We got a new POTUS

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
tude dog

Re: We got a new POTUS

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:37 pm I am finding it complete baffling how many people who seemed to be relatively smart, up 'til now, have fallen for Trumps Bullshit.
I hope you are not talking about me! :shock:

I have no idea about dopey and his view /if any/ on minimum wage laws. I've held such laws as problematic long before I ever knew of the Trumpster. 8-)

If you are refereeing to me I appreciate '"to be relatively smart" 8-)
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:49 pm
tude dog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:41 am
It's a GREAT IDEA! 8-)

Why be so stingy with other people's money? :?

No reason the stop at $15.00 an hour! Just imagine how everything would be so much better raising it to $25.00 or $30.00 an hour. :D

Imagine in 1968 when I got my first job at a senior citizens hospital doing kitchen work (washing dishes, general maintenance) for $1.65 an hour. How much better than the nation would be today :idea: if back then minimum wage was a measly $15.00 dollars an hour. :D
Moving forward why not today a $100.00-hour minimum wage, or more? :roll:
Because the proposed figure does not come from a random number generator, there is logic behind it - it is calculated to give someone who is prepared to work enough money to cover their basic needs for food, clothing, housing, medical cover, etc.

Set it below and the worker is being exploited, he cannot continue to live in a civilised manner.

Set it nearly seven times night as you propose and all you achieve is inflation.

Yes, it is a balancing act but it is an informed decision, not arbitrary.
Not arbatary, political.

Mins by state.

15 dollars an hr does not fit all states.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:21 pm
Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:49 pm
tude dog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:41 am
It's a GREAT IDEA! 8-)

Why be so stingy with other people's money? :?

No reason the stop at $15.00 an hour! Just imagine how everything would be so much better raising it to $25.00 or $30.00 an hour. :D

Imagine in 1968 when I got my first job at a senior citizens hospital doing kitchen work (washing dishes, general maintenance) for $1.65 an hour. How much better than the nation would be today :idea: if back then minimum wage was a measly $15.00 dollars an hour. :D
Moving forward why not today a $100.00-hour minimum wage, or more? :roll:

Because the proposed figure does not come from a random number generator, there is logic behind it - it is calculated to give someone who is prepared to work enough money to cover their basic needs for food, clothing, housing, medical cover, etc.

Set it below and the worker is being exploited, he cannot continue to live in a civilised manner.

Set it nearly seven times night as you propose and all you achieve is inflation.

Not arbatary, political.
If it was purely political it would have been set to zero one side and up to xxx the other. It is where it is because that is the minimum needed to live with dignity.

We are no longer in the Victorian era where the bosses can pay the workers a pittance and that in tokens only redeemable in the company store.
spot

Post by spot »

Not arbatary, political.
I was referring to your $100 an hour as arbitrary, not to the numbers tossed around in the political arena.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Not arbatary, political.
I was referring to your $100 an hour as arbitrary, not to the numbers tossed around in the political arena.
Well DUH
Of course, the $100 was one of several I offered. Just as political pronouncements are random. :)
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:24 am
spot wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:25 pm
Not arbatary, political.
Well DUH
Of course, the $100 was one of several I offered. Just as political pronouncements are random. :)
Your $100 differed by being unachievable in today's currency. All the political options in the thread are possible. So would it be to eliminate the minimum wage entirely. A hundred dollars an hour isn't, which is why you suggested it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I saw a good one on FaceBook the other day.

How many Trump Supporters does it take to change a light bulb?

None. Trump just tells everyone that it's been fixed & they sit in the dark & cheer.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:06 pm I saw a good one on FaceBook the other day.

How many Trump Supporters does it take to change a light bulb?

None. Trump just tells everyone that it's been fixed & they sit in the dark & cheer.
That is too close to the truth for me to actually find humorous, lately.
The talk at our local diner the other night was about how trump has been robbed, and what "we" were going to do about it.
COVID-19 is not the only thing encouraging us to socially isolate, these days.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

