Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
LarsMac

Re: Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:42 pm Lucky Me, I was getting my yearly checkup at my doc's yesterday, and he said he had a cancellation by a patient who was supposed to get a covid-19 booster shot.
He asked me if I wanted it, so I got my booster shot yesterday!
That's a spot of luck.
good news.

I am planning to get the J&J booster to augment the Moderna vax I got back in March.
We'll see how the Mix and Match works out.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:18 pm
cars wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:42 pm Lucky Me, I was getting my yearly checkup at my doc's yesterday, and he said he had a cancellation by a patient who was supposed to get a covid-19 booster shot.
That's a spot of luck.
good news.

I am planning to get the J&J booster to augment the Moderna vax I got back in March.
Another week and I’ll have my booster and a flu jab at the same time.
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:18 pm
That's a spot of luck.
good news.

My booster jab was "Moderna", same as my original shots. They say you can mix n match, but I wanted to keep them all the same. That's just me.
Cars :)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, the Mrs has chosen to not fight anymore.
We are now going in to hospice mode.

Ya'll stay safe out there.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:51 pm Well, the Mrs has chosen to not fight anymore.
We are now going in to hospice mode.

Ya'll stay safe out there.
That's terrible news, I hope your family rallies round. We'll be thinking of you both.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Im so sorry.
Bugger it all! Just bugger!

Take care of yourself, you know you'll have to.

Love to all of your family
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Thats awful news Lars, I'm so sorry to read this this evening, hugs to you and your daughter x
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

What can I say, that is such awful news - I’m gutted for you Lars
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

A couple of weeks back a lady at our choir tested as Positive, so the following Thursday I did a test as I may have come in contact, but came up Negative, which I was pretty sure I would.
I was on the phone to an Insurance Company as I was checking the results but I had lost the leaflet & couldn't remember whether 1 line or 2 lines was Positive. I said it was showing 1 line, and the person on the other end of the line reassured me that 1 line meant I was ok.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, after a day of rebellion, she decided to get back in the fight.
We lost a day and had to restart the protocols.
It will be scary, but as my old boss from many years ago, Alun Roberts, used to say, "Ain't no hill for a stepper."
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:05 am Well, after a day of rebellion, she decided to get back in the fight.
We lost a day and had to restart the protocols.
It will be scary, but as my old boss from many years ago, Alun Roberts, used to say, "Ain't no hill for a stepper."
Thats much better news lars and I hope she continues to fight x
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

THNX Betty.
The numbers were very encouraging this morning.
Doc days that the Bug has actually been killed off, and now we are fighting the damage that was done.
He was feeling confident enough to recommend that we start arranging Rehab and Physical therapy for after release. That is at least a week away.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:12 pm THNX Betty.
The numbers were very encouraging this morning.
Doc days that the Bug has actually been killed off, and now we are fighting the damage that was done.
He was feeling confident enough to recommend that we start arranging Rehab and Physical therapy for after release. That is at least a week away.
Wonderful news - I hope that gets her pecker up and gets her fighting again
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:54 pmWonderful news - I hope that gets her pecker up and gets her fighting again

I have no idea how that translates into American but I have my doubts.

I hope matters turn round successfully Lars, you've both invested so much work into establishing your new home.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Yup, that is a fairly gender specific term, over here, but we got your meaning, and the Mrs got a good laugh.

We got an update on rehab. She's scheduled for a place over in the next town for Monday, assuming the doc is satisfied with her progress.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:25 pm Yup, that is a fairly gender specific term, over here, but we got your meaning, and the Mrs got a good laugh.

We got an update on rehab. She's scheduled for a place over in the next town for Monday, assuming the doc is satisfied with her progress.
Oops :oops:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, we beat the bug. There are residual affects to be dealt with, but she survived the infection.
Going into a Rehab facility to build up strength and stamina.
A vaxx is at least three months down the road, so we must maintain strict avoidance protocols. She could get the bug, again, it seems.
The Docs really don't know.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Then that's all a lot better than when it started. I could send a celebratory Interflora bouquet if there's a branch within a hundred miles of you, but I'd need an address - failing that you could take home a bottle of non-alcohol Champagne for recuperating milestones.

