Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
LarsMac

Re: Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:18 pm Sir Falchi said today, regular Boosters likely will be required! :!: I'm not surprised, I knew it all along, it's going to be like the yearly Flu shot!
(if not even every 6 months, like it is now)
"Sir Falchi" ?

But, you can probably remember back when the Vaccine for Polio was rolled out. Lot's of folks thought that was the end of it, but then a few years later they came out with the "Sabin Vaccine" Fortunately, that was oral, so nt too big a deal.
Medicine has a way of changing with the times, trying to keep up with the bugs.

There has been some discussion going on for the last year or so about where we were going , long term, with this virus. It was suggested back in February that we could be looking at something like the Flu shots program. And with so many people refusing to take part in the vax programs, the bug will continue to mutate as it makes its way through the population.

And, an aside:
Look how long it took them to nail down Smallpox.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

It's three weeks since Omicron was first reported anywhere, to the day.

The UK announced its highest daily number of Covid-19 cases today since the outbreak started twenty months ago - 78,610. One person in sixty across the country is currently infectious. Omicron will supersede the Delta variant in the UK before the end of the month.

America seems not to have paid attention to it yet, being in the midst of a Delta surge already.

One can only hope Omicron is less lethal than its predecessors.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

It's come here but we're not locking down and they are leaving it up to (in my state) ourselves to decide whether or not to wear a mask outside. I'll go back to wearing one.
We are being told that those in hospital aren't vaccinated and it looks like it could overwhelm our hospitals.......(way to go non-vaccinated people, everyone's a winner....not! )
Lets see what happens in the New Year.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

You were at one point insistent that China was rife with Covid infection, to the tune of millions dying there of it. Are you still of the same opinion, or do you think perhaps that they have actually kept a tight grip on individual cases and prevented the outbreak from developing nationally? Because if they have, they're the last non-trivial country on earth to have succeeded in doing so.

Whether they can continue that way with this new Omicron strain is another matter, we'll have to see.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:20 am You were at one point insistent that China was rife with Covid infection, to the tune of millions dying there of it. Are you still of the same opinion, or do you think perhaps that they have actually kept a tight grip on individual cases and prevented the outbreak from developing nationally? Because if they have, they're the last non-trivial country on earth to have succeeded in doing so.

Whether they can continue that way with this new Omicron strain is another matter, we'll have to see.
I do not believe any of the figures coming out of China. I have no idea what the true figures are but they are nowhere near the published figures.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:08 amI do not believe any of the figures coming out of China. I have no idea what the true figures are but they are nowhere near the published figures.
China locks down 13 million people in Xi’an after detecting 127 Covid cases

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ovid-cases

Perhaps you could give a reason for your disbelief. I'm not sure how you think the country could lie about containing an exponential pandemic if they've actually failed to keep it suppressed, and Western news reporters are all over cities like Xi'an - they'd know and report if Covid was rampant, or if there had been any major outbreak since that first wave was dealt with. You do accept the first wave was dealt with, presumably?

I'd happily accept that their published figures might be out by an order of magnitude, but I can't see how their pandemic can be anything other than under control. The issue is whether the country has suppressed the pandemic since that first wave was cleared, not whether 127 Covid-positive individuals in an outbreak is really 1270, "Because if they have, they're the last non-trivial country on earth to have succeeded in doing so."

For comparison, the UK registered around a million positive cases in the last fortnight with a twentieth of China's population.

