Ukraine and Russia

LarsMac

Re: Ukraine and Russia

Post by LarsMac »

Then it wobbled in the mid-70s, went a bit Marxist, the Russians went in to prop up the government,...
Um, I knew a family in the early 80's who managed to get out after the Russians came to "Prop up" the government. That's now how they described the Soviet incursion, at all.

If Bush Jr. had kept to himself, the Afghanis would have found their way out of the mess the Russians left.

I won't bother discussing Russia vs. USA. Both of them have been in a pissing contest since the days of Khrushchev, and used the little guys of the world as pawns in their game ( game that the US learned to play from the British), which, from what I have seen in the last twenty years, China is going to win.
Keep watching. Vlad's going to get sucker-punched by his newfound friends in the East pretty soon.
Oh, and China is buying up a boatload of farmland in the Americas.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I think if I were China I'd buy Canada. Lots of potential, Canada.

In terms of who had the best theatrics, Khrushchev and his shoe at the UN wins hands down. It wasn't even his own shoe, he took it from one of his aides.

There was a time when a lot of nations tried hard to sublimate warfare into the Olympic Games, but then the Russians kept getting banned so that idea faded. It was a good idea, and we all got to stare amazed at the East German female weightlifters. I'm convinced my orientation was severely warped by events in the weightlifting sixties.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hiya all. Hope everybody is OK.

I wonder what Pootin has in mind for those nuclear missiles he is housing in another country ? I am convinced that the bloke is a sandwich short of a picnic, and also that he has probably not got long to live (with a possible life-threatening illness), so he possibly wants to leave this mortal coil with a huge bang and should there be any survivors, he will always be remembered !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:55 pm Hiya all. Hope everybody is OK.

I wonder what Pootin has in mind for those nuclear missiles he is housing in another country ? I am convinced that the bloke is a sandwich short of a picnic, and also that he has probably not got long to live (with a possible life-threatening illness), so he possibly wants to leave this mortal coil with a huge bang and should there be any survivors, he will always be remembered !

That makes two countries stocking Russian missiles?

What does the West have deployed in Europe this year. Let's see...
U.S. tactical nuclear weapons remain at six bases in five NATO member countries, Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and Turkey. The UK and France have their own nuclear forces and no longer host U.S. weapons.

https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/nuclear-we ... eployments

Go on, remind me - which countries have a history of using these things so far against civilian populations? Russia? No, can't find anyone claiming that.

So. Just America then?

America, like Russia, refuses to recognize the International Criminal Court. With good reason.

Here you are Gill - this is my most recent small contribution to world peace: https://commonpeople.uk/index.php?title=Defence - specifically Paragraph 4.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

To answer Gill's more general question "I wonder what Pootin has in mind", a "Concept of the Foreign Policy of the Russian Federation" was published yesterday: "APPROVED by Decree of the President of the Russian Federation No. 229, March 31, 2023" - it's published in various languages including English at https://mid.ru/en/foreign_policy/fundam ... s/1860586/

Paragraph 8, if I may be allowed to quote it here in full:
The changes which are now taking place and which are generally favourable are nonetheless not welcomed by a number of states being used to the logic of global dominance and neocolonialism. These countries refuse to recognize the realities of a multipolar world and to agree on the parameters and principles of the world order accordingly. Attempts are made to restrain the natural course of history, to eliminate competitors in the politico-military and economic spheres, and to suppress dissent. A wide range of illegal instruments and methods is being used, including the introduction of coercive measures (sanctions) in circumvention of the UN Security Council, provocation of coups d'état and military conflicts, threats, blackmailing, manipulation of the consciousness of certain social groups and entire nations, offensive and subversive actions in the information space. A wide-spread form of interference in the internal affairs of sovereign states has become the imposition of destructive neoliberal ideological attitudes that run counter to traditional spiritual and moral values. As a result, the destructive effect extends to all spheres of international relations.

I'd have felt quite pleased if I'd managed to write that myself, it's a pretty good summary of the last decade. And if anyone erects a memorial to PNAC and Tony Blair, I hope they carve "destructive neoliberal ideological attitudes that run counter to traditional spiritual and moral values" in very large letters near the top.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

While I don't disagree with a lot of that, I am concerned that it comes from Putin.
It's a common rhetorical slant for those who would be King.
I could imagine Trump, or a number of other potential depots emitting such blather to justify their complete disregard for the rule of law.

