Request for feedback on adjustments to FG

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Chuckle. Bill the Cat from Bloom County!

I've had log in problems since the last time I was on - I was just told I could not log in because I didn't have permission if I remember right. This is the first time I've tried since mid Dec and it worked fine.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Post by spot »

Very appropriate comment too, the graphic.

I'm going to do a fresh install of the latest version of vBulletin 4 and then attempt to graft the database onto it, I don't think there's any database error, just template errors at the moment.

One consequence is that I might lose the tailored appearance of the site for a few days but I'd rather do that and then try to put the green and the shape back than struggle on with the present state. FG might look blue and the menus might be in strange places for a while if I put the revisions live before it goes out of date. I intend to not lose any of the message base, albums, games or attachments.

5 hours down time from Monday 7th January 10:00 UTC. That's two in the morning for Californians possibly, give or take any daylight savings.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Clodhopper;1521826 wrote: I was just told I could not log in because I didn't have permission if I remember right.

I've not seen that. It might be cleared by deleting all FG cache and cookies in your browser at which point I would hope it didn't recur.

I'm aware of the oddity relating to Night Watchman's post, that visibility issue doesn't affect any other poster.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1521840 wrote: 5 hours down time from Monday 7th January 10:00 UTC. That's two in the morning for Californians possibly, give or take any daylight savings.

Done, the site visible now (2019.01.07) is still the original. I'll put up another notice before I switch servers, there's a lot of testing to do first.
spot

Post by spot »

There will be a further test window here at 17:00 GMT Wednesday 9th January for an hour, though see the notification page at the time for any adjustment to that estimate.

For anyone wanting to see a small miracle I attach a screenshot of the change log. The small miracle is the temperature my processor is running at. That, for anyone in the US, is 65 degrees Fahrenheit. Or do temperature sensors in the US report in Celcius too, I don't know.

Attached files
spot

Post by spot »

Right, that was useful. We're back on the mainstream site, the test site needs work.

I'll report back when I've written that up.
spot

Post by spot »

Another brief check of the test site at 17:00 GMT Thursday.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1521862 wrote: There will be a further test window here at 17:00 GMT Wednesday 9th January for an hour, though see the notification page at the time for any adjustment to that estimate.

For anyone wanting to see a small miracle I attach a screenshot of the change log. The small miracle is the temperature my processor is running at. That, for anyone in the US, is 65 degrees Fahrenheit. Or do temperature sensors in the US report in Celcius too, I don't know.

We use C for our sensors, as well. Though, customers can choose to display temps in F on the management platform. Not many bother with it, but one big Re-seller insisted that the option be there.

18 C is pretty remarkable. You must have a damned good chiller.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1521868 wrote: We use C for our sensors, as well. Though, customers can choose to display temps in F on the management platform. Not many bother with it, but one big Re-seller insisted that the option be there.

18 C is pretty remarkable. You must have a damned good chiller.

Trouble is that the refrigeration is external to the computer :-)
spot

Post by spot »

Right. we're back, this is the live site again.

Same again tomorrow, same time.
spot

Post by spot »

Thank you everyone. I'll try to keep any downtime to under 30 minutes from now on, while I test the site upgrade. It will take a while longer.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1521874 wrote: Thank you everyone. I'll try to keep any downtime to under 30 minutes from now on, while I test the site upgrade. It will take a while longer.

My head hurts!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Please do, Spot, the posts must be getting stuck somewhere.

As an aside: Anyone know what's happened to Wandrin? I haven't seen him in quite some time.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1521876 wrote: Please do, Spot, the posts must be getting stuck somewhere.

As an aside: Anyone know what's happened to Wandrin? I haven't seen him in quite some time.

You're right, no posts since the middle of October and last logged in the middle of November - does anyone have contact with him?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, here's a new "broken" item.

It seems that the "friend accept" thing might be broken.

G#Gill sent a friend request to me, and nothing I do seems to set the Accept request, or clear the notification.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I've added it to the list but quite honestly there's not a lot Bryn or I can do to nail the site together again on the current site. He's out of town at the moment but the answer is a rebuild, and we have that in hand. The current site is just going to have to limp on until we get the new host fully installed with the current data added.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1522039 wrote: I've added it to the list but quite honestly there's not a lot Bryn or I can do to nail the site together again on the current site. He's out of town at the moment but the answer is a rebuild, and we have that in hand. The current site is just going to have to limp on until we get the new host fully installed with the current data added.

Had a feeling that was what you were going to say.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”