I'd not be surprised if the pandemic does spread like wildfire across China before Easter due to the new fast variant, but that's a further challenge. If it does I'll note it here, together with China's official news reaction.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I am suspicious of the extreme regularity of the data coming from China.
On the other hand, Chine is one of the few nations who could probably actually achieve 100% Vaccination rate in their living population.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Disbelief of whats coming out of China?
You say they have kept a tight grip on the virus.
Its China.....they keep a tight grip on everything.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Face masks have become mandatory again indoors.
Prime minister is trying to change the "fully vaxxed" definition. Must have a booster now to be considered fully vaxxed. I cant have a booster until February/March. Do I lose my job now because i have to be fully vaxxed for work.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:31 am
Bryn Mawr wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:08 amI do not believe any of the figures coming out of China. I have no idea what the true figures are but they are nowhere near the published figures.
China locks down 13 million people in Xi’an after detecting 127 Covid cases

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ovid-cases

Perhaps you could give a reason for your disbelief. I'm not sure how you think the country could lie about containing an exponential pandemic if they've actually failed to keep it suppressed, and Western news reporters are all over cities like Xi'an - they'd know and report if Covid was rampant, or if there had been any major outbreak since that first wave was dealt with. You do accept the first wave was dealt with, presumably?

I'd happily accept that their published figures might be out by an order of magnitude, but I can't see how their pandemic can be anything other than under control. The issue is whether the country has suppressed the pandemic since that first wave was cleared, not whether 127 Covid-positive individuals in an outbreak is really 1270, "Because if they have, they're the last non-trivial country on earth to have succeeded in doing so."

For comparison, the UK registered around a million positive cases in the last fortnight with a twentieth of China's population.

I'd not be surprised if the pandemic does spread like wildfire across China before Easter due to the new fast variant, but that's a further challenge. If it does I'll note it here, together with China's official news reaction.
Very easy, the deaths figure was going up steadily, they made a big adjustment to their figures and they have reported not a single death since then - eighteen months later. 4636 deaths and no more.

A natural progression does not increase in that fashion.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:51 pm Very easy, the deaths figure was going up steadily, they made a big adjustment to their figures and they have reported not a single death since then - eighteen months later. 4636 deaths and no more.

Perhaps you're not finding reliably published figures.There's been three more outbreaks since the first wave, all of which show fatalities. The current count is 5,699.

https://covid19.who.int/region/wpro/country/cn

Several other countries gave a statistical revision to account for deaths previously under-reported, it's considered good practice. China did it once.

As an aside, I've no idea what happened to President Putin this week but the photos in today's papers make him appear very ill.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

A little over 100000 cases and 4600 deaths in two years in a population of a Billion or so does seem difficult to believe.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:04 pm A little over 100000 cases and 4600 deaths in two years in a population of a Billion or so does seem difficult to believe.
At the risk of controversy, I suggest it offers a different perspective on the concept of the Constitutional rights of the individual, both for and against. It demonstrates what can be achieved if people - and I do mean people, not governments - act in the interests of the whole rather than their faction.

I certainly don't think China has, or even could have, covered up a pandemic of the scale seen in the Western world, which means they've prevented the exponential increase we had here by judicious extremes of lockdown, vaccination, tracking and tracing. Whether they can maintain that position next year must be at least questionable, I have my doubts, but even that worst case needn't involve a tenth of the death rate we Americans and British have willfully inflicted on ourselves.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:32 am
LarsMac wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:04 pm A little over 100000 cases and 4600 deaths in two years in a population of a Billion or so does seem difficult to believe.
At the risk of controversy, I suggest it offers a different perspective on the concept of the Constitutional rights of the individual, both for and against. It demonstrates what can be achieved if people - and I do mean people, not governments - act in the interests of the whole rather than their faction.

I certainly don't think China has, or even could have, covered up a pandemic of the scale seen in the Western world, which means they've prevented the exponential increase we had here by judicious extremes of lockdown, vaccination, tracking and tracing. Whether they can maintain that position next year must be at least questionable, I have my doubts, but even that worst case needn't involve a tenth of the death rate we Americans and British have willfully inflicted on ourselves.
Good points. And, as a said earlier I think only China, might be able to pull off such a policy.
I saw a fairly efficient use of implied force when I was there.
I have not heard from any of my acquaintances from work since this thing got started.
My former boss says that there are significant restrictions on what kind of communication can take place between the regional offices.
But that has always been the case.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:45 pm
Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:51 pm Very easy, the deaths figure was going up steadily, they made a big adjustment to their figures and they have reported not a single death since then - eighteen months later. 4636 deaths and no more.

