Cracker Barrel

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
spot

Cracker Barrel

Post by spot »

I appear to be having an odd moment. My mind has turned to the 1970s I believe. I have a distinct recollection that I would choose, when shopping for cheese, to select a plastic-wrapped rectangular parallelepiped carrying the brand name "Cracker Barrel", and probably the words "extra strong" somewhere too. I looked when last I was in the local grocer and didn't find it on the shelf. The more I think, the more I suspect it has been missing from the cheese shelf for quite a while.

Google is convinced it has an American provenance but that was clearly not the case in the 1970s. Or even the 60s, though I was not responsible for buying food back then.

Perhaps those who can offer useful information might shine a light on my problem.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Re: Cracker Barrel

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:12 pm I appear to be having an odd moment. My mind has turned to the 1970s I believe. I have a distinct recollection that I would choose, when shopping for cheese, to select a plastic-wrapped rectangular parallelepiped carrying the brand name "Cracker Barrel", and probably the words "extra strong" somewhere too. I looked when last I was in the local grocer and didn't find it on the shelf. The more I think, the more I suspect it has been missing from the cheese shelf for quite a while.

Google is convinced it has an American provenance but that was clearly not the case in the 1970s. Or even the 60s, though I was not responsible for buying food back then.

Perhaps those who can offer useful information might shine a light on my problem.
It was a brand owned by Kraft so it would have been on sale in the UK - indeed, I remember it well.
LarsMac

Re: Cracker Barrel

Post by LarsMac »

That was quite a popular band in The States for decades.
A package of Cracker Barrel Cheese and some saltines were a common snack back in my trucking days.

Seems to still be popular in Canada.

https://crackerbarrelcheese.com/

There is a restaurant Chain in the US by the name

https://www.crackerbarrel.com/
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “The Kitchen”