Pear harbor Day was the first day of infamy for the USA, and now Yesterday was the second day of infamy for the USA! Thank you Donald, you will never be forgotten, you will be in the history books !!!
Cars :)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 am Pear harbor Day was the first day of infamy for the USA, and now Yesterday was the second day of infamy for the USA! Thank you Donald, you will never be forgotten, you will be in the history books !!!
This was hardly a Pearl Harbor moment, but more akin to the not-so-famous First intercontinental attack on American soil by the Japanese Fu Go Balloon bombers.
http://www.japaneseballoonbombs.com/
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:36 am
cars wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 am Pear harbor Day was the first day of infamy for the USA, and now Yesterday was the second day of infamy for the USA! Thank you Donald, you will never be forgotten, you will be in the history books !!!
This was hardly a Pearl Harbor moment, but more akin to the not-so-famous First intercontinental attack on American soil by the Japanese Fu Go Balloon bombers.
http://www.japaneseballoonbombs.com/
More like the time that America, led by John Paul Jones, invaded Whitehaven in Cumberland, northern England. That, too, was not a success.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I would have thought the Boston tea party debacle? .....was that successful in the end?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm I would have thought the Boston tea party debacle? .....was that successful in the end?
We can only hope it doesn’t develop that way.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! That there it is .....listening to this POS It's their fault....I wash my hands! ...They are bad I am good. Too funny if it was not so sad. Fighting democracy? Spot on ! That's exactly what you did! Shameful! He just said that like it was ripping off a band aid... he got through that speech as quickly as possible.

This POS will never see what he has done wrong. EVER!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I don't mind this report seems credible to me.

If you have a moment break this speech down ....look through the garble and break it down.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/do ... -january-6
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 pm If you have a moment break this speech down ....look through the garble and break it down.

He didn't explicitly say the people in the Capitol were cockroaches but the idea was there throughout.

All this impeach and section 25 talk just empowers him, he should be left sidelined and impotent until the Presidency has transferred and he's out of Washington. He can only have an effect if he's being talked about.

Beside which, it only takes one day of Mike Pence being in office for Trump to get a pardon. Don't even think of letting that happen.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:11 am
magentaflame wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 pm If you have a moment break this speech down ....look through the garble and break it down.

He didn't explicitly say the people in the Capitol were cockroaches but the idea was there throughout.

All this impeach and section 25 talk just empowers him, he should be left sidelined and impotent until the Presidency has transferred and he's out of Washington. He can only have an effect if he's being talked about.

Beside which, it only takes one day of Mike Pence being in office for Trump to get a pardon. Don't even think of letting that happen.
The general consensus is that he won't go away and will begin running for office again in the near future. The republican party stalwarts can't get rid of him because a good majority of the party were brought in by Trump . So effectively they are not so much republicans but "Trumpers". All the old guard can do is stand back and watch.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The Senate is beginning the process for impeachment.
They will likely not be able to complete it before the new president is sworn into office.

We could see a very interesting historical precedent - The impeachment of a president after he has already left office.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

So long as he's gone first I'll be quite happy to applaud.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:10 am The Senate is beginning the process for impeachment.
They will likely not be able to complete it before the new president is sworn into office.

We could see a very interesting historical precedent - The impeachment of a president after he has already left office.
Four years of constant folly come to fruition?

What a proud record the Demos have to show history. :lol:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:23 pm
LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:10 am The Senate is beginning the process for impeachment.

Sorry bud, but the Dems did not create this shitshow all by themselves.
A few decades ago, A guy with Biden's creds would have been a Republican. Hell, by today's standards, Ike and Dick would be too far left for the Republican Party Big Hats.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:23 pm

To be honest, I think "What a proud record the Americans have to show history. :lol:" would be more appropriate.
cars

Post by cars »

It is being reported here by "chatter" on Twitter and other media outlets that other protests may occur on January 17, & or January 19th, or both days! Sad State of Affairs!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

cars wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 pm It is being reported here by "chatter" on Twitter and other media outlets that other protests may occur on January 17, & or January 19th, or both days! Sad State of Affairs!
I read that they're gathering at noon on the two days before the inauguration to count the number of attendees and if they don't have around 15,000 "patriots", they'll cancel but if they do, they plan on using their masses to block entry into buildings, roads etc.

However, DC is going to be on lockdown and there's zero chance they'll be allowed anywhere near the location. So all those imbeciles will be flying or driving into DC all for jack shit. How terribly sad.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 pm
cars wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 pm It is being reported here by "chatter" on Twitter and other media outlets that other protests may occur on January 17, & or January 19th, or both days! Sad State of Affairs!
I read that they're gathering at noon on the two days before the inauguration to count the number of attendees and if they don't have around 15,000 "patriots", they'll cancel but if they do, they plan on using their masses to block entry into buildings, roads etc.