It ain't right, no matter who is saying it, but Ol' Vlad has the missiles to back it up.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I offer this ChatGPT conversation to the thread. GPT4 has currently no knowledge of any event beyond September 2021, I think it makes a fair fist of things. It definitely steers an impartial path.

Me: You are a strategic advisor to the government of Ukraine. A year ago, Ukraine was invaded by Russian forces who immediately occupied the eastern provinces of Ukraine totaling 17% of the country's area. Since then, Ukrainian forces have held all Russian attacks in check. Russian casualties are estimated at 250,000 dead and injured, Ukrainian losses at 90,000. Summarize all reasonable outcomes that could be interpreted as a victory for Ukraine.

GPT: As a strategic advisor to the government of Ukraine, I would consider the following scenarios as potential victories for Ukraine:

Diplomatic Resolution: Ukraine and Russia reach a diplomatic agreement, possibly through international mediation, which leads to Russia's withdrawal from the occupied territories. The agreement could involve security guarantees, autonomy for certain regions, and a commitment to political dialogue, resulting in the restoration of Ukraine's territorial integrity.

Military Stalemate: The ongoing military stalemate eventually forces Russia to reconsider its position. Faced with mounting casualties and international pressure, Russia may withdraw its forces from the occupied territories and agree to negotiate a peace settlement with Ukraine. This outcome would require sustained Ukrainian military resistance and continued support from international partners.

Incremental Territorial Recovery: Ukrainian forces gradually push back Russian troops and regain control of key areas in the occupied territories. This may involve a combination of military pressure, sabotage operations, and local uprisings against Russian forces. While this scenario would not result in the immediate withdrawal of Russian forces, it could create favorable conditions for negotiations and a long-term resolution.

International Intervention: A coalition of international forces intervenes to support Ukraine, forcing Russia to withdraw from the occupied territories. This scenario could involve military assistance, logistical support, or even direct intervention from NATO or other regional powers. However, this option carries significant risks and would require strong international consensus.

Economic and Political Pressure: Continued economic sanctions, diplomatic isolation, and political pressure from the international community eventually force Russia to reconsider its actions and withdraw from the occupied territories. This scenario would require sustained international support and coordinated efforts to impose economic costs on Russia.

Popular Unrest in Russia: Growing discontent among the Russian public, fueled by the human and economic costs of the war, leads to widespread protests and unrest. Under internal pressure, the Russian government decides to withdraw its forces from Ukraine and seek a negotiated settlement.

Each of these scenarios carries its own risks and uncertainties, and achieving a victory for Ukraine would require a combination of diplomatic, military, and economic efforts.

Me: What might qualify as a credible security guarantee?

GPT: A credible security guarantee is a commitment by one or more countries to protect another country's sovereignty, territorial integrity, or political independence against external threats. To be considered credible, a security guarantee must have the following characteristics:

Clear and unambiguous commitments: The guarantee should outline specific obligations, conditions, and expectations for all parties involved. This can include military support, intelligence sharing, and political backing in the event of an external threat.

Strong legal basis: A security guarantee should be formalized through binding treaties, agreements, or legal frameworks, which solidify the commitments made by the parties involved.

Demonstrated capacity and willingness to act: The countries providing the security guarantee should have the military, economic, and political resources necessary to uphold their commitments. Additionally, they should have a track record of honoring their obligations in similar situations.

Broad international support: A credible security guarantee is more likely to deter potential aggressors if it is backed by a coalition of countries or supported by influential international organizations such as the United Nations or NATO.

Regular communication and cooperation: Ongoing dialogue, joint exercises, and cooperative initiatives among the countries involved can help build trust, enhance interoperability, and demonstrate a collective commitment to upholding the security guarantee.

In the context of Ukraine, a credible security guarantee could involve one or more of the following elements:
  • A mutual defense pact with NATO or individual NATO member states, formalizing their commitment to Ukraine's defense against external aggression.
  • Enhanced partnerships and military cooperation with regional powers such as the European Union or individual European countries.
  • A United Nations Security Council resolution endorsing the security guarantee and authorizing collective action in case of aggression against Ukraine.
  • A long-term commitment to providing military, economic, and political support to Ukraine, including military assistance, training, and intelligence sharing.
  • Regular joint military exercises and security consultations between Ukraine and its security partners, demonstrating their commitment to mutual defense.
A credible security guarantee would require sustained commitment and effort from both Ukraine and its partners to deter potential aggressors and ensure the country's long-term security and stability.

