Brett Kavanaugh

Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1520912 wrote: This unity that you refer to is more of a shift in the membership as the lunatics take over the farm, and those with any measure of sanity abandon their posts and run for their lives.A lot of commentators make this point, and it's true from a conventional perspective. There appears to be a new normal, however. The gatekeepers of the Republican party planted these seeds and nurtured the growth of the "lunatic's" takeover, and then, yes, they bailed.

That leaves me to wonder if they were unconscious of what they had been doing or their focus was so narrow that they, in effect, took what they could get during their time, and then ran. The latter is more indicative of the Republican mindset I'm familiar with. Corporate raider types. Sociopaths.

Frankly, I'm pleased to see the destruction of conventional politics. I like what this presidency has done to shake up normalcy, as it were. I don't care for Trump as a person or his administration, however, they are exactly what they claim to be and I find that refreshing. We need a similar shakeup of the Democratic party with better actors.

The tribal reference I made is because that in spite of the fact that Trump has not actually done anything he promised for rank and file followers, by flowing money to the rich and nominating and pushing through a privileged Yalie to the SC, they stand behind him. They are obviously not paying attention, they are just cheering on an idea of nonconventionality.

LarsMac;1520912 wrote: The Democrats were at their best when they had a true purpose - Like ending segregation. I agree. They need to embrace a new purpose. I'm afraid their obligations to Wall Street are too great an obstacle to overcome.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1520914 wrote: A lot of commentators make this point, and it's true from a conventional perspective. There appears to be a new normal, however. The gatekeepers of the Republican party planted these seeds and nurtured the growth of the "lunatic's" takeover, and then, yes, they bailed.

That leaves me to wonder if they were unconscious of what they had been doing or their focus was so narrow that they, in effect, took what they could get during their time, and then ran. The latter is more indicative of the Republican mindset I'm familiar with. Corporate raider types. Sociopaths.

Frankly, I'm pleased to see the destruction of conventional politics. I like what this presidency has done to shake up normalcy, as it were. I don't care for Trump as a person or his administration, however, they are exactly what they claim to be and I find that refreshing. We need a similar shakeup of the Democratic party with better actors.

The tribal reference I made is because that in spite of the fact that Trump has not actually done anything he promised for rank and file followers, by flowing money to the rich and nominating and pushing through a privileged Yalie to the SC, they stand behind him. They are obviously not paying attention, they are just cheering on an idea of nonconventionality.

I agree. They need to embrace a new purpose. I'm afraid their obligations to Wall Street are too great an obstacle to overcome.

Any one who ever believed that either party ever truly had the welfare of the common man in mind was not paying attention.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1520915 wrote: Any one who ever believed that either party ever truly had the welfare of the common man in mind was not paying attention.

Well said.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

There have been times when it worked out well though. Lincoln, FDR and LBJ.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wandrin

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1520907 wrote: There is actually some serious talk about the ABA (American Bar Association) investigating him for his behavior, and for his comments, under Oath, to the Senate Committee.

What would happen to his spot on the bench if the ABA disbarred his sorry a$$.

That could prove interesting.

That's a very interesting question. As I understand it, the Constitution doesn't say that Supreme Court judges have to have license to practice law. So, theoretically, he could be disbarred and not lose his seat. I could be very wrong on this, of course.
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1520921 wrote: That's a very interesting question. As I understand it, the Constitution doesn't say that Supreme Court judges have to have license to practice law. So, theoretically, he could be disbarred and not lose his seat. I could be very wrong on this, of course.

I had to look it up.

You're right. There really is no "official" qualifications for the bench.

Any idiot that is nominated by the POTUS, and confirmed by the US Senate can be a Justice.

So much for the notion of the sanctity of the court.

Apparently the authors of the constitution never really considered the SCOTUS to be terribly important. Whatever authority and gravity the court has today is a result of 200+ years of work the men and women who accepted the appointment have put into the task.

We're so screwed.

I think I need a drink.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

Sad that some here see the need for an unelected body, to replace our Constitution.

There is a way to remove a justice, but it is a lawful procedure starting with the presumption of innocence. "Sorry, that stand in the way."

NOT

Be careful what you all wish for.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1520925 wrote: Sad that some here see the need for an unelected body, to replace our Constitution.

There is a way to remove a justice, but it is a lawful procedure starting with the presumption of innocence. "Sorry, that stand in the way."

NOT

Be careful what you all wish for.

