Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bryn Mawr

Re: Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:27 am
magentaflame wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:06 pm
cars wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:10 am According to a Johns Hopkins University tally, the United States’ 30,021,447 cumulative cases still represent roughly one-quarter of the more than 125 million global cases, while virus-related deaths among Americans increased to 525,541, representing roughly 19% of the nearly 7.8 million global COVID-19 fatalities recorded to date.

The USA death toll is sure to skyrocket due to current "Spring Break" madness celebrated here for the last few weeks, and will continue for several more weeks, as
each school the breakers come from vary their Spring Break. Miami Fl had to issue an emergency "lockdown" of all beaches, bars, and restaurants, due to the
overwhelming number of the masses!
Is it mass denial? Don't young people realise they can spread it?
Apparently they just don't care. As for themselves when interviewed by the tv news, their attitude is: If I get covid, I get it, they think they're invincible!
Isn’t that the definition of youth?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:07 pm
cars wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:27 am
magentaflame wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:06 pm
cars wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:10 am According to a Johns Hopkins University tally, the United States’ 30,021,447 cumulative cases still represent roughly one-quarter of the more than 125 million global cases, while virus-related deaths among Americans increased to 525,541, representing roughly 19% of the nearly 7.8 million global COVID-19 fatalities recorded to date.

The USA death toll is sure to skyrocket due to current "Spring Break" madness celebrated here for the last few weeks, and will continue for several more weeks, as
each school the breakers come from vary their Spring Break. Miami Fl had to issue an emergency "lockdown" of all beaches, bars, and restaurants, due to the
overwhelming number of the masses!
Is it mass denial? Don't young people realise they can spread it?
I guess that's true. Not many 50 year old's turn up to the front line in wars eh?

Apparently they just don't care. As for themselves when interviewed by the tv news, their attitude is: If I get covid, I get it, they think they're invincible!
Isn’t that the definition of youth?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

The current position in Britain is similar to what we had last September...
Office for National Statistics data shows about one in 1,340 people in England had coronavirus in the week ending May 8.

This is the lowest figure since the week to September 5 when the estimate, which is based on a sample of the population, stood at one in 1,400.

The figures relate to people living in private households and do not include care homes, hospitals and prisons.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/r-nu ... _content=2

Which means deaths in the last week totalled 70, there's around 40,000 people currently testing positive for Covid in the country, and 2,225 new confirmed infections a day. We've been here before and let things slide, we're more than capable of doing that again.

What happened after September was a calamity. The government was reluctant and slow to re-apply any form of lockdown - Boris said he'd rather have bodies pile up in the streets than go back to one - and the eventual imposition was far too short. Too many careless people then insisted on promiscuously celebrating Christmas. Most of the UK deaths across the entire pandemic happened in the consequent wave.

We're about to re-open pubs indoors, people are going to take holidays over the summer, mass gatherings will be back on the agenda and everyone is going to say ho ho, vaccinations have us protected, it's over. I think not, and I expect the cabinet will blame mutations in the virus as opposed to their current relaxed self-congratulatory attitude.

Lockdowns and relaxations have given the UK a roller-coaster graph. Other countries have different shapes. The end result, in terms of deaths per million, has been an appalling embarrassment - it has put the UK level above all the worst major players like Brazil and America. No significant country has done worse than the UK. Let me be exact here, summarising https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/. Deaths per million population so far are worse by up to 50% in several of the smaller (<10 million population) COMECON countries, after which the rounded figures are:

2150 UK (based on death certificates; 1900 based on "deaths within 28 days of a positive test")
2050 Belgium, Italy
2000 Brazil, Peru
1900 Poland
1800 USA
1700 Spain

It already, at this stage of the pandemic, puts the country within 50% of the projections I posted at the start of last April, and those projections were of a catastrophe where over a quarter of a million people died here. The number dead when I posted was in under 2,000 and my recollection is of a reluctance to discuss the prospect. Government experts finally justified the first lockdown by announcing their intention that total UK deaths would not pass 20,000.

If we're to avoid doubling our current death count we need to avoid another surge in cases this year. The restrictions and lockdowns we've reluctantly applied so far will continue to be pointless if the numbers skyrocket again before they're tackled, which is exactly what happened in the run-up to Christmas last year when the four-week November-December lockdown was far too short and consequently ineffective.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I don't understand the mindset of people who think now they have had their two vaccines can therefore carry on as normal. I have friends on faceache asking their friends to line up for hugs.

