Effective central government

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Effective central government

Post by spot »

There's a dithering lack of action on the part of local councils which was quite definitely going to end with the scale of catastrophic failure last seen at the Aberfan disaster in 1966.

Someone at the Department of Education issued new advice today, one week before the opening of the new school year, ordering the closure of every school building in the country which incorporates Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete roofing material. It will be extremely inconvenient and disruptive. It is also rare instance of someone in authority taking a decisive step before another catastrophic construction failure occurs. Whoever forced that policy change through should get a knighthood and the nation's thanks. No council has done anything of the sort, and the continued use of the buildings for years to come before remediation would have been inevitable.

I don't think anyone in either local or central government can step back from this now it's been announced, and I don't believe any NHS hospital can keep any building open which has the same material problem. From today, the death of anyone in a collapse due to RAAC in a public building will be an immense scandal. Nobody can now say it couldn't have been predicted.

In an escalation of the schools building safety crisis, the Department of Education has issued new advice – believed to have happened as recently as Thursday – stating that regardless of the assessed risk of a building made using reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete (RAAC) blocks, such buildings should be “taken out of use and mitigations should be implemented immediately”.

Official communications seen by the Guardian acknowledge that “this may come as a shock and is likely to cause disruption” but say “the safety of pupils, students and staff is our priority”.

The DfE declined to comment on claims that the number of schools with buildings using the problem material was above 100. The department is understood to be planning to make a statement imminently and education unions said they had been told that a formal announcement was due on Thursday afternoon.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... k-concrete

This is from the Condition of school buildings report of The National Audit Office

Since summer 2021, DfE has recognised the significant safety risk across the
school estate – its corporate risk register shows as ‘critical and very likely’ the risk
that building collapse or failure could cause death or injury. This would mean the
collapse of one or more buildings, causing serious harm alongside public concern
about the safety of schools, and widespread school closures or pupils being
withdrawn. DfE considers that insufficient capital funding to address structural
issues, and the condition of some buildings at the end of their initial design life,
contribute to the severity of the risk.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Re: Effective central government

Post by spot »

Claude-2 is a very competent conversation AI. It has drafted this template for any concerned parent wanting a precise statement from their school head.

Here is a draft letter to send to schools regarding RAAC inspections and remediation:

Dear [Headteacher/Principal],

I am writing to inquire about the status of reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete (RAAC) at [School Name]. As you may be aware, the government has identified RAAC as a potential structural risk in some schools, and the Department for Education has advised that school buildings containing this material should be immediately closed until proper safety inspections and any necessary remediation work can be completed.

Has [School Name] been inspected for the presence of RAAC? If so, did the inspection detect any RAAC materials? Has any remediation or reconstruction work been done following the detection of RAAC? If [School Name] has not yet been inspected for RAAC, do you intend to allow students and staff on the premises before an inspection is conducted?

The safety of students and staff should be the top priority. I understand this situation may be disruptive, but it is critical that any buildings found to contain RAAC do not reopen until engineers have verified their structural integrity. Please advise on the status of RAAC at [School Name] and your plans moving forward. I appreciate your attention to this important matter.

Sincerely,
[Your name]
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Re: Effective central government

Post by Betty Boop »

Are you sending that anywhere, then?

Return to “Current Political Events”