Profiles

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Profiles

Post by Lon »

I know it's not a requirement to put any information in your Profile section when you join FG, but I wish it was. It would make it easier to respond to some posts if the poster listed at least some basic information. Yes, you can lie, but at least list your geographic location. Anyone agree----disagree?
lady cop

Profiles

Post by lady cop »

i agree Lon that it is nice to see some information on the profile, it gives you sort of a point of reference about the person. as it is, i just read several of a person's posts to get an image and idea of what they are about. as you said, info on the profile can be untrue.
Betty Boop

Profiles

Post by Betty Boop »

Lon wrote: I know it's not a requirement to put any information in your Profile section when you join FG, but I wish it was. It would make it easier to respond to some posts if the poster listed at least some basic information. Yes, you can lie, but at least list your geographic location. Anyone agree----disagree?

You can be vague, but it does help to know what country people are actually in!!
BabyRider

Profiles

Post by BabyRider »

Wow, Lon...are you psychic? I was thinking of this very thing yesterday, and came very close to posting a thread on it, as you have done. I couldn't get the wording down without sounding rude or nosey, though. You've managed to avoid that quite nicely.

I totally agree. An approximate age, a gender and a ballpark vicinity would be really nice. We're not asking for your social security or phone number number here, just some very basic info. Give us SOME clue as to who we're talking to.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Accountable

Profiles

Post by Accountable »

I agree, BR, you'd have sounded rude & nosey. :D I keed! I keed!

I think it would be nice, but a requirement??
chonsigirl

Profiles

Post by chonsigirl »

I do not agree, I like my listed location-everyone knows where I live anyway..........

I do not think it should be a requirement, just like putting down the year for your birthday or other info.

I don't want to change Nirvana!:yh_cry
BabyRider

Profiles

Post by BabyRider »

Let me clarify: I do not think any of it should be required, I just think it would be nice if folks voluntarily filled out the most basic of information.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Nomad

Profiles

Post by Nomad »

Who cares ? What does it matter ? This is what it is. The anonymity (say that one time slow) allows for a free flowing forum. If you want perspective on an individual put the time into that person.
I AM AWESOME MAN
BabyRider

Profiles

Post by BabyRider »

Nomad wrote: Who cares ? What does it matter ?
Apparently people do care, and it does matter. Otherwise, Lon would have gotten no replies to his thread.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Nomad

Profiles

Post by Nomad »

Obviously Im speaking for myself. Thats my take on it. Did you want to mince words or what ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
hotsauce

Profiles

Post by hotsauce »

I guess most people describe themselves in their many posts here...you just have to sort through it all.
cars

Profiles

Post by cars »

As was already pointed out, any info put into the files can be absolutely bogus. So can you really be sure you will get what you may think is a real perspective on someone in here???:-2 " A wise man said: Take things with a grain of salt!"
Cars :)
Peg

Profiles

Post by Peg »

cars wrote: As was already pointed out, any info put into the files can be absolutely bogus. So can you really be sure you will get what you may think is a real perspective on someone in here???:-2 " A wise man said: Take things with a grain of salt!"
When you read the posts, how can you be so sure the person is honest then either? Personally, I do like info in a profile. I have trouble remembering who is from where and if they are male or female. It's hell getting old!:wah:
ubetta

Profiles

Post by ubetta »

I think you are forgetting that many of us can't get into the profiles. I can't.

I can't get into the members list either. I haven't tried doing a pm in a while but at first I wasn't able to do that either. When trying any of those functions, it tells me I don't have permission.

So, in case anyone would like to know? I'm female, in the US, northeast Florida. :)
pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

ubetta wrote: I think you are forgetting that many of us can't get into the profiles. I can't.

I can't get into the members list either. I haven't tried doing a pm in a while but at first I wasn't able to do that either. When trying any of those functions, it tells me I don't have permission.

So, in case anyone would like to know? I'm female, in the US, northeast Florida. :)

Have you tried going into my settings, on the left hand side and clicking on edit my frofile. it should work from there.:-6

Nomad

Profiles

Post by Nomad »

And that used to trouble me but quite frankly Ive just learned to live with it. :-6
I AM AWESOME MAN
BabyRider

Profiles

Post by BabyRider »

It's not so much getting to know a person over time by their posts, it's just knowing if you're talking to a guy or a gal. And that they aren't 12.

I happen to like figuring people out over time by things they say and how they respond to certain topics, but I would like to know, male or female, and about how old, that's all.

For instance: I still don't know if spot was m or f. Pretty sure m, but then, there are times I was sure he was a chick. :yh_rotfl

Hey Arnold....Thanks!.....I think. :yh_wink :yh_rotfl
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

I agree with what you say BR. it's not always important where people come from more the sex they are and a rough guide to age. It helps when answering their posts.

