The Olden Days-------before Tv

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

One thing nice about being an old fart is that you get to enjoy the perspective of TV vs. RADIO shows.

I was a kid during WW2 and listening to The Lone Ranger, Gangbusters, I Love a Mystery & Captain Midnight on the radio was exciting. My favorite, INTERSANCTUM would open the show with a creaking door. I would turn off all the lights and the only light came from the green dial on the old Zenith radio. I would pretend that the green light was an evil eye. Imagination is a funny thing. We kids could actually imagine being in the program we were listening to.

Some of these radio shows are available online as free downloads.
theia

Post by theia »

Oh the wonderful days of the "wireless" in the 50s

Settling down to hear "Listen With Mother"

Two Way Family Favourites, The Navy Lark, Hancock's Half Hour...I still enjoy listening to plays on Radio 4. And the visuals are all our own.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

My Grandparents raised me and we didn't have a TV until the early 60's. We sure as heck listened to the radio though - after dinner. We also played outside a lot. Who remembers whiffleball? We played with old milk cartons and the broom. Kick the can. Hide and seek. See if you can get your brothers to jump off the garage onto the springs of a 1942 junk car:sneaky: king of the mountain.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

They play Mystery Theatre on the radio in some areas. Once in awhile Ill get lucky and catch it when I hop into bed. Its like reading a good book, you get to use your imagination.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

nvalleyvee wrote: My Grandparents raised me and we didn't have a TV until the early 60's. We sure as heck listened to the radio though - after dinner. We also played outside a lot. Who remembers whiffleball? We played with old milk cartons and the broom. Kick the can. Hide and seek. See if you can get your brothers to jump off the garage onto the springs of a 1942 junk car:sneaky: king of the mountain.
I remember the whiffle ball, and hula hoops and pogo sticks. We used our roller skates to go everywhere. Of course, we had a TV when I was about 5 or 6, never watched it too much. I still don't today, too many other things to do!
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i am a news junkie. but rather read a book. history v. news, a dichotomy for me.
cars

Post by cars »

Lon wrote: One thing nice about being an old fart is that you get to enjoy the perspective of TV vs. RADIO shows.

I was a kid during WW2 and listening to The Lone Ranger, Gangbusters, I Love a Mystery & Captain Midnight on the radio was exciting. My favorite, INTERSANCTUM would open the show with a creaking door. I would turn off all the lights and the only light came from the green dial on the old Zenith radio. I would pretend that the green light was an evil eye. Imagination is a funny thing. We kids could actually imagine being in the program we were listening to.

Some of these radio shows are available online as free downloads.

A few others come to mind also. The Shadow, The Green Hornet & kato,

Boston Blackie, Gangbusters. As well as Life of Riley, Stella Dallas, Beulah.

My Folks got our first TV (A "13" inch screen, B/W) for us around 1949ish, and there were like only 3 or so TV shows that I can remember. "The Milton Bearle Show", with Uncle Miltie & "The Texaco Show of Stars", with Red Skelton, "The Dinah Shaw Show", with Dinah. We were the only one's on our block in the neighborhood that had a TV, so many of our neighbors would drop by to watch the shows with us. Sometimes we had around 16 or 17 people, it was like a small movie house. Back then the shows were only like "15" minutes long, & the shows were not continuious, they were at scheduled times. So it still left plenty of time to read books, news paper, & play time. (Ah yes, "The good old days") :)
Cars :)
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Cars, Enjoyed all of the above. Fibber Magee and Molly was my favorite. I would wait every week for him to open that closet door then giggle like a nut. Loved the Squeaking Door.
scotty

Post by scotty »

My wife and I (yes I know very posh)stayed in a backpakers hostel in Oslo recently which didnt have televisions, my god we didnt know what to do with ourselfs, well actually we did , but after that we were lost:wah: lol

It`s true no wonder they had large familys back then.:wah:
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I love listening to Paul Harvey on WTAM. "The Rest of the Story" is fantastic! He has an amazing voice. If we ever have some sort of huge widespread panic inducing global disaster, I want Paul Harvey to be the one to break it to us. I bet it would sound almost good coming out of his mouth.
pina

Post by pina »

scotty wrote: My wife and I (yes I know very posh)stayed in a backpakers hostel in Oslo recently which didnt have televisions, my god we didnt know what to do with ourselfs, well actually we did , but after that we were lost:wah: lol

It`s true no wonder they had large familys back then.:wah:

Who needs TV.:D

scotty

Post by scotty »

pina wrote: Who needs TV.:D

LOL@ pina, :wah: :wah: :wah:
Bez

Post by Bez »

Who remembers this ?

