The second Test

Discuss all types of sports.
spot

The second Test

Post by spot »

I tuned in to the radio commentary on the final day of the second test match against Australia this afternoon.

There has never been a more embarrassing crowd in the history of the game. It was akin to a drink-fueled grudge soccer match between Celtic and Rangers, there was more personally directed booing than anything else. If cricket can get that far from its roots then it should close up shop and sell the grounds for housing. I have no idea why the stewards didn't clear swathes of the crowd until the remainder shut up and clapped quietly at appropriate moments with no verbal interjections, like they're meant to.

There's a contract between spectators and the ground, and that contract is based on civil behaviour. Today it was torn up by rowdy yahoos.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Re: The second Test

Post by G#Gill »

Could it be because of the availability of alcoholic drink ? I would think that has a great deal to do with such hooligan behaviour.

I can remember a Test Match I attended with a friend of mine from school. It was at Trent Bridge, Nottingham and was against the West Indies (about the time Sobers got 6 sixes in an over). My friend and I spent more time laughing and enjoying the banter and hilarious activities of the West Indies fans behind us than we did the actual cricket. What a wonderful sense of humour they have ! The crowd behaviour has definitely sunk to a very low low now. It did used to be a 'gentleman's sport' once upon a time.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Re: The second Test

Post by spot »

There's a scandalous comment from the Prime Minister's spokesman today:
Australia’s actions in Ashes Test not in the spirit of cricket, says Rishi Sunak

Spokesperson says PM agrees with Ben Stokes about Jonny Bairstow’s dismissal at Lord’s

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... ishi-sunak

Every last one of the England team have behaved the same over the years, they do not have clean hands in this matter.

It was Bairstow, the England wicket keeper, who was dismissed on Saturday. Just the day before, Bairstow the England wicket keeper had tried to do exactly the same to one of the Australian batsmen - knocking the wicket down after the batsman stepped beyond the crease having tapped his bat down to indicate he was in before taking a small stroll. One day difference, and that sanctimonious publicity seeker Rishi Sunak is pandering to England's paleolithic drunkards in the crowd with sycophantic drivel. It's disgraceful. No Prime Minister should ever stoop so low. https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/it-a ... ver-144678 is a reminder of how underhand the England team could get when it felt inclined, I remember the occasion vividly.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”