Perhaps you're not finding reliably published figures.There's been three more outbreaks since the first wave, all of which show fatalities. The current count is 5,699.

https://covid19.who.int/region/wpro/country/cn

Several other countries gave a statistical revision to account for deaths previously under-reported, it's considered good practice. China did it once.

As an aside, I've no idea what happened to President Putin this week but the photos in today's papers make him appear very ill.
Then I apologise to the Chinese, my source is unreliable.
spot

Post by spot »

As for tracing the spread of infection from one person to another - that's how it spreads, one individual to another, and the tracing is how to prevent further spreading - "Officials say the outbreak has been traced to the arrival of a plane from Pakistan". When was the last time any British tracing found any source or contacts and actively prevented dissemination? Twenty months ago?

And what's the difference between China and the UK? Social responsibility and effective government. You might not like the government but it's clearly effective, just as ours clearly has no tools at all which actually work. Is anyone still using and acting on that social-distancing app? Are we still getting phone calls from call centres following infections? Are the Nightingale Hospitals still available on short notice?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:20 am As for tracing the spread of infection from one person to another - that's how it spreads, one individual to another, and the tracing is how to prevent further spreading - "Officials say the outbreak has been traced to the arrival of a plane from Pakistan". When was the last time any British tracing found any source or contacts and actively prevented dissemination? Twenty months ago?

And what's the difference between China and the UK? Social responsibility and effective government. You might not like the government but it's clearly effective, just as ours clearly has no tools at all which actually work. Is anyone still using and acting on that social-distancing app? Are we still getting phone calls from call centres following infections? Are the Nightingale Hospitals still available on short notice?
Track and trace is a joke. I know of one family on their third round of Covid in the house. The first time the daughter got it through her job as a carer. A private carer, going into peoples homes making do with very little PPE. She never found out where it came from and she visited several patients in their homes whilst she was no doubt shedding the virus. On reporting to her private employer her PCR test results she was told to keep her mouth shut when she listed all the clients she'd been to who now needed informing of a possible exposure, all elderly and vulnerable people! She did tell a fellow employee of her positive test as she'd shared a car journey with her, news of the positive test spread around the company and got back to the employer who was not pleased. On the daughters return to work she just didn't get given any shifts, so she was forced to go and work elsewhere for doing what she thought she had to do to prevent the spread of covid. They never found out where she'd caught it from in the first place.
The second bout was in the summer and my friend came to see me whilst she was no doubt positive with it as within 24 hours she tested positive. Luckily I'd decided it was best to have our coffee and catch up in my back yard out in the fresh air, thank god I did! She suspects she got it from her son in law, his brother also had it and they work together so it is assumed it came from a job they must have been on but no one knows for sure or has pinned it down to where it actually came from.
The third time is just today, my friend has had a stinking cold all week and says she's been lateral flow testing negative all week. I did say to her maybe she should get a PCR done just to be sure. She's still testing negative but two others in the house have had positive lateral flow tests this morning to their horror. Again no clue where its come from and I'll wait to hear and update if they get any calls from track and trace. They did back in the summer but my friend said she had more written down than they asked for and there was no way of making contact if they remembered seeing someone they'd not mentioned.
cars

Post by cars »

Covid-19-Omicron sucks, ruining lives, killing, and causing misery! It needs to be annihilated ! God, are you listening?
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

PM says UK doing ‘incomparably better’ against Covid in new year message

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ar-message

I have a gap in my understanding. If the present position can't be compared to the previous position, how can the word "better" be applied in the sentence?

