We got a new POTUS

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Re: We got a new POTUS

Post by cars »

Saw in news feed on my iphone yesterday, where Donald asked his advisors a few days ago how he could accomplish a strike against Iran's nuclear sites! He's looking to go out with a bang! :shock: Damn!
Cars :)
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

He'll probably argue he should get the Nobel Peace Prize for bringing peace to the middle east by disarming Iran or some sh*t.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

ANTIFA SCUM

That is putting it mildly. :)
8-)
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

So if Biden gets to be president and the minimum wage goes up to $15.00 an hour and small business have to close because they can't pay their employees salary and our taxes go up and we're paying $6.00 a gallon or more for gas. I don't want to be hearing any complaining from anybody who voted for him.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Hope6 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:18 pm So if Biden gets to be president and the minimum wage goes up to $15.00 an hour and small business have to close because they can't pay their employees salary and our taxes go up and we're paying $6.00 a gallon or more for gas. I don't want to be hearing any complaining from anybody who voted for him.
If?
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:14 pm ANTIFA SCUM

That is putting it mildly. :)
8-)
There's some people like in-your-face American white supremacists, and some just plain don't. It takes all sorts.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:18 pm So if Biden gets to be president and the minimum wage goes up to $15.00 an hour and small business have to close because they can't pay their employees salary and our taxes go up and we're paying $6.00 a gallon or more for gas. I don't want to be hearing any complaining from anybody who voted for him.
If a small business can only make a profit by undervaluing its staff then the sooner it steps aside for a more efficient outfit, the better.

And stop burning gas and oil, it's a valuable raw material. Burning the stuff is wasteful.

The way we've been living is selfish, find a better way ahead that prohibits exploitation.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

That argument has been around at least since the minimum wage was 1.45
If an employer cannot make enough money to pay his employees a reasonable wage, then he should not be in business.
When company owners are walking away with Billions of dollars then the drain on the company profits are not the minimum wage employees.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:20 am
If an employer cannot make enough money to pay his employees a reasonable wage, then he should not be in business.
When company owners are walking away with Billions of dollars then the drain on the company profits are not the minimum wage employees.
The last time I went to a Wal-Mart all I wanted was a piece of Fried Chicken. All the checkout lines were long, but the self-service was empty.

I stuffed my pride and did work for free just cause I was in a hurry.

Learning my lesson the next time I was in the area I stopped at a McDonalds' and rather than talk to a checker I stood before a tall computer thing to punch in my order.

At one time McD's was considered an entry job for High School students.

Besides the loss of jobs, who is paying the price?
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:25 pm
I have never once understood what I was being asked by the staff behind the counter in any fast-food outlet. The ability to order on a touchscreen finally allowed me to use the places.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

POTD
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The last time I went to a Wal-Mart all I wanted was a piece of Fried Chicken. All the checkout lines were long, but the self-service was empty.

Learning my lesson the next time I was in the area I stopped at a McDonalds' and rather than talk to a checker I stood before a tall computer thing to punch in my order.

People love to toss up Wal-Mart and McD's when talking about minimum wage, too.
WalMart employs far more Part-time workers than full Time, as do most of the fast food joints.
And, unless an employee works full time, Minimum wage is not required. Also, no benefits are offered most part time workers.

So, again, Minimum wage will not likely break many employers.

Simply put, raising the minimum wage will help increase the spending power of many low-level workers, allowing them to purchase more, turning more money into the local economies.
Tell me how that is a bad idea.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:54 pm

It May not hurt Wal-Mart, but it does nothing for the employees, except keep them part-time.

WalMart employs far more Part-time workers than full Time, as do most of the fast food joints.
And, unless an employee works full time, Minimum wage is not required. Also, no benefits are offered most part time workers.

Simply put, raising the minimum wage will help increase the spending power of many low-level workers, allowing them to purchase more, turning more money into the local economies.
cars

Post by cars »

It seems Donald is just being a dips - - t, and just wants to continue pi-s of the American people, as well as the world, by not formally conceding his losing the election! :x
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:21 pm It seems Donald is just being a dips - - t, and just wants to continue pi-s of the American people, as well as the world, by not formally conceding his losing the election! :x
It’s what he’s good at :-)
spot

Post by spot »

He learned that if he tells a lie it gets his name mentioned by the Pavlovian-conditioned media. It's attention-getting, you can call him Donald Kardashian from now on if you like. The trick is to simply ignore the chap. The US constitution allowed his base to suspend American activity worldwide for four years by voting a poser into what was previously considered a vital job. I can't see why they aren't receiving the world's thanks from all quarters. There is now a new traditional President queued to take over in January and already the news is full of further US engagement in Syria, picking up from where President Obama and Hillary Clinton left off. I would much rather the poser had continued in office. How has his first term not brought you benefit? You're not obliged to actually like him to see the advantage he brought.