Well, He is duly appointed per the constitution, and therefore, now a Justice of the US Supreme Court.

He has shown no evidence of innocence, near as I can tell.

His tirade during the hearing was anything but bipartisan, and is actions on the bench, as well has his actions prior to his first judicial appointment show him to be as partisan as they come.

Your "presumption of innocence" only applies to the accusations of criminal action. To my knowledge, no one has yet taken that step.

Though there is substantial mounting evidence that indicates he may have lied to Congress during his testimony to the Senate subcommittee.

Lying to Congress is a Class 3 Felony.

Of course none of that will really matter, for now, so it looks like we are stuck with him.

We certainly live in interesting times.
- DH Lawrence
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

As for the saying "beware what you wish for" ... this also applies to the GOP. It's in an unwinnable political situation now, with Roe v Wade.

If they overturn it, they will lose the vote of half the country. If they don't, they will lose support from evangelicals.

Before, the GOP always had a plausible excuse: that they needed to stack the court with political operatives (and maybe a couple sex offenders) in order to overturn abortion rights. Now, they just lost their one excuse.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

yaaarrrgg;1520928 wrote: As for the saying "beware what you wish for" ... this also applies to the GOP. It's in an unwinnable political situation now, with Roe v Wade.

If they overturn it, they will lose the vote of half the country. If they don't, they will lose support from evangelicals.

Before, the GOP always had a plausible excuse: that they needed to stack the court with political operatives (and maybe a couple sex offenders) in order to overturn abortion rights. Now, they just lost their one excuse.I hadn't thought of that.

I can't see them trying to overturn Roe because my understanding is that it's too established. What I do see happening is the Supreme Court finding any way it can to support the restrictions on abortion rights filtering up from state legislatures. I'm no legal expert but I have the impression that's the best avenue open to them. I imagine there will be lots of reproductive-related cases that will be more acceptable for the court to hear. Though I don't think Kavanaugh is much different than Kennedy was.

There are many ironies to the conservative position on reproductive issues.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Clodhopper

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Clodhopper »

Just another example of the corruption that is Trump. Even if appointed (as seems likely) he will always be seen as Trump's choice and that will leave an indelible stain. Not that it will stop him affecting US law at the highest level for the next 30 or 40 years (Thinks: Stepford Wives...). That he's unfit for office if proposed by Trump goes without saying.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Ahso!;1520929 wrote: I hadn't thought of that.

I can't see them trying to overturn Roe because my understanding is that it's too established. What I do see happening is the Supreme Court finding any way it can to support the restrictions on abortion rights filtering up from state legislatures. I'm no legal expert but I have the impression that's the best avenue open to them. I imagine there will be lots of reproductive-related cases that will be more acceptable for the court to hear. Though I don't think Kavanaugh is much different than Kennedy was.

There are many ironies to the conservative position on reproductive issues.

Yeah I could see that. I suppose preachers might also lower the pressure on the abortion issue, since they do whatever the GOP asks.

Kennedy wasn't much of a swing vote, from what I've seen. Especially if he was ok with letting Trump pick his replacement before the midterms.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1520926 wrote: Well, He is duly appointed per the constitution, and therefore, now a Justice of the US Supreme Court.

He has shown no evidence of innocence, near as I can tell.[/b[

Only the assertion of guilt not only without evidence but a sketchy story at that. As far as I can tell.

LarsMac;1520926 wrote: His tirade during the hearing was anything but bipartisan,

SO? He responded to a partisan attack. He was not speaking as a judge, but as a man who spoke in defense to the slander and venom by the Democrats.

LarsMac;1520926 wrote: and is actions on the bench,

I didn't catch that during the hearing.

LarsMac;1520926 wrote: as well has his actions prior to his first judicial appointment show him to be as partisan as they come.

Not sure what in particular bothers you which could have been brought up in the hearing.

LarsMac;1520926 wrote: Your "presumption of innocence" only applies to the accusations of criminal action. To my knowledge, no one has yet taken that step.

He was never arrested that is true. It seems the statue of limitations now prevents that What Are the Maryland Statutes of Limitations for Sexual Abuse?

LarsMac;1520926 wrote: Though there is substantial mounting evidence that indicates he may have lied to Congress during his testimony to the Senate subcommittee.

Lying to Congress is a Class 3 Felony.

So call a cop.

LarsMac;1520926 wrote: Of course none of that will really matter, for now, so it looks like we are stuck with him.