Why on earth do people have such incredible trouble with superlatives when perfectly good ones exist?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:56 pm Covid-19-Omicron sucks, ruining lives, killing, and causing misery! It needs to be annihilated ! God, are you listening?
I think that God expects us to solve problems for ourselves. Especially when the problem to be solved was brought on by our own misadventures.

IF we had all got vax'd earlier this year, Delta would have been a passing phase, and Omicron would still be a cartoon bad guy.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Interesting note in today's news.
In many areas where the new strain is spreading, a large majority of patients with COVID-19 came to the hospital for other conditions, and the COVID was discovered incidentally.

Washingtom Post: In the nation’s hospitals, this covid wave is different
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:25 am Interesting note in today's news.
In many areas where the new strain is spreading, a large majority of patients with COVID-19 came to the hospital for other conditions, and the COVID was discovered incidentally.

Washingtom Post: In the nation’s hospitals, this covid wave is different
Same here but we still count them as in hospital with covid and, possibly, later count them as covid victims.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:32 am I certainly don't think China has, or even could have, covered up a pandemic of the scale seen in the Western world, which means they've prevented the exponential increase we had here by judicious extremes of lockdown, vaccination, tracking and tracing. Whether they can maintain that position next year must be at least questionable, I have my doubts, but even that worst case needn't involve a tenth of the death rate we Americans and British have willfully inflicted on ourselves.
A third city in China has gone into mass testing today, with 14 million people to be tested in the next two days. That's going to turn up a large number of false test results to clear up. The new variant may finally be turning the tables after two years of successful suppression.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-59928851
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I dont believe the new rules.
Got a positive case at work...but no matter because youre not a close contact unless you are in the lift for four hours continually witb that person.....then you have to prove that you even got it from that encounter.
We're fucked.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Also the rapid tests are giving a false count.
We're so fucked.
And the stress is showing in supply chains and lack of workers.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, our county is no longer the least vaccinated in the state.
We are now at a whopping 36% while the county to our south is at 35.9%

Part of the problem is that neither of these two counties have a location where residents can get the vaccine. We all had to travel an hour or more into a neighboring county to get the jab, or someone in authority has to arrange a mobile vax effort to come to some area to dispense the vaccine.
And when such an event has been arranged, the turnout has been very low.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I got my booster on Friday, and i was having a bit of a sook to myself about how they keep injecting right next to my TB and small pox scars.
And then i had a think about it. When I was between two and three my parents thought they should be good citizens of 'the world' and help eradicate small pox from the world......why are we so afraid now of a world wide vaccination of something we are actually seeing in our own backyards?
Mystifies me.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:22 am I got my booster on Friday, and i was having a bit of a sook to myself about how they keep injecting right next to my TB and small pox scars.
And then i had a think about it. When I was between two and three my parents thought they should be good citizens of 'the world' and help eradicate small pox from the world......why are we so afraid now of a world wide vaccination of something we are actually seeing in our own backyards?
Mystifies me.
They did have anti-vaxxers back then. Same with the big Flu epidemic after WWI, and with the Polio vax in the 50s, but those were considered crackpots and numbskulls back then.
Now we seem to have the philosophy that every crackpot notion has the right to be considered, no matter how friggin' looney it might be.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

China is still wobbling on a brink.
The first Omicron case in Mainland China was detected in the northern city of Tianjin on 9 December from an overseas returnee, who showed no symptoms on arrival. In the past month, at least 14 provincial-level places in China – including Shanghai – have reported Omicron cases, both imported and locally transmitted, according to state media.