Presumably bright sunny days and sitting out on the porch will have to be deferred until the weather picks up. Please pass on our continued good wishes for a full recovery, and sympathy for the trial it has involved.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:16 am So, we beat the bug. There are residual affects to be dealt with, but she survived the infection.
Going into a Rehab facility to build up strength and stamina.
A vaxx is at least three months down the road, so we must maintain strict avoidance protocols. She could get the bug, again, it seems.
The Docs really don't know.
After the last time I’d better be careful what I say but that’s wonderful news and long may it continue.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, the Mrs is about finished with rehab, and planning to be home this coming weekend.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:23 pm Well, the Mrs is about finished with rehab, and planning to be home this coming weekend.
You’d better look after her - she precious :-)

Thanks for the update, you know we worry.
spot

Post by spot »

Whatever you do, don't throw a massive welcome home party.

I reckon a Kindle for Christmas would make a suitable present to convalesce with.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:23 pm Well, the Mrs is about finished with rehab, and planning to be home this coming weekend.
Thats great news Lars (there's no flower smiley anymore or I'd have put that here)
cars

Post by cars »

Happy news at last, Happy Thanksgiving
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Mrs is home, alive and kicking.
She's already taking charge, again.
And I go in Tuesday for my booster.
The town over in the next county is going through a major up tick in Cases this last couple of weeks. They're # 2 in the state for new infections and in the bottom for vaxx'd residents.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

Horrific new Variant Killer virus on the lose again! Major serge of infections are predicted. Best defense available, is getting vaxed!
And also getting the booster after six months.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Got the Booster Tuesday. Got the Flu shot at the same time. Woke up Wednesday feeling horrible. Spent the day with chills and headache. It was not at all a pleasant day. Went to bed early, and woke feeling fine Thursday.
Doc said that means my immune system was reacting to the vax, and is a good thing. I'm glad HE thinks so.
I hope they don't come up with another Booster.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I had my booster and first ever flu jab last Saturday. Been feeling fine apart from sore covid booster arm for 24 hours and a strange lack of taste noticed one evening although thinking about it that could have been down to something else.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:37 pm Horrific new Variant Killer virus on the lose again! Major serge of infections are predicted. Best defense available, is getting vaxed!
A new strain? Or is it because you guys are coming into winter?
I cant have a booster until next feb/mar. But ill be getting the flu shot soon. Wouldnt normally get it until April but i dont trust anything at the moment.....the federal and state politics over vaxxs and opening borders etc is becoming nasty.
We took off the masks last week but i still feel tentative about it.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:04 pm Got the Booster Tuesday. Got the Flu shot at the same time. Woke up Wednesday feeling horrible. Spent the day with chills and headache. It was not at all a pleasant day. Went to bed early, and woke feeling fine Thursday.
Doc said that means my immune system was reacting to the vax, and is a good thing. I'm glad HE thinks so.
I hope they don't come up with another Booster.
'They' are looking at giving us boosters every six months for awhile.
spot

Post by spot »

I too have been boosted.

Only a minority of people in England now make any effort to socially distance or avoid crowds or wear a mask, notably in London when last I was there. One consequence is that we're jogging along at around 70,000 deaths a year with no sign of any reduction. After 20 months of becoming wearied, Covid-19 here is something that happened in the past. The alternative would have been civil cooperation for another four years and not many people are prepared to do that. Boris has not mentioned washing hands or sneezing into an armpit for many months now, we fired our last Health Minister for being a creep, it's all over.

We have 20 times the rate of infection than a lot of more sensible countries, we're double what America is coping with, we are embarrassing ourselves.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Thought it would be here, we're not known for being careful

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59445388
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:07 pm
cars wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:37 pm Horrific new Variant Killer virus on the lose again! Major serge of infections are predicted. Best defense available, is getting vaxed!

A new strain?
Or is it because you guys are coming into winter?
I cant have a booster until next feb/mar. But ill be getting the flu shot soon. Wouldnt normally get it until April but i dont trust anything at the moment.....the federal and state politics over vaxxs and opening borders etc is becoming nasty.
We took off the masks last week but i still feel tentative about it.
New, it's from South Africa, called "omicron". More contagious the Delta.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Tracking this new variant the last couple of days, it is reminiscent of following the original strain as the bugs made their way across the globe, one step ahead of the trackers.