I also agree with how Arnald describes you.....it is a comliment.

lady cop

Profiles

Post by lady cop »

well i want their driver's licenses :driving: :wah:
Accountable

Profiles

Post by Accountable »

BabyRider wrote: It's not so much getting to know a person over time by their posts, it's just knowing if you're talking to a guy or a gal. And that they aren't 12.

I happen to like figuring people out over time by things they say and how they respond to certain topics, but I would like to know, male or female, and about how old, that's all.

For instance: I still don't know if spot was m or f. Pretty sure m, but then, there are times I was sure he was a chick. :yh_rotfl

Hey Arnold....Thanks!.....I think. :yh_wink :yh_rotfl
Spot was an 8-year-old female genius dalmation. Her pic is still in her bio. :D
pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

Sorry LC, I left my license at home, want me go get it for you?

abbey

Profiles

Post by abbey »

BabyRider wrote: It's not so much getting to know a person over time by their posts, it's just knowing if you're talking to a guy or a gal. And that they aren't 12.

For instance: I still don't know if spot was m or f. Pretty sure m, but then, there are times I was sure he was a chick. :yh_rotflI cant tell you how many times i've gone through members previous posts just to find out what sex they are, it's so frustrating.:-5

I remember when Spot first started posting i asked what sex he was cos i assumed he was a she.
blossom

Profiles

Post by blossom »

I agree that it is interesting to know where in the world people are from but it is good to keep some sense of anonimity (just in case of stalkers). I can't get into profiles so I rely on the posts to give me a clue.
ubetta

Profiles

Post by ubetta »

pina wrote: Have you tried going into my settings, on the left hand side and clicking on edit my frofile. it should work from there.:-6

Well, well, well.... little tricks of the trade, I see. :D

Thank you very much! Works quite well!
pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

ubetta wrote: Well, well, well.... little tricks of the trade, I see. :D

Thank you very much! Works quite well!

No pasa nada.

pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

ArnoldLayne wrote: In case there was any confusion, I am Male :D

ME TOO!!!! :wah: I just look female :wah:

lady cop

Profiles

Post by lady cop »

pina wrote: ME TOO!!!! :wah: I just look female :wah:there's a name for that.:)
Accountable

Profiles

Post by Accountable »

A comedian once said "I think I am a woman caught in a man's body, but I'm a lesbian." :wah:
pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

Does that make me a man caught in a womans body but really gay.:yh_rotfl

lady cop

Profiles

Post by lady cop »

buncha perverts :rolleyes:
pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

ArnoldLayne wrote: And what does it make me cos if your a man , I find you terribly attractive :o

Gay

pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

I dare you Arnald..:wah:

pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

I told you not to tell, once acc reads this everyone will know.;)

Accountable

Profiles

Post by Accountable »

wha'?? Well I never!

At least not in public. :o
pina

Profiles

Post by pina »

Not guilty Arnold...but I know what acc is like he misses nothing.:)

Accountable

Profiles

Post by Accountable »

How'd we get here again?
actionfigurestepho

Profiles

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I agree about the profiles. I do like to know someone's age-ish. No, it doesn't "matter" in the scheme of things, but I'd feel like an idiot if I replied to a post that I thought was written by a teenager and was a little "you'll know when you get to be my age" and found out the person was actually older quite significantly : ) It just helps to give you a perspective. Of course I also like when people post photos. It's easier to remember people and their personalities when you have a little more info than just a screen name. Plus, the profile's a nice quick reference point.

As far as "internet stalking" goes, if soemone's going to stalk you, they're going to stalk you regardless of whether you put your year of birth or your state in your profile! It's not like you're listing the size of your underwear or something, although that might give me just a wee bit of a thrill.:sneaky:
ubetta

Profiles

Post by ubetta »

Underwear? We're supposed to be wearing underwear? Sheeeit. I knew I was underdressed!
lady cop

Profiles

Post by lady cop »

on another board i had someone stalk me, google my name and threaten me. i had to send his local police to his house and office. dumbass threatening a cop. you can never be too careful. this jerk got my address and my son's name.
Accountable

Profiles

Post by Accountable »

ubetta wrote: Underwear? We're supposed to be wearing underwear? Sheeeit. I knew I was underdressed!
eh?? *ears perk up*
actionfigurestepho

Profiles

Can I do that?
actionfigurestepho

Profiles

Yes! Ok, message about how it's possible to stalk people with nothing more than a screen name is DELETED! (For those who don't know how, you can do it under the "edit" function)
Nuthrday

Profiles

Post by Nuthrday »

Wow, is this much ado about nuthin? I finally ante'd up, paid my money, and have put up a profile...you might note that I've added 'snoop':p :p as one of my interests...when I can't see what someone looks like, don't know their voice, their mannerisms, I love being able to fall back on info like that. Makes it much more personal to me, and I would hope that a real name and address isn't part of that deal if you don't want it! I would never lie on something like that, but I'm not naive enough to think that many other people would have no problem telling big fat ones.

Return to “General Chit Chat”