“Now Beijing’s epidemic prevention and control work faces the double risk of overseas and domestic cases,” Pang Xinghuo, the deputy director of the Beijing Municipal Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, said at the press conference.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... riant-case
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:48 pm
magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:22 am I got my booster on Friday, and i was having a bit of a sook to myself about how they keep injecting right next to my TB and small pox scars.
Mystifies me.
They did have anti-vaxxers back then. Same with the big Flu epidemic after WWI, and with the Polio vax in the 50s, but those were considered crackpots and numbskulls back then.
Now we seem to have the philosophy that every crackpot notion has the right to be considered, no matter how friggin' looney it might be.
I had the opportunity to make a bucket load of money guarding testing sites and retail outlets. But at what cost to myself? ( yes it's been a boom season I'm afraid for security guards and officers like other industries we are now short of them )
The rules change every five minutes and people know their rights you know. I've gotten to the point that I don't give a rats arse about anyone else anymore. I just take care of myself.
spot

Post by spot »

So, where have we reached so far in this pandemic?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ekly_table is helpful.

At the moment, to pick a few, deaths due to Covid per week per million population are 40 in America and Italy, 33 in Russia, 28 in the UK, 25 in France, 17 in Australia, 13 in Germany. Oh, and 2 in Cuba.

Or, on another view in rough terms looking back, there have been 200,000 American deaths from Covid registered in the last half year, around 25,000 in the UK. Both are startlingly high ongoing deaths still, 20 months into the outbreak. The death rates in both countries since the outbreak got started are embarrassing, on a par with Brazil's scandalous ineptitude.

The Omicron variant became dominant about a month ago. So far it has doubled the death rate in both the US and the UK.

Countries like Cuba demonstrate that it's possible to do better. They, like the US and UK and China and Russia, distributed their own homebrew vaccine which is just as well given the economic sanctions they live under. Unlike the US and UK they appear to have a higher proportion of responsible citizens.

As a snapshot, every 27th person in the UK is currently Covid-infectious at the moment according to the Zoe study.

Would anyone like to predict whether things will improve this year in our respective countries?
cars

Post by cars »

Extra Extra, New Variant on the horizon!!! :shock: You heard it here first.

BA.2 is a sub-variant of Omicron!

Also dubbed: Stealth Omicron

It's already in over 40 countries!
Cars :)
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:00 pm So, where have we reached so far in this pandemic?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ekly_table is helpful.

At the moment, to pick a few, deaths due to Covid per week per million population are 40 in America and Italy, 33 in Russia, 28 in the UK, 25 in France, 17 in Australia, 13 in Germany. Oh, and 2 in Cuba.

Or, on another view in rough terms looking back, there have been 200,000 American deaths from Covid registered in the last half year, around 25,000 in the UK. Both are startlingly high ongoing deaths still, 20 months into the outbreak. The death rates in both countries since the outbreak got started are embarrassing, on a par with Brazil's scandalous ineptitude.

The Omicron variant became dominant about a month ago. So far it has doubled the death rate in both the US and the UK.

Countries like Cuba demonstrate that it's possible to do better. They, like the US and UK and China and Russia, distributed their own homebrew vaccine which is just as well given the economic sanctions they live under. Unlike the US and UK they appear to have a higher proportion of responsible citizens.

As a snapshot, every 27th person in the UK is currently Covid-infectious at the moment according to the Zoe study.

Would anyone like to predict whether things will improve this year in our respective countries?
Interesting to note that the more Socialistic the country, the lower the Death Rate.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:05 pm Interesting to note that the more Socialistic the country, the lower the Death Rate.
You can only say that because bloody Russia isn't socialist any longer, they're having a shocking time of this pandemic.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:31 amI'd not be surprised if the pandemic does spread like wildfire across China before Easter due to the new fast variant, but that's a further challenge. If it does I'll note it here, together with China's official news reaction.
And it is now Good Friday. It's starting to look as though Covid-19 is starting to win in China, despite draconian lockdowns in multiple areas.
Despite the harsh restrictions, the number of Covid-19 infections has continued to rise in the city. On Wednesday, Shanghai reported a further 25,141 asymptomatic cases for Tuesday, up from 22,348 a day earlier. Symptomatic cases also rose, from 994 to 1,189, the city authorities said.

