Developing: Prigozhin listed as passenger in fatal plane crash

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Developing: Prigozhin listed as passenger in fatal plane crash

Post by spot »

Perhaps he annoyed someone.

And some from British lawmaker Alicia Kearns, chair of parliament’s foreign affairs committee:

The speed at which the Russian Govt has confirmed Yevgeny Prigozhin was on a plane that crashed on a flight from Moscow to St Petersburg should tell us everything we need to know.

Reports Russian Air Defence shot down the plane suggests Putin is sending a very loud message.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ned-moscow

It's difficult to think of the chap as anything other than uncultured. At least we no longer have to listen to his self-serving bombastic social media announcements.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Re: Developing: Prigozhin listed as passenger in fatal plane crash

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:04 pm Perhaps he annoyed someone.

And some from British lawmaker Alicia Kearns, chair of parliament’s foreign affairs committee:

The speed at which the Russian Govt has confirmed Yevgeny Prigozhin was on a plane that crashed on a flight from Moscow to St Petersburg should tell us everything we need to know.

Reports Russian Air Defence shot down the plane suggests Putin is sending a very loud message.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ned-moscow
Killing 10 people by shooting down their plane is not usually considered to be an acceptable solution when the leader of a civilised country has been annoyed by one of the passengers.
It's difficult to think of the chap as anything other than uncultured. At least we no longer have to listen to his self-serving bombastic social media announcements.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:35 am Killing 10 people by shooting down their plane is not usually considered to be an acceptable solution when the leader of a civilised country has been annoyed by one of the passengers.
I would not disagree with that at all. Any extrajudicial killing by any nation state is deplorable, whether it involves the pointless death of Yevgeny Prigozhin or the pointless deaths of Usama bin Laden or Saddam Hussein or Muammar Gaddafi. In every case there is more to be learned from a trial then there is from an extrajudicial killing and the assumption in each case is that the government responsible for causing the death is preempting the dissemination of information during a legal process.

I have every confidence that a plane frequently used by Yevgeny Prigozhin was deliberately destroyed in a crash that killed everyone on board. Ten names have been released. I'm prepared to believe the report as far as the three crew are concerned. I have no idea who else might have died though, nor how anyone would expect to have been accurately informed yet, nor even who might have ordered the crash or caused it to happen. The idea of believing one reported tale over any other seems rather silly, there are far too many interested parties adding tweets and briefing news outlets. Yevgeny Prigozhin might be dead or he might not, but either way at least we no longer have to listen to his self-serving bombastic social media announcements.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

As an aside it is perhaps a toss-up, now that we appear to have reached full time in both their careers, to evaluate whether Prigozhin or Simon Mann was the ghastlier example of humanity at its worst, but I think the Russian won hands down on practical effectiveness. I just thought I'd throw that in while the opportunity presents itself.

A Kremlin spokesperson has dismissed claims of official involvement in the crash as "a complete lie". I do not think there is a single political spokesman for any head of state whom I would believe in these circumstances except possibly from Wellington, but most definitely not from Moscow.

What does seem more and more unlikely is the suggestion that a missile was involved in the crash. It was supported initially by some French aviation expert who swore on his mother's grave that it could only have been a missile but he stopped giving interviews today. I think the point of "missile" was to throw the blame squarely on the Russian military. If you merely blow the tail off with a sealed wine crate it's down to anyone with access to the plane on the ground and a handmade altimeter circuit.

The fact that Prigozhin had two Embraer executive jets flying at the same time almost within view of each other prior to the crash is presumably a coincidence, though not one that could conceivably have been arranged by Russian intelligence.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:57 amThe fact that Prigozhin had two Embraer executive jets flying at the same time almost within view of each other prior to the crash is presumably a coincidence, though not one that could conceivably have been arranged by Russian intelligence.
And that piece of "Prigozhin had" disinformation has now been dismissed too, apparently.
Russian media, mainly associated with the Wagner group’s Telegram channel, Grey Zone, had linked a second business jet with the tail number RA-02748 with the mercenary group, and had reported that it was also in the air at the time of the crash.

[...] “Neither the plane itself nor its passengers are related to Wagner and never have been,” Jetica’s CEO Sergey Trifonov told Reuters.

This plane had not been rented out, Trifonov said, though he declined to say who its owner was.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... in-october
So that makes the matter pretty much irrelevant. I only mention the retraction to keep the thread clean.
spot

Post by spot »

Russia’s investigative committee has confirmed that the Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin was killed in a plane crash.

The committee said on Sunday that after forensic testing, all 10 bodies recovered at the site of the crash had been identified, and their identities “conform to the manifest”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... e-confirms

That's alright then. All they need now is to work out why the plane hit the ground.

Return to “Current Political Events”