Polar bears

spot

Polar bears

Post by spot »

If Arctic melting will result in harm to the species by 2100, is there any good reason why they should not be introduced to the Antarctic? There's a lot of seals and penguins down there.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Re: Polar bears

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The Antarctic is melting too.
spot

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:58 pm The Antarctic is melting too.
They are very different places. The Arctic ice is just yards thick and all afloat, the Antarctic ice is miles thick and all on a continental landmass except the fringes. I've never seen an estimated date for the end of the Antarctic ice but it must be thousands of years off. The Arctic will be ice-free at mid-summer in mere decades. The problem the bears have is the time it will take to start the annual re-freeze after they've been forced onto land each summer.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 am If Arctic melting will result in harm to the species by 2100, is there any good reason why they should not be introduced to the Antarctic? There's a lot of seals and penguins down there.
Rabbits in Australia?
spot

Post by spot »

The survival of polar bears is an essential, and the rabbits were never endangered.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

They are very different places. The Arctic ice is just yards thick and all afloat, the Antarctic ice is miles thick and all on a continental landmass except the fringes. I've never seen an estimated date for the end of the Antarctic ice but it must be thousands of years off. The Arctic will be ice-free at mid-summer in mere decades. The problem the bears have is the time it will take to start the annual re-freeze after they've been forced onto land each summer.
This is heartbreaking to me.
spot

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:24 am This is heartbreaking to me.
Let's find someone to blame.

Henry Ford.

Any improvement on Henry Ford, or are we settled.

Before you ask, every name I come up with will be an American capitalist. No country on earth has ever put more man-made constituents into the atmosphere. I would happily see a Crimes Against Life tribunal sit in judgement on the perpetrators and their successors.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:27 am
AnneBoleyn wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:24 am This is heartbreaking to me.
Let's find someone to blame.

Henry Ford.

Any improvement on Henry Ford, or are we settled.

Before you ask, every name I come up with will be an American capitalist. No country on earth has ever put more man-made constituents into the atmosphere. I would happily see a Crimes Against Life tribunal sit in judgement on the perpetrators and their successors.
Watch me not argue with that!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:35 am The survival of polar bears is an essential, and the rabbits were never endangered.
You ask for reasons why we should not introduce polar bears into an ecosystem to which they are not native and I gave you an example of the damage that could do. I was not suggesting that rabbits were as endangered or as important as polar bears.
spot

Post by spot »

Ah.

I was suggesting that any practically believable damage is more than offset by the potential benefit to the bears. We could make a scale of desired outcomes. Penguins and seals will continue to live elsewhere. I would find it hard to imagine that the bears would leave none. I'm sure it could be modelled first.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”