trying to quit smoking

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
nvalleyvee

trying to quit smoking

Post by nvalleyvee »

This has got to be the most difficult thing I've ever done. After one week I am still cheating 2 cigs a day and those cigs do not give me any enjoiment......I just feel no high from smoking them and I need not to do it. Dang that head of addiction that says "have that sniggy" - just one won't hurt. When you decide to really quit - It is a battle.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Betty Boop

trying to quit smoking

Post by Betty Boop »

nvalleyvee wrote: This has got to be the most difficult thing I've ever done. After one week I am still cheating 2 cigs a day and those cigs do not give me any enjoiment......I just feel no high from smoking them and I need not to do it. Dang that head of addiction that says "have that sniggy" - just one won't hurt. When you decide to really quit - It is a battle.

Well Done for getting down to two a day!! Take it easy on yourself and then try to cut out one of those over the next week or so, then cut it out completely.

Good Luck :-4
l.plates

trying to quit smoking

Post by l.plates »

Hi

Yer I no the feeling, I tried giving up, a No Smoking Clinic gave me those dreaded Nicorette things replace your urge for a fag with this, makes it so easy I was told, yer like hell it did, the Nicorette is so strong it made me higher than a fag would, then I heard you might quit the fags but can become addicted to the nicorette. Dont work, but good on you to have got it down too only two, well done.
venus

trying to quit smoking

Post by venus »

Nvalley l am sure that you can do it.

I myself smoked pretty heavy for a number of years and when l decided to quit l did.

It does take time and everyone is different..

But as others have mentioned, l bet you would never have imagined being able to get by on only two a day. Yet you have done it....

You could always try taping your mouth up!:lips:

Or just remember that you are in control of it, not it of you.

Good luck hun :D
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
chrisb84uk

trying to quit smoking

Post by chrisb84uk »

I can't really give u much advice on this subject, but to keep staying strong, and wish u lots of luck in your goal to stop!! :-6
Peg

trying to quit smoking

Post by Peg »

You know those 2 will lead to 3, then 4. There's a man who comes in where I work. He claims to have quit smoking. He didn't. He just quit buying them and smokes everyone elses.:-5
Nomad

trying to quit smoking

Post by Nomad »

Ive been thinking about quitting lately as well. The damage we do is overwhelming. My problem is I dont have conviction yet, so it wont work.

Good luck. If you have a family your obligated I think.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

trying to quit smoking

Post by Accountable »

NV, just don't have that first one. If you can avoid the first one every day, you're done. The first one gives you permission for the second.
Valerie100

trying to quit smoking

Post by Valerie100 »

I have quit smoking! I used the patch. It does work, if you want it to. Rub the patch when you are dying for a smoke, and it releases more nicotine into your system. I always wore my patches on my hips. Follow the program, it works. Step down like it tells you to.

Drink water. Water helps to feel full and satisfied, and some say it lessens the urge to smoke.

Chew toothpicks.

Hold pens and pencils -- this is so true -- in your hand like a cigarette. It helps to take the edge off. Part of the smoking habit is the hand usage, believe it or not.

IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER: WHEN YOU ARE DYING FOR A SMOKE IT IS IN FACT YOUR BODY GETTING HEALTHIER!!! DO NOT GIVE INTO THE URGE TO SMOKE AND THE CRAVING WILL PASS. THE MORE YOU DO NOT GIVE INTO THE CRAVINGS TO SMOKE, THE LESS POWERFUL AND THE LESS FREQUENT THEY BECOME. PRETTY SOON, YOU WILL HARDLY EVER CRAVE A CIGARETTE!!!

REMEMBER: CRAVINGS THAT YOU PASS THROUGH AND DO NOT SMOKE = HEALTHIER YOU!!!

Save all of that money that you have spent on cigarettes and do something good for yourself, instead. Now that's money well spent.
OpenMind

trying to quit smoking

Post by OpenMind »

NV it sure is difficult. The battle's all in the mind. I've been trying since January. When the thought comes into my mind, I have to kick it straight out, otherwise I'm straight down the shop for some fags - and they're awful and I feel awful from the smoke and letting myself down.:-5

But don't let it stress you out, that makes it worse. Just try and take each one as it comes.

Imagine you've got a little demon on your shoulder nagging you to have a fag. The more you say no, the smaller the demon gets.

I had a smoke today. So, I'll do a bet with you. I bet I'll be telling you tomorrow night that I haven't had one fag between now and then. How about you?:-2
nvalleyvee

trying to quit smoking

Post by nvalleyvee »

I did really good for 5 days - I'm a smoking fiend today - I will go back to Jonesing tomorrow. I cannot believe you brought this up today - of all days - to let me know my weakness, THANK YOU. I will NOT quit trying to quit.....BTS on the other hand HAS QUIT.....
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
OpenMind

trying to quit smoking

Post by OpenMind »

Yep, I have days like those too. I've learnt though not to get stressed over it. It's like walking up a hill and tripping up. You graze yourself, brush yourself down, and get on climbing the hill.

As a point of interest, I've had several people tell me about a book by a geezer by the name of Alan Carr. Have you heard anything about it. The people who have told me about it swear by it. Apperently, just reading it helps you to give up. I'm going to see if I can find a copy if it's that good.

Rog
Bez

trying to quit smoking

Post by Bez »

I went to the 'quit smoking nurse' back in April and quit for 5 months using patches. It got harder and harder as time went by ....WHY ??? Sometimes I can go days without a fag and then ...bang....I've smoked loads....like tonight. I'm despairing about it but not giving up trying. I've tried all the tips and tricks as posted here. I find it's like dieting ...good days and bad. I feel particulalry low today...maybe that's why.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bez

trying to quit smoking

Post by Bez »

OpenMind wrote: Yep, I have days like those too. I've learnt though not to get stressed over it. It's like walking up a hill and tripping up. You graze yourself, brush yourself down, and get on climbing the hill.

As a point of interest, I've had several people tell me about a book by a geezer by the name of Alan Carr. Have you heard anything about it. The people who have told me about it swear by it. Apperently, just reading it helps you to give up. I'm going to see if I can find a copy if it's that good.

Rog

I'd be interested in this book. let us know the title when you find it .
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
OpenMind

trying to quit smoking

Post by OpenMind »

Bez wrote: I'd be interested in this book. let us know the title when you find it .
Will do Bez.
OpenMind

trying to quit smoking

Post by OpenMind »

Bez wrote: I'd be interested in this book. let us know the title when you find it .
The book is called "The Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently" by Allen Carr. Published by Penguin Books 1995.
nvalleyvee

trying to quit smoking

Post by nvalleyvee »

Bez wrote: I went to the 'quit smoking nurse' back in April and quit for 5 months using patches. It got harder and harder as time went by ....WHY ??? Sometimes I can go days without a fag and then ...bang....I've smoked loads....like tonight. I'm despairing about it but not giving up trying. I've tried all the tips and tricks as posted here. I find it's like dieting ...good days and bad. I feel particulalry low today...maybe that's why.

I'm with you on this one Bez and I'm going to get the book. I can go days with only one or just a couple of nicotine lozenges and then the stupid addiction rears its ugly head....

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”