Someday the children will grow up, I hopes.

Protesters Swarm Door Of Supreme Court | MSNBC
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

Clodhopper;1520932 wrote: Just another example of the corruption that is Trump. Even if appointed (as seems likely) he will always be seen as Trump's choice and that will leave an indelible stain. Not that it will stop him affecting US law at the highest level for the next 30 or 40 years (Thinks: Stepford Wives...). That he's unfit for office if proposed by Trump goes without saying.

Corruption?

The only reason I might have voted for Trump was his promise to select a true conservative to be a justice to the supreme court, which he did.

It is speculative how many votes he received because of that promise, but I suspect quite a few.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

yaaarrrgg;1520928 wrote: As for the saying "beware what you wish for" ... this also applies to the GOP. It's in an unwinnable political situation now, with Roe v Wade.

Overturning Roe has never been the cards. The fear has been a great Democratic vote-getter.

yaaarrrgg;1520928 wrote: Before, the GOP always had a plausible excuse: that they needed to stack the court with political operatives

Only the Supreme Court overturn Roe.

yaaarrrgg;1520928 wrote: (and maybe a couple sex offenders) in order to overturn abortion rights. Now, they just lost their one excuse.

Uh huh.

Oh, BTW, where did you hear that rumor that Ruth Ginsburg was a sex offender?

AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1520946 wrote:

Someday the children will grow up, I hopes.

Protesters Swarm Door Of Supreme Court | MSNBC

You are not complaining about the 1st Amendment, are you? You sure don't complain about the 2nd.
AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1520926 wrote:

I don't find this interesting at all. I find this time to be disgusting, repellent, nasty, and reminiscent of passages straight from the novel 1984:

"The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but, on the contrary, that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary. A hideous ecstasy of fear and vindictiveness, a desire to kill, to torture, to smash faces in with a sledge-hammer, seemed to flow through the whole group of people like an electric current, turning one even against one's will into a grimacing, screaming lunatic."

Accurate description of a Trump rally. Lock them up.
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1520947 wrote: Corruption?

The only reason I might have voted for Trump was his promise to select a true conservative to be a justice to the supreme court, which he did.

It is speculative how many votes he received because of that promise, but I suspect quite a few.

I do not see how Trump, or ANY of his cronies can be considered "True Conservatives"
- DH Lawrence
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

tude dog;1520948 wrote: Overturning Roe has never been the cards. The fear has been a great Democratic vote-getter.

Only the Supreme Court overturn Roe.

I know many evangelicals and Catholics who vote on this issue alone. They are seriously wanting to overturn it.

At this point I'm thinking democrats are fighting a losing battle on this issue. Not all states want equal rights. It's hard to fight for rights for everyone when half the country (particularly females) vote against their own interests.
AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

yaaarrrgg;1520953 wrote:

Not all states want equal rights.

And.....that is why we need tough federal laws to supersede, ensuring the civil rights of every inhabitant no matter where within our borders they reside.
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1520954 wrote: And.....that is why we need tough federal laws to supersede, ensuring the civil rights of every inhabitant no matter where within our borders they reside.

Strange that there are people who would claim the government is being oppressive when it tries to ensure equal rights for everybody.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1520950 wrote: You are not complaining about the 1st Amendment, are you? You sure don't complain about the 2nd.

No complaints here.

Crowding the door to me just looked childish. Brought back images of the 60's taking over the deans office at Berkely. Other than that it looked like people peaceably assembled.

Doesn't mean I have to be impressed with their message.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1520952 wrote: I do not see how Trump, or ANY of his cronies can be considered "True Conservatives"

First of all, I never ever called Trump a conservative.

I don't see how just because Trump appointed conservative Cavanah to the USSP makes him a "crony."
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1520960 wrote: First of all, I never ever called Trump a conservative.

I don't see how just because Trump appointed conservative Cavanah to the USSP makes him a "crony."

You don't think Trump picked Kavanaugh as a result of his own deep inspection of the the guy's credentials, do you?
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1520956 wrote: No complaints here.

Crowding the door to me just looked childish. Brought back images of the 60's taking over the deans office at Berkely. Other than that it looked like people peaceably assembled.

Doesn't mean I have to be impressed with their message.Brooks Brothers riots anyone?

