Coffee: The New Health Food?

polycarp

Post by polycarp »

By Jon Herring

Checking out at the grocery store yesterday, I came across a tabloid headline that read, "Coffee Is Healthier Than Vegetables." The article referred to a Pennsylvania study which found that coffee is, by far, the number one source of antioxidants in the American diet. But that doesn't make it "healthier than vegetables." All it means is that Americans drink a lot of coffee ... and eat too few fruits and vegetables.

While it's true that coffee is rich in antioxidants, vegetables have far more nutritional value. In addition to antioxidants, they also have vitamins, minerals, fiber, and active phytochemicals. And though one or two cups may have some benefit, studies have linked excess coffee consumption to high blood pressure, increased risk of stroke, rheumatoid arthritis, and elevated cholesterol levels.

If you choose to drink coffee, here are some things to remember:

Use stevia instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners.

Do NOT use "non-dairy creamers." They are made with hydrogenated oil. Stick to cream or milk.

Buy organic coffee. Most commercial coffees are contaminated with pesticides.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
Bez

Post by Bez »

What a relief....I drink gallons of it....no sugar though...;)
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I remember hearing about how caffeine was bad for you, only to hear years later that moderate caffeine is GOOD for you. I've always felt that drinking one cup of regular was probably better for you than downing cups and cups of decaf.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I drink lots of it strong and black. :-3 still waiting for it to grow hair on my chest, though.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

The second cup gives me the jitters. I like coffee but it does not like me. :-1
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

[QUOTE=polycarp]By Jon Herring

Checking out at the grocery store yesterday, I came across a tabloid headline that read, "Coffee Is Healthier Than Vegetables." The article referred to a Pennsylvania study which found that coffee is, by far, the number one source of antioxidants in the American diet. But that doesn't make it "healthier than vegetables." All it means is that Americans drink a lot of coffee ... and eat too few fruits and vegetables.

This is a perfect example of how scientific evidence is distorted to fit the agenda of the distorter.

If coffee is the nimber one source of antioxidants, all that means is you aren't getting very many antioxidants.

The author was very astute here. You've got to read past the headline.

The health benefits of coffee are most pronounced in those with blood type A.

Those people tend to have less stomach acid needed to break down certain foods, and 1 or 2 cups per day actually serve as a digestive aid.

In moderation, in an otherwise healthy person, it's not terribly harmful.
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

Ah what a shame. If coffee is supposedly the new health food then I'm gonna end up missing out. Blasted coffee!! :D

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”