Here we are - today's Biden quote in the papers: "“It’s a team that reflects the fact that America is back,” he said, “ready to lead the world, not retreat from it, once again sit at the head of the table, ready to confront our adversaries and not reject our allies, ready to stand up for our values.”"

I'm not looking forward to that at all, it's just more planet-wide asymmetrical killing by people who have no moral standing, just weaponry.
cars

Post by cars »

Well is seems the "transition of power" has begun, even though Donald has not "officially conceded", and he won't! Insiders say, innuendos Donald has made to his aids reading through the lines, indicates he knows he lost the election, although he's still putting up a front that he's still contesting the loss.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:26 pm Well is seems the "transition of power" has begun, even though Donald has not "officially conceded", and he won't! Insiders say, innuendos Donald has made to his aids reading through the lines, indicates he knows he lost the election, although he's still putting up a front that he's still contesting the loss.
Well, whether he concedes or not, is basically irrelevant. Come January 20th, he will be a trespasser at the WH.
Secret Service will have a plan for sending him on his way.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:43 am He learned that if he tells a lie it gets his name mentioned by the Pavlovian-conditioned media. It's attention-getting, you can call him Donald Kardashian from now on if you like. The trick is to simply ignore the chap. The US constitution allowed his base to suspend American activity worldwide for four years by voting a poser into what was previously considered a vital job. I can't see why they aren't receiving the world's thanks from all quarters. There is now a new traditional President queued to take over in January and already the news is full of further US engagement in Syria, picking up from where President Obama and Hillary Clinton left off. I would much rather the poser had continued in office. How has his first term not brought you benefit? You're not obliged to actually like him to see the advantage he brought.

Here we are - today's Biden quote in the papers: "“It’s a team that reflects the fact that America is back,” he said, “ready to lead the world, not retreat from it, once again sit at the head of the table, ready to confront our adversaries and not reject our allies, ready to stand up for our values.”"

I'm not looking forward to that at all, it's just more planet-wide asymmetrical killing by people who have no moral standing, just weaponry.
If there's "further US engagement in Syria", you can't place the blame on Biden. He has zero power right now.
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:33 pm
spot wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:43 am He learned that if he tells a lie it gets his name mentioned by the Pavlovian-conditioned media. It's attention-getting, you can call him Donald Kardashian from now on if you like. The trick is to simply ignore the chap. The US constitution allowed his base to suspend American activity worldwide for four years by voting a poser into what was previously considered a vital job. I can't see why they aren't receiving the world's thanks from all quarters. There is now a new traditional President queued to take over in January and already the news is full of further US engagement in Syria, picking up from where President Obama and Hillary Clinton left off. I would much rather the poser had continued in office. How has his first term not brought you benefit? You're not obliged to actually like him to see the advantage he brought.

If there's "further US engagement in Syria", you can't place the blame on Biden. He has zero power right now.
But there isn't. There hasn't been under the Trump administration. President Trump disengaged from Syria in his first year in office and has blocked any move by the military to return. What I quoted was Biden's description yesterday of his intent once he becomes President. How can I not place the blame on Biden? "America is back".
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Never ceases to amaze me that when a business complains about wages it shows nothing but incompetence on behalf of a business for not making a proper business plan. Capitalist smut
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:10 am
Snooz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:33 pm

But there isn't. There hasn't been under the Trump administration. President Trump disengaged from Syria in his first year in office and has blocked any move by the military to return. What I quoted was Biden's description yesterday of his intent once he becomes President. How can I not place the blame on Biden? "America is back".
I think you're about two years off on Trump's order to remove troops from Syria, that didn't happen until he got a phone call from Erdogan last year in which troops were withdrawn and our allies the Kurds were left defenseless. He had threatened to do it several times before that, but he was reined back by his military advisors exactly because of our alliance with the Kurds.

You implied that there's currently troop movement in Syria when you wrote: "already the news is full of further US engagement in Syria" and that wouldn't happen merely from Biden saying "America is back." Try not to let your histrionics run amok here.
spot

Post by spot »

I think President Trump took his first opportunity to remove US armed forces from Syria, and you're quite right about the year it happened and I ought to have checked before saying "first year". The fact that he had made earlier failed attempts just shows how autonomous your Pentagon is, but he did make earlier attempts just as he did with the other occupations. He even reduced the footprint in Germany. He tried to do the same with occupied Korea and failed.

