We now have a Dog Club!

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
RedGlitter

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by RedGlitter »

By member request, I've just started a group for anyone who loves dogs and wants to talk about them. We'll talk about behavior, training, their health care, vets, everything dog-related. It's new so it needs help! It is open to everyone whether you have a dog or just like them and want to talk about them.

Please be part of it! Thank you!

-Red

ETA: Change in plans. The group layout was not conducive to discussion so we are keeping it here.

Kathy Ellen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Woohoo Red, make sure you look at my Warren Eckstein site:-6
Kathy Ellen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

jimbo;947572 wrote: terri , forum gardens dog whisperer :-4:-4

well done terri :-6:-6

:wah::wah: great name Jimbo
RedGlitter

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by RedGlitter »

Hee hee....thanks Jimbo :-6

Kathy Ellen, did I miss it? Where do I find Warren Eckstein??
Kathy Ellen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

It was in Jimbo's thread, doggie rules.....here it is...hope you like Warren...I love him:-4

Here's my post........

Good idea Red,

Even though I don't have pets, wish I did, I love to watch the "Dog Whisperer" and Warren Eckstein on the radio. Do you listen to him....if not, you can probably get his show on the net....he's fabulous...:-6

Here's a link to Warren....

http://thepetshow.com/

http://www.thepetshow.com/blog/

wonder if he'd come onto our thread....hummmmm, maybe in the future....
RedGlitter

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you Kathy Ellen, I will check him out! :)
Dewey2Me1MoThyme

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Dewey2Me1MoThyme »

Hey Red, being the proud adopted father is 2 schnauzers, I applaud you on starting this post. Now, who can stop my male schnauzer, Max, from constantly barking at people walking by, or even a block away if he can't find anyone else to bark at? I've tried "No" which is a waste of breath, I tried taking him back in the house and leaving him by himself for a while, no luck, Then I tried one of the dog whisperer's tricks, i make him lie down chin on the ground with "down, all the way down" and he does it but is still growling under his breath. I've tried also rolling him onto his back exposing his belly to the "intruder" as a sign of humility, this works for a short period ofthyme, but the next person to go by gets an unfriendly welcome as well. I've tried all of these consistantly for a month or more, but it doesn't phase him the next thyme out of the house. If left on his own with no commands or dicipline, he will charge the fence and chase them. He doesn't bite or show teeth, but his bark is enough to terrify most people.

I have no idea what kind of life he had before being picked up as a stray and may have been taught to be a watchdog, no clue, but we are at wits end here. He is a very smart dog and learns tricks really fast, even mo complicated ones, so he's not too dumb to learn different behavior I don't think. He can sit, sit pretty, dance in circles, take a bow, down, stay usually, take a treat on a preselected # count, he's gentle and playful with us and the other pets. What is the secret I'm looking for? :-5
flopstock

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by flopstock »

Do they have to be fancy dogs that go on papers, or is my poor old mutt welcome>:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Victoria

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Victoria »

I have three mutts and love to bore people to death talking about them or getting out the photo albums! ha ha

Should be fun.:wah:
RedGlitter

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by RedGlitter »

flopstock;947767 wrote: Do they have to be fancy dogs that go on papers, or is my poor old mutt welcome>:-6

All dogs are welcome! You know me Flop, I'm no dog snob. :wah:

But we're kind of changing things around to make it more effective since we already have a pet section with a lot of good advice already there. Don't want to confuse people. It should all be sorted out by later today so when we get it all in order we'll make a post telling everyone of its final place. Ok? Ok! ;)
Kathy Ellen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I do love animals, especially dogs and cats. I'm not used to animals due to allergies, and haven't acquired one due working long hours during the wintertime. I've only had one cat, Foxy, who was attacked by dogs and had to be put down. I have an ungodly fear of dogs and want to get over this fear.

