CHINA

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Re: CHINA

Post by spot »

And if anyone's keeping score,
China is forecast to have per capita gross domestic product, adjusted for purchasing power, equal to $25,307 in 2025.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2020/ ... come-surge
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Here's a helpful note from this week's New Scientist. It's paywalled.
Christoffer Koch at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas and Ken Okamura at the University of Oxford analysed China’s covid-19 data in May using a statistical fraud-detection technique. They found “no evidence of manipulation”, concluding that China’s distribution of cases was similar to that of the US and Italy.

“I’m sceptical of the numbers initially reported by China, but it’s clear they’ve succeeded in containing the virus,” says Zoe Hyde at the University of Western Australia. “If there were major epidemics in Chinese cities today, we’d see evidence of it.”

Various signs point to a country largely in control of the virus. Many other countries have plunged into recession but China’s economy grew in the third quarter of this year. China’s National Bureau of Statistics announced on 19 October that the country’s economy grew 4.9 per cent between July and September compared with 2019.

Domestic travel, too, has largely rebounded. Throughout China’s Golden Week national holiday, which began on 1 October, 637 million local trips were taken, according to the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, about 80 per cent of last year’s figure.

[...] In Beijing, which saw an outbreak linked to the Xinfadi food market in June, the government shut several districts surrounding the market, and conducted mass testing and contact tracing during that period.

“It’s extremely expensive to do that kind of aggressive intervention – much more expensive than public health measures that are used elsewhere in the world,” says Cowling.

The approach is resource-intensive, but minimises longer term disruption, says Cowling. “After those two or three weeks, everyone can get back to normal.”

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... z6fTu9VCVn
Clearly the "extremely expensive [...] aggressive intervention" is hundreds of times cheaper than not cleaning the virus out. Australia did it too. Sadly the UK and America never even tried.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

This is video from two days ago, taken in Guangzhou. The Washington Post led an article with it today focused on "the steady decline in U.S.-China relations".
Almost a year ago, China was ground zero of the coronavirus. In the first couple of months of 2020, some American commentators argued the spike of infections and the initial bungling response by local authorities in the Chinese city of Wuhan could constitute China’s “Chernobyl” — an epochal disaster that would expose the fundamental failings of Beijing’s opaque, autocratic, one-party state.

But as 2020 draws to an end, it’s in the United States where the shadow of Chernobyl looms, hovering over a politically-divided nation that passed 300,000 coronavirus-related deaths on Monday amid a mammoth onslaught of new cases. Whatever China’s original sin in the emergence of the disease — and the questions that still surround its official accounting of deaths and infections — its leadership has reason to believe it handled the situation markedly better than geopolitical adversaries in the West.

https://www.washingtonpost.com//world/2 ... rder-trump
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I'm just going to allow you to sink yourself. One of us is going to be interned . Just not sure which one of us it will be.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:45 pm I'm just going to allow you to sink yourself. One of us is going to be interned . Just not sure which one of us it will be.
It's on a par with "you'd all be speaking German if it hadn't been for us", it might end up interesting to historians as an example of blinkered nationalism in the 21st century but it has nothing to do with any real-world event, past present or future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Bowd ... -AGS-62%29 on the other hand is quite real. What possible legitimate non-aggressive excuse would anyone have for operating units like that inside an international trigger-point hotspot. How would America respond if China had units like that mapping the Maui Channel in International waters?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

https://www.9news.com.au/national/chris ... 303b610f17

Meanwhile, Taiwan has said 25 Chinese military aircraft entered its air defence identification zone (ADIZ) yesterday, the most on any single day so far this year.
Taiwan's National Defence Ministry said the flights surpassed the previous high this year of 20 Chinese military planes entering the ADIZ on March 26.
Last week, China's armed forces conducted military exercises to the west and east of Taiwan, a move analysts said was a warning to the island and the United States.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Sunday the US stands behind its commitment to Taiwan to make sure it can defend itself as Beijing increases its aggressive tactics.

"All I can tell you is, it would be a serious mistake for anyone to try to change the existing status quo by force," he said when asked if the US is prepared to defend Taiwan militarily.
Asked if that meant the US will respond with military force, Mr Blinken said he would not get into hypotheticals and reiterated the country's commitment to Taiwan.
China claims Taiwan as its own territory to be won over peacefully or by force.
Taiwan and China split amid civil war in 1949, and most Taiwanese favour maintaining the current state of de facto independence while engaging in robust economic exchanges with the mainland.

The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:07 am Taiwan and China split amid civil war in 1949, and most Taiwanese favour maintaining the current state of de facto independence while engaging in robust economic exchanges with the mainland.
That's an interesting sentence. It suggests to me that if you asked "most Taiwanese" if they would still "favour maintaining the current state of de facto independence" if China blocked "robust economic exchanges with the mainland", then "most Taiwanese" would prefer reunification. The writers wrote their sentence with "while" for a reason, it wasn't accidental. A sight of the raw poll results would be far more interesting than their carefully crafted biased conclusion.

Return to “General Chit Chat”