Mob Scene In Miami - TIME

I tend to believe this is like wasting Remi Martin on an alcoholic.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1520951 wrote: I don't find this interesting at all. I find this time to be disgusting, repellent, nasty, and reminiscent of passages straight from the novel 1984:

"The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but, on the contrary, that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary. A hideous ecstasy of fear and vindictiveness, a desire to kill, to torture, to smash faces in with a sledge-hammer, seemed to flow through the whole group of people like an electric current, turning one even against one's will into a grimacing, screaming lunatic."

Accurate description of a Trump rally. Lock them up.

No disrespect intended but this is how I've perceived the Democratic protests of late. Hate filled and frantic. It amazes me how two people can see the same thing and perceive them completely different.

I'm not a Trump apologist by any stretch of the imagination but in these hearings all I saw was the Democrats pulling an eleventh hour partisan, hail mary, subterfuge. Possibly all fabricated, definitely without any real evidence. And they didn't care if it was true or not, all they cared about was getting BK disqualified even if they had to ruin his reputation and destroy his career. Not to mention the pain his family had to bear.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1520963 wrote: all I saw was the Democrats pulling an eleventh hour partisan, hail mary, subterfuge. Possibly all fabricated, definitely without any real evidence. And they didn't care if it was true or not, all they cared about was getting BK disqualified even if they had to ruin his reputation and destroy his career. Not to mention the pain his family had to bear.Why did they wait for Kavanaugh and not do this to Gorsuch? It would have made more sense sabotaging the Gorsuch nomination since it had been closer to the time when Republicans deprived Obama from making the pick.

The timing of the nomination could have been more flexible. Why not do that so to wipe any idea of impropriety off the record? It serves the republican party more to do that. They had all the time in the world to go through this process. They'll not admit that, but it's true. Their reasoning for setting the time in stone was, ironically enough, to give themselves more time to come up with a new nominee if Kavanaugh had not been able to be confirmed if they needed to.

Another issue is that Ford knew who Kavanaugh's circle of friends were, even giving Kavanaugh his out by putting Judge in the room. Had this been a setup I don't think Ford would have been able to know these people unless it was fed to her. And that I find completely nonsensical given everything we do know as fact.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1520961 wrote: You don't think Trump picked Kavanaugh as a result of his own deep inspection of the the guy's credentials, do you?

I wonder how much any president does his own deep inspection, whatever that means?

Much has been made of his list of 25. I compliment the president for being open and realizing it would help him on his campaign.
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1520964 wrote: Why did they wait for Kavanaugh and not do this to Gorsuch? It would have made more sense sabotaging the Gorsuch nomination since it had been closer to the time when Republicans deprived Obama from making the pick.

The timing of the nomination could have been more flexible. Why not do that so to wipe any idea of impropriety off the record? It serves the republican party more to do that. They had all the time in the world to go through this process. They'll not admit that, but it's true. Their reasoning for setting the time in stone was, ironically enough, to give themselves more time to come up with a new nominee if Kavanaugh had not been able to be confirmed if they needed to.

Another issue is that Ford knew who Kavanaugh's circle of friends were, even giving Kavanaugh his out by putting Judge in the room. Had this been a setup I don't think Ford would have been able to know these people unless it was fed to her. And that I find completely nonsensical given everything we do know as fact.

I'm sick of all the partisan politics, that's one reason Trump got elected he wasn't really tied to either one even though he ran as republican. They even battled him at the start. People are sick of the career politicians that go into to office, get rich, then just do what they have to do to get re elected and continue to get richer without caring about Joe American.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1520966 wrote: I'm sick of all the partisan politicsMe too. I think they count on us to feel that way.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

YZGI;1520963 wrote: 1. No disrespect intended but this is how I've perceived the Democratic protests of late. Hate filled and frantic. It amazes me how two people can see the same thing and perceive them completely different.

2. I'm not a Trump apologist by any stretch of the imagination but in these hearings all I saw was the Democrats pulling an eleventh hour partisan, hail mary, subterfuge. Possibly all fabricated, definitely without any real evidence. And they didn't care if it was true or not, all they cared about was getting BK disqualified even if they had to ruin his reputation and destroy his career. Not to mention the pain his family had to bear.

1. Funny, not ha ha funny, but I see disrespect in your post. Calm, but possibly hate filled and frantic. I guess we perceive things completely different.

2. Subterfuge, possibly ALL fabricated. So, Ford made up her story? Or lived with it throughout her life, not to mention the pain SHE had to bear. For a man whose reputation was ruined, for a man whose career was destroyed he sure was richly rewarded.