The situation in Shanghai and the spillover effect to nearby cities have worried economists, who say the lockdowns have disrupted the global supply chains.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... n-outbreak
On a domestic note, around one adult in 15 is currently Covid-infectious in England this week while a large proportion of the country is treating the pandemic as a thing of the past. The UK Covid death toll is bouncing along at around 1500 a week with no sign of reducing.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

In our little corner of Trumpland, the Vaccine is gaining in popularity. Our county, long at the bottom of the list for percentage vaxxed, has climb five steps up the chart, and the death rate is at a new low.
Masks are becoming popular in town.
And, not sure it's related or not, but, I've noticed a lot fewer pro-trumpian flags around.

a personal aside, The Mrs has begun the vaccine. Got her first Moderna this week.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:59 am In our little corner of Trumpland, the Vaccine is gaining in popularity. Our county, long at the bottom of the list for percentage vaxxed, has climb five steps up the chart, and the death rate is at a new low.
And, not sure it's related or not, but, I've noticed a lot fewer pro-trumpian flags around.

a personal aside, The Mrs has begun the vaccine. Got her first Moderna this week.
Are you suggesting that Trump’s star is waining?

I hope she’s not having too much of a reaction to the jab - it must be a relief for you :-)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:59 am In our little corner of Trumpland, the Vaccine is gaining in popularity. Our county, long at the bottom of the list for percentage vaxxed, has climb five steps up the chart, and the death rate is at a new low.

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:27 pm Are you suggesting that Trump’s star is waining?
Well, yes, I think that it may be.
There is plenty to be stupid about, around here.
They are fighting hard against allowing Windmills, and Solar farms in the County. They are convinced that the transmission lines required to move the electricity will cause cancer and mental Illness [Sorry, folks, but I believe THAT particular ship has long ago sailed]
And The Donald has proved less than a reliable partner in that fight.
Bryn Mawr wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:27 pm I hope she’s not having too much of a reaction to the jab - it must be a relief for you :-)
Other than a sore arm, she has taken it well.
Thank you.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, the a federal judge in Florida has struck down the mask mandate for air travelers in the US.
The last time I flew was shortly after the COVID outbreak had hit the news. It was, in fact, the week that the videos and stills of passengers entering the US being crowded into the customs area of several US airports waiting for clearance to enter the US.
I almost decided to rent a car and drive back home from Virginia, rather than take the plane that I had booked.
At the time, the only rules at the airports were for incoming travelers from outside US.
My flight went through O'Hare, one of the airports with photos showing the congestion.

I was beginning to feel comfortable with the idea of flying, again, and was about to book a flight to Maine for this Summer.
Well, I guess we will be driving, after all.

US ends mask mandates for Air travel
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

It's one way wars end - a country runs out of will and determination and stops fighting. The other way is one side runs out of resources.

An example of the first, Vietnam or Afghanistan or Korea or anything ever in Iraq. An example of the second, World War 2 or the Confederacy or Grenada. The second sort has become rare in recent years.

So, the War Against Covid-19. Abandoned.

What you see now if you look at the graph of Covid-19 deaths in the USA for the 763 days of the conflict is, with remarkably little deviation, a steady rate of 1330 deaths a day, 9300 deaths every week, which is now over a million deaths. I don't remember seeing any news headline announcing the million death mark, maybe someone did and I wasn't watching. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ies-deaths

The UK is practically the same and the war has been abandoned here too. 224 deaths a day, 1600 deaths every week, it's about that figure this week too, it shows no sign of any significant long-term drop.

I don't believe either country has handled the pandemic at all well. I'm not sure either population or either government is capable of handling such a problem at all well, nor that either will become more capable as time goes by.
spot

Post by spot »

I noted in that last post the "remarkably little deviation" over time. The sole major upward bump, which both the US and UK share, was the period of the New Year to Easter 2021. In both instances the party time from Thanksgiving to New Year gave rise to the bump, and both were due to deliberate governmental easing of restrictions for that holiday period. In the UK it put the daily average for those 84 days to precisely 750 deaths a day, 5000 deaths each week for 12 weeks.