We are disagreeing on words as far as returning troops back into Syria is concerned. Clearly it hasn't yet happened, the Biden administration doesn't yet have the power to implement their intentions. If you check the news, then "already the news is full of further US engagement in Syria" - it's full of discussion of the Biden team's intention of doing that once they have the authority. Perhaps I ought to have written "future US engagement" instead of "further".
cars

Post by cars »

Today, Donald is still spouting his lunatic antics about challenging the fraudulent ballots! It's now way past absurd!
spot

Post by spot »

cars wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:41 pm Today, Donald is still spouting his lunatic antics about challenging the fraudulent ballots! It's now way past absurd!
He knows how to annoy some people and please others, he's had a lot of practice. You can testify he's effective.
cars

Post by cars »

Donald is still at it, so enough of him, he's stale, and old hat he's not worth mentioning any longer!

Now making new news here, our New POTUS "Joe" has fractured his ankle, playing with his dog, and will require wearing a "Medical Boot" for several weeks. (He's 78 years old, and so it begins)
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Bill Barr apparently has some ethics after all, he told the Associated Press that there's no evidence of voting fraud. I'm sure Trump will be pleased to hear it.

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snooz wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm Bill Barr apparently has some ethics after all, he told the Associated Press that there's no evidence of voting fraud. I'm sure Trump will be pleased to hear it.

The day that they publish their evidence for voter fraud I’ll take notice, until then it’s just so much hot air.
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm Bill Barr apparently has some ethics after all
What you hear is a rat jump from a sinking ship.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Giuliani is sick now. i can see his future statements. "Wasn't me, I was sick at the time"

More like a senile narcisist
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I have been paying my employees $11:00 a hour for years. $15:00 an hour would put me out of business.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Snooz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:38 pm
If?
Yes if, because I'm not convinced at all that some cheating didn't go on in this election.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:45 am
If a small business can only make a profit by undervaluing its staff then the sooner it steps aside for a more efficient outfit, the better.

And stop burning gas and oil, it's a valuable raw material. Burning the stuff is wasteful.

The way we've been living is selfish, find a better way ahead that prohibits exploitation.
So if we aren't burning gas and oil what are we supposed to be doing with it?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Hope6 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:58 pm
If?
Yes if, because I'm not convinced at all that some cheating didn't go on in this election.
How do you explain the 50 lawsuits that have been tossed out of court for having no merit. The endless recounts and signature checks that haven't changed who the winner of the election is? The step by step analysis of the "hidden ballots in a suitcase" video that showed it was all above board and legal? What exactly will it take to convince you?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Hope6 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:01 pm
spot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:45 am

So if we aren't burning gas and oil what are we supposed to be doing with it?
Mostly making plastics, dyes etc. There’s a whole petrochemical industry out there turning gas and oil into raw materials for manafacturing.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Snooz wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:17 pm
Hope6 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:58 pm
If?
How do you explain the 50 lawsuits that have been tossed out of court for having no merit. The endless recounts and signature checks that haven't changed who the winner of the election is? The step by step analysis of the "hidden ballots in a suitcase" video that showed it was all above board and legal? What exactly will it take to convince you?
Up to 53 now.

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Trump and his allies are 1-55 in post-election litigation.
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:28 pm Trump and his allies are 1-55 in post-election litigation.
If they didn't make this fuss, they'd not establish the relationship with the Trump base that they want for next time. I don't for a moment believe any of them think they're capable of changing the outcome of the election. What they get from it is a fired-up army of voters who will follow the Trumpets into battle for the rest of their lives. If these tea-party fanatics don't retain the Republican label then they'll end up as unelectable as Ross Perot. The current court campaign is the way they're flinging glue around the nation.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Oh, Trump is making a bundle out of this, sending out multiple emails a day begging for money for his "defense", etc. Last week it was reported that he made about $210 million and I'm sure the amount has increased substantially since then. But the thing that gets me is, these constant losses *should* cause his followers to have a little doubt about his claims of election cheating but as Hope has demonstrated, his supporters continue to believe in massive fraud and that he's God's chosen one meant to lead the United States ad infinitum.
spot

Post by spot »

The idea that many Americans have a distorted view of their actual place in the world is not new to me.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

It's a GREAT IDEA! 8-)

Why be so stingy with other people's money? :?