Me: Discuss the probable Russian response to any such security guarantee being made by any third party nation.

GPT: If a third-party nation or coalition provides a security guarantee to Ukraine, the Russian response will depend on the specific circumstances and the nature of the guarantee. However, some probable Russian reactions include:

Diplomatic protests and opposition: Russia may vehemently oppose any security guarantee for Ukraine and argue that it infringes on its sphere of influence, threatens its national security, or violates existing agreements. This opposition could take the form of diplomatic protests, public statements, and efforts to block or undermine the guarantee in international forums.

Military posturing and escalation: In response to a perceived security threat, Russia may increase its military presence along its borders with Ukraine or in occupied territories, engage in military exercises or provocations, or even escalate the conflict in order to test the resolve and credibility of the security guarantee.

Intensification of hybrid warfare: Russia might resort to covert tactics, such as cyberattacks, disinformation campaigns, or support for separatist movements within Ukraine, to destabilize the country and undermine the effectiveness of the security guarantee without directly provoking a military confrontation.

Strengthening alliances and partnerships: Russia could seek to counterbalance the security guarantee by bolstering its own alliances and partnerships, such as strengthening ties with China, Belarus, or other regional actors. This may involve increased military cooperation, economic assistance, or diplomatic support.

Engaging in negotiations: If Russia perceives that the security guarantee has significantly shifted the balance of power or increased the costs of continuing the conflict, it might be more inclined to engage in negotiations or seek a diplomatic resolution. However, this would likely come with demands and conditions that serve Russia's interests.

Exploiting divisions among third-party nations: Russia may attempt to exploit differences among the nations providing the security guarantee, using diplomatic pressure, economic incentives, or other means to weaken the cohesion and effectiveness of the guarantee.

It is important to note that Russia's response to a security guarantee for Ukraine would likely involve a combination of these actions and be influenced by various factors, such as the specific details of the guarantee, the level of international support, and the perceived willingness of the guaranteeing nations to follow through on their commitments.

Me: Please quote the most recent occasion in your knowledge base when any Kremlin source spoke positively about either Perestroika or Glasnost.

GPT: As my knowledge base extends up until September 2021, the most recent occasion in which a Kremlin source spoke positively about either Perestroika or Glasnost is not immediately available. Perestroika (restructuring) and Glasnost (openness) were policies introduced by Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev in the mid-1980s to reform the Soviet Union's political and economic systems.

It is important to note that the current Russian government, under President Vladimir Putin, has a complex relationship with the Gorbachev era and its policies. While some figures may acknowledge the positive intentions behind Perestroika and Glasnost, the general sentiment among the Russian leadership is that these policies contributed to the dissolution of the Soviet Union and a period of political and economic turmoil in Russia during the 1990s.

As a result, contemporary Kremlin sources may not often speak positively about Perestroika or Glasnost in public statements, given the perceived association with the Soviet Union's collapse and the subsequent difficulties faced by Russia.

Me: I recognize the essential truth of those observations but I would still be interested in you finding such a quote.

GPT: My apologies for not providing a specific quote earlier. While it's challenging to find a recent instance of a Kremlin source speaking positively about Perestroika or Glasnost, one relatively recent example is from an interview with then-Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev in 2011. Medvedev was discussing the importance of political competition and modernization in Russia. In this context, he mentioned Gorbachev's reform policies:

"In the middle of the 1980s, Mikhail Gorbachev launched his policies of Glasnost and Perestroika, and many people's lives changed dramatically as a result. Those changes would not have been possible if the country's leadership had not sought to modernize the political and economic system."

While this statement does not directly praise Perestroika or Glasnost, it acknowledges the impact they had on people's lives and the intentions of the Soviet leadership to modernize the political and economic systems. It is important to note that Medvedev's views may not necessarily reflect the broader sentiment within the Kremlin or the current Russian government, especially considering the time that has passed since this statement was made.

Me: Thank you for the discussion, your views have been interesting.

GPT: You're welcome! I'm glad you found the discussion interesting. If you have any more questions or would like to discuss further topics, please feel free to ask. I'm here to help!
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:49 am Incremental Territorial Recovery: Ukrainian forces gradually push back Russian troops and regain control of key areas in the occupied territories. This may involve a combination of military pressure, sabotage operations, and local uprisings against Russian forces. While this scenario would not result in the immediate withdrawal of Russian forces, it could create favorable conditions for negotiations and a long-term resolution.