How do I get over this fear?....I freeze and panic when I encounter an unleashed dog......
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

oh great!! i cant wait for all the advice:D My Sheila was very aggressive towards other dogs when we first got her, but she was in heat at the time, then we got her spayed and she went straight in to a phantom pregnancy:wah: She is a lot better now, we can actually walk past other dogs on the same side of the street, she still pulls bit dont snarl or growl at them, unless they do:-3 But i remember Red saying somethng about understanding their body language. Now when she sees another dog approaching she sort of crouches down in to a stalking position, it looks a bit like a border collie stance, i dont think its a submissive position, it definately looks like stalking:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Kathy Ellen;952500 wrote: I do love animals, especially dogs and cats. I'm not used to animals due to allergies, and haven't acquired one due working long hours during the wintertime. I've only had one cat, Foxy, who was attacked by dogs and had to be put down. I have an ungodly fear of dogs and want to get over this fear.

How do I get over this fear?....I freeze and panic when I encounter an unleashed dog......

Im not sure how you can get over that Kathy, except to expose yourself to dogs more:-3 its always safe to be a bit wary of a loose dog though:-3

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Carolly

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Carolly »

Great idea for a Thread ......well done mate;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Kathy Ellen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

kazalala;952516 wrote: Im not sure how you can get over that Kathy, except to expose yourself to dogs more:-3 its always safe to be a bit wary of a loose dog though:-3

Thanks Kaz.....this thought actually scares me:confused:
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Kathy Ellen;952523 wrote: Thanks Kaz.....this thought actually scares me:confused:

:wah: oh dear ,, well dont you have any friends or rellies with dogs so they can help you get used to them:-3 its such a shame you are scared of them, is there a reason?:-3

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Kathy Ellen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

kazalala;952528 wrote: :wah: oh dear ,, well dont you have any friends or rellies with dogs so they can help you get used to them:-3 its such a shame you are scared of them, is there a reason?:-3

Thanks Kaz, it really bothers me that I'm afraid of dogs. My sil has a lovely, darling sheltie. I'm not afraid of her because I've spent time with her and know she won't hurt me. I won't go into friends homes who have certain types of dogs.....I'd be afraid that they would smell my fear.

I honestly don't know why I'm afraid of dogs....maybe because I was never exposed to them.
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Is this still the dog club?:-3:wah: Red did you say you had some links or info on how to read your dogs body language?:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
RedGlitter

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by RedGlitter »

Whoops! It sorta fizzled didn't it? Yes, I do know of some body language that may be helpful- I'll get on that and get it posted here. Thank you for the nudge Kaza! :)
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

RedGlitter;960978 wrote: Whoops! It sorta fizzled didn't it? Yes, I do know of some body language that may be helpful- I'll get on that and get it posted here. Thank you for the nudge Kaza! :)

aw thanks Red!:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

ok i have mentioned before my dog is not very dog friendly. She is a Staffy and we got her at 18 months old in February. She is loads better than when we got her,, then she used to snarl and growl at any other dogs even if they were across the road, now she doesnt do that although she still pulls, we can also pass another dog on the same path now, she is pulling but not growling unless the other dog starts growling or barking then she will. The funny thing is she is ok with some dogs, but not others and there dont seem to be a pttern about what type of dogs. Im at a bit of a loss now and feel as if we have her at the best she can be, but i would love her to be able to be beside another dog without worrying she is suddenly going to go for them. I never ever let her off her lead. Also im not really sure what type of aggression towards dogs it is. It looks dominant as she stiffens her body and tail is held up and stiff (even though its sometimes still wagging?) sometmes it seems predatory as when she sees a dog comeing towards her she sort of stalks it. The other thing i dont understand is when a loose dog, unleashed comes to her she has never growled or went for it ,, she still seems a bit wary but with some of them after a while she even engages in play. So my problem is, because i dont really understand why she is sometimes aggressive towards other dogs, i dont feel i can help her, and maybe i am even hindering her? She has never shown any other type of aggression,, towards people or with her toys or food etc. I would appreciate any advice:)

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Accountable

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Accountable »

I'm against it. Newspaper or magazine is adequate corporal punishment. A club would just be cruel.
abbey

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by abbey »

Accountable;1008177 wrote: I'm against it. Newspaper or magazine is adequate corporal punishment. A club would just be cruel.:wah:
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Accountable;1008177 wrote: I'm against it. Newspaper or magazine is adequate corporal punishment. A club would just be cruel.

abbey;1008187 wrote: :wah:

very helpful im sure:rolleyes::wah::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
abbey

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by abbey »