IT seems we have learned nothing about controlling disease control.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:05 pm Tracking this new variant the last couple of days, it is reminiscent of following the original strain as the bugs made their way across the globe, one step ahead of the trackers.

It seems we have learnt nothing at all.
Facemasks mandatory from Tuesday because the virus will wait in the wings until people decide to wear them again.
Why not make them mandatory from immediate effect??
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:53 am
LarsMac wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:05 pm Tracking this new variant the last couple of days, it is reminiscent of following the original strain as the bugs made their way across the globe, one step ahead of the trackers.

It seems we have learnt nothing at all.
Facemasks mandatory from Tuesday because the virus will wait in the wings until people decide to wear them again.
Why not make them mandatory from immediate effect??
Well, here in 'Merica, we got rights, ya know.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:10 am Well, here in 'Merica, we got rights, ya know.
There's the difference. We don't have rights here in the Mother Country, we have responsibilities. Ask Kipling.

Mandatory Covid content: I have now been boosted by Moderna to the extent that I couldn't rise from my bed to Trivia yesterday. The worrying consequence is level scores at the top. I have consequently got well again in record time.

As for not having rights, I have occasionally wondered whether there might still be aspects of the law in Britain that are secret. A bit like the Star Chamber. It's either probable or paranoid, I can't tell which. I'm certainly not going to ask, just in case.

As I sit here my thermometer indoors says 8.5°C, which is 47°F. I should do something about that, or turn the thermometer to the wall or something. Doing one's bit for global warming is all very well but there should be limits.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 am
LarsMac wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:10 am Well, here in 'Merica, we got rights, ya know.
There's the difference. We don't have rights here in the Mother Country, we have responsibilities. Ask Kipling.

Mandatory Covid content: I have now been boosted by Moderna to the extent that I couldn't rise from my bed to Trivia yesterday. The worrying consequence is level scores at the top. I have consequently got well again in record time.

As for not having rights, I have occasionally wondered whether there might still be aspects of the law in Britain that are secret. A bit like the Star Chamber. It's either probable or paranoid, I can't tell which. I'm certainly not going to ask, just in case.

As I sit here my thermometer indoors says 8.5°C, which is 47°F. I should do something about that, or turn the thermometer to the wall or something. Doing one's bit for global warming is all very well but there should be limits.
Well, I'd start with kicking the thermostat up about 10 f. Keeping it below 20 is a reasonable sacrifice, I think. You do have some rights over there, and not freezing to death id probably one of them.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:03 pm
spot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 am

Well, I'd start with kicking the thermostat up about 10 f. Keeping it below 20 is a reasonable sacrifice, I think. You do have some rights over there, and not freezing to death id probably one of them.
I never put my thermostat over 18 and its never on overnight unless the temperature outside is below 5. This is a put another layer on house or sit with a fleece round you. Its my daughter who moaned most about the house being cold and she would sneakily turn the thermostat up and turn the fire on in the lounge, she's learning first hand now how much heating a house costs as she moved out earlier this year :lol:

Is it really about global warming Spot??
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 am:

Is it really about global warming Spot??
I think he’d be happy with local warming, his global aspirations lie elsewhere:-)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Meanwhile in America,...
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Betty Boop wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 am I never put my thermostat over 18 and its never on overnight unless the temperature outside is below 5. This is a put another layer on house or sit with a fleece round you. Its my daughter who moaned most about the house being cold and she would sneakily turn the thermostat up and turn the fire on in the lounge, she's learning first hand now how much heating a house costs as she moved out earlier this year :lol:
By rights the outside temperature doesn't affect a Thermostat's setting. The whole point of a Thermostat is that it adjusts itself to maintain a consistent temperature inside. However, I know exactly what you mean. I tend to do the same with the settings in the car. Normally I have it set to 16 but when it's cold I put it up to 20 or even 22, although it shouldn't make a damned bit of difference to the temperature inside the car.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

My 89 year old Mother had a fall a week ago yesterday, she's in our local hospital recovering from a broken pubic bone bless her. All was going well, she's recovering slowly, my brother was able to go and visit her daily until we had a phone call from the Ward last night to report there is a positive case of covid on the ward, no visiting for two weeks! Hoping she manages to stay positive whilst she recovers now.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

It is interesting how the perception of temperature can be more powerful than the thermostat.