No reason the stop at $15.00 an hour! Just imagine how everything would be so much better raising it to $25.00 or $30.00 an hour. :D

Imagine in 1968 when I got my first job at a senior citizens hospital doing kitchen work (washing dishes, general maintenance) for $1.65 an hour. How much better than the nation would be today :idea: if back then minimum wage was a measly $15.00 dollars an hour. :D
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pmImagine in 1968 when I got my first job at a senior citizens hospital doing kitchen work (washing dishes, general maintenance) for $1.65 an hour.
Luxury. I did kitchen work at Woolworths' canteen for two months around then, £3.45 after tax for a 40 hour week. The dollar was $2.80 to the pound, so that was $0.24 an hour. I did similar canteen work at what might have been Help the Aged or maybe a technical college around the same time, I haven't a clue what they paid me but it won't have been much different. I only ever saw the inside of that kitchen so I don't think I knew what the place did even at the time. I made more money pumping gas and bar-work back then.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I was in 5th grade in '68 and lemme tell ya, the pay was awful.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pm

It's a GREAT IDEA! 8-)

No reason the stop at $15.00 an hour! Just imagine how everything would be so much better raising it to $25.00 or $30.00 an hour. :D

Imagine in 1968 when I got my first job at a senior citizens hospital doing kitchen work (washing dishes, general maintenance) for $1.65 an hour. How much better than the nation would be today :idea: if back then minimum wage was a measly $15.00 dollars an hour. :D
Well, I worked at a WT Grant Department Store in '68, and that 1.65/hr kept my car paid for and gassed, helped me build a nice LP collection, and a mid-level stereo system to play all my LPs on, plus paid for me to maintain other features of a High School Senior's life style.
And my Buddy, Cal, fed his wife and kid pretty well on the same 1.65/hr
To maintain the same sort of lifestyle today, Cal and I would need 20/hr, minimum
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:58 pm
tude dog wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pm

It's a GREAT IDEA! 8-)

Well, I worked at a WT Grant Department Store in '68, and that 1.65/hr kept my car paid for and gassed, helped me build a nice LP collection, and a mid-level stereo system to play all my LPs on, plus paid for me to maintain other features of a High School Senior's life style.
To maintain the same sort of lifestyle today, Cal and I would need 20/hr, minimum
I just asked my nine year old what the minimum wage was in America. $1000 a month, he said. I checked on a calculator, he's only out by a ninth. How on earth did you know that, I asked. "Kurtzgesagt's video on YouTube about Universal Basic Income", he said. It's better than I could have managed at nine, it shows he pays attention.

I reckon Lars' $20 an hour equivalent is about right too. Wikipedia has "The purchasing power of the federal minimum wage peaked in 1968 at $1.60 ($12.00 in 2019 dollars). If the minimum wage in 1968 had kept up with labor's productivity growth, it would have reached $19.33 in 2017" at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_w ... ted_States
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

It's a GREAT IDEA! 8-)

Moving forward why not today a $100.00-hour minimum wage, or more? :roll:
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

[quote=LarsMac post_id=1535855Well, I worked at a WT Grant Department Store in '68, and that 1.65/hr kept my car paid for and gassed, helped me build a nice LP collection, and a mid-level stereo system to play all my LPs on, plus paid for me to maintain other features of a High School Senior's life style.
[/quote]

I was a junior at the time and had different priorities. I was just as happy my parents let me use the old '52 Chevy pick-m.

My high school lifestyle by comparison quite dull. :)
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:41 am
It's a GREAT IDEA! 8-)

We could do a little sum perhaps.

According to the BEA, personal income is the income that is received by persons from all sources. It is calculated as the sum of wage and salary disbursements, supplements to wages and salaries, proprietors' income with inventory valuation and capital consumption adjustments, rental income of persons with capital consumption adjustment, personal dividend income, personal interest income, and personal current transfer receipts, less contributions for government social insurance. Personal income increased to about 18.6 trillion U.S. dollars in 2019. - from https://www.statista.com/statistics/216 ... al-income/

Total inhabitants of America, shall we call that 330m?

That's an average of 56k a head, men and women, mexican, wasp, child and adult. The one thing you can tell from the figures is that it's ballpark accurate and achievable.

That's equivalent to $31 an hour all round, if you base an hourly rate on what constitutes regular employment at the moment. All $56,000 a year for everyone takes is dissociating income from occupation, age, race and gender. For the notional nuclear family of two adults and 2.3 children it amounts to $240,000.

I commend the principle.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:41 am
It's a GREAT IDEA! 8-)

Because the proposed figure does not come from a random number generator, there is logic behind it - it is calculated to give someone who is prepared to work enough money to cover their basic needs for food, clothing, housing, medical cover, etc.

Set it below and the worker is being exploited, he cannot continue to live in a civilised manner.

Set it nearly seven times night as you propose and all you achieve is inflation.

Yes, it is a balancing act but it is an informed decision, not arbitrary.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am finding it complete baffling how many people who seemed to be relatively smart, up 'til now, have fallen for Trumps Bullshit.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”