While the populations are undoubtedly responsible for the steady and continuing death rate through a sheer obstinate refusal to act sensibly en masse, the governments are responsible for those two concurrent bulges. In my opinion. By all means bring your own, but do at least attend to the actual daily figures on that graph - they're all there under the mouse pointer.
spot

Post by spot »

And for those who doubted China's honesty in reporting deaths, I think their current outbreak this year has thrown them into that position now. Whatever they're reporting at the moment is short by two zeros in my opinion. I hope they bite down and get straight again, but I don't think it likely they'll succeed - we may well be seeing an entirely uncontrollable year starting. Very sad too, if that's the case.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:39 am And for those who doubted China's honesty in reporting deaths, I think the current outbreak this year has thrown them into that position now. Whatever they're reporting at the moment is short by two zeros in my opinion. I hope they bite down and get straight again, but I don't think it likely they'll succeed - we may well be seeing an entirely uncontrollable year starting. Very sad too, if that's the case.
Very much like king Canute - better to let the tide in slowly than to try and hold it back altogether.
spot

Post by spot »

If it's uncontrolled, the world's manufacturing base is in for a very rough ride. Parts are going to be hard to find.
spot

Post by spot »

This is yesterday outdoors, half a mile down the road. I've kept my door locked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-61936442

Something like one person in 20 is infectious out there at the moment. We're around half way to the point where we might begin to discuss the Covid pandemic in the past tense. Ask me again during the Autumn election 2024 - the US presidential one and the UK national election ought to be within a couple of weeks of each other. Then we can decide whether it's actually still killing as many people as it it at the moment, which is still an annual six figure total in the US.

The current problem is that so much Covid is out there in the wild, and in consequence the random mutations are surviving and improving far too frequently. Only one country is actively keeping the number of viruses to a rock-bottom minimum and that's China, still pushing it down with the zero-Covid policy they've employed throughout. If the world as a whole were doing that, the mutation rate to more infectious variants would be non-existent. China should be thanked for keeping their sixth of the world's population out of that equation.

I had my third vaccination last November, I have a horrible suspicion that the UK has dialed that program back for cost reasons. 7 months is a long gap with no appointment yet. The health authority may perhaps think the background rate of infections is so high that most of us are getting renewed homegrown antibodies on a regular basis anyway.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am considering the second booster. With most of our household fully vaxxed, and all of us being a bit anti-social, I am beginning to feel some confidence that we may avoid any more run-ins with the bug.
At the hardware store, yesterday, I observed people making a conscious effort to stay distanced from each other. Even a few were wearing masks.
The bug is definitely having an affect on how people out here in the country interact.
Most of the new cases in Colorado are, of course, in the more populated counties, though we did have a large spike a couple of weeks ago, after the high school gymnasts attended a state-wide tournament.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I went to watch a band (out of doors) and met my daughter on Friday night at Golowan and then watched the fireworks. But my mind was very much on the rising numbers around about these parts, there were a lot of people about. A lot of people, quite possibly the busiest I've seen it. So I stayed home for the main event, yesterday. That said I'm still pretty much wiped out after my bout of Covid anyway. Feel ever so slightly guilty that my youngest should have actually been taking part in one of the parades. Wonder if I can now keep him off school for the next couple of weeks given that a good amount of his class will have been out and about amongst the covid all weekend. :(
spot

Post by spot »

They'd not be infectious until the tail of the week anyway.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

There's also Glastonbury to consider, yikes !

Diana Ross was awful!

I'd like to go to festivals but I need my own bathroom and a bed not under canvas. I'd give glamping a go but the price is :shock:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

It seems that many people are into the "Damn the Torpedoes! Full Speed ahead." mindset, now.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”