What about the pain his prior decisions may have cost Joe or Joan American? What about the pain his future decisions may cost? I think your pity is sorely misplaced.

Hopefully, now that he is independent for a lifetime, he will surprise me. Hopefully, as in his sworn testimony he behaved like a jerk, which for me disqualified him no matter what happened to Ford.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1520968 wrote: 1. Funny, not ha ha funny, but I see disrespect in your post. Calm, but possibly hate filled and frantic. I guess we perceive things completely different.

2. Subterfuge, possibly ALL fabricated. So, Ford made up her story? Or lived with it throughout her life, not to mention the pain SHE had to bear. For a man whose reputation was ruined, for a man whose career was destroyed he sure was richly rewarded.

What about the pain his prior decisions may have cost Joe or Joan American? What about the pain his future decisions may cost? I think your pity is sorely misplaced.

Hopefully, now that he is independent for a lifetime, he will surprise me. Hopefully, as in his sworn testimony he behaved like a jerk, which for me disqualified him no matter what happened to Ford.

Ya gotta take a breath, relax.

I read YZGI and am envious of his calm reason comments.

Why not just admit it, Democrats can't depend on the USSC to be a legislative arm of

for the Dems.
AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1520969 wrote: Ya gotta take a breath, relax.

I read YZGI and am envious of his calm reason comments.

Why not just admit it, Democrats can't depend on the USSC to be a legislative arm of

for the Dems.

USSC? I suppose, given the context, you mean United States Supreme Court and not the United States Sentencing Commission? Mmmm, maybe you do. However, assuming the former, yeah, learned that one in 2000, Bush v Gore.

Obviously, do not find YZGI's comments to be reasonable. In fact, I don't agree. I do agree with his statement that different people see things differently. "Different strokes for different folks," if you will.

I will never relax as long as ReThuglicans rule 4 important parts of government. No reasonable person with intelligence would do or is doing.

Chillax yourself, porky.
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I noticed the last 9 ex-justices were all nominated by Republicans. That's a whole court.

Kavanaugh isn't anything new... It's the same game, different name.

The only thing new is that they had to abandon the 60 vote rule because he was such a poor choice.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

All Kavanaugh and Judge ever needed to do to close this whole issue out was volunteer for a polygraph. They never did.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

yaaarrrgg;1520971 wrote: I noticed the last 9 ex-justices were all nominated by Republicans. That's a whole court.

Kavanaugh isn't anything new... It's the same game, different name.

The only thing new is that they had to abandon the 60 vote rule because he was such a poor choice.

The super majority rule got tossed by the Dems a few year back. The Pubs are just taking advantage of the Dems' stupidity.

I hate it when that happens.
- DH Lawrence
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

LarsMac;1520973 wrote: The super majority rule got tossed by the Dems a few year back. The Pubs are just taking advantage of the Dems' stupidity.

I wasn't sure, so I just looked it up now. :-) It looks like the democrats used the option in some cases, but excluded Supreme Court. That was Mitch's idea. From Wikipedia:

"November 2013, Senate Democrats used the nuclear option to eliminate the 60-vote rule on executive branch nominations and federal judicial appointments, but not for the Supreme Court[1]. In April 2017, Senate Republicans led by Mitch McConnell extended the nuclear option to Supreme Court and the nomination of Neil Gorsuch ending the debate[2]."

So, it looks like the last two justices barely got through by the skin of their teeth. And these people are supposed to represent the interests of the whole country?
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1520970 wrote: USSC? I suppose, given the context, you mean United States Supreme Court and not the United States Sentencing Commission? Mmmm, maybe you do. However, assuming the former, yeah, learned that one in 2000, Bush v Gore.

Obviously, do not find YZGI's comments to be reasonable. In fact, I don't agree. I do agree with his statement that different people see things differently. "Different strokes for different folks," if you will.

I will never relax as long as ReThuglicans rule 4 important parts of government. No reasonable person with intelligence would do or is doing.

Chillax yourself, porky.

Hmm, I see the two parties as different sides of the same coin fighting over who has the biggest half of the piece of candy. My philosophy in voting for the last 20 years or so has been to never vote for an incumbent, I don't care what party they are in. I think its stupid to keep voting them in just because they are of a certain party.Do you vote party line?
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1520968 wrote: 1. Funny, not ha ha funny, but I see disrespect in your post. Calm, but possibly hate filled and frantic. I guess we perceive things completely different.