However, DC is going to be on lockdown and there's zero chance they'll be allowed anywhere near the location. So all those imbeciles will be flying or driving into DC all for jack shit. How terribly sad.
I hope you are correct. The bullshit last inauguration was bad enough.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

From all the chatter the media is reporting about on the "many" protests that are likely to occur within the next few days in DC and states all over the country, surely upheaval is bound to happen! :oops: :(
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:19 am From all the chatter the media is reporting about on the "many" protests that are likely to occur within the next few days in DC and states all over the country, surely upheaval is bound to happen! :oops: :(
AirBnB cancelled all reservations for the week of the inauguration.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

They're not muckin about with this are they?
cars

Post by cars »

No they are not, there's over "20,000" National Guard troops in DC alone, along with DC police, troopers, and Capital police.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

This is a somewhat disturbing report.

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-sieg ... 33628dd80e

The police had almost no leadership when the crowd overran the barricades and entered the capitol building.
Interviews with four members of the U.S. Capitol Police who were overrun by rioters on Jan. 6 show just how quickly the command structure collapsed as throngs of people, egged on by President Donald Trump, set upon the Capitol. The officers spoke on condition of anonymity because the department has threatened to suspend anyone who speaks to the media.

“We were on our own,” one of the officers told The Associated Press. “Totally on our own.”

The officers who spoke to the AP said they were given next to no warning by leadership on the morning of Jan. 6 about what would become a growing force of thousands of rioters, many better armed than the officers themselves were. And once the riot began, they were given no instructions by the department’s leaders on how to stop the mob or rescue lawmakers who had barricaded themselves inside. There were only enough officers for a routine day.

Three officers told the AP they did not hear Chief Steven Sund on the radio the entire afternoon. It turned out he was sheltering with Vice President Mike Pence in a secure location for some of the siege. Sund resigned the next day.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

cars wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 am No they are not, there's over "20,000" National Guard troops in DC alone, along with DC police, troopers, and Capital police.
What puzzles the powers that be is how to distinguish a Trump-voting National Guardsman with a burning loyal conviction that the President won the election, from one who will defend the inauguration, because they'll all be carrying loaded automatic weaponry.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:06 am
cars wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 am No they are not, there's over "20,000" National Guard troops in DC alone, along with DC police, troopers, and Capital police.
What puzzles the powers that be is how to distinguish a Trump-voting National Guardsman with a burning loyal conviction that the President won the election, from one who will defend the inauguration, because they'll all be carrying loaded automatic weaponry.
The problem lies not with the DC police officers or Guandman on the front lines. Rather it is the rot at the head of DC leadership.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:39 am The problem lies not with the DC police officers or Guandman on the front lines. Rather it is the rot at the head of DC leadership.
It's your country, sunshine. I'm distressed you allowed all this to happen at all. Or would you disclaim responsibility.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I suspect it's always someone else's fault with him.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:49 am
tude dog wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:39 am The problem lies not with the DC police officers or Guandman on the front lines. Rather it is the rot at the head of DC leadership.
It's your country, sunshine. I'm distressed you allowed all this to happen at all. Or would you disclaim responsibility.
Distressed are you? :roll:

It would be an act of hubris for me to claim responsibility for what happened. 8-)
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Snooz wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:53 am I suspect it's always someone else's fault with him.
Call it as I see it. 8-)

Read the article Lars posted,,,

Police command structure crumbled fast during Capitol riot
https://apnews.com/article/capitol-sieg ... 33628dd80e
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 pm Distressed are you? :roll:
Undoubtedly. America didn't have to end up the latest scourge of humanity. There used to be idealism back in the nineteenth century, I've no idea why you chose to throw it away.

What the Trump administration brought to the world was a respite. For four years the Pentagon has been held on a tight leash. The new administration is promising "business as usual" which to people outside America means the imminent arrival of incompetent killers kept invulnerable by air cover, trashing their homes, wrecking their culture and destroying their means of subsistence. I would agree that President Trump made life hellish for most of his countrymen but, on balance, I think that's a fair trade. Robin Wright in today's New Yorker called the last four years a “self-absorbed, gridlocked” America (quoting Doug Lute, a retired lieutenant general who was the U.S. ambassador to NATO and served on the National Security Council in both the George W. Bush and Obama Administrations). A second term along the same lines would have been welcome. What we face instead is President-elect Biden bragging:
"We will reclaim our credibility to lead the free world,” Biden told reporters last month. “And we will, once again, lead not just by the example of our power, but by the power of our example."
If he just carried a bell and wore a sign saying "unclean" round his neck it would make his words a lot clearer.