Still waiting for my second jab, no one gets a hug. Well, maybe the children if they'll let me.

I've been to the pub once this year, that was a quiet tuesday lunchtime and outside for coffee :lol:

Random though crept in... I wonder if sexually transmitted diseases will see a surge too.

https://westcountrybylines.co.uk/indian ... rVRw6nFaxE
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

If we're to avoid doubling our current death count we need to avoid another surge in cases this year. The restrictions and lockdowns we've reluctantly applied so far will continue to be pointless if the numbers skyrocket again before they're tackled, which is exactly what happened in the run-up to Christmas last year when the four-week November-December lockdown was far too short and consequently ineffective.
December was before the vaccination programme had started and was obviously far too early - the debacle of Christmas was farcical.

At this point we’ve inoculated 70% of adults which includes 95+% of the vulnerable which totally changes the situation. A third surge, unless it was based on a yet unknowing mutation, would not gain traction in the same way as the the second one did.
spot

Post by spot »

I think we've been vaccinating the over-50s and at-risk so far, not all adults. And one in ten of the vaccinated - the 90% protection rate? - might not find it lethal but they'll be infectious when they catch it. I don't think anyone knows whether all the vaccinated can still spread it around.
But the new variant is here. What that means is still uncertain. Take the outbreak in Bolton and surrounding areas out of the picture and the situation in England looks far less alarming, suggesting the region may be an outlier. Yet some scientists working on B.1.617.2 believe it is destined to displace the dominant and highly transmissible Kent variant, B.1.1.7, in the UK and note that charts displaying the steep rise in cases look horribly similar to those that tracked the surge of the Kent variant in December.

Their concerns are backed by the Sage committee, which advised ministers on 5 May that pushing down cases of variant infections was now a “priority for policy”. A highly transmissible variant – one that spreads more easily than the Kent variant – “could lead to a very significant wave of infections, potentially larger than that seen in January 2021 if there were no interventions,” the experts said.

Epidemiologists are still wrestling with how transmissible the India variant of concern is. Public Health England believes it is at least as transmissible as the Kent variant, but preliminary work based on genome sequencing in India raises the prospect of it spreading up to 60% more easily.

To get some idea of what a faster-spreading variant could mean for the months ahead, modelling teams that feed into Sage worked up different scenarios. Assuming the vaccines hold up, more people could be hospitalised than in the first wave – putting the NHS at risk – if the variant is much more than 30% more transmissible, University of Warwick models show. At 40% more transmissible, hospitalisations could reach 6,000 per day, far above the peak of the second wave, and 10,000 per day if the variant is 50% more transmissible.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... rd-wave-uk
That's the modelling concern this week, anyway.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:49 pm I think we've been vaccinating the over-50s and at-risk so far, not all adults. And one in ten of the vaccinated - the 90% protection rate? - might not find it lethal but they'll be infectious when they catch it. I don't think anyone knows whether all the vaccinated can still spread it around.
But the new variant is here. What that means is still uncertain. Take the outbreak in Bolton and surrounding areas out of the picture and the situation in England looks far less alarming, suggesting the region may be an outlier. Yet some scientists working on B.1.617.2 believe it is destined to displace the dominant and highly transmissible Kent variant, B.1.1.7, in the UK and note that charts displaying the steep rise in cases look horribly similar to those that tracked the surge of the Kent variant in December.

Their concerns are backed by the Sage committee, which advised ministers on 5 May that pushing down cases of variant infections was now a “priority for policy”. A highly transmissible variant – one that spreads more easily than the Kent variant – “could lead to a very significant wave of infections, potentially larger than that seen in January 2021 if there were no interventions,” the experts said.

Epidemiologists are still wrestling with how transmissible the India variant of concern is. Public Health England believes it is at least as transmissible as the Kent variant, but preliminary work based on genome sequencing in India raises the prospect of it spreading up to 60% more easily.