This, presumably, is what is currently under way in Eastern Ukraine at the moment.

We'll come back to the result in a few months presumably. I wonder though, whether anyone here actually thinks the current front line is going to shift materially between now and then. Or are we in the Somme / Passchendaele territory this year - is this a battlefront that is simply immovable. And if it is, why on earth are the Ukrainians attacking an obviously in-depth well-constructed defensive line?

What was learned about attacking a line, back a hundred years ago, is that if you manage to penetrate it you become surrounded on three sides and the only way out is back where you came from. The attack, the being surrounded and the trying to withdraw are all shockingly expensive in the lives of the attackers. Go and ask Douglas Haig, not that it bothered him much at the time.

Commenting on the events around Mala Tokmachka in an update in his Substack account, Phillips P O’Brien, professor of strategic studies at the University of St Andrews, suggested that such losses were to be expected because of the nature of the fighting.

“It’s clear that this operation will take a while. Ukraine is trying to do something that has not been successfully accomplished (perhaps ever) before. They are trying to execute a wide-scale offensive with the use of armoured vehicles without air supremacy against an entrenched enemy that possesses a large supply of defensive weaponry.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... challenges
spot

Post by spot »

I've only just woken up so excuse me if I sound confused, but is a military coup in progress in Russia?

"Russia-Ukraine war live: Putin says those behind ‘armed rebellion’ will be punished; Wagner chief says he’s in Rostov military HQ "
Yevgeny Prigozhin says in a new video message that all military sites in the Russian city of Rostov-on-Don are under the Wagner mercenary group’s control, Reuters is reporting.

The Wagner chief also says in the video, which was posted to Telegram, that he and his men are in the southern district military headquarters in Rostov-on-Don.

Prigozhin says that does not impede Russia’s conduct of what it calls a “special military operation” in Ukraine.

The Guardian has not been able to verify his claims.

Updated at 06.19 BST
8m ago
08.08 BST

Putin says in his address to the nation that as Russian president and commander in chief “I will do everything possible to defend my country”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... be-stopped

I can't imagine Mr Prigozhin surviving as far as August then. What an extraordinary piece of nonsense. I can only assume he's at least tried to talk other official military commanders into agreeing to join in after a few days. He's definitely got himself into the history books though. Military units have been deployed across Moscow for the first time in thirty years, and the Northbound motorway from Rostov-on-Don is blocked. The traditional response to this sort of thing in Russia would be to liquidate that Wagner Group and its entire force complement in the shortest time possible, preferably by firing squad - I can't see any good reason not to.

We used to have a military outfit like the Wagner Group in England back around 870CE. We called them the Vikings.

This might even be the first attempted coup in over half a century which hasn't involved American Intelligence.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:20 am I've only just woken up so excuse me if I sound confused, but is a military coup in progress in Russia?

All over - I've just woken up again, I expect you can tell. Nothing to see here, temporary blip, nobody got shot. Unless the report of a helicopter being blown out of the sky part-way up the motorway turns out to be true.

Even so, it's no way to run a country. That was a day more like Chile or Tunisia than a European Power. Bad form Mr Putin, get a grip or retire. You're past 70, you have no business to be running a major nation at your age.
spot

Post by spot »

I wonder. Have we now seen enough of 2023 to be fully convinced that it's a replay of 1915 in terms of who gained which half mile and who lost another10,000 enlisted foot-soldiers?

We have seen this Western divide-and-rule strategy time and again. This is Iran-Iraq being replayed, this is the CIA gun-running surface-to-air missiles to the Mujaheddin in 1980s Afghanistan again. The longer this war can be spun out, the more damage both sides will inflict on each other. The one guarantee is that neither will emerge facing a safer future or a better established mutual border, regardless of where it is sited. This war is not in the interest of Ukraine and it is not in the interest of Russia, but both are better off fighting it than accepting what will result when it finishes. It is a Western-generated conflict, it is a Western-maintained conflict and I'm sure it will be prolonged by Western intervention for as long as it possibly can. What you need to ask is whether those Western strategists actually liked or approved of their proteges the Mujaheddin, or their Westernizing allies the secular Republic of Iraq, or whether they thought of them as useful tools for their geopolitical objectives.

Or is anyone sat there thinking the war in Ukraine might come to an end in the foreseeable future and, if so, how?
spot

Post by spot »

It was by no means clear until today whether damage to the Finland - Estonia gas and broadband link was deliberate. Today's news makes it clear that it was:

A telecommunication cable connecting Sweden and Estonia has been damaged, Sweden’s civil defence minister has said.

