Exit Tim Farron pursued by a delusion

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Post by spot »

Quite why Tim Farron has resigned the Liberal leadership I'm not sure. He had someone's dog shot on Dartmoor? Unlikely. Clapham Common? No. I don't know much about him, I know even less about who could take over in his place. Where are the Jo Grimonds, the Mighty David Steels of yesteryear? What became of the party of Gladstone?

He can't manage being party leader at the same time as remaining faithful to Christ, apparently.

I knew it takes all sorts, but I hadn't known there were that many sorts out there.

Ah. eta: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... on-gay-sex

So now we know. Though I don't remember Jesus throwing stones at any of his man-friends.

All I can see resulting from this resignation is that Tim Farron is going to be asked by reporters for the rest of his life whether he really thinks gay sex is sinful and if not why did he resign, he's scarcely lifted the pressure.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

The irony is no one asked theresa may the same question and the way she has voted on these issues does not stand up to scrutiny.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10426 ... head/votes

You can't stand up for human rights and in particular women's rights and be a christian especially if of the bible is the word of god persuasion.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

A decent man, I think, just not with the character to lead a political party. Perhaps I mean charisma more than character.

Edward Davey would be my candidate for the leadership.

I have a suspicion that May will last until after the brexit matter is resolved. I'm not sure anyone else wants to touch it until that can be blamed on someone else.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

...been trying to sort out my impressions of the man. I think he was genuine and honest and his beliefs helped with this. I think Belief in general was something he considered personal for all people. Thus he could legislate to give people the choice over abortion (liberal) and at the same time personally oppose it (Belief). Unfortunately he didn't make this clear, or indeed just tell the interviewer (politely) to eff off. On top of that when he got rattled he wittered. Sigh.

I think he was right to go and I've ended with more respect for the guy than when I started. Not all politicians get that.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Current Political Events”