To get some idea of what a faster-spreading variant could mean for the months ahead, modelling teams that feed into Sage worked up different scenarios. Assuming the vaccines hold up, more people could be hospitalised than in the first wave – putting the NHS at risk – if the variant is much more than 30% more transmissible, University of Warwick models show. At 40% more transmissible, hospitalisations could reach 6,000 per day, far above the peak of the second wave, and 10,000 per day if the variant is 50% more transmissible.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... rd-wave-uk
That's the modelling concern this week, anyway.
Rate of transmission is unimportant when you have a majority protected population, what matters is whether the current vaccines protect against the mutation which in the case of all current variants is yes.
spot

Post by spot »

I do see what you're saying, but it's not the reported position of Sage in the quote. I'm sure next year's government enquiry will give a verdict but until then we must wait and watch.

Taiwan has just put its population of 30 million under lockdown after their figures took a turn upward - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/taiwan/

Their total number of confirmed cases for the entire period of the pandemic hasn't reached 2,000. The UK has had more than that on every single day of the last twelve months and we still exceed it daily, and we're relaxing our restrictions tomorrow. If the UK had the wit to bring totals down to Taiwan levels first, we'd all sleep easier in our beds.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:19 am I do see what you're saying, but it's not the reported position of Sage in the quote. I'm sure next year's government enquiry will give a verdict but until then we must wait and watch.

Taiwan has just put its population of 30 million under lockdown after their figures took a turn upward - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/taiwan/

Their total number of confirmed cases for the entire period of the pandemic hasn't reached 2,000. The UK has had more than that on every single day of the last twelve months and we still exceed it daily, and we're relaxing our restrictions tomorrow. If the UK had the wit to bring totals down to Taiwan levels first, we'd all sleep easier in our beds.
I really don’t care what the British government are saying, their agenda is to scare the people into behaving. The use of scare tactics has been their go to method of getting their way since they came to power with the Scottish independence referendum being a prime example.
spot

Post by spot »

The error is entirely mine, I had thought Sage was independent.
hannahjhon

Post by hannahjhon »

hope for the best I am working for my blog <link removed by moderator> from home to just save me and my family from COVID
spot

Post by spot »

A total of 10,262 SARS-CoV-2 vaccine breakthrough infections had been reported from 46 U.S. states and territories as of April 30, 2021. Among these cases, 6,446 (63%) occurred in females, and the median patient age was 58 years

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7021e3.htm
That could have been worse then. "SARS-CoV-2 infections among persons who are fully vaccinated", 10,262 registered, lots more not registered where they were asymptomatic and untested, 160 dead. All of that balanced by the way higher figure of people protected who would otherwise have been expected to die.

Beginning May 1, 2021, CDC transitioned from monitoring all reported COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections to investigating only those among patients who are hospitalized or die, thereby focusing on the cases of highest clinical and public health significance.
Merely becoming infectious again isn't of public health significance? What an odd choice.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:30 am
Beginning May 1, 2021, CDC transitioned from monitoring all reported COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections to investigating only those among patients who are hospitalized or die, thereby focusing on the cases of highest clinical and public health significance.
Merely becoming infectious again isn't of public health significance? What an odd choice.
Focusing on the highest does not say that others are of zero interest so the choice is not odd, it’s allocation of resources.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Victoria has been in lockdown since last Thursday. Tomorrow night regional Victoria will have the harshest stuff lifted but Melbourne is copping it again for another week. Fingers crossed we won't see another outbreak....but it's the Indian strain and other Pacific countries are doing it tough too. I'm so sick of masks....yeah I said it. I feel sorry for them.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Our state is seeing about 450 a day in new infections among a population of around 4 million.
Where we live, People are naturally socially distant. most think six feet is too close.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I"m constantly ammused when someone who has no scientific background reads a science paper and takes a couple of understandings out of it and ........VOILA!!!!! here's your answer. 100's of papers before and after play no significance because "that's all boring stuff"...but look here I found a sentence! DOH!!!!

I saw a colleague yesterday in my wanderings ..has put up the biggest whoo har about not wearing a mask at work, exemptions/ culture/ their rights etc etc....saw them yesterday at a store ....wearing a mask.

