Mene mene tekel upharsin

spot

Mene mene tekel upharsin

Post by spot »

I have, over the last half year or so, found my eyesight frustratingly hard work. This time last year it was adequate to my needs but the change has been unsettling.

More and more frequently I have found that when I look at a plain beige wall a couple of feet away, which has sufficient surface grain for my eyes to focus on it, it has appeared covered in writing. Initially I thought this was just my brain pattern-finding where no pattern existed. Then I wondered whether a damp sheet of paper had transferred words to the surface. The letters were borderline alphabetic letters but quite possibly non-alphabetic, and none made coherent words. I took a photo and there was just a plain wall with no writing pattern at all.

The second clue is my eye-test a couple of weeks ago, where the practitioner said come back in a few months, those eyes are both developing cataracts. As an alternative to the Lord writing dire threats and forecasts on the wall this is an improvement. I may well have been weighed and found wanting but not, perhaps, by means of indistinct calligraphy. Paries sine litteris manebat.

Testing further on my own time, one eye can still focus with an appropriate lens but the other offers just a blur at all distances and with all spectacles.

I'll update the thread as and when.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Re: Mene mene tekel upharsin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:07 pm I have, over the last half year or so, found my eyesight frustratingly hard work. This time last year it was adequate to my needs but the change has been unsettling.

More and more frequently I have found that when I look at a plain beige wall a couple of feet away, which has sufficient surface grain for my eyes to focus on it, it has appeared covered in writing. Initially I thought this was just my brain pattern-finding where no pattern existed. Then I wondered whether a damp sheet of paper had transferred words to the surface. The letters were borderline alphabetic letters but quite possibly non-alphabetic, and none made coherent words. I took a photo and there was just a plain wall with no writing pattern at all.

The second clue is my eye-test a couple of weeks ago, where the practitioner said come back in a few months, those eyes are both developing cataracts. As an alternative to the Lord writing dire threats and forecasts on the wall this is an improvement. I may well have been weighed and found wanting but not, perhaps, by means of indistinct calligraphy. Paries sine litteris manebat.

Testing further on my own time, one eye can still focus with an appropriate lens but the other offers just a blur at all distances and with all spectacles.

I'll update the thread as and when.

Not good, but once you've had the operation your sight will be better than it's been for years so that's something to look forward to.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:54 am Not good, but once you've had the operation your sight will be better than it's been for years so that's something to look forward to.
Call me Tiresias but I doubt I'm going to let some work-experience Bring Your Child To Work Day GCSE Biology retake experimenter poke a blunt needle into my iris.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:07 am
Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:54 am Not good, but once you've had the operation your sight will be better than it's been for years so that's something to look forward to.
Call me Tiresias but I doubt I'm going to let some work-experience Bring Your Child To Work Day GCSE Biology retake experimenter poke a blunt needle into my iris.
If my mother-in-law in her nineties could sit and have it done without batting an eyelid then I'm sure you can - after all, the alternative is going blind!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Mr T springs to mind
[media]
[/media]

Have to get him there somehow :D
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I will add as a disclaimer that I hated that programme, but my mother insisted on watching it every weekend.
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:58 pm I will add as a disclaimer that I hated that programme, but my mother insisted on watching it every weekend.
I've certainly never seen an episode, but there was a lifetime ban on ITV in the household as I was growing up. Started, possibly, by the arrival of Coronation Street, but that would be a guess.

Or, thinking about it, Alf Garnet.

ITV was singularly and invariably low-brow.

I note that the jewellery-obsessed gentleman, B.A., hit someone in the clip. That was also never allowed screen space, though it wasn't regarded as low-brow - toffs like Simon Templar also engaged in punching people. Punching people merely marked out those who lacked culture and failed to uphold moral values, though strangely enough my mother was never inherently anti-American.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:21 pm
Betty Boop wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:58 pm I will add as a disclaimer that I hated that programme, but my mother insisted on watching it every weekend.
I've certainly never seen an episode, but there was a lifetime ban on ITV in the household as I was growing up. Started, possibly, by the arrival of Coronation Street, but that would be a guess.

Or, thinking about it, Alf Garnet.

ITV was singularly and invariably low-brow.

I note that the jewellery-obsessed gentleman, B.A., hit someone in the clip. That was also never allowed screen space, though it wasn't regarded as low-brow - toffs also engaged in punching people. Punching people merely marked out those who failed to uphold moral values though strangely enough my mother was never inherently anti-American.
It was an awful show, my mother would be hooting with laughter at it whilst my Dad and I would be rolling our eyes whilst playing draughts or rummy - or doing my homework.
I didn't realise until I watched that clip and a couple of others, how violent it was. It sometimes seems they knocked him out with a punch, or weapon, to get him on an aeroplane. All I remember is they would drug him to get him to sleep then put him on the plane, and each and every time he'd always wake up at the right moment. I've just remembered my Dad tutting at Mother's choice of programmes. I bet you tutt too.

Channel Four, Mother banned that, so I watched it in secret.

Return to “Health Wellness”