Well it gave me a chuckle. :D
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

abbey;1008923 wrote: Well it gave me a chuckle. :D

oh good:rolleyes::wah:

sooooooo is there anyone else in tis dog club that actually knows anything about dogs at all:-3:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Accountable

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Accountable »

kazalala;1008927 wrote: oh good:rolleyes::wah:

sooooooo is there anyone else in tis dog club that actually knows anything about dogs at all:-3:D
I've had dogs most of my life, but I haven't seen what you describe. Does she behave that way with other dogs she's familiar with? Perhaps another dog owner will do an experiment with you and carefully put her in various situations to gage her reaction. I've seen dogs approach another dog looking aggressive, but only sniff once they got close.
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Accountable;1008941 wrote: I've had dogs most of my life, but I haven't seen what you describe. Does she behave that way with other dogs she's familiar with? Perhaps another dog owner will do an experiment with you and carefully put her in various situations to gage her reaction. I've seen dogs approach another dog looking aggressive, but only sniff once they got close.

Sadly she isnt familiar with any other dogs, I feel a bit shy about asking another dog owner to help my dog get used to behaving better, it does'nt seem fair on their dogs does it:wah: My brother has a male staffy but does'nt really live close enough for us to let them interact too often. When we get close to a dog she does'nt start growling straight away ,, she lets them have a sniff and sometimes can be beside them for a while, but still you can see she is on her guard, i usually allow other dogs to come to her if their owners are ok about it, but at the moment i am trying to walk away before she starts to get too edgy,, then i will tell her good girl and give her a treat,,, if she growls she does'nt get a treat.

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Accountable

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Accountable »

kazalala;1008957 wrote: Sadly she isnt familiar with any other dogs, I feel a bit shy about asking another dog owner to help my dog get used to behaving better, it does'nt seem fair on their dogs does it:wah: My brother has a male staffy but does'nt really live close enough for us to let them interact too often. When we get close to a dog she does'nt start growling straight away ,, she lets them have a sniff and sometimes can be beside them for a while, but still you can see she is on her guard, i usually allow other dogs to come to her if their owners are ok about it, but at the moment i am trying to walk away before she starts to get too edgy,, then i will tell her good girl and give her a treat,,, if she growls she does'nt get a treat.
I'm certainly not the expert, but it seems to me she's just acting normally. I don't think she's in fighting mode, only in a getting to know you mode. I can't offer any advice because it would only be guessing. I'm sure Red or Valerie can help. Good luck! :-6
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Accountable;1008978 wrote: I'm certainly not the expert, but it seems to me she's just acting normally. I don't think she's in fighting mode, only in a getting to know you mode. I can't offer any advice because it would only be guessing. I'm sure Red or Valerie can help. Good luck! :-6

Thanks anyway:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
RedGlitter

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by RedGlitter »

The funny thing is she is ok with some dogs, but not others and there dont seem to be a pttern about what type of dogs.

That's not uncommon. Just like people, dogs pick their friends.

I wish I could see her in action to get a better idea of this. Pulling on lead doesn't necessarily signal aggression, maybe she just wants to go meet the new dog. If she's growling though and ears are back, tail is not wagging and lips are flaring up then that definitely signifies aggression.

If two dogs are meeting each other for the first time, look for the wagging tails. The dogs may be at attention but if it's a stiff, on guard attention yet they are wagging and barking a bit, then they're just letting each other know "I'm not sure about you yet, but maybe we could be friends."

I would not be introducing dogs at first without them both being on leash. When they do meet, make sure you don't tense up because the dog will notice that. Also, don't tighten the leash because that along with your body language will signal to your dog that there is something to be tense about. Make sure you have a good grip on the leash but a relaxed grip.

I don't think you're hindering her myself but I also don't think it's a bad idea to introduce her to friends' dogs on leash. You could try the Towel Trick: Before the dogs see each other, take a clean towel and rub it over one dog to collect his scent. Then proceed to rub the same towel over the second dog. Finally rub the first dog with the towel. You are mixing their scents so they will both smell "familiar" to each other when they meet and this should encourage them to be friendly.