"calming waters calming waters"

Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

So my aunt got Covid (my mom's sister), she didn't survive it I'm sad to say. When her daughter went to the funeral home with clothes to dress her in for the funeral, they said there was no need. When she died at the hospital they zipped her up into a airtight body bag, the funeral home put the body on ice, never opening the body bag, when the day came for the funeral they put her in the casket, still in the body bag and had a closed casket graveside service.
spot

Post by spot »

Hope6 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:34 pm So my aunt got Covid (my mom's sister), she didn't survive it I'm sad to say. When her daughter went to the funeral home with clothes to dress her in for the funeral, they said there was no need. When she died at the hospital they zipped her up into a airtight body bag, the funeral home put the body on ice, never opening the body bag, when the day came for the funeral they put her in the casket, still in the body bag and had a closed casket graveside service.
I'm sorry you lost your aunt. There have been a lot of excess deaths since the pandemic started.

There are some cultures where relatives gather to wash the body and prepare formally it for burial. It's sometimes quite difficult for the medical authorities to prevent that during outbreaks of infectious disease, but it can speed the spread of the infection dramatically of it's done conventionally.

Preparation isn't forbidden in England - the government here says
We strongly advise that any rituals or practices that bring people into close contact with the deceased with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 should be undertaken using appropriate PPE (Table 2), under supervision of somebody trained in its use.

Given the increased risk of severe COVID-19 illness in clinically vulnerable people or clinically extremely vulnerable people, it is strongly advised that they have no contact at all with the deceased. They should not participate in any activities such as washing, preparing or dressing the deceased, regardless of whether or not they are wearing PPE.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-covid-19

In Iran, volunteers come forward to maintain the standards and ritual expectations of the mourners. There's a good account at https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2020/ ... bury-virus - it's modified from normal times but it gets close to traditional practice. I can definitely understand why a commercial American hospital would have trouble with any family or volunteer involvement though.
spot

Post by spot »

This is what we in the trade call confused:
Shami Chakrabarti, Labour’s former shadow attorney general, has been on LBC this morning in the UK, and has described government plans for vaccine passports as “dangerous nonsense”. She said there was little evidence that it was “going to make us safer”. She said

I know a number of people who very sensibly like me are double vaccinated, who nonetheless have contracted Covid. Now, mercifully, because they’ve been vaccinated, they haven’t been as sick as perhaps they otherwise would have been, but they are well capable of transmitting Covid despite being double vaccinated. So, if events are unsafe to take place, because for example, it’s winter and we have another spike in transmission, if they’re unsafe to take place, these vaccine passports will not make them any safer. So I do not know what the vaccines minister is talking about.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... e-auckland

It's hard to imagine anyone getting the wronger end of the stick. Let me help.

The Covid Passport says you've had your vaccinations and neither they nor you have yet expired.

It does not imply you're less of a risk to others.

A venue requiring a Covid Passport for entry is saying it's not a safe place to enter.

Demanding a Covid Passport before entry is a demand that the person coming in is less at risk of serious illness than an unvaccinated adult would be, not that they show they're less of a threat to others. To say "these vaccine passports will not make them any safer", meaning other people in the venue, is quite true, but it fails to grasp the point - the vaccine passport holder will be safer. You're showing you're less at risk from the danger of going in. The event will kill fewer attendees if everyone attending has a Covid Passport.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:47 am This is what we in the trade call confused:
Shami Chakrabarti, Labour’s former shadow attorney general, has been on LBC this morning in the UK, and has described government plans for vaccine passports as “dangerous nonsense”. She said there was little evidence that it was “going to make us safer”. She said

I know a number of people who very sensibly like me are double vaccinated, who nonetheless have contracted Covid. Now, mercifully, because they’ve been vaccinated, they haven’t been as sick as perhaps they otherwise would have been, but they are well capable of transmitting Covid despite being double vaccinated. So, if events are unsafe to take place, because for example, it’s winter and we have another spike in transmission, if they’re unsafe to take place, these vaccine passports will not make them any safer. So I do not know what the vaccines minister is talking about.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... e-auckland

It's hard to imagine anyone getting the wronger end of the stick. Let me help.

The Covid Passport says you've had your vaccinations and neither they nor you have yet expired.

It does not imply you're less of a risk to others.

A venue requiring a Covid Passport for entry is saying it's not a safe place to enter.