My father used to insist on the thermostat remaining at 80 f all the time. (They lived in Florida, where the air conditioner gets more work than the heater. )
Mom was always complaining about how hot it was in the house.

When he died, and Mom finally had control of the thermostat, want to guess what temperature setting was most comfortable for her?
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:12 am My 89 year old Mother had a fall a week ago yesterday, she's in our local hospital recovering from a broken pubic bone bless her. All was going well, she's recovering slowly, my brother was able to go and visit her daily until we had a phone call from the Ward last night to report there is a positive case of covid on the ward, no visiting for two weeks! Hoping she manages to stay positive whilst she recovers now.
I do hope she can keep her spirits up. Even with visitation, rehabilitation is hard on the spirit.
Without it, tedium can set in rather quickly.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:12 am My 89 year old Mother had a fall a week ago yesterday, she's in our local hospital recovering from a broken pubic bone bless her. All was going well, she's recovering slowly, my brother was able to go and visit her daily until we had a phone call from the Ward last night to report there is a positive case of covid on the ward, no visiting for two weeks! Hoping she manages to stay positive whilst she recovers now.
As it happened, when my 93 year old mom was still alive, it wasn't the Covid virus keeping us apart from visiting it was the geographical location.
We lived 1,400 miles apart! I was working at the time, and was only able to visit her in her assisted living facility 3 to 4 times a year.
She was always so happy to see me.
Well for the last 14-1/2 months of her life I finally got the bright idea, to send her flowers every 10 days with a little note attached to brighten her spirits.
And it did make her happy, and it brightened her spirits.
As she told me that when I also called her twice a week, since I couldn't be there, the flowers reminded her of me, and she knew I was thinking of her.
Her nurses also liked all the fresh flowers all the time as well.
(God bless her, she almost made it to 95)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

My hubby and I have had the two vaccs and the booster, also the flu jab now, so I suppose that is the best we can do for the moment, except of course the hand washing, the wearing of masks and the anti-Covid 19 fluid to wipe over various surfaces. Now I have a nephew living a couple of streets away from us, and he used to do interim grocery shopping for us (weekends for milk etc.). I say 'used to' because I feel loathe to ask him to get anything for us because he absolutely refuses to have the 'jabs' and insists that it is all a 'con' and a way to control people !

We are taking all the safety precautions that we can, so why should we jeopardise our health by having my nephew Richard round at our house - he doesn't even wear a face mask ! So I'm afraid it's a no no as far as Richard is concerned. I have told him how we feel, and we haven't seen him for a few weeks. I asked him if his partner and daughter have had the 'jabs' but he avoided answering so I'm assuming that they are 'jabless' like Richard. I just hope that they don't fall victims of the Covid 19 or the new variant.

I just can't understand peoples' thinking when they are anti-vaccing and trying to persuade others to not take a vaccination. How narrow-minded of them. How do they explain the numbers of deaths and the numbers of poor people languishing in hospital world-wide? I really am at a loss.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Ain't it just great. There's me getting a new job. Currently staying a swanky hotel in the heart of Liverpool, at company expense, for 2 weeks Induction Training, and now there's talk about working from home. I guess we'll find out tomorrow where we stand - Whether we remain in Liverpool for the full 2 weeks, or if we continue the trainnig back at home in Southampton, via Zoom - although the Interview was via WhatsApp.
cars

Post by cars »

Sir Falchi said today, regular Boosters likely will be required! :!: I'm not surprised, I knew it all along, it's going to be like the yearly Flu shot!
(if not even every 6 months, like it is now)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

My eldest son is now boostered. Such a shame that Doris didn't roll out vaccines for all so I could get the youngest protected too.

Luckily for my Mum the covid didn't end up in the ward, seems it was someone who had visited the hospital had covid. She's still in there though and they are not allowing visitors yet. She's waiting to be moved for rehab but I wonder if the rehab will come too late.

Return to “General Chit Chat”