I realize your dog may just be picky and if that's so, I don't think there's much you can do, but that is only my opinion. We need to see what the other dog people have to say. :)
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Thanks Red,, i think maybe she is just picky, or reacting to other dogs body language ,, not sure ,, anyway i always have her on a leash. :)

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Odie

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;952500 wrote: I do love animals, especially dogs and cats. I'm not used to animals due to allergies, and haven't acquired one due working long hours during the wintertime. I've only had one cat, Foxy, who was attacked by dogs and had to be put down. I have an ungodly fear of dogs and want to get over this fear.

dogs shouldn't be walking on sidewalks where the public is, what I do, is ask the owner, may I pat him or the ones that are unleased, just let the dog smell you, that's usually all they want to do.
Life is just to short for drama.
Milly

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Milly »

Kaz, without seeing your dog, it's difficult to say, but from reading you, I'd say the barking is caused because she is nervous and the aggression is out of fear.....

My dog is very similar and I worked on a programme called gradual desensitisation.... you know where the problem is so you slowly each day, expose her to the situation.... now everytime she barks, you ensure her attention is on you and not what is distracting her.... put her in a sit, keep her attention all the time on you, don't look at the other dog or owner, keep her attention the whole time the dog and owner walk past on you..... keep a treat in your hand if you have to at first and if she sits quietly focussing on you, after they have passed you may reward her, giving her LOADS of praise, but only if she listened... If she continues to bark.... in a firm voice get her in the sit again and again keep the focus on you, if she still won't stop, try briefly walking the other way then stop and again try the command, keeping calm and firm..... twenty minutes exposure a day should be enough... gradually allowing your dog to get closer to others... eventually she'll hopefully relate other dogs to being rewarded and see them as a good thing and look to you for her command instead of her feeling she needs to control the situation -

Hope that helps Kaz....:)
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

scouse;1009196 wrote: Kaz, without seeing your dog, it's difficult to say, but from reading you, I'd say the barking is caused because she is nervous and the aggression is out of fear.....

My dog is very similar and I worked on a programme called gradual desensitisation.... you know where the problem is so you slowly each day, expose her to the situation.... now everytime she barks, you ensure her attention is on you and not what is distracting her.... put her in a sit, keep her attention all the time on you, don't look at the other dog or owner, keep her attention the whole time the dog and owner walk past on you..... keep a treat in your hand if you have to at first and if she sits quietly focussing on you, after they have passed you may reward her, giving her LOADS of praise, but only if she listened... If she continues to bark.... in a firm voice get her in the sit again and again keep the focus on you, if she still won't stop, try briefly walking the other way then stop and again try the command, keeping calm and firm..... twenty minutes exposure a day should be enough... gradually allowing your dog to get closer to others... eventually she'll hopefully relate other dogs to being rewarded and see them as a good thing and look to you for her command instead of her feeling she needs to control the situation -

Hope that helps Kaz....:)

Thnkas Scouse, yes i did get her used to other dogs a bit, as at first she would growl even though they were across the road, now we can pass dogs on the same side of the road, yes she puls to go se the dog but does'nt growl. Its just when she is close enough to another dog ,, if the owner stops to let them greet each other etc. sometimes she is ok and as i said i try to leave before she gets too cocky, then give praise. the thing is she has never growled at a loose dog running up to her:-3 I'm afraid once she is distracted its extremely hard to get her to pay attention:sneaky: She is a lot better than when we forst got her so im hoping things wil improve,, i was just at a loss as to her type of dog agression because its not always the same.

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
valerie

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by valerie »

Kaz, you've gotten some good tips here.

Some of them just have leash aggression and are okay otherwise,

but if there is never a safe place to let them off then you don't

know.

Someone talked to me about "reaction threshold" you've got to

make sure you're always outside of that, figure out what your

dog's limit is... if your dog reacts say at 20 feet, keep her at 22!

Treats usually work really well in my experience. Pick a nice treat

that your dog doesn't get any time but when you go on walks.

I don't know if you can get them where you are but I am using

"Yummy Chummies" they are salmon based and the dogs really seem

to like them. If you time it right, you will be amazed, she will see

another dog and look to you for "cookies"!

Be wary of trying for too much too fast... and if you have an

"incident" you might have to return to kindergarten... square one as

they say.