Demanding a Covid Passport before entry is a demand that the person coming in is less at risk of serious illness than an unvaccinated adult would be, not that they show they're less of a threat to others. To say "these vaccine passports will not make them any safer", meaning other people in the venue, is quite true, but it fails to grasp the point - the vaccine passport holder will be safer. You're showing you're less at risk from the danger of going in. The event will kill fewer attendees if everyone attending has a Covid Passport.
It seems to me that, at this point, having a "COVID Passport" or some other proof of being vaxxed, and wearing masks when around others, is basically an indication that you are a person who understands the risks and dangers associated with this bug, and have had the intelligence to take the situation seriously, and that you value the lives of those other people with who you might cross paths.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Well it has begun...and there is going to be the proverbial shit storm. We're allowed out .....for picnics none the less. Wait for it!.......As long as every adult present is fully vaccinated.

I have a very sick feeling about this. I believe that "they" are going to allow the virus to run. And god help anyone not vaccinated.

Oh and thank you to all the countries who sent vaccines to us.....
speaking of our dildo of a prime minister.

I've been forced onto the election roll. Not my choice I didn't sign anything, the government has just done it themselves. So I'm for a life of fines after every election that ever occurs. Council, State and federal. For the next 25 years.

And jury duty for the next three months. Meh... at least I get paid for it.....actually I take that back. I do take jury duty rather seriously.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Hope6 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:34 pm So my aunt got Covid (my mom's sister), she didn't survive it I'm sad to say. When her daughter went to the funeral home with clothes to dress her in for the funeral, they said there was no need. When she died at the hospital they zipped her up into a airtight body bag, the funeral home put the body on ice, never opening the body bag, when the day came for the funeral they put her in the casket, still in the body bag and had a closed casket graveside service.
God I'm so sorry Hope.

Pandemics are a miserable place to be.

I'm feeling so sorry for the families of those who are in mass grave sites. It must be devastating.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We live in a very rural part of the state.
I was just reading the local paper for the town down the road from us in the next county.
The headlines were that the State has now issued an advisory that all schools, K-12 should require students to wear masks,
The local school board has stated that they have no intention of following the advice, unless they feel that there is an outbreak in cases in the school population.
Later in the same article, it is noted that in the second week of school, there were two cases of COVID identified in the school.
The next county over to the South, has, in the second week, announced that they have 14 new cases, and the school system is now on a plan for all students to study remotely (Stay at home and attend classes via Zoom.)

another adjacent county started the school year with a mask mandate in place, and after two weeks of classes, reports no active cases.
You think that there might be a connection?

Meanwhile, in our county, with one of the lowest rates of vaccinated adults in the state, is still deciding, two weeks on, whether they will follow the state's guideline or not.
Now, we are the least densely populated county in the region, with about 5 people per Sq. Mi, so we basically are social distancing by nature. but there are only a few schools in the entire county, so the children can very quickly spread the bug around if it gets onto the school population.
- DH Lawrence
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

spot wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:31 am
I'm sorry you lost your aunt. There have been a lot of excess deaths since the pandemic started.

There are some cultures where relatives gather to wash the body and prepare formally it for burial. It's sometimes quite difficult for the medical authorities to prevent that during outbreaks of infectious disease, but it can speed the spread of the infection dramatically of it's done conventionally.

Preparation isn't forbidden in England - the government here says
We strongly advise that any rituals or practices that bring people into close contact with the deceased with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 should be undertaken using appropriate PPE (Table 2), under supervision of somebody trained in its use.

Given the increased risk of severe COVID-19 illness in clinically vulnerable people or clinically extremely vulnerable people, it is strongly advised that they have no contact at all with the deceased. They should not participate in any activities such as washing, preparing or dressing the deceased, regardless of whether or not they are wearing PPE.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-covid-19

In Iran, volunteers come forward to maintain the standards and ritual expectations of the mourners. There's a good account at https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2020/ ... bury-virus - it's modified from normal times but it gets close to traditional practice. I can definitely understand why a commercial American hospital would have trouble with any family or volunteer involvement though.
She wasn't going to dress her mom herself, she was just bringing the clothes for the people at the funeral home to do it. I guess that funeral home wasn't taking any chances by doing any preparations to bodies of Covid victims.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:31 pm
God I'm so sorry Hope.

Pandemics are a miserable place to be.

