Migraine

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
scotty

Migraine

Post by scotty »

Dont you just love em, I`v had this one for 2 days now.

It started when I went to Ikea, for some reason I always get one when I visit this store I think it has something to do with the lights, certain other shops do this too.

The symptoms i get are the flashing lights and blurred vision, numb hands , numb face and yesterday a first my tongue went numb some would say thats a good symptomLOL, also not forgeting the severe headache,it can be quite scary.

I`v been getting these for many years now and kinda know what to expect ,

The first time it happend to me I was at work working for a landscape company who also did tree felling , I was up this tree and felt a little dizzy them my face went numb, can you imaging being 30 ft up a tree and this happening luckily the guys on the ground managed to get me down safely, but it left me very shaken as I thought i was having a stroke or a seizure of some sort.

I headed straight for the doc who examined me and diagnosed MIGRAINE

These days I recognise the symptoms and try to carry some painkillers, but sometimes its easy to get caught out and I havent found a painkiller that really helps.

Do any other forum members suffer Migraine and if so what advice can they offer ?

Yours :-1
abbey

Migraine

Post by abbey »

Sorry to hear you had an attack Scotty, i'd definately steer clear of IKEA if i was you!

If i eat M&S Turkish Delight i have one for some reason, i think the key is recognising things that trigger them and avoid it like the plague.:)
scotty

Migraine

Post by scotty »

Yip I think I will avoid those shops that trigger my migraine abbey (darn great hotdogs at Ikea) lol

JAB its interesting what you say about stress I have a friend who gets one when he feels stressed out.
CARLA

Migraine

Post by CARLA »

I use to suffer with major MIGRAINES when I was younger. They have lessened as I grow older. I wouldn't be able to move period for most of the day, or days... :( awful.

Migraines can be triggered by almost anything you hear, smell, eat, or see. For me its lights, perfumes, and certain smells. So I went to my eye doctor and asked him if he could help me out in the visual area. He prescribed a very, very dark pair of sunglasses. I wear them everywhere I go outside, they have helped a lot. I even wear them in stores amazing what they do... I can shop without problems. Lights are a big trigger for my migraines so I eliminated most of it when I'm outside. Heck there are time I have to wear them at work, I work alot with computers so I look at the glaring screens way to much. I put on the shades and bingo I don't feel the pain and I look very cool..:cool:

The newer class of medicaton like IMATREX are also very helpful it preventing them most of the times.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

scotty

Migraine

Post by scotty »

Thanks Carla I will check Imatrex out to see if we get it in the uk.
CARLA

Migraine

Post by CARLA »

Scotty,

I had it spelled wrong it IMITREX..

If you suffer frequently from migraines, both pain relief and prophylactic measures may be used. For many years ergotemine was the only drug available to address severe migraine pain relief. Now there are newer, more effective drugs available - imitrex, Zoming, Maxalt, Amerg are some choices for relief of the pain of migraine. For headaches that occur three or more times a month, preventive treatment is often recommended. Drugs used to prevent classic and common migraines include methysergide, which counteracts blood vessels; propranolol, which stops blood vessel dilation and amitriptyline, an antidepressant.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

abbey

Migraine

Post by abbey »

Imigran (Sold under the brand name Imitrex in the US)

Its only available on prescription, but we do have it in the UK.
jasmund

Migraine

Post by jasmund »

Scotty-

-I PM'd you with some suggestions, dont give up I listed some medications that require a prescription but there is hope and help, the only thing is if you dont have medical prescription coverage I dont know if you can afford them, also use the compazine for nausea. I wish to discuss this more with you on the possibilities of what may be a co-morbitity underlying problem 2 things going on at once. Please pm me with a response and I will give you my e-mail.

-Also ask for free samples from your doctor, thats what they are there for.

-I will say a prayer for you,

Ps. My little boy 14 years old has had them since 3 years old, I can tell you what I do for him. Hang in their big guy.

-Jasmund
jasmund

Migraine

Post by jasmund »

-Oops,

One more thing, if worst comes to worst, and its not covered under your insurance, (You are sooooo goinga love me) My fiance is a pharmacist, and I am pharmacy tech, plus we have some friends that are drug reps, well, as long as we know what you are allergic to I can obtain some samples possibly and mail them if you cant get your insurance to cover them. Understand this is not pain medication but something that works at the root of a migraine, no controlled substance.

Take care, keep me posted, no one should have a migraine.

-jasmund
chonsigirl

Migraine

Post by chonsigirl »

I use inderol, have used it for migraines/heart probems for years. Ask your doctor what meds would be appropriate for you. One quick thing to do with migraines, if you aren't sick to your stomach, is caffeine. Those caffeine pills help, but I settled for diet coke anytime! No sugar, and give me that caffeine. Hope yours feels better soon.
rainbowsmiles

Migraine

Post by rainbowsmiles »

The symptoms i get are the flashing lights and blurred vision, numb hands , numb face and yesterday a first my tongue went numb some would say thats a good symptomLOL, also not forgeting the severe headache,it can be quite scary.