If there's one consolation in all this it's that Mike Pence is out of the running for high office for the next four years, and the despicable bombast Pompeo can finally be ignored.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:27 pm
tude dog wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 pm Distressed are you? :roll:
There used to be idealism back in the nineteenth century, I've no idea why you chose to throw it away.

spot

Post by spot »

The racist white supremacy century was the 20th. I was there, I remember.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:03 pm The racist white supremacy century was the 20th. I was there, I remember.
How many cotton picken slaves did you meet?
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:22 pm
spot wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:03 pm The racist white supremacy century was the 20th. I was there, I remember.
That wasn't white supremacist racism, cotton picking slavery was untrammelled capitalism.

If you'd like six minutes of revulsion, this just showed up from The White House:

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:35 pm
That wasn't white supremacist racism, cotton picking slavery was capitalism.
Owning another person is pretty supreme, so methinks. :)
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:41 pm
Jailing people is worse, I reckon. It's still slavery, it just involves more victims.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

If you'd like six minutes of revulsion, this just showed up from The White House:

I skipped through the video and got the gist of her message and I liked it. 8-)
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:13 pm
tude dog wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:41 pm
Jailing people is worse, I reckon. It's still slavery, it just involves more victims.
I am just going to walk away from that. :roll:
spot

Post by spot »

So. Still no pardon list.

While we're waiting, let's see how our man did. This was his inaugural promise for how the last four years would pan out:
From this day forward, a new vision will govern our land.

From this day forward, it’s going to be only America first, America first.

Every decision on trade, on taxes, on immigration, on foreign affairs, will be made to benefit American workers and American families.

We must protect our borders from the ravages of other countries making our products, stealing our companies, and destroying our jobs. Protection will lead to great prosperity and strength.

I will fight for you with every breath in my body – and I will never, ever let you down.

America will start winning again, winning like never before.

We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth. And we will bring back our dreams.

We will build new roads, and highways, and bridges, and airports, and tunnels, and railways all across our wonderful nation.

We will get our people off of welfare and back to work – rebuilding our country with American hands and American labor.

We will follow two simple rules: buy American and hire American.

I absolutely didn't believe he'd achieve any of that even while he was saying it, and if anyone proposes to carve President Trump's bare backside onto Mount Rushmore I'll definitely contribute.

Here, by contrast:
According to the most recent forecast released at the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meeting on Dec. 16, 2020, U.S. GDP growth is expected to contract by 2.4% in 2020.

https://www.thebalance.com/us-economic-outlook-3305669
while - correct me if I'm wrong - China's GDP growth in 2020 was 2.3%.

On a point of fact, "U.S. GDP growth is expected to contract by 2.4% in 2020" is cobblers. U.S. GDP is expected to contract by 2.4% in 2020. The movement is around 40 times the original assertion.
cars

Post by cars »

Well, tomorrow is the day, lets hope the day goes better than on January 6, 2021, the day that will never be forgotten!!!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

From AP: Das Trumper bids farewell with a slew of rather predictable pardons.
Bannon, His former Strategist, who has long been at odds with him was a bit of surprise to me.
Oddly enough, no pardon for Rudy. or for his kids, or even himself.

“Steve Bannon is getting a pardon from Trump after defrauding Trump’s own supporters into paying for a wall that Trump promised Mexico would pay for,” Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., said on Twitter. “And if that all sounds crazy, that’s because it is. Thank God we have only 12 more hours of this den of thieves.”

Many of the pardoned were racketeers, and scam artists. SURPRISED?
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

It's very difficult recognizing people on the inauguration stands. I'm sure I just saw John Barrowman chatting with the Obamas but hindsight will doubtless tell me I was mistaken.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:28 pm If you'd like six minutes of revulsion, this just showed up from The White House:

--

I skipped through the video and got the gist of her message and I liked it. 8-)
I rather liked it. She shows a hell of a lot more class than that bumbling spouse of hers ever could muster.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”