Really?

So, you know as a fact that this happened the way she said? There is no possibility of remembering it skewed?

Can you give me details of any decisions he has made that may have cost Joan pain?

I wonder how you may react if someone accused you of being a Rethuglican (your word), or any other possible untruth.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1520973 wrote: The super majority rule got tossed by the Dems a few year back. The Pubs are just taking advantage of the Dems' stupidity.

Me too.

Somebody has to create a "Profiles in Courage" moment, step across the aisle to counter the hate and venom.

The thing is, everybody must give up something.

Thinking about that, really don't know what I would give up, but it would look different once I see the sausage being made.
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1520976 wrote: Hmm, I see the two parties as different sides of the same coin fighting over who has the biggest half of the piece of candy. My philosophy in voting for the last 20 years or so has been to never vote for an incumbent, I don't care what party they are in. I think its stupid to keep voting them in just because they are of a certain party.Do you vote party line?

Well, I have not been a party line voter in the past.

But on the national level, I think that's about to change. I've watched our usually independent thinking republican congressmen and Senator fall in line with the thuglicans this last couple of years, and I think it's time to trim that GOP majority back a bit.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

YZGI;1520976 wrote: Hmm, I see the two parties as different sides of the same coin fighting over who has the biggest half of the piece of candy. My philosophy in voting for the last 20 years or so has been to never vote for an incumbent, I don't care what party they are in. I think its stupid to keep voting them in just because they are of a certain party.Do you vote party line?

Do I vote party line? No, of course not. For example, if a pro-choice incumbent were to be running against an anti choice, anti gay, racist religious nut case well of course I would immediately drop all my values and principles in order to throw the bum out.

What about you? Do issues, your personal principles and values have nothing to do with how you cast your vote? If not, you may not relate to it but you are an anarchist.
AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

YZGI;1520977 wrote: I wonder how you may react if someone accused you of being a Rethuglican (your word), or any other possible untruth.

How would I react? Haven't run for Supreme Court Justice lately. Therefore, expect as much from me as I would of you. I do, however, expect more of anyone claiming to be a mature, responsible professional. So should you. BTW, your reaction to Rethuglican speaks volumes.
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1520984 wrote: Do I vote party line? No, of course not. For example, if a pro-choice incumbent were to be running against an anti choice, anti gay, racist religious nut case well of course I would immediately drop all my values and principles in order to throw the bum out.

What about you? Do issues, your personal principles and values have nothing to do with how you cast your vote? If not, you may not relate to it but you are an anarchist.

Of course issues come into play, but if we keep voting the same people in no matter which party it is we continue down the professional money grubbing good ole boy (girl) system that gets nothing done except spend tax payer money fighting each other and name calling.

And just for your info,I am an Independant, I am pro-choice, I believe we need national health care, I couldn't care less of anyones sexual preference or religion or lack thereof. I am also for law abiding immigration and am against illegal immigration. I am for fair trade deals, I am for every other nation paying there fair share for NATO. I think before we give billions of dollars to other nations we need to take care of our own, including our citizens who have served in our military.

I am not a great fan of Trump but he is our President and if nothing else he deserves the respect that should go to the President. I think it's ridiculous the way the media do everything in their power to undermine everything he does. He gets no credit when he does good things for our country.

Did I forget to say that I did vote for Obama, once.
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1520985 wrote: How would I react? Haven't run for Supreme Court Justice lately. Therefore, expect as much from me as I would of you. I do, however, expect more of anyone claiming to be a mature, responsible professional. So should you. BTW, your reaction to Rethuglican speaks volumes.

Name calling is neither mature,responsible or professional. Neither is unsubstantiated accusations.
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I've heard that Trump deserves respect, but I'm not sure how he earned it. He spent about 7 years peddling a racist birther lie about Obama. That alone should disqualify him. The Central Park Five case also follows a similar pattern.

He's mostly all BS, playing to the Southern Strategy.

This is a guy who said the election would be rigged, and the result should not be accepted. He lost the popular vote. He joins the ranks of Bush as our second recent non-democratic president. People are cool with gerrymandering. What's 3 million votes after all?

Meanwhile, his lawyer and campaign manager, as well as others around him, are going to prison. Didn't he promise to hire the smartest people? He says the Mueller probe is a witch Hunt, but it's turned up a bunch of witches.