Have you had an MRI? You should. New research shows that many migraines occur because of small and unnoticeable strokes. I don't say this to scare you, just FYI (but it is most common in women). I had an MRI because of the many migraines I suffer but it turned out OK - thank heavens!

I lose vision when I get migraines. They start with the aura (so I get a mini warning) and then I lose vision. The pain is excrusciating so I'm stuck in bed for a day or two unable to move. When they first started I was being drugged with some heavy medication but I decided to check with my naturopath doc and he told me when I got the aura to take two extra strength tylenol and drink a can of coke quickly (sometimes two cans) and IT WORKS. I still have a dull, heavy feeling in my head afterwards but it is bareable compared to the pain I use to have.

My migraines are genetic. I have family members who end up in the hospital for days unable to deal with the pain and have to be drugged intravenously. :(
scotty

Migraine

Post by scotty »

Thanks for your advice Rainbowsmiles you certainly gave me food for thought.

I havent had a MRI but will bring it up on my next visit to the docs , it is kinda worrying although I understand it a little better these days.

Im interested in what you say about Coca Cola ,Chonsgirl also talked about this,

how do you think this works , is it because its a stimulant ?
valerie

Migraine

Post by valerie »

Yes, the coke works because of the caffeine shrinking the blood vessels.

I just got finished reading a very interesting book, you might try to find

it at your local library. It is called "All in my Head" by Paula Kamen.

She dealt with something called CDH... Chronic Daily Headache. Can you

imagine? For years. At least now finally there is more doctor interest in

the problem.

I used to have them quite frequently, never the vision problems but

sensitivity to sound, etc. and I have found a couple things that work

for me... one is to NOT be a "stoic" and think "Oh it will get better if

I eat something or go for a walk" WRONG!! When I very first think I'm

going to get one, I zap it with 2 Extra-Strength Excedrin. Again, the

caffeine.

You have to be careful though with "rebound headaches" and all that

though, too. Some things to try otherwise are avoiding whatever triggers

you personally have, like chocolate, aged cheese, bright lights, etc.

Some people have had some success with ice packs on the head, and

also a tight headband (never tried that one but I think it's the same

principle of constricting the blood vessels!) or sometimes a hot bath

(with ice pack still on your head!!)

The author I mentioned tried many things like massage, lavender oils,

accupressure, drugs... all with varying degrees of success.

There is evidence of a genetic link. My mom used to call them "sick

headaches" and they were pretty bad for her for many years.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

pina

Migraine

Post by pina »

I know how you feel with migraine I have been getting them since I was 15 it runs in the family...all the girls on my dads side of the family including my daughters get it.....I have had two aunties die of brain tumors after the doctors diagnosed migraine for 25 years. It panicked my sisters enough to go get brain scans....thankfully they are ok its just migraines they get.

I myself havn't been, my doctor showed me how to use brain over matter ( I think thats what its called ) anyway if you lay in a darkened room very quiet and welcome the pain rather than fight it...it eases to a dull ache, this gets easier and quicker with practice and then if you consentrate and move the pain to different parts of the head and eventually down to your nose, then you bring the pain out through your nostrils....lots of people laugh when I tell them I do this but it really does work. All you need is patience it can take a long time to learn how.

Hope you find the best way to relieve your pain.

valerie

Migraine

Post by valerie »

I wouldn't laugh at all. That author I mentioned in the previous post

talked about the same sort of thing. Learning to deal/live with pain is

great, I think. Much better than something that quits working after a while

or that you get addicted to!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

pina

Migraine

Post by pina »

I have tried painkillers in the past but like you say Val they stop working after a while and you start looking for stronger ones.

This works great for me.... there are times I do take stuff but not to often anymore. :)

Casey

Migraine

Post by Casey »

:yh_flower Hi Scott, I suffer from a TMJ disorder. If you don't know what this is, it's a severe joint problem in my jaw. I also get severe pains in my head, face, and jaw. Plus, i just recently was diognosed with arthritis in my neck. I am currently under going treatment. When my pain gets really bad my Dr. told me to alternate ice packs for 10 minutes, then heat for 10 minutes. It helps somewhat. You should also watch your diet. A lot of what we eat, and drink can contribute to our pain. Hope you feel better. Feeling your Pain, Casey
minks

Migraine

Post by minks »

scotty wrote: Dont you just love em, I`v had this one for 2 days now.

It started when I went to Ikea, for some reason I always get one when I visit this store I think it has something to do with the lights, certain other shops do this too.

I`v been getting these for many years now and kinda know what to expect ,

The first time it happend to me I was at work working for a landscape company who also did tree felling , I was up this tree and felt a little dizzy them my face went numb, can you imaging being 30 ft up a tree and this happening luckily the guys on the ground managed to get me down safely, but it left me very shaken as I thought i was having a stroke or a seizure of some sort.