Red's right... they don't all like everyone else. I've dealt with this

some with my dog Sierra, but it's better now because I just remove

her outside her reaction threshold and give her treats. Kind of a pain

but hey, you do what you have to! And she was just excellent at

the off leash playdate we recently had.

Good luck!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by 911 »

Dewey2Me1MoThyme;947766 wrote: Hey Red, being the proud adopted father is 2 schnauzers, I applaud you on starting this post. Now, who can stop my male schnauzer, Max, from constantly barking at people walking by, or even a block away if he can't find anyone else to bark at? I've tried "No" which is a waste of breath, I tried taking him back in the house and leaving him by himself for a while, no luck, Then I tried one of the dog whisperer's tricks, i make him lie down chin on the ground with "down, all the way down" and he does it but is still growling under his breath. I've tried also rolling him onto his back exposing his belly to the "intruder" as a sign of humility, this works for a short period ofthyme, but the next person to go by gets an unfriendly welcome as well. I've tried all of these consistantly for a month or more, but it doesn't phase him the next thyme out of the house. If left on his own with no commands or dicipline, he will charge the fence and chase them. He doesn't bite or show teeth, but his bark is enough to terrify most people.

I have no idea what kind of life he had before being picked up as a stray and may have been taught to be a watchdog, no clue, but we are at wits end here. He is a very smart dog and learns tricks really fast, even mo complicated ones, so he's not too dumb to learn different behavior I don't think. He can sit, sit pretty, dance in circles, take a bow, down, stay usually, take a treat on a preselected # count, he's gentle and playful with us and the other pets. What is the secret I'm looking for? :-5

Hey!

My dog used to do this even if he knew the person. Of course, the fence was way back from the road but he still barked at anyone walking down the street or anyone in their own yard. It was annoying, to me and my neighbors. He was also a pound puppy.

I finally read something that made sense. It said that the dog trains him/herself, without knowing it, to bark at people. It appears to the dog that as they bark at people, the people walk away thus signifiying to him/her that they have defended their home and chased off the bad guys.

My little fella would bark to the other dogs in the neighborhood late at night. It used to remind me of 101 Dalmations when they sent out that alert :wah: Even in the house he would woof softly, more of a heavy exhale, if he heard another dog barking.

The only other way to get hm to stop would be to find something he absolutley does not like. One of my dogs hated flea spray (this was before the little drops you put on the neck). If he did anything bad wrong, I would spray him and he would stop. Eventually, I could just shake the can at him, later just point to it, until I could just give him a "look".:p

Hope this helps you to understand why he does it and maybe help you find a solution.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
minks

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by minks »

Do you have doggie training classes in your area Kaz?

I know we took our Eskie for doggie training and because they are such an anti social, single owner, guard dog breed we were told to expose him to many many dogs and people, and keep him on a leash for the longest time and treat train him so when he met other dogs and behaved he was rewarded. He did well.

Interestingly he suffered some emotional set backs with the divorce because his people exposure was dropped from many (we always had friends and family around) to very few (Jr Minks and I, and my other daughter and her family occasionally) So now when he is out with me where humans are, he is leashed. He is still rewarded for good behavior.

KE I wish I lived closer to you , like I said in another post I would love to have you get to know Bella. She weighs about 4 lbs.

If I were to make any kind of suggestion on how to work on your fears of dogs I would suggest pet stores that sell dogs.

Go with someone you know who is not afraid of dogs like your SIL. Go into the pet often and for the first little while just look at them in their cages/areas. Go up close and watch them. Most are puppies and have not developped aggresive tendancies and are generally just wanting to play. Do this often. As you feel more comfortable with this, then ask your friend to as for one to be taken out of the cage and brought to her in the special little observation rooms they have. You can watch from outside. Here I know they have a little bench and short walls so one person can go in with the dog and the other (you) can stay out and just watch. Do this until you are comfortable. (remember you won't get the same puppy all the time)

Slowly work up to physically meeting a dog. Perhaps whomever you take to the petstore could ask to see one of the puppies usually they have little rooms the puppy and the person can go to on their own. And you could observe and watch the interaction. One thing about puppies they jump around a lot so they are challenging.