As for accomplishments, he's done more harm than good. Aside from picking supreme Court nominees from a sheet of paper given to him, his only significant accomplishment was passing tax reform. Or that's what they called it. It is saddling the country with crippling debt now.

On top of all this, Trump is the guy scared to release his tax returns, probably for fear they will expose lies and possible crimes. Even though he promised he would after the election. Big red flag.

But the sore point is he's a guy that brags about grabbing women by the genitals, without even asking. The 19 women who filed complaints towards him are credible. Which is why he's particularly tone deaf to put someone on the court with similar problems.

As Ford's testimony, it was credible. She specified information that was non public. How did she know that he drank alcohol illegally? His calendar looked like he partied a lot. Parts of Kavanaugh's defense was contradicted by people who knew him. You notice he never took a lie detector test. And the FBI didn't talk to a lot of people.

All the controversy would have been avoided if they stuck with the 60 vote rule. Instead he's making a huge power grab.

Personally I just view Trump more like a comedy. A guy BS's his way to the oval office. Would be a great movie. It's all kinda funny in a way, though the joke is on us.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: I've heard that Trump deserves respect, but I'm not sure how he earned it. He spent about 7 years peddling a racist birther lie about Obama. That alone should disqualify him. The Central Park Five case also follows a similar pattern.

He's mostly all BS, playing to the Southern Strategy.

This is a guy who said the election would be rigged, and the result should not be accepted. He lost the popular vote. He joins the ranks of Bush as our second recent non-democratic president. People are cool with gerrymandering. What's 3 million votes after all?

Meanwhile, his lawyer and campaign manager, as well as others around him, are going to prison. Didn't he promise to hire the smartest people? He says the Mueller probe is a witch Hunt, but it's turned up a bunch of witches.

As for accomplishments, he's done more harm than good. Aside from picking supreme Court nominees from a sheet of paper given to him, his only significant accomplishment was passing tax reform. Or that's what they called it. It is saddling the country with crippling debt now.

On top of all this, Trump is the guy scared to release his tax returns, probably for fear they will expose lies and possible crimes. Even though he promised he would after the election. Big red flag.

But the sore point is he's a guy that brags about grabbing women by the genitals, without even asking. The 19 women who filed complaints towards him are credible. Which is why he's particularly tone deaf to put someone on the court with similar problems.

As Ford's testimony, it was credible. She specified information that was non public. How did she know that he drank alcohol illegally? His calendar looked like he partied a lot. Parts of Kavanaugh's defense was contradicted by people who knew him. You notice he never took a lie detector test. And the FBI didn't talk to a lot of people.

All the controversy would have been avoided if they stuck with the 60 vote rule. Instead he's making a huge power grab.

Personally I just view Trump more like a comedy. A guy BS's his way to the oval office. Would be a great movie. It's all kinda funny in a way, though the joke is on us.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: I've heard that Trump deserves respect, but I'm not sure how he earned it. He spent about 7 years peddling a racist birther lie about Obama. That alone should disqualify him.

That and the number of years dodging the draft, which IMO disqualified Bill Clinton. If I bothered I could attack Hillary for similar reasons.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: He's mostly all BS, playing to the Southern Strategy.

Whatever that is.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: This is a guy who said the election would be rigged, and the result should not be accepted. He lost the popular vote. He joins the ranks of Bush as our second recent non-democratic president. People are cool with gerrymandering. What's 3 million votes after all?

He cried and still cries about how he is unfairly treated. He also challenged the popular vote. Seems the two of you fail to recognize the wisdom of our founding fathers in drafting a constitution which allows a system which represents all of America.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: I've heard that Trump deserves respect, but I'm not sure how he earned it. He spent about 7 years peddling a racist birther lie about Obama. That alone should disqualify him.

That and the number of years dodging the draft, which IMO disqualified Bill Clinton. If I bothered I could attack Hillary for similar reasons.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: He's mostly all BS, playing to the Southern Strategy.

Whatever that is.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: This is a guy who said the election would be rigged, and the result should not be accepted. He lost the popular vote. He joins the ranks of Bush as our second recent non-democratic president. People are cool with gerrymandering. What's 3 million votes after all?

He cried and still cries about how he is unfairly treated. He also challenged the popular vote. Seems the two of you fail to recognize the wisdom of our founding fathers in draftint a constitution which allows a system which represents all of America.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: Meanwhile, his lawyer and campaign manager, as well as others around him, are going to prison. Didn't he promise to hire the smartest people? He says the Mueller probe is a witch Hunt, but it's turned up a bunch of witches.