I headed straight for the doc who examined me and diagnosed MIGRAINE

These days I recognise the symptoms and try to carry some painkillers, but sometimes its easy to get caught out and I havent found a painkiller that really helps.

Do any other forum members suffer Migraine and if so what advice can they offer ?

Yours :-1

You know I nearly missed this thread WOW that is awful, Those lights they use in stores is hell, we discovered these are making my daughter sick. Yep if out shopping too long past about an hour, she starts to get stomach cramps, pain in her tongue, sore neck and head and aching joints. She left her job at a gas station because standing nearly killed her every day, currently she works in a lovely family restraunt, with the nice soft dim lighting and on her feet endlessly and is as healthy as can be. So I really think if you wear glasses you should have tinted lenses if you are going to work under those lights.

More on the headache note, Here where we live we have frequent winds that drastically change air pressure making us about the highest percentage of Migrane dwellers as you can get. As for a fix, dark room, ultra hot showers. massage and perscribed pain killers and sleep in the dark. I don't get them often but that is all the remedies I know of.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
rainbowsmiles

Migraine

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Im interested in what you say about Coca Cola ,Chonsgirl also talked about this,

how do you think this works , is it because its a stimulant ? It is like Valerie said (the caffeine helps by constricting blood vessels). But be careful, I had a family member who took caffein pills because she thought it would have the same effect and for some reason it didn't work and it actually made the migraine worse. So, I'm still a bit puzzled on that!
minks

Migraine

Post by minks »

As well Scotty when you take any meds and wish for speedier results take a caffinated drink with the meds, this speeds it up through your system and you may experience faster results. Ok I think we need a DR on FG hehehehehe

― Mae West
rainbowsmiles

Migraine

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I didn't know that minks... thanks for the info!
minks

Migraine

Post by minks »

rainbowsmiles wrote: I didn't know that minks... thanks for the info!

Stumbled upon that one by accident, and some meds actually have caffine in them funny thing is I have seen meds with caffine in them for medical prolems that say avoid caffine (migranes and menstral cramps) so asked the dr why caffine in the pain pills, and she told me for faster absorbtion.

― Mae West
rainbowsmiles

Migraine

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Apparently (for migraines) some research has shown that people who use caffeine to cure their migraines or headaches can feel relief initially but then have a more severe rebound headache. I personally have never had that happen nor do I know anyone who uses caffeine for migraines to have rebound headaches. I wondered if the pharmascuetical (I'm a bad speller) companies are responsible for that research because if everyone ran around drinking coke for headaches it might hurt them a little bit :wah:

I will remember your advice today when I take midol :D
minks

Migraine

Post by minks »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Apparently (for migraines) some research has shown that people who use caffeine to cure their migraines or headaches can feel relief initially but then have a more severe rebound headache. I personally have never had that happen nor do I know anyone who uses caffeine for migraines to have rebound headaches. I wondered if the pharmascuetical (I'm a bad speller) companies are responsible for that research because if everyone ran around drinking coke for headaches it might hurt them a little bit :wah:

I will remember your advice today when I take midol :D

read the lable midol has caffine in it ahahaha

Do not get me started on the pharmaseutical industry.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

― Mae West
valerie

Migraine

Post by valerie »

minks wrote: As well Scotty when you take any meds and wish for speedier results take a caffinated drink with the meds, this speeds it up through your system and you may experience faster results. Ok I think we need a DR on FG hehehehehe

Just a cautionary note: I wouldn't suggest a caffeine drink with any and

all meds... some aren't meant to be absorbed faster. (Heart meds, etc.)

I quit all caffeine about 5 1/2 years ago except for those rare times when

I can tell I have a bad headache coming on.

There is also a new study out, let me see if I can find an article and I'll post.

Women can have blood pressure problems with Tylenol.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

scotty

Migraine

Post by scotty »

Thanks for your comments folk, I have picked up some really good tips on how to deal with my Migraines and will definitly be putting them to use the next time I have an attack.

Great to be part of the Garden

Thanks Again :-6
rainbowsmiles

Migraine

Post by rainbowsmiles »

read the lable midol has caffine in it ahahaha

Do not get me started on the pharmaseutical industry.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :confused:

I guess I learn something new everyday!

Thanks for the note Valerie!

I need to avoid caffeine because I have anxiety and caffeine only makes it worse. But I will drink 20 cans of coke if it means curing a migraine.

I have a question if anyone can help on this. I can't drink coffee because I vomit and get chills and my hair feels like it is standing on end. I also get very dizzy. But I don't feel any of those things when I drink cola... I was told I'm allergic to caffeine but it just dawned on me while we were discussing this that I'm NOT allergic to coca cola! :-3 Could it be something else in the coffee? I can drink decaf alright.

Return to “General Chit Chat”