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bez

Post by Bez »

What would todays kids think of this ???

Bez

Post by Bez »

I remember this so well....

Bez

Post by Bez »

did anyone have a muffin the mule puppet ?
scotty

Post by scotty »

Bez you are showing your age, it says 1935 on the song sheet, surely not.

I have heard of ovaltine but havent tasted it , whats it like ?
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Ah yes. I remember them both.

My Dad was killed in WWII and up until I was 6, we (Mom & I) lived with my grandparents in Cleveland, Ohio. We did not have TV, but we did have a radio. The radio sat on top of the fridge (which was still referred to as the icebox). My grandparent's home had a large kitchen which had an easy chair in it where my grandfather usually sat to keep company with my grandmother while she worked in the kitchen.

My grandfather rose early to work in the steel mills, and so would retire early. My fondest memories were of my grandmother ironing in the kitchen, me curled up in Grandpa's easy chair and Grandpa in bed, but still in conversation with us about the radio program we were all listening to.

Not only did I listen to the radio, I watched it. It was like by watching it I could cull some image from it to supplement that which I was hearing. Not a word was spoken by any of us during the program, but during a break, we would jabber about what happened and what we thought would be happening. It was such a peaceful, happy, secure time...............

Then my mother bought a TV. It was incredible. A movie theather right in the livingroom. Magic with a capital M! It opened up a whole new world......

In hindsight, what it actually did was isolate us. We sat absorbed and we did enjoy the programs, but the conversations stopped. There wasn't much to talk about -- cause we all had "seen" it. What more can one say about it. The interpretations were done for us; we did not have to imagine anything anymore........

Television was a great invention, but the radio of my youth is where my heart is, as nothing has come close to the experience of sitting in Grandma's kitchen watching the words come from that old Zenith.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Is that the lady F Craddick ?

I`m just a youngster you know lol
Bez

Post by Bez »

scotty wrote: Bez you are showing your age, it says 1935 on the song sheet, surely not.

I have heard of ovaltine but havent tasted it , whats it like ?

Not quite a senior citizen...born in 1946, but the Ovaltineyes were going into the '50s I think.

It tastes good...chocolaty, malty, made with hot milk....good bedtime drink.
scotty

Post by scotty »

It sounds nice, some of those winters were cold, I can remember as a child the window glass inside my bedromm covered with ice , Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Oh yes...the joys of double glazing.

I got married in 1966....we still had coal fires and a coke boiler then ...oh yes...and parrafin heaters
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Bez wrote: Not quite a senior citizen...born in 1946, but the Ovaltineyes were going into the '50s I think.

It tastes good...chocolaty, malty, made with hot milk....good bedtime drink.
Olvatine is good-got that lovely malt with the chocolate taste. It is a great drink for kids, used it with my kids so they would drink enough milk.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

actionfigurestepho wrote: I love listening to Paul Harvey on WTAM. "The Rest of the Story" is fantastic! He has an amazing voice. If we ever have some sort of huge widespread panic inducing global disaster, I want Paul Harvey to be the one to break it to us. I bet it would sound almost good coming out of his mouth.

He drools on himself too Steph.
I AM AWESOME MAN
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

You're just jealous that you're not a hot 70 year old yet. Don't worry, you'll get there.;)
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

In Ireland they never heard of Sex until Television was introduced in the 1960s. :wah:
Bez

Post by Bez »

capt_buzzard wrote: In Ireland they never heard of Sex until Television was introduced in the 1960s. :wah:

Yeh..yeh...yeh....;)

Return to “General Chit Chat”