Ya ain't leaned about promises?

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: As for accomplishments, he's done more harm than good. Aside from picking supreme Court nominees from a sheet of paper given to him,

That was part of a promise which he kept, t select a Justice who favore the Constutiion.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: his only significant accomplishment was passing tax reform. Or that's what they called it. It is saddling the country with crippling debt now.

Tax reform was is is still necessary. It has shown that low taxes do prompt investment and job growth. It was just too much.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: On top of all this, Trump is the guy scared to release his tax returns, probably for fear they will expose lies and possible crimes. Even though he promised he would after the election. Big red flag.

Some things are just nobody's business. I spent most of my life as an hourly worker and it didn't take long to under stand why my dad was so private abuot his salary.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: But the sore point is he's a guy that brags about grabbing women by the genitals, without even asking. The 19 women who filed complaints towards him are credible. Which is why he's particularly tone deaf to put someone on the court with similar problems.

Kavanaugh ?

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: As Ford's testimony, it was credible. She specified information that was non public. How did she know that he drank alcohol illegally?

Give it a rest.

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: His calendar looked like he partied a lot. Parts of Kavanaugh's defense was contradicted by people who knew him. You notice he never took a lie detector test. And the FBI didn't talk to a lot of people.

uh huh

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: All the controversy would have been avoided if they stuck with the 60 vote rule. Instead he's making a huge power grab.

Who started that?

yaaarrrgg;1520991 wrote: Personally I just view Trump more like a comedy. A guy BS's his way to the oval office. Would be a great movie. It's all kinda funny in a way, though the joke is on us.

I am no fan of the Don, but I choose not to be obsessed with it.
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

tude dog;1520993 wrote:

He cried and still cries about how he is unfairly treated. He also challenged the popular vote. Seems the two of you fail to recognize the wisdom of our founding fathers in drafting a constitution which allows a system which represents all of America.

But did it? The Constitution originally represented less than half the country, given that women and slaves couldn't vote. It had a mix of really good and bad ideas.

It's worth thinking about... We place more importance on imaginary boundary lines than we do flesh and blood people.
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

tude dog;1520993 wrote: That and the number of years dodging the draft, which IMO disqualified Bill Clinton. If I bothered I could attack Hillary for similar reasons.

Whatever that is.

Whatever that is.

He cried and still cries about how he is unfairly treated. He also challenged the popular vote. Seems the two of you fail to recognize the wisdom of our founding fathers in draftint a constitution which allows a system which represents all of America.

Ya ain't leaned about promises?

That was part of a promise which he kept, t select a Justice who favore the Constutiion.

Tax reform was is is still necessary. It has shown that low taxes do prompt investment and job growth. It was just too much.

Some things are just nobody's business. I spent most of my life as an hourly worker and it didn't take long to under stand why my dad was so private abuot his salary.

Kavanaugh ?

Give it a rest.

uh huh

Who started that?

I am no fan of the Don, but I choose not to be obsessed with it.

I misspoke, I should have said I respect the office of the Presidency not the man. He is our president and I hope he succeeds and does some good for Americans while he is in there, it seems like the media and left hope he fails so they can make fun of him.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

U.S. Government Deficit Grew 17% in Fiscal 2018

WASHINGTON--The federal deficit widened last year amid higher government spending—including rising interest costs on the debt and increased funding for the military—and flat revenues following last year’s tax cut.

The government ran a $779 billion deficit in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, the Treasury Department said Monday. That is the largest annual deficit in six years and 17% higher than the $666 billion deficit in fiscal 2017. As a share of gross domestic product, the deficit totaled 3.9%, up from 3.5% a year earlier and the third consecutive increase.

The deficit would have been even higher if not for shifts in the timing of certain payments, Treasury said.

WASHINGTON--The federal deficit widened last year amid higher government spending—including rising interest costs on the debt and increased funding for the military—and flat revenues following last year’s tax cut.

The government ran a $779 billion deficit in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, the Treasury Department said Monday. That is the largest annual deficit in six years and 17% higher than the $666 billion deficit in fiscal 2017. As a share of gross domestic product, the deficit totaled 3.9%, up from 3.5% a year earlier and the third consecutive increase.

The deficit would have been even higher if not for shifts in the timing of certain payments, Treasury said.

Return to “Societal Issues News”