I'm feeling so sorry for the families of those who are in mass grave sites. It must be devastating.
Thank you, there was one thing that came from it. My mom was saying she didn't want to get vaccinated, then her sister called her from the hospital and said. I'm calling you to tell you I love you and goodbye because I'm dying. This freaked my mom out. her sister was dead in 2 days time. One of the last things she said to my mom on that call was I wish I had gotten the shot. My mom went straight away and got the shot.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We now have several people, Niece and her mate and their 2 year old, a sister-in-law, a nephew and three cousins all with COVID-19.
All of them have in common the insistence that the vaccine was some sort of hoax (Well, except for the 2-year-old) and was unnecessary. They decided to take their chances. We have now heard nothing from them for a couple of days. They are all in the Metropolitan area several hours away from us.
We are staying out in the prairie, where folks think keeping six feet apart is being far too close.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

It's all getting rather grim. No children under 16 have been vaccinated in England, for example, but there are schools which have called a halt when their infectious children reached 40%. Earlier in the month I checked the world rate of people testing positive and the UK was fourth highest, under Mongolia and Cuba and (if I remember right) Namibia. For a country with one of the highest double-vaccinated rate that's an awful place to be in.

The proportion of positive cases which end up dead is remarkably low here, otherwise it would be even more intolerable.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

My son was vaccinated as soon as they opened it up to 12 and up. He was 14 at the time but his school is still requiring masks on everybody regardless of vaccine status. He doesn't have a problem wearing them, he actually decided to wear 2, to protect both his 90 year old grandmas.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

An entire branch of The Mrs' family has taken up the fight for their right to not wear masks or get the Vaccine, simply because the Democrat Governor of the state suggested that there should be mandates for wearing masks and getting the vaccine.

They also announced that there will be a family reunion in the town some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Thy don't understand why our reply to the invitation was a 'No'
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 pm An entire branch of The Mrs' family has taken up the fight for their right to not wear masks or get the Vaccine, simply because the Democrat Governor of the state suggested that there should be mandates for wearing masks and getting the vaccine.

They also announced that there will be a family reunion in the town some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I often wonder if the reaction would be the same if it were a Republican Governor who were to impose the mandate.
Covid is not a Partisan issue. It's one of Public Health.

I'm surprised the Q lot haven't started spreading Conspiracy Theory that Covid was devloped by the Democrats as the ultimate in Voter Suppression as they knew that Republicans would refuse to get the Vaccines, wear Masks or Socially Distance, thus making them the voter base to die off most, thus increasing the Democrat Majority. After all, that has far more credibility than any of their other theories.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 pm
LarsMac wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 pm An entire branch of The Mrs' family has taken up the fight for their right to not wear masks or get the Vaccine, simply because the Democrat Governor of the state suggested that there should be mandates for wearing masks and getting the vaccine.

I often wonder if the reaction would be the same if it were a Republican Governor who were to impose the mandate.
Covid is not a Partisan issue. It's one of Public Health.

I'm surprised the Q lot haven't started spreading Conspiracy Theory that Covid was devloped by the Democrats as the ultimate in Voter Suppression as they knew that Republicans would refuse to get the Vaccines, wear Masks or Socially Distance, thus making them the voter base to die off most, thus increasing the Democrat Majority. After all, that has far more credibility than any of their other theories.
Hmmm,...
You may have something there.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Even at an extreme, with say two million more voters for one party killed by Covid-19 than the other party, a Presidential election where the popular vote was only two million different would be a close-run thing.

Vaccine hesitancy in America could eventually increase the death toll by million or even two but I don't expect the imbalance in party affiliation to be significantly measurable. The vocal unvaccinated are overwhelmingly Republican and those are the ones reported on. The silent majority of the unvaccinated are non-white, and non-white voters are overwhelmingly Democrat.

I think there's more of a balance in party affiliation among the unvaccinated than appears in the news headlines.
spot

Post by spot »

One in 14 secondary school-age children had Covid last week, according to figures released by the Office for National Statistics.

The substantial increase – up from an estimated one in 20 pupils the previous week – suggests that the spread of Covid through secondary schools is far outpacing the government’s vaccination programme. It follows criticism this week from headteachers and parents about a “haphazard” vaccine rollout that is continuing to disrupt education.