Carl-Oskar Bohlin said the incident appeared to have occurred at the same time as a subsea gas pipeline and a telecom cable connecting Finland and Estonia were damaged on 8 October.

Helsinki has said it cannot exclude the possibility that a “state actor” was behind that damage

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... esident-xi

Someone appears to have given Estonia early warning it has crossed a line. Mere mortal reeders of newspapers don't get told enough to know what it might have been. There are 7 undersea cables connecting Estonia, with 2 mainland stations. https://www.submarinecablemap.com/ is helpful, worldwide and up to date.

I suspect it's easier to mend an underwater fiber cable than to break it anonymously in the first place, but I could be mistaken. One can easily become embarrassed if a team gets arrested on the job and shows up in a courthouse - the newspapers can then report what language the team speaks, if nothing else.
spot

Post by spot »

For those who may have forgotten, this is President Biden reported on February 7th 2022, directly threatening to terminate Nord Stream 2 following a Russian invasion of Ukraine. Do please say if you think I'm twisting his words.
Biden said should there be a Russian invasion, which he defined as “tanks or troops crossing the border” with Ukraine, “there will be no longer a Nord Stream 2, we will bring an end to it.”

Asked whether Scholz to committed to ending operations, Biden said: “I promise you we will be able to do it.”

“We have intensively prepare everything to be ready with the necessary sanction if there is a military aggression against Ukraine,” Scholz said.

In English, the German chancellor said: “We will be united. We will act together, and we will take all the necessary steps.”

Pressed on their ambiguity, Biden insisted that Germany was a “reliable partner” and Scholz insisted that the US and Germany were “united.”

“The notion that Nord Stream 2 would go forward with an invasion by the Russians is just not going to happen,” Biden said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... epublicans

On 26 September 2022, Danish and Swedish authorities reported a number of explosions at pipes A and B of the Nord Stream 1 pipeline and pipe A of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline, with the resulting damage causing significant gas leaks. The European Union considers the incident to be sabotage of key European energy infrastructure.[6] The Nord Stream explosions also resulted in the worst release of methane gas in human history, with estimates ranging from 100,000 to 400,000 tons of methane released into the atmosphere. In October 2022, Russia confirmed that Pipe B of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline escaped destruction, and offered to resume gas supply to Europe (which was promptly declined by Berlin).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord_Stream_2
(Pipe B had never been operational, unlike Pipe A).
spot

Post by spot »

The weather in Ukraine has got sufficiently cold that the fighting has switched to winter mode, which last year involved staying in place and waiting for Easter. Whether it stops movement this winter is still to be seen but I'd have thought that likely.
The highly anticipated counteroffensive, powered by tens of billions of dollars in Western military aid, including heavy weaponry, did not forge the expected breakthroughs. Now, some Ukrainian officials worry whether further assistance will be as generous.

At the same time, ammunition stockpiles are running low, threatening to bring Ukrainian battlefield operations to a standstill.

With winter set to cloak a wartime Ukraine once again, military leaders must contend with new but familiar challenges as the conflict grinds toward the end of its second full year: There are freezing temperatures and barren fields that leave soldiers exposed. And there’s the renewed threat of widespread Russian aerial assaults in cities that target energy infrastructure and civilians.

https://apnews.com/article/zelenskyy-uk ... 459e6ab64b

A year ago there was a great deal of optimism in the Western press. I don't see it still being written up that way.

If anyone out there still thinks Ukraine is going to win this fight, perhaps they could again explain what a win would consist of. And if the Ukraine isn't going to win, what possible endgame are they aiming for other than spinning things out for as long as they can manage - which is not a good place to end up, when it arrives.

SKOPJE, North Macedonia (AP) — Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Friday his government was not prepared to “review its goals” in Ukraine — delivering a blunt and confrontational message to Western leaders on a rare trip to a NATO member state.

“We aren’t seeing any signals from Kyiv or its masters about their readiness to seek any kind of political settlement,” Lavrov told reporters while attending a security conference in North Macedonia.

“We see no reason to review our goals,” he said.

North Macedonia, which joined NATO in 2020, waived a flight ban on Russian officials so that Lavrov could attend the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, prompting the foreign ministers of Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania to skip the meeting in protest.

https://apnews.com/article/lavrov-osce- ... 50bb6a4afa

Return to “Current Events”