

Helen;1009342 wrote: hi red, good thread to start.

i have two probs with my springer, now 7yrs old,

men and cars !!

he hates men, utterly despises them............ except my best friend, who he thinks is the best thing since someone invented swimming in muddy water :rolleyes:

he will think nothing of taking a crafty snap at a guy if he walks past, he tolerates the lads who live here cos he's got no choice.

he's even chased someone to have a go but thank heavens, he came back when i called him.

as for the cars, its like travelling with a manic barking machine. he's always been like it but this last two or three times, he's whipped himself into such a frenzy, i feared he would have a heart attack.

we've tried letting him sit in the car for a while ( not in the sun or with the doors shut before anyone raises a question ) he'll stay in there all day but as soon as you try to drive away, he starts.

Hi Helen. I've got a Chow that doesn't like men either, except she is a daddy's girl. She does like our neighbor because he is her "friends" dad. In her case tho, she is afraid of men and will bark and growl at them, then if they look at her she runs and hides behind mommy. Try using a choke chain on him and have him go near men but giving him little reminders with the chain if he starts focusing on them. Make sure that the men DO NOT make eye contact at all and pretend as if he isn't even there...totally ignore him. As far as the car rides, have you tried a doggie seat belt?
Helen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Helen »

shelbell;1009851 wrote: Hi Helen. I've got a Chow that doesn't like men either, except she is a daddy's girl. She does like our neighbor because he is her "friends" dad. In her case tho, she is afraid of men and will bark and growl at them, then if they look at her she runs and hides behind mommy. Try using a choke chain on him and have him go near men but giving him little reminders with the chain if he starts focusing on them. Make sure that the men DO NOT make eye contact at all and pretend as if he isn't even there...totally ignore him. As far as the car rides, have you tried a doggie seat belt?

hi shell,

have thought about a doggie seat belt but always a little scared if we have an accident i wont be able to get him out !!:rolleyes:

i dont stop him having contact with men, i just warn them first and watch him carefully !! his whole body language says " i'll let you touch me but one false move buddy and you're dog food " then i praise him when he behaves.
shelbell

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by shelbell »

Helen;1009950 wrote: hi shell,

have thought about a doggie seat belt but always a little scared if we have an accident i wont be able to get him out !!:rolleyes:

i dont stop him having contact with men, i just warn them first and watch him carefully !! his whole body language says " i'll let you touch me but one false move buddy and you're dog food " then i praise him when he behaves.

If you have an accident, he'll probably be injured so badly or thrown from the vehicle that you won't have to worry about getting him out of the seatbelt.

My men suggestions is to have the man behave as if your dog isn't even there. Let your boy go up to them when he is ready and let him sniff them out. Don't let the men move toward the dog in any way until your dog is ready for them. If you're praising him after he has that body language, he will think it's acceptable to behave that way. He should be relaxed and not show any signs that he might bite someone, this is the only time he should be praised.
Helen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Helen »

shelbell;1010482 wrote: If you have an accident, he'll probably be injured so badly or thrown from the vehicle that you won't have to worry about getting him out of the seatbelt.

My men suggestions is to have the man behave as if your dog isn't even there. Let your boy go up to them when he is ready and let him sniff them out. Don't let the men move toward the dog in any way until your dog is ready for them. If you're praising him after he has that body language, he will think it's acceptable to behave that way. He should be relaxed and not show any signs that he might bite someone, this is the only time he should be praised.

hi shell,

never gave that a second thought !! and i expect he can sense my tensness too which dosnt help.
shelbell

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by shelbell »

Helen;1010520 wrote: hi shell,

never gave that a second thought !! and i expect he can sense my tensness too which dosnt help.

Oh, most definitely he can sense when you are tense...he may think you are afraid of the man and he has to protect you. If you have him on a lead, relax your shoulders and drop your arms...do deep breathing if you need to. Your boy will pick up on all your body signals and act accordingly. If my babies get too excited when someone comes over, I'll gate them in the kitchen until they calm down, then and only then will I let them come out to greet the visitors. Then they will generally do a quick sniff of everyone and then leave them alone.

Can you tell I've watched a lot of the "Dog Whisperer"? :wah:
useciscap

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by useciscap »

That's a very interesting topic. But this field is still new to me. It will be grateful if you give me some more information about it. Thanks in advance.
Data entry-Virtual Assistant

Return to “News and Announcements”