The ONS survey, based on swabs collected from randomly selected households, showed an overall increase in Covid infections in England from one in 85 people to one in 70 in the week ending 2 October. The trend was driven by an apparently huge rise in infections in secondary-age children, with most age ranges showing steady or decreasing rates of positive tests.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... data-shows

Primary schools are pretty rife too at the moment. My 10 year old tested positive a couple of weeks ago. He stayed asymptomatic. he can go back after the weekend, my vaccinations kept me from catching it while he was shedding the stuff. There's staff, parents and pupils swapping it back and forth. That headline "One in 14 secondary school-age children had Covid last week" is the national average, it's not good at all, the ones that have it are all infectious.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It is said that the UK have a higher level of Cases than the rest of Europe. But, then again, we Test more than anywhere in the rest of Europe. As seen, people can be asymptomatic & test Positive. If they had not been tested nobody would have been any the wiser that they were positive. In the UK Tests are encouraged twice a week. In the rest of Europe Tests are encouraged if you develop symptoms or if known to have been in contact with someone who is Positive. It stands to reason that we're going to have a higher number of Cases. Not being aware of the Cases doesn't mean that they're not there.

I was also interested to see that according to Worldometer the UK has the highest number of Recovered Cases per Million than anywhere in the world.
spot

Post by spot »

Since the start of the outbreak, the only people in my extended family who have taken tests have been those informed they've been in contact with positive contacts. Except me, because I've been a reporter for the Zoe study in London, and that was two extra PCR tests at their request last winter.

That sounds very like "Tests are encouraged if you develop symptoms or if known to have been in contact with someone who is Positive". I'm not sure where you get "In the UK Tests are encouraged twice a week" from, perhaps you could describe that a little. I've used ten Lateral tests and four PCR tests since Covid started, and I'd guess that's more than most people.

Those who are "asymptomatic & test Positive" are infectious. That's why their contacts isolate and test.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:10 pm Since the start of the outbreak, the only people in my extended family who have taken tests have been those informed they've been in contact with positive contacts. Except me, because I've been a reporter for the Zoe study in London, and that was two extra PCR tests at their request last winter.

That sounds very like "Tests are encouraged if you develop symptoms or if known to have been in contact with someone who is Positive". I'm not sure where you get "In the UK Tests are encouraged twice a week" from, perhaps you could describe that a little.

Those who are "asymptomatic & test Positive" are infectious. That's why their contacts isolate and test.
It was pushed as something people are meant to do some time back but the advertising around this seems to have slacked off and like everything else about this government it's all mixed bloody messages. It's loosely said it's a good idea to test twice a week with a lateral flow test if you work in an office or indoors. They are meant to also be done twice a week in secondary school, college and uni settings. I think the message was to all people who mix within their work settings but its not compulsory. All care workers and hospital workers were testing twice weekly while we were still all locked down and the idea was to spread that testing to all workers as we unlocked.
My brother was expected to test whilst he was working at the hospital. My daughter was expected to do it going into the office locally each week but they never really bothered. I think she's meant to be doing it now in her new job for a local education setting, I'll double check if she is.
I generally test once a week before seeing my older mother although why I bother I'm not sure, she's more likely to catch covid and give it to me than me to her! If at another time in the week I feel I have taken a risk I take a test. Although this last week or so since my youngest has a positive PCR test I've been testing every few days. Now he's back at school I will start testing twice weekly just to make sure.
spot

Post by spot »

I wonder whether that means most people in the UK have had more tests than me then. It might well be so, I don't use work environments.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:38 pm I wonder whether that means most people in the UK have had more tests than me then. It might well be so, I don't use work environments.
There are those religiously testing and there are lots saying stuff it I'm not bothering. It's causing issues at Uni that I know of with houses of students having issues with some housemates refusing to test.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

People still don't get it. We have a couple who live in our neighborhood they decided to take a bus trip. The man came back with Covid. Why can't people just stay at home? We haven't been on a vacation since Jacob was 1 year old, simply from lack of time. It won't kill anybody to go a couple of years without going on vacation.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

A nephew of ours, a Cattle Rancher, told us he has plenty of Ivermectin on hand for his cows, so he doesn't need to get the vaccine.
- DH Lawrence
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:01 pm A nephew of ours, a Cattle Rancher, told us he has plenty of Ivermectin on hand for his cows, so he doesn't need to get the vaccine.
I have that for our cows too but I'm not gonna be thinking about taking it myself!
spot

Post by spot »

The currentt extrapolated rate of all people in England of any age who would test positive for Covid-19 if they were tested is one in fifty. I think that means one in fifty people in England are infectious at the moment.