Maybe you could work up to going in there with your friend or SIL and just stand and watch. Remembering a puppy could jump up (sometimes out of curiosity, some times out of wanting to play) But they most likely are not going to hurt you... You would not be giving them any reason to bite. You could have your friend hold the puppy and you could just be in the area with it without touching it till you felt comfortable to come back and maybe actually touch the dog while it's being held. And perhaps depending on how badly you want to move forward you could actually reach a comfort level of touching the dog.

Some things I taught my girls from a very young age was never pet an unleased dog, never reach through a fench to pet a dog, and never ever put your face into a dogs face. I taught them to always ask the owner if they could pet the dog. A good pet owner usually shortens the leash gets down to the dogs level and prevents it from jumping up on you. Often they have their hands near the dogs muzzle incase it gets anxious. My girls were taught to hold their hands out palm side up and allow the dog to sniff their hand. Let the dog check you out... then I would tell them to pet the dog on the chest. Some dogs are threatened when you reach up and over their heads to pat them on the top of their heads or behind the ears. I think because they can't see your hand anymore. I also taught them not to go up and pat a dog from behind or on his back before it smells your hand and sees you there. If you startle a dog, their first reaction is to turn their heads towards whatever touched them. Sometimes they can hit you with their teeth, or nose by accident which can make a human feel the dog is trying to bite them. Some dogs will nip out of instinct if they were startled like this. Dogs eyes and mouths are very close together, in order for them to see you they present their teeth in the same motion as they turn to take a look. It is up to humans to ensure the dog does not feel threatened.

Lastly I told the girls to never fling their hands up in fear around a dog. A dog is a curious animal, and to fling your hands up and out of the way sometimes indicated to the dog you are taking something from them and they very likely will jump up at you to check out what you have.

KE a lot of this is very doggie interactive and up front and in your face kind of tactics. They may not be within your comfort level and that is understandable too.

Something else hun, if it really bothers you this fear, discuss it with your doctor... it is a fear that can be cured I bet and there are all kinds of techniques out there to help you.

I could never say I am an expert nor could I ever imagine what you feel when it comes to your fear but I can only say... not all dogs are out to get you.

Yes always be cautious around dogs I still am, and I have had dogs all my life and same with my girls.

I hope something out of this great long message might help you I don't know.

I know the fear can be beat, I know when my oldest daughter was chased down by a pair of loose shepherds they scared her so badly she peed her pants (she was 4) and I know that we just kept assuring her other dogs were not the enemy fortunate for her we had 2 dogs at the time but like yourself she has been threatened by large dogs and she was dam scared

I wish I could help you personally KE :( Nobody should be so terribly afraid of dogs.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Helen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Helen »

hi red, good thread to start.

i have two probs with my springer, now 7yrs old,

men and cars !!

he hates men, utterly despises them............ except my best friend, who he thinks is the best thing since someone invented swimming in muddy water :rolleyes:

he will think nothing of taking a crafty snap at a guy if he walks past, he tolerates the lads who live here cos he's got no choice.

he's even chased someone to have a go but thank heavens, he came back when i called him.

as for the cars, its like travelling with a manic barking machine. he's always been like it but this last two or three times, he's whipped himself into such a frenzy, i feared he would have a heart attack.

we've tried letting him sit in the car for a while ( not in the sun or with the doors shut before anyone raises a question ) he'll stay in there all day but as soon as you try to drive away, he starts.
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Thanks Valerie:D its a shame i dont know many other people with dogs here so i could go on a doggy playdate like you did. I am more or less doing what you say and try to take her out of the situation before it starts. It does seem to me to be a leash thing, as she does'nt react the same to an unleashed dog, and even wants to play with them:-3 oh well its not a huge problem considering how bad she was when we got her, so i will persevere aand maybe she will get even better still with time:)

Also thanks MInks as well, im not aware of any training schools nearby, but maybe i just have'nt looked properly. may be worth a try:D

Helen, when we first got Sheila she obviously wasnt used to cars, and she was horrific!!! barking really loud and screeching. IM afraid my husband turned round and screamed at her, she immediately lay down and shut up and has never done it since:o she was still wary for a while and we had to physically lift her into the car, but she absolutely loves it now:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Odie

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Odie »

I wish I had a dod, stupid cats!:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
Helen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Helen »

hi again kaz

ive tried sittting in the back with him but that dosnt work............ did hear somewhere if you yell at them, they think you're barking too:rolleyes: and that only makes em worse.

got to take him with me next weekend, its only a 2hr journey but OMG, we are stone deaf at the end of it !!!
RedGlitter

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by RedGlitter »

Val and Minks have some very good advice there, I think.

I would also not hesitate to ask your veterinarian about your dog's behavior, I think your vet should be your first step. That's where I always start with any problem or question.

I have been giving a lot of thought too, to the fear of dogs issue. I thought I could find some expert advice on what to do, but so far most of what I have found has been about retraining yourself through hynosis. Not a bad idea, but there must be others. I'm not laughing at anyone who is afraid of dogs. Dogs are everywhere and if you seize up the moment you see one, that must be a terrible way to feel. I've been raised with dogs and I feel comfy with most of them, but a few years back, I was walking past a neighboring house at night, and a shepherd and a large black dog with long fur, came running out into the road, one blocking me in front, the other nipping at the back of me, both growling and barking. I tried to continue walking and they wouldn't let me so I froze there with my flashlight, avoiding eye contact, until their commotion made their owners come out. It took about six or seven calls to get them away from me and the dogs came right back and tried to get me again. I still won't walk past that house even though the dogs seem to be gone. I won't walk anywhere in my neighborhood because there are loose dogs all over. Had I not had that incident, it wouldn't be a problem.

I think it's important to understand dogs' body language. How to read their ears and tail and behavior. If you know these things it will be easier for you because you may relax a little and you'll have an idea of what to expect. I'll be back with more.
RedGlitter

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by RedGlitter »

Helen, some dogs (and cats) just can't tolerate the movement of a car for some reason. If it's so bad that you fear he'll have a heart attack, I would ask the vet about some animal relaxants. A lot of people think tranquilizing a pet is a terrible thing but it's not. It takes the stress off both pet and owner.There are traditional tranquilizers and holistic, naturopathic treatments too. Bach's Flower Remedies come to mind. I would get something and try it out on a short ride before you take that 2 hour trip. It should calm him down so he can ride peacefully. Otherwise, I don't think I'd travel that far with him if he freaks out that badly.
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Helen;1009424 wrote: hi again kaz

ive tried sittting in the back with him but that dosnt work............ did hear somewhere if you yell at them, they think you're barking too:rolleyes: and that only makes em worse.

got to take him with me next weekend, its only a 2hr journey but OMG, we are stone deaf at the end of it !!!

oh im not saying you should shout at him:wah: you should have seen the look i gave hubby:wah:but he said im sorry i just couldnt have her making that much noise right in my ear while im trying to drive,,its just funny that it actually worked:thinking: The only thing i can think of is something i heard of where you actually teach them to bark,, or speak,, on command and then you can teach them to be quiet. you could try taking yummy treats he likes in the car and hold them to your chest till he quiets then say quiet and give him the treat, also at other times he barks too. i think you are supposed to give them the command for barking and in a more controlled way though,, you could try looking it up on google or something a proper site could explain it better:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Helen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Helen »

hi red,

i shall phone the vet tomorrow to see what he suggests, though im hoping i can leave him with my daughter ( the dog that is, not the vet :D ) i'll only be gone two days. last time i spent the whole two hours with my arm over the seat rubbing his chest, didnt do a lot of good and gave me a sore arm.
Helen

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by Helen »

kaz

if he sits on on my lap in the front,hes fine but A) thats not allowed and B) hes too darn heavey anyway !!
kazalala

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by kazalala »

Helen;1009457 wrote: kaz

if he sits on on my lap in the front,hes fine but A) thats not allowed and B) hes too darn heavey anyway !!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh i see,, well that why hes barking then ,, he wants to sit in the front on your lap:wah::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
RedGlitter

We now have a Dog Club!

Post by RedGlitter »

DOG BODY LANGUAGE with PHOTOS

This is what I was looking for! It would be kind of hard to post it all here so here are the links:

DOG 1

DOG 2

DOG 3

HUMAN SPACE INVADERS

Return to “News and Announcements”