Bigotry

Discuss the latest political news.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37440
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Bigotry

Post by spot »

"Pope Francis 'very distressed' over Hagia Sophia mosque move", apparently.

One wonders why. Hagia Sophia has been a museum since 1935. The last time it was a place of Christian worship, Columbus was two years old. What possible reason has the Pope for expressing any opinion at all in the matter of Muslim observance.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15715
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Bigotry

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:48 am
"Pope Francis 'very distressed' over Hagia Sophia mosque move", apparently.

One wonders why. Hagia Sophia has been a museum since 1935. The last time it was a place of Christian worship, Columbus was two years old. What possible reason has the Pope for expressing any opinion at all in the matter of Muslim observance.
Kemal Attaturk was quite keen on it becoming and staying a museum - turning it back into a mosque is a distinct step away from the constitution’s secularism.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37440
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Re: Bigotry

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:17 am
spot wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:48 am
"Pope Francis 'very distressed' over Hagia Sophia mosque move", apparently.

One wonders why. Hagia Sophia has been a museum since 1935. The last time it was a place of Christian worship, Columbus was two years old. What possible reason has the Pope for expressing any opinion at all in the matter of Muslim observance.
Kemal Attaturk was quite keen on it becoming and staying a museum - turning it back into a mosque is a distinct step away from the constitution’s secularism.
It was a court which made the recent order, I'm not sure I'd argue constitutional Turkish law with them myself. And I'm not disputing the decision either way, I'm merely asking why Pope Francis feels he has any stake in the matter. One might think any increase in monotheistic practice would make his nipples glow with pleasure but it would appear not.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15715
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Bigotry

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:29 am
Bryn Mawr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:17 am
spot wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:48 am
"Pope Francis 'very distressed' over Hagia Sophia mosque move", apparently.

One wonders why. Hagia Sophia has been a museum since 1935. The last time it was a place of Christian worship, Columbus was two years old. What possible reason has the Pope for expressing any opinion at all in the matter of Muslim observance.
Kemal Attaturk was quite keen on it becoming and staying a museum - turning it back into a mosque is a distinct step away from the constitution’s secularism.
It was a court which made the recent order, I'm not sure I'd argue constitutional Turkish law with them myself. And I'm not disputing the decision either way, I'm merely asking why Pope Francis feels he has any stake in the matter. One might think any increase in monotheistic practice would make his nipples glow with pleasure but it would appear not.
Ah but it’s not *his* monotheistic practice :-)
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37440
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Re: Bigotry

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:55 pm
spot wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:29 am
Bryn Mawr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:17 am
spot wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:48 am
"Pope Francis 'very distressed' over Hagia Sophia mosque move", apparently.

One wonders why. Hagia Sophia has been a museum since 1935. The last time it was a place of Christian worship, Columbus was two years old. What possible reason has the Pope for expressing any opinion at all in the matter of Muslim observance.
Kemal Attaturk was quite keen on it becoming and staying a museum - turning it back into a mosque is a distinct step away from the constitution’s secularism.
It was a court which made the recent order, I'm not sure I'd argue constitutional Turkish law with them myself. And I'm not disputing the decision either way, I'm merely asking why Pope Francis feels he has any stake in the matter. One might think any increase in monotheistic practice would make his nipples glow with pleasure but it would appear not.
Ah but it’s not *his* monotheistic practice :-)
Every possible response to that would get me a black mark at Cheltenham.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
spot
Posts: 37440
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Re: Bigotry

Post by spot »

Actually, so might my next remark.

Radio 4 reported on the new number-10-inspired diversion from the Russia report being imminently published. The leak said that Russian state actors had stolen "Vaccine secrets!" from Oxford.

I have no knowledge either way, but I'm totally bemused by the concept of a vaccine secret. In what way could any Russian state theft of information relating to vaccine research at Oxford do any harm to anyone on the planet, least of all to Britain? On the contrary, if the Russians find it improves their own research or speeds their own development of a vaccine, how can that be anything but laudable? And if there is actually any "vaccine secret" being held by academics at Oxford, why would that itself not be deplorable in the current circumstances? Is the alleged spy group the enemy, or the secrecy? Or are only selected nationalities meant to become immune to this foul virus at the earliest opportunity.

There was a vile government spokesbody who said they found such spying activity "pretty appalling". They gave no excuse for why they thought it. It was Dominic Raab, now I remember. All contrived hot air and no logic. Whom could this alleged data theft of "vaccine secrets" harm, Minister?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Return to “Current Political Events”