And if anyone is good at sympathy, my short vision has completely warped over the last few months. I can only focus from three feet, and if I put my laptop screen that far away I can't reach the keyboard.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Hope6 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:54 pm
LarsMac wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:01 pm A nephew of ours, a Cattle Rancher, told us he has plenty of Ivermectin on hand for his cows, so he doesn't need to get the vaccine.
I have that for our cows too but I'm not gonna be thinking about taking it myself!
I do not understand the mindset that would forego a simple Vaccination, with the intent of treating the bug with unproven junk if they fall victim to the bug.

We now have at least six people in our town who have died in the last couple of weeks after trying one or two "Home remedies"
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:01 am The currentt extrapolated rate of all people in England of any age who would test positive for Covid-19 if they were tested is one in fifty. I think that means one in fifty people in England are infectious at the moment.

And if anyone is good at sympathy, my short vision has completely warped over the last few months. I can only focus from three feet, and if I put my laptop screen that far away I can't reach the keyboard.
No sympathy, but have you ever thought maybe an eye test would be a good idea. Then some new glasses, possibly varifocals now you're that old.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:01 am The currentt extrapolated rate of all people in England of any age who would test positive for Covid-19 if they were tested is one in fifty. I think that means one in fifty people in England are infectious at the moment.

Yup. I've been in that boat for a few years.
I've had to use prescription specs for quite a while.
I now have a set of Trifocals with which I can drive my car and see the dashboard instruments, and read google maps on my phone without having to swap specs.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, now COVID-19 has got just a little too damned close to home.
Really.
The Mrs has had a couple of difficult weeks, lately. Starting with a rather sudden, serious Bacterial infection in her leg, for which we spent a week of her receiving daily antibiotic infusions. Following that she developed a sinus infection, and was very low in energy, with no appetite. We ended up cutting short a family trip out of state to return home to secure further treatment.
the day after we got home, daughter came home from her job saying that she had been exposed to active COVID when one of the students showed positive on a test.

A week later, Mrs' symptoms had developed even stronger, and we went to the local clinic to be tested.
I and Daughter both tested negative, by the Mrs came back Positive.

The clinic recommended that she try the treatment with Monoclonal Antibodies. We went in yesterday where she received that treatment.
So, now, we have divided the house up, and we stay in our section, daughter stays in hers, and we wait to see how the antibodies handle Mom's COVID.

She is feeling better, today, but I think that it is mostly a step up from the fear of certain Death that she was worrying about after getting the news of a positive test. Being 80 and positive was, not many months ago, an almost a sure death sentence.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:27 pm Well, now COVID-19 has got just a little too damned close to home.
Really.
The Mrs has had a couple of difficult weeks, lately. Starting with a rather sudden, serious Bacterial infection in her leg, for which we spent a week of her receiving daily antibiotic infusions. Following that she developed a sinus infection, and was very low in energy, with no appetite. We ended up cutting short a family trip out of state to return home to secure further treatment.
the day after we got home, daughter came home from her job saying that she had been exposed to active COVID when one of the students showed positive on a test.

A week later, Mrs' symptoms had developed even stronger, and we went to the local clinic to be tested.
I and Daughter both tested negative, by the Mrs came back Positive.

The clinic recommended that she try the treatment with Monoclonal Antibodies. We went in yesterday where she received that treatment.
So, now, we have divided the house up, and we stay in our section, daughter stays in hers, and we wait to see how the antibodies handle Mom's COVID.

She is feeling better, today, but I think that it is mostly a step up from the fear of certain Death that she was worrying about after getting the news of a positive test. Being 80 and positive was, not many months ago, an almost a sure death sentence.
Wishing her a swift and full recovery.
spot

Post by spot »

It's a very opportunistic virus, I expect we'll all have a ago eventually.

The ready-on-demand antibodies sound a powerful way forward though, I also hope you-all clear it up and get back to normalcy. Or whatever passes for it these days.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

All aboard the covid train!! Been packed onto a train today for five hours, the only mask I can see is my own. Better make sure I keep testing daily after this journey.

Hope Mrs Lars is improving daily and you and your daughter remain free of the virus.
cars

Post by cars »

Lucky Me, I was getting my yearly checkup at my doc's yesterday, and he said he had a cancellation by a patient who was supposed to get a covid-19 booster shot.
He asked me if I wanted it, so I